AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-14, 06:59   Link #81
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
so Sakura is good at shading/inking and the other guy is the background artist
Er, no. Effects =/= Background. The episode showed that everyone there sucked at drawing background.
R.LocK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 07:12   Link #82
bastek66

Was that Tatsuhisa and Kayano as manga characters near end of episode?
Old 2014-07-14, 07:38   Link #83
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Works in the same demographic tend to overlap in style and usage of certain tropes.
Are you implying that the demographics of say, Nakayoshi or Ribon seamlessly overlaps with that of Hana to yume and its spinoffs, or Melody? "Girls and young women" is a huge demographics with huge variation in taste and interests.

Quote:
Just because they're not descriptive terms set in stone like real genres doesn't mean the words carry no connotation about the nature of the work.
The words carry connotations of stereotypes. There are a bunch of shounen manga you'd probably call shoujo manga in an instant, and a bunch of shoujo manga people love to call josei or even seinen (because god forbid girls be interested in serious themes, no, that's for men only).

Quote:
If literary demographics carried no connotation of a specific style, then you wouldn't have people saying that this show is parodying shoujo manga, even with no knowledge of the mangaka's background. How could you parody manga published for a certain demographic if works in that demographic have nothing in common?
The "shoujo manga" used in this context is almost always a shorthand for the "cute romance" genre because that's the stereotypical image of shoujo manga, like Jump type fight manga is the stereotypical image of "shounen manga". It's not meant to describe the entire shoujo "label" which includes romance (of all kinds), adventure, mystery, horror, etc., in various settings from real life to historical, fantasy and sci-fi. If you think "shoujo manga" is like Ao Haru Ride or the kind of cute romance that's being parodied here, check out Juuousei by Itsuki Natsumi, Oooku by Yoshinaga Fumi or Himitsu -Top Secret- by Shimizu Reiko (this latter is one of the more disturbing manga I've read).

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2014-07-14 at 09:03. Reason: typo
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 09:03   Link #84
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
I think it's someone else doing the singing voice for Yuzuki. But damn, she's so funny because she acted like a jerkass from the outside, and a singing goddess on the inside!

Still, it sucks that both Nozoki-kun and Sakura didn't blackmail her...
What would they blackmail her about? Her singing? It's not like it's a secret.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 09:38   Link #85
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What would they blackmail her about? Her singing? It's not like it's a secret.
Because, singing while appearing as a punk is the most embarrassing thing ever and most of the characters might take advantage of Yuzuki.
Old 2014-07-14, 10:06   Link #86
Tenzen12

But Yuzuki doesn't take pride from being punk, she belive be sensible and socialy apt on top of that she doesn't give a manure about what other people thing about her. There is no point hide her "gentle side".

...unless she has some other reasons.
Old 2014-07-14, 10:11   Link #87
LKK

Benigmatica, she's a member of the Glee Club. Her school nickname is The Lorelei of the Glee Club. Like Anh Minh said, it's not a secret that she's trying to hide. There's no opportunity for blackmail when the information is fairly well-known.

Besides, I don't agree that's she intentionally has a punk persona. I think that's just how she is. I doubt she'd answer "Yes, I am" if you asked her if she was a punk. She'd probably scowl at you in disbelief.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list

Last edited by LKK; 2014-07-14 at 10:12. Reason: grammar
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 10:14   Link #88
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Yeah, I'm not sure that you CAN blackmail Seo with that, as her being part of the glee club seems to be fairly well-known (unless you happen to be Nozaki-kun).
Old 2014-07-14, 10:44   Link #89
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

The craziness of this show reminds me alot of Love Lab when it comes to comedy timing and reaction. I'm really liking this show a lot so far.
Suzuki-Goro

Character:
Original Art
Old 2014-07-14, 10:49   Link #90
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure that you CAN blackmail Seo with that, as her being part of the glee club seems to be fairly well-known (unless you happen to be Nozaki-kun).
To be honest, I am not sure if you CAN blackmail Seo with ANYTHING. That would require enough empathy to care what other people think at least...
Old 2014-07-14, 17:38   Link #91
Itlandm
Porcupine

I want an episode of Seo signing hymns. Wow. Make that two episodes. They were not lying about her voice.

Apart from that, it was amusing once again. Definitely enjoying this series so far.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 20:45   Link #92
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

First episode was average. But 2nd episode was great! I thought this was a Shoujo romance + comedy, but it's clear now this is a pure gag series. I love the introduction of Mikorin and Seo. Seo is just too lulz!! Got to stay on this show to watch her antics.
Old 2014-07-14, 21:44   Link #93
dniv
I destroy illusions

"This is fraud!"

+_+

I'm sold.

Also, Accelerator's VA playing "Mikorin" is priceless.

LOL.

This show is awesome.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 02:27   Link #94
desrtsku
Kyaaaa!!!!

Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
^ Talk about irony, his first name is Mikoto and he's a Tsundere.

But God, Mikoshiba's so damn hhnngg for a boy. No wonder Nozaki takes him as a reference for his moe MC. Now, you can speculate that all of his characters may be based on acquaintances.

I can't when for all the characters to be introduced.
Old 2014-07-15, 03:33   Link #95
Iron Maw
Devil Buster

ep 2

Seo is the best girl. Full stop.

But Mikorin's cheesiness is hilarious too.

Really enjoyed the 2nd ep much more than the first though. The gags where handle a bit better this time without one coming across as too repetitive or lengthy. Hopefully the rest of the anime stays on this course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Nah nah nah nah nah.

You got to let her build up the expectations so Nozaki can crush it at its peak. That's why those gags worked so well, because Sakura firmly believed in the typical Shoujo romance developments. The amount of joy when her belief shattered is so exhilarating.
Sure I can agree with this for stuff like the first scene and bicycle jokes, but the second confession was annoying since it was play pretty straight for the most part. Reusing the same punchline (only from Sakura this time) didn't help matters either, especially when we know she's too chicken to do anyway.

I much prefer her when she playing the snarky striaghtman to Nozaki and co like in this episode. In fact this series now reminds me of D-Frag and Fujimura-kun Mates where have a gathering of eccentric characters around one normal one. Only it seems like Nozaki and Sakura are kind of sharing the role of tsukkomi.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 05:40   Link #96
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Works in the same demographic tend to overlap in style and usage of certain tropes.

Just because they're not descriptive terms set in stone like real genres doesn't mean the words carry no connotation about the nature of the work.

If literary demographics carried no connotation of a specific style, then you wouldn't have people saying that this show is parodying shoujo manga, even with no knowledge of the mangaka's background. How could you parody manga published for a certain demographic if works in that demographic have nothing in common?
The whole mindset behind this series seems to be to subvert demographic (and as others have said, demographic and genre are different things) and gender cliche. The series itself is about flipping things on their head, and events within the narrative itself are about flipping things on their head. It doesn't make a lot of sense to define this is a shoujo simply because the mangaka has written shoujo before.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 09:56   Link #97
Mr Nr

Man this season is full of good well written comedy. 2nd episode definitely makes this anime the best comedy of this season even with all the other great ones. This whole anime is basically subverting the whole shojo genre. Mikoto is the most tsundere male I have ever seen in anime. I just thought he was going a real tough guy but nope his more of the 'notice me senpai' type of character. Also it was so hilarious and makes sense that Umetarou basically made Mikoto the heroine of his manga. Yuzuki being completely oblivious to everyone one else and is also a really good singer is hilarious. If this anime continues like this I reckon we've got a winner for best comedy this season.
Mr Nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 10:32   Link #98
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinZwei View Post
The craziness of this show reminds me alot of Love Lab when it comes to comedy timing and reaction. I'm really liking this show a lot so far.
not surprising since they're from the same studio.

I still haven't decided if I like this, though I'm willing to give this one a try given that Mikakunin and love lab were very enjoyable series.

edit: ep02 won me over. I hope all those other characters from the OP are also interesting

Last edited by frodonk; 2014-07-15 at 11:15.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 10:41   Link #99
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nr View Post
This whole anime is basically subverting the whole shojo genre.
No, it lampshades the stereotypical high school romance genre. ("Shoujo manga" is not a genre, and it's not made up of cute high school romances, ffs.)

By the way, this show reminds me a LOT of Otomen, which also has one of the main male characters writing a shoujo manga (secretly, though), and it even has the male protagonist (Asuka) serving as the model for the fictional shoujo manga's heroine (also called Asuka), while his female love interest Ryou is the model for the fictional manga's male love interest... yeah. Nozaki-kun is hilarious and at times spot-on, but so far it's still not up to Otomen's best moments...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 11:24   Link #100
Mr Nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
No, it lampshades the stereotypical high school romance genre. ("Shoujo manga" is not a genre, and it's not made up of cute high school romances, ffs.)
Well sorry about that written the post without much checking afterwards. Only now I feel like a colossal idiot that I should have known shoujo is clearly not a genre and instead written what you said. Next time I'll check the facts before posting. I may not know everything (I've only started watching anime a year ago) but I've got the internet to back me up (at least I hope so).
Mr Nr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-koma, comedy