AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Down with post counts?
Yes 47 53.41%
No 41 46.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-04, 03:43   Link #41
EbonySeraphim
Phat Poster/Thread Killer

Send a message via AIM to EbonySeraphim
I voted yes, we should not display post counts for exactly the same reasons as have been stated. People who know me in the little time I have been posting in this forum know that I include a lot (often too much) content in my posts, and yet I only have a bit over 100 posts(as of this post). I would bet that in my mere 100 posts, that I have more words and actual information than most people who have around 1000 posts. Of course, that bit of information is perhaps giving me a superiority complex - that if someone said "I have more posts than you," I would respond and smack them in the face and say "I have more information than you."

Really though, board reputations can only be seen through members who read the forum often enough. Notice it doesn't even entail posting at all. Someone would know my habits better than someone else who has been here for a year or so over someone who has 1000 posts, especially if they read this forum often enough to actually read what I write. That alone shows that post counts are meaningless. Even I, who writes pages and pages of good(I'd like to think) information on whatever topic I dive into, don't know people around here well enough to make judgement. I have met a few people that I have "judged" because I have debated with them, but I am defintiely not experienced enough as far as reading all of the threads around here - especially the insanely long ones like Gif Animation Request, and other "Official" threads that are in excess of 500 replies. Other people who make judgement on others, should all just die :fingers: . You can't claim to know this forum like you're something special unless you put forth a lot of time into reading and understanding what people write. In my little experience here with my long winded posts, I can tell that not many people read what I write and fully understand it by the replies I usually get. That tells me people aren't putting forth that much time to care about this forum enough to be considered "special" or "honorable."

Where the hell was I going at the end of that? Shows that I like to write way to much useless crap. Oh well - in the end, post counts suck.
Old 2004-05-04, 03:56   Link #42
Palani
///_^

It looks like the people who voted Yes have come out victorious. Post counts are gone. Aah I won't miss them. But is is just me or is Join Date now displayed instead. Or was it there already. Well I guess it's time to start judging people by how integillent their reactions are instead of how much the posted ...
Old 2004-05-04, 04:54   Link #43
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Like Muir Woods already posted, it was my intention to remove it ages ago, but back
then I got server errors and kind of forgot about it in the mean while. Seems like either
those server errors are solved, or they don't happen with FireFox (for some odd reason),
so the post counts are gone.

I've applied the seemingly accepted compromise and only removed them from the "postbit"
templates, they're still visible on member profile pages.
Old 2004-05-04, 06:32   Link #44
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

*GASP*age! I woke up this morning to see that post counts have been removed! I didn't expect the change to happen so soon. I feel so... empty.
Old 2004-05-04, 08:26   Link #45
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
*GASP*age! I woke up this morning to see that post counts have been removed! I didn't expect the change to happen so soon. I feel so... empty.
You're not the only one...after waking up and seeing the posts gone...it just makes the board look so naked w/o them...Oh well, it's not like i didn't expect them to not take them out

btw...aren't jellyfish's somewhat empty anyway?

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-05-04, 09:35   Link #46
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
The only strange thing is that now the reputation thing seems rather alone, it's quite wierd I think.
Or perhaps it's just me...
Old 2004-05-04, 10:58   Link #47
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
I read up on this from the old site and when this thread opened up. I didn't think that it would happen...guess I was wrong. The members above give good points on why it should or shouldn't be taken down. Personally, I've felt kind of intimidated by some whom have higher post counts, sometimes. I've felt the wrath of someone when I first started posting. It was a learning experience. I like the idea of having it in your profile still. You can see how active you are w/o worrying about anyone else. As for the rep icon...maybe it can do a little dance or something??

Old 2004-05-04, 11:18   Link #48
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

AMEN

THANKS

*off to do happy dance while secretly hoping I'll see less post whoring*

Old 2004-05-04, 12:12   Link #49
Sukanar Edero

Send a message via AIM to Sukanar Edero Send a message via Yahoo to Sukanar Edero
i would have to say that haveing a post count just makes the people with a higher post count then others think that they have more power then others, and the ones with the lower counts like 1-70 or so think of themselfs as newbes...well some do others don't, so i say down with the post count ^.^
Old 2004-05-04, 12:21   Link #50
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I'm sorry ... but no matter how you look at it you are still a newbie ... post count or not.

Here I thought newbie ment new member ...
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Old 2004-05-04, 12:34   Link #51
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Sukanar Edero - In this forum i don't think there are many people that actually rub in their post count in newbie's faces...not saying that there aren't any...just that there might only be a couple. All of the top posters in the forum are generally nice people that post for either fun, or post to help out other people, and those being on the top don't go around rubbing it into people's faces

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF

- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-05-04, 15:35   Link #52
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
AMEN

THANKS

*off to do happy dance while secretly hoping I'll see less post whoring*

i havent actually seen any post whoring on a massive scale.

oh well. i guess i will just let this die then

= = <--- didnt even notice it was gone till i saw GDHpro's post.
Old 2004-05-04, 16:31   Link #53
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Whats the deal with the different sayings when you hover over the new icon. Ive seen 2 so far?
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2004-05-04, 16:35   Link #54
Secca
nya`
*Artist

That's the reputation button, everyone been talking about. ^^
Old 2004-05-04, 16:37   Link #55
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi_shay
Whats the deal with the different sayings when you hover over the new icon. Ive seen 2 so far?
That question is answered in Reputation. Please don't discuss it here.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-05-04, 16:52   Link #56
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
That question is answered in Reputation. Please don't discuss it here.
Not that i mean the little green icon that when hoverd over says blah blah "is on a something road". But what im asking is that i have seen it another colour saying something completely different. So why and what is it.

If im being stupid dont hesitate to be harsh in your reply and just tell me go take a hike!
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2004-05-04, 16:56   Link #57
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

That's exactly what it is...it's the reputation level of the person...

*thinks that i shouldn't have deleted my entire post *

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF

- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-05-04, 18:49   Link #58
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

lol No more Post Count!!??

Anyway I voted positive for the same reasons as ElvenPath

Especialy this part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
A good compromise would be to stop displaying post count in posts but it will be still visible in the person's profile.
Post count should still be in the user's profile IMO. Also the part where the Mod has to know with who they're dealing with too.

But then again I don't realy care about post counts.. I just thought it was a cool feature. MAybe a colored bar rate just to show how mutch your involved in the forums activity could be a intresting replacement. The more often your online the brighter the bar gest.. Or simply the post count not as a nomber but as a colored bar..

Or just forget the entire Members history..
Old 2004-05-04, 19:47   Link #59
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Post count should still be in the user's profile IMO. Also the part where the Mod has to know with who they're dealing with too.
The post count still is in the User's Profile they just took it off the posts themselves so they're not as noticable as before

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF

- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-05-04, 19:52   Link #60
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
The post count still is in the User's Profile they just took it off the posts themselves so they're not as noticable as before
So if you're REALLY curious about everyone...knock yourself out b/c that be alot of profiles popping up

Closed Thread