AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-05-04, 10:28   Link #1
Ngk

Shareaza - is it a good?

Hi,
I just downloaded a program call "Shareaza", and i was wondering if anyone is using it as well. It seems to be similar to other BT programs too. Apprently, It shows that i can download animes with an average of 500 kb/s +, but surprisingly, it doesnt seem to get THAT fast etc. So, i was wondering what if anyone is using it etc.

Thanks alot
Ngk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 11:36   Link #2
KiNG

You don't get this kind of speed with Shareaza in an instant. You may think it's high because the download speed rate is displayed in Kilobits units, while you're familiar with KiloBytes, which is "normal". I use Shareaza, but currently I don't have it installed on my PC, so let's see if I can recall how to change the rates(s);

In Shareaza; View/Shareaza--> Shareaza Settings; At the left, move to Connection/Network, and at the right look for 'Show Rates In' option. Once you have found it, choose 'KB/s', and click 'OK'.

Now to your question; I wouldn't use Shareaza as a BitTorrent client, but as a Gnutella 1 & 2 client, and perhaps eDonkey2000 client. Usually I use it to get small files, like songs, applications, etc. I've had some problems with Sharaza as my BitTorrent client (I don't remember the exact version), it used to get stuck, and it has always taken Shareaza quite a time in order to connect to Peers/Seeds. So, basically, I say that you, get yourself a better BitTorrent client, like ABC, TorrentStorm, Azureus (requires Java), or others.
KiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 14:18   Link #3
brood-faun

I recommend not to use Shareaza as it it consider a leeching client and some tracker bans it. Bittorando (a.k.a. shadows) still the better BT client than most..
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 17:09   Link #4
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brood-faun
I recommend not to use Shareaza as it it consider a leeching client and some tracker bans it.
Good reason, except for the slight problem that it's not a leeching client, and no tracker that I know of bans it.
Old 2004-05-04, 18:00   Link #5
DeHackEd

I can vouch for shareaza being a buggy piece of crap. I have some tracker logs that would give mxs a nightmare or two.

I've also heard complaints about it DoSing other p2p networks, as well as that leeching thing. That was a while ago. Things might have been fixed. But I'm still not going to use it, nor recommend anyone else use it.

And it has nothing to do with the fact that I don't run Windows.
DeHackEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 18:08   Link #6
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeHackEd
I've also heard complaints about it DoSing other p2p networks, as well as that leeching thing.
Neither rumor is true. The creator of BearShare has a personal grudge against the Shareaza team, and likely made up both stories.
Old 2004-05-05, 09:15   Link #7
bluemist
i am the mist

When I 'can't connect to the tracker' using ABC (this happens frequently nowadays), I download through Shareaza and it works just fine.

I really would wonder what's wrong with my ABC client, maybe some config I don't know.

As a Gnutella 1/2 and eDonkey client, it's CRAP. I get better results with Kazaa than this (to think Kazaa is crap already).
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 15:51   Link #8
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Good reason, except for the slight problem that it's not a leeching client, and no tracker that I know of bans it.

Actually animetorrents.com banned it I know that...only one I know of yet. when I used it I hit my record download rate of 1090 kb's (yes kilobites not kilobits) on a well seeded torrent but the program itself took supremecy over other programs so I had to delete it.

Cheers
Rob
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 01:19   Link #9
Musashiden

I find it ok but I'd stick with a normal version there more realiable because somtimes Shareza can't play a movie so it just plays the audio instead
Old 2004-05-08, 02:30   Link #10
wazzup

i use shareaza as a bitorrent client i think its screwed...... it says its downloading at 35 kb/sec ( KB/sec and not kilobits/sec ) but yet... to download an ep of naruto ( approx 176 mb ) it took me 6 hours ..... now i would think at my speed usually it takes 2-3 hours max... but 6 hours??? W00t!

and it screws up when ur downloading big files ( more than 2 gig ) ... when u restart the program it gets stuck when u havea 2 gig + file in queue ......i woudnt recomend shareaza.....

Among the following :

ABC, TorrentStorm, Azureus

which bt client do u guys suggest i try first????

thanks
wazzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 00:34   Link #11
WaterElf

not much good as you thought

i choose bittorrent plus II

very good
Old 2004-05-12, 10:28   Link #12
Xess
Go Suzuka!

I tried it for a while, several months actually. It's quite nice but it is very buggy. I believe the creator wrote most of the bittorrent code for shareaza himself or at least ported it into C++, thus it's still very buggy. But it does have some really good ideas and features.

It's still very much in Beta so I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to test it. But if you give it a year or so, I think it may turn out to be a pretty top notch client since it has alot of really good ideas and features which aren't fully functional. Right now, the bt support is really dodgy and it seems to receive packets incorrectly or something. Or maybe asking for incorrect packets then discarding them.
Old 2004-05-12, 12:23   Link #13
wazzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xess
. Or maybe asking for incorrect packets then discarding them.

ye i think thas what it does.. that would explain some of the probs that i have had
Old 2004-06-10, 14:59   Link #14
Xymor

Smile

Well, the previous versions of Shareaza were indeed very buggy, especially the torrent part. Now Ive been using this 2.0 release and havent found any bugs yet, the torrent works as efficiently as Shadows. I really hope this will greatly improve since Sha is now Opensource .
Xymor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 00:05   Link #15
wazzup

never again am i gonna use shareaza...imo torrentstorm is a good bt prog and im satisfied with it

cheers
Old 2004-07-12, 22:41   Link #16
Mitsuomi

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuomi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsuomi
Shareaza

Has anyone ever heard of this bittorrent client, called shareaza? It's similar to kazaa, but it's bittorrent download. I think it's great. The only problem is, when you have shareaza open, it can sometimes slow down all other applications that use the internet. www.shareaza.com
Mitsuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 01:48   Link #17
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

A few people use it. YOu will need to configure your max upload otherwise by default, takes up your entire upload bw.
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:29.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote