AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-05-05, 14:57   Link #1
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

What is this place?

I was just watching Comic Party Revolution and I saw this weird looking building and was wonder what is that place? I seen the building a lot in Japanese cosplaying pictures so I was wondering what's so important about.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-05, 15:01   Link #2
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

actually... I've been wondering about that too....
Old 2004-05-05, 15:34   Link #3
TronDD
Team the box!

I'll let somenoe who knows the details fill them in but it's basically the big convention center in Tokyo.

EDIT: Here we go http://www.bigsight.jp/english/facility_e/
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 19:33   Link #4
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
I was just watching Comic Party Revolution and I saw this weird looking building and was wonder what is that place? I seen the building a lot in Japanese cosplaying pictures so I was wondering what's so important about.

Spoiler:
That "place" is a mecca for otakus. Basically, it is a huge convention centre where the Tokyo International Anime Festival and the bi-annual Comic Market takes place. However, the picture that you provided shows only the West Wing. To the right of that, there is a bridge that connects to another wing called the East Hall.

This convention centre is located in Ariake, Rinkai-Fukutoshin Island (a man-made island in Tokyo Bay) and was part of a huge megalomaniac project funded by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government. Unfortunately, this project went bankrupt half-way. On the bright side, they were able to complete the FujiTV Building, a Sega Joypolis amusement park, an international heliport, and this convention centre. Rather than go to waste, the guys who run Comic Market decided to rent this place bi-annually for their Comike convention.

This building is officially known as "Tokyo Big Sight Convention Centre." However, it has several known nicknames, such as "the inverted pyramid," "that 'thing' in Ariake," "the legendary saw building*" just to name a few.

Usually, this place is quiet... But every three days in the summer and winter each year, this place becomes a huge mecca that brings in otakus from all over Japan - and recently from the world - to attend the Comike convention. The last estimated admission was anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 people.

The only problem is access to get here. Since the project ran out of funds, this island is not easily accessible. There is one monorail (it's not really a monorail since it runs on wheels) called the Yurikamome, and one train called the Rinkai-Fukutoshinsen. There are also access highways and water-buses, but as I said before, the project ran out of funds so accessibility is not really that great. Seeing how crowded the stations becomes during the convention and the long lines just to buy a ticket to get there is a pain in the ass.

* Legendary Saw - there is a huge monumental red saw that is stuck into the ground right next to Big Sight. Somewhat like the legend of King Arthur, the saying goes "a person who is able to pull that saw out will become the King of Otakus!"
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 20:15   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

kj1980, excuse my ignorance but your description of the convention center makes it sound a lot like Kubo's Otakuland (was that the name? I can't remember) at the end of Otaku no Video.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 21:05   Link #6
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
kj1980, excuse my ignorance but your description of the convention center makes it sound a lot like Kubo's Otakuland (was that the name? I can't remember) at the end of Otaku no Video.
So anyone want to add arms and legs to that thing? =P
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 21:34   Link #7
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Actually, this was supposed to be a massive project to create a huge commercial park - to be a sub-metro of Tokyo.

http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/en...inkai/map.html
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 08:14   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Question about comic-con building in japan

Anyone know anything about this building here in the background?? I've seen it shown in several animes and in articles about japanese manga/anime or anytime there's a big manga or anime con in japan. But I still haven't figured out exactly what the name of the building is or where it's at. Either I wasn't paying attention to the name or it was never mentioned that I can think of. Can anyone help me find some info on this building? It's got my curiousity.
Old 2004-08-03, 09:05   Link #9
LynnieS

That's the Tokyo Big Sight building, if I'm not mistaken. If you're looking for some info on the upcoming con this month, try a search using "Tokyo" and "comic". You should find a thread with kj1980's post on it.

/me am leaving the office now...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 11:28   Link #10
TronDD
Team the box!

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=13076
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 11:48   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Shame we aren't playing the savenger hunt anymore. You certainly win this round's cookie!

And to be fair, LynnieS should win two cookies. And kj1980 deserves a box of cookies as well.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 19:37   Link #12
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ah, ok. Thanks! I tried searching for a thread about it, but I didn't think to look under those keywords. Thanks for the info!