AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-12, 06:10   Link #141
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Hm fan wires touching the case... That shouldnt do anything as the case is not a ground or anything. Its not like a car where the hole frame is a ground and can be uesd to conduct current. Now if the 2 fan wires were bare and were touching eachother that could do it. At that point it doesnt matter if its a fan or not cuz the current isnt going thru the fan anymore.

IMO they shouldnt have bought all that stuff. Just cuz it wont turn on doesnt mean the power supply is fried or anything esle is fried for that matter. Personally I would tell them to leave it alone till you get home and are able to look at it. If anything was fried you will be able to smell the smoky sent from it, and/or see black smoke marks.
Old 2004-06-12, 06:47   Link #142
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I felt like sharing this but didn't want to make a new thread for it. Sort-of relevent to this thread because it regards the (really pimpin') computer I built myself last summer. My mother sent me the following e-mail yesterday:

(Colby is my little brother)

Tyler: Last Thursday Colby announced that your computer
was 'fried'. We got a new power supply unit as the symptom was
that it just did not turn on. When that did not work, we got a new
mother board, processcor and four new fans. I have now spent
450.00 and Colby says it still is not working right.
What do you want me to do?

Please email us back...Colby is very sorry this happened, and we
will never know why, but he did say there were exposed wires from
a couple fans that were touching the case. This morning he
installed a virus protection thing that came with the new
processcor and it immediately said a hacker had just messed with
the system. (?)

Oh how I wept after reading this. I KNEW I should have never let my little brother touch my computer and fill it with all his online games and crap!!! Ohh my poor poor baby!

Does anyone have any idea what happened? It sounds like a short circuit, especially if the power supply didn't work. But could fan wires cause that? (They were Panaflow L1A's if that matters at all). Though the wires were touching, I'm pretty sure they were in their casing.

Dammit, and I was looking so forward to going home to be with my beautiful machine again (and then installing Linux on her)
That's too little information to deduce the problem although I don't think it is a short circuit. (same reason as SiL Eighty - you would have been really unlucky if the isolation of the wires were damaged beforehand).

Just to cheer you up: 2 weeks ago me and some of my friends went to Denmark to celebrate our graduation. When my one of my friends came home, he smelled something burnt and opened the computer case just to see inside covered in a lot of ash. He even assumed that there was a small fire going on in the case... Well, in the end it turned out that only the PSU got killed (lucky bastard) but his room is still smelling of something burnt. (Just to cheer you up even more: My computer did not boot up when I came home, too. But nothing serious, just a damn HDD issue...) Coincidence? I don't think so...
Oh, well, both of us look healthier now since we didn't sit in front of the computer all the time
Hmm, Roots, you couldn't have been in Denmark, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Well Im going to get one of those all in one cd/dvd R burners so I still have 3 of the 5.25 slots for the HDD's. ATM i only plan on using 3 HDD's and maybe adding in a 4th later and running RAID 0 on 2 of them. As for cooling the HDD's I dont know. Ill see how hot it gets and Ill go from there. I can always figure out a way to mount more fans in the case.
Actually you already gave the answer yourself on how to cool your HDDs

Spoiler for 5,25'' fan:

Believe me, your HDDs will most likely become very hot. My Maxtor is about 45C (sorry, can't be bothered to look up the F value ) when idling. That is with open case and without any fans. Since you are using 3-4 HDDs, the heat will stack up, I guess. So I recommend you those 5,25'' cooler units which can cool about 3 HDDs at once - just look for a lot of cfm.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 12:20   Link #143
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Hm fan wires touching the case... That shouldnt do anything as the case is not a ground or anything. Its not like a car where the hole frame is a ground and can be uesd to conduct current. Now if the 2 fan wires were bare and were touching eachother that could do it. At that point it doesnt matter if its a fan or not cuz the current isnt going thru the fan anymore.

IMO they shouldnt have bought all that stuff. Just cuz it wont turn on doesnt mean the power supply is fried or anything esle is fried for that matter. Personally I would tell them to leave it alone till you get home and are able to look at it. If anything was fried you will be able to smell the smoky sent from it, and/or see black smoke marks.
I didn't think that was the problem either. Maybe a power surge during a lightning storm fried the PSU (wait a minute, there's almost never a storm in Phoenix during early summer ). I also told them they shouldn't have bought all that stuff and told them to return it if they still could. And yes I also told them to leave it alone until I get back. My brother will probably still try to fix it himself though, because without that computer he can't use the DSL connection which means he can't get on the internet and waste his youth playing games (I wish there was an evil smiley right about now). I really hope its not a big problem, but with my luck I doubt that's the case
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 15:39   Link #144
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

ya thats a bumer Roots. If i had a lil brother and he jacked up my comp I would be hella pissed . If you are lucky your problem will be no more than a loose connection on the mobo *as if that ever really happens though >_>*

Any way, back onto my build up.

Ok here's the new plan! Im going to get an all in one cd/dvd buner drive in SATA format, 1 80GB Raptor for OS and Games, 2 200GB Seagates and run RAID 0 with them. *HDD's are all SATA*

Now, Im going to use the 2 onboard SATA ports for the cd/cvd drive and the 80GB Raptor. Than use a PCI to SATA RAID controller card for the 2 Seagates. My question now is, Do I Really need a Floppy Drive? I know I need it to install RAID for my chipset but do I need it for the pci card too? And if I do need it, can I get rid of the floppy drive after I install RAID ?
Old 2004-06-12, 20:33   Link #145
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Ok here's the new plan! Im going to get an all in one cd/dvd buner drive in SATA format, 1 80GB Raptor for OS and Games, 2 200GB Seagates and run RAID 0 with them. *HDD's are all SATA*

Now, Im going to use the 2 onboard SATA ports for the cd/cvd drive and the 80GB Raptor. Than use a PCI to SATA RAID controller card for the 2 Seagates. My question now is, Do I Really need a Floppy Drive? I know I need it to install RAID for my chipset but do I need it for the pci card too? And if I do need it, can I get rid of the floppy drive after I install RAID ?
After the data is installed you probably won't use it again. Whenever I need a floppy drive I just 'borrow' one from a spare computer when it's needed. If your old PC has one, just 'borrow' it as needed. ^^;
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 20:45   Link #146
Shadowlord
~DESU

well, for specific parts,

MOBO = DFI INFINITY NFORCE2 ULTRA400 SOCKETA DUAL DDR AGP 5PCI SATA SOUND LAN 1394 $124.06

AMD Athlon Xp (2500 M/2500) or depending on how fast you want even a 2800+
$145.37/124.33 respectively. for 2800+ its $186.56

HD = get 2 80 GIG WD Raptors and have a raid o + 1 setup, where both HD's mirror each other. $304.66 EACH

VIDCARD = you can pick up an x800 pro at ebay for $400, but if you want the best, wait for the fx6800

Sound = sound blaster audigy 2 zs $125.35

HEATSINK = THERMALTAKE EXTREME VOLCANO 12 SOCKETA COPPER 2000-5500RPM 26.5-72.9CFM 4PI and Arctic Silver thermal paste. $53.86

PSU = THERMALTAKE BUTTERFLY 480W POWER SUPPLY 7 COLOUR LED FAN ACTIVE PFC SILVER $115.98

RAM = OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED 2X256MB DDR PC3200 CAS2 W/ COPPER HEAT SPREADER $209.01

CD/DVD = any will do, you can pick them up for as little as $30

CASE = this is a suggestion, but this is the one i have http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Raidmax
$82.11

This comes to a total of $1936.25.

this is in CANADIAN funds, so if you live in the U.S. it will be quite a bit cheaper. This price includes 2 74 GB WD Raptor HD's and a $400 vid card.

I didn't read the earlier posts so i don't know all the info, but this is a pretty good setup. Also, i don't know your price range, so....

Last edited by Shadowlord; 2004-06-12 at 20:59.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 23:17   Link #147
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
well, for specific parts,

MOBO = DFI INFINITY NFORCE2 ULTRA400 SOCKETA DUAL DDR AGP 5PCI SATA SOUND LAN 1394 $124.06

AMD Athlon Xp (2500 M/2500) or depending on how fast you want even a 2800+
$145.37/124.33 respectively. for 2800+ its $186.56

HD = get 2 80 GIG WD Raptors and have a raid o + 1 setup, where both HD's mirror each other. $304.66 EACH

VIDCARD = you can pick up an x800 pro at ebay for $400, but if you want the best, wait for the fx6800

Sound = sound blaster audigy 2 zs $125.35

HEATSINK = THERMALTAKE EXTREME VOLCANO 12 SOCKETA COPPER 2000-5500RPM 26.5-72.9CFM 4PI and Arctic Silver thermal paste. $53.86

PSU = THERMALTAKE BUTTERFLY 480W POWER SUPPLY 7 COLOUR LED FAN ACTIVE PFC SILVER $115.98

RAM = OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED 2X256MB DDR PC3200 CAS2 W/ COPPER HEAT SPREADER $209.01

CD/DVD = any will do, you can pick them up for as little as $30

CASE = this is a suggestion, but this is the one i have http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Raidmax
$82.11

This comes to a total of $1936.25.

this is in CANADIAN funds, so if you live in the U.S. it will be quite a bit cheaper. This price includes 2 74 GB WD Raptor HD's and a $400 vid card.

I didn't read the earlier posts so i don't know all the info, but this is a pretty good setup. Also, i don't know your price range, so....
Is this your actual comp shadowlord or just what you want? Personally I dont see the need for twin 80 gig raptors running in mirror. I doubt that I need that kind of data security in my system. I mean I have an ancient Toshiba 20GB HDD and it hasnt failed me yet ^^ *knocks on wood* I already have my case psu chip mobo and vid card. Almost there !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
After the data is installed you probably won't use it again. Whenever I need a floppy drive I just 'borrow' one from a spare computer when it's needed. If your old PC has one, just 'borrow' it as needed. ^^;
Thanks thats what I needed to know. Now I will be able to save that slot for better things ^^. Buying all my HDD's next paycheck. all 3 of them wee ^^
Old 2004-06-13, 02:56   Link #148
Shadowlord
~DESU

its one of the various setups of an actual computer I want, though it could do with more ram. You could always just use the 2 Sata drives as seperate, but i do heavy gaming, so I want stability and performance.

P.S. you can also get an external Floppy, then just disconnect it when you dont need it.

Last edited by Shadowlord; 2004-06-13 at 03:27.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 14:05   Link #149
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Re: Roots
Hmm, we had a computer at work that wouldn't turn on after a power outage. You know how when you hold down the power button it forces the power supply to power down (in an ATX system)? So we fixed it by just holding down the power button for like 10 seconds a few times. It probably wouldn't help you, as you replaced both the motherboard and psu though...

For troubleshooting, just strip out everything in the computer and try to get it to boot with psu, motherboard, cpu, ram and vid card. Swap those parts out with another computer until you get it working and then you know where the problem is.

Re: floppy
Heh, guess you don't have enough space for a floppy, huh? Should have gotten that Antec with the 120mm fan blowing across the 4 hdd bays. Anyway, I don't have one, but this fdd looks kick ass.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 14:25   Link #150
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I cheated a bit with my FDD. I routed a ribbon cable and molex connector though one of the empty PCI covers and use the floppy that way. ^^;
Old 2004-06-14, 21:01   Link #151
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
Re: Roots
Hmm, we had a computer at work that wouldn't turn on after a power outage. You know how when you hold down the power button it forces the power supply to power down (in an ATX system)? So we fixed it by just holding down the power button for like 10 seconds a few times. It probably wouldn't help you, as you replaced both the motherboard and psu though...

For troubleshooting, just strip out everything in the computer and try to get it to boot with psu, motherboard, cpu, ram and vid card. Swap those parts out with another computer until you get it working and then you know where the problem is.

Re: floppy
Heh, guess you don't have enough space for a floppy, huh? Should have gotten that Antec with the 120mm fan blowing across the 4 hdd bays. Anyway, I don't have one, but this fdd looks kick ass.
I have enough room for all that I want Its just that I will never need the Floppy again after my 1 time use unless I have to reformat or whatever. In my eyes its dead weight. Ill just use the one on my computer now when i goto install the drivers than swap it back when im done ^^;

New question when changing the floppy in and out do I have to edit the bios everytime?
Old 2004-07-12, 22:43   Link #152
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Sorry For the Double Post but its time I revive this thread!

As of 5 mins ago I was finally able to turn my PC on!!!!!! YAY! But Im still screwing around w/ all the BIOS settings and what not. They are getting kinda confusing >_<. But anyways Im extremly happy that it turned on on the 1st try ^^

Here are the specs So far. *Note Im not done yet ^^*

Pentium4 3.0E Ghz Prescott core w/ Hyper Threading

MSI 875P Neo mother board

ATI Radeon 9800PRO

74GB 10k RPM SATA Wester Digital HDD

2x Sticks of 512MB Crucial DDR400 PC3200 RAM

Nec DVD/CD RW

Aerogate II Fan controller / System Temp monitor

Thermaltake Tower112 "heatpipe cpu heatsink"

Artic Silver thermal grease

Themaltake 480W psu

Powermax Crystal Black Acrylic case ^_^

Now I got a few questions. First off my cpu is running pretty friggen hot at idle. Im going to get 2 more fans to mount up to my already HUMUNGOUS heatsink. *Im not kidding this thing is huge* I had the thing going for like 10-15 mins just messing around in the BIOS and when I checked the System Health it read that my CPU was at 147 f / 64 C when i turned it off. Is this a "SAFE" temperature to be just doing light stuff? I dont want to burn out my CPU on the 1st day >_<.

*EDIT* I placed a case fan atop my heatsink and have the side panel open now and its idling at 52 C / 125 F .

*Goes off to continue to tweak board settings. >_<*
Old 2004-07-12, 23:44   Link #153
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

A large part of your heat problem is the case itself, just looking at images of it I can tell the air circulation in it really sucks. If you have a dremel handy...

Use it to get rid of the grills covering the front and side fans. If my assumption is correct, the side fan is also an intake fan (I've seen setups with it as an output fan before) and those grills are reducing the intake volume by more than half. Less air circulatiing within the case means higher temperatures. You also might be interesting in installing a fan on the top panel of the case.

CPU cooling would be even easier and far more efficient if the side fan was actually located above or in the general area of the CPU mount instead of along the bottom... Another thing you might need to be aware of is that your CPU puts out enough heat to cook a small cupcake in less than 12 minutes. It will always run hot and I've heard rumors of Intel dropping the Presscott series for this reason.
Old 2004-07-13, 00:07   Link #154
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Ya Mr Paper. I was actually planning on making 2 more fan ports. 1 ontop of the case and 1 like in the middle of the side panel. The fans that come with this case Suck Ballz but the red LED's are just cool ^^. Anyways Im probably going to get 1 90mil Vantec Tornado and maybe another lil dinker LED fan for exhaust for my Heasink.

No Joke this thing does a good job by itself IMO. The thing is the CPU puts out a ton of heat. I think I'll be fine once I got the air flowing better in the case and get those 2 fans on the heat sink. BTW I have everything installed on this puppy already and it only took me 30 mins ^^. Going to shut down this comp now to transfer my files to the new comp ^^
Old 2004-07-13, 00:28   Link #155
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

This guy got one of those tower112s. Damn, those things look scary. Anyway, he mentioned that the base wasn't machined very cleanly so you should be able to knock off a few degrees by lapping it. Did I mention that thing looks scary? How heavy is it? Those prescotts sure run hot. I heard 70C load is normal. That's almost into thermal stepping range... for the Northwooods.

If you're going to mod the case, no reason not to go with 120s. They'll be quieter than 92s for the same air flow.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 01:06   Link #156
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
This guy got one of those tower112s. Damn, those things look scary. Anyway, he mentioned that the base wasn't machined very cleanly so you should be able to knock off a few degrees by lapping it. Did I mention that thing looks scary? How heavy is it? Those prescotts sure run hot. I heard 70C load is normal. That's almost into thermal stepping range... for the Northwooods.

If you're going to mod the case, no reason not to go with 120s. They'll be quieter than 92s for the same air flow.
Actually I didnt do anything to the base of it seemed fine to me. This thing is HEAVY. Its atleast 1 pound and yes I am worried about it. In those pictures you can see the screw holes on the top where it has the "Tt" emblem. Im in the process of finding some screws long enough so that I can help support the weight of the thing w/ the side panel.

With my board already mounted in my case that Heatsink was a PAIN IN THE ASS to install. I had to remove everything inorder to get it in there right w/ out over tighening the screws and what not. I think it looks sexy though =P.

I'll post pics of my extremly messy *wires all over the place havent had a chance to organize them* comp tomorow or sometime this week. I still got lots of things to do w/ it. Mostly Heat sinks upgrades and crap. Getting a new heat sink for my video card, north ridge chipset, RAM, and some new fans.
Old 2004-07-13, 23:47   Link #157
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

OK here are some pics.

*Note* This shit is still really disorganized ^_^

*The HDD hanging out is my one from my old comp. Was transfering files and what not

front view

Temp of my CPU inclosed w/ a 80mm Vantec Torando blowing

The temp of my Video card. o_O its higher than my cpu >_<

Im definately planning on getting some 120mm fans and a fan controller. I cant control my Vantec Tornado w/ my Aerogate II, and this fan is FRIGGEN LOUD! I can hear this thing down the hall and around the corner...... It did lower my cpu temps by and easy 20 C though ^_^