AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-06, 13:32   Link #1
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 25
d: drive doesn't work...the horror!

Hey all of a sudden, for some unkown reason, my Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308b (my cd drive, or d : has stopped working...i was just about to burn some anime so i could download some more and then...the horror...it wouldnt read any discs...i went to device manager and when i get info on that piece of hardware it says :

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I tried updating the driver with firmware but alas no, it did not work
So i was wondering whether anyone could help me with my horrid problem?! I would be really grateful, and if there is any other information you need to know just say! ^_~
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 13:33   Link #2
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Hmmm, try reseting something in the Bios and saving.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 13:34   Link #3
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Hmmm, try reseting something in the Bios and saving.
Would you be able to dumb that down for me please ^^" ?
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 13:37   Link #4
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I'll try :P

You know the configurations you can go into before windows starts up. I think you press F1 or Delete(It's different for certain pcs). You can check there what drive is attached to where and configure it somewhat. Try to find your drive and reset it or something.



Also, you can uninstall that drive from the remove hardware in control panel and let your pc autodetect and install and configure it again.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 13:37   Link #5
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
when your computer boots up, enter bios (pres F8, or F2)

then fiddle around in there ( is he referring to the boot order?

I personally would check the jumpers/cables to make sure they didnt come loose.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 14:48   Link #6
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Milpitas, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
when your computer boots up, enter bios (pres F8, or F2)
Or Delete or Esc. Does it show up in the BIOS anymore?

After you check the cable, you could try switching the jumpers from master to slave or cable select, if it is on it's own cable. The settings should be printed on the drive. I had a hard drive that dropped off the channel when I set it to master, but was detected ok under cable select. Of course, it died two months later...

Actually try a new cable, not just if it is lose. I had this problem once, with a cable going bad.

Truth be told, it sounds like your drive is toast. If this doesn't work just pony up the £20 and be done with it.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 14:48   Link #7
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Are you getting I/O device errors when you pop CDs into your drive? That happened to me and I had to get a new disk drive.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 16:44   Link #8
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 25
Quote:
Are you getting I/O device errors when you pop CDs into your drive? That happened to me and I had to get a new disk drive.
Nope, just nothing happens, it doesn't appear in "my computer" anymore...
Quote:
Does it show up in the BIOS anymore?
Is that the whole f8 thing? if so yeah it shows up there.
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 17:20   Link #9
SirJeannot
AT Field
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: #animesuki
Age: 18
my try

try booting in safe mode ... by pressing F8 just before the winxp loading screen appears (or when the dos progress bar is on the screen)
then select safe mode
go in the device manager and remove your burner
reboot in normal mode, if it still doesn't work, then it's probably dead
__________________
"facts Jeremy, facts!"
- non factual Jeremy.
SirJeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 17:22   Link #10
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 34
Sometimes, when you remove burning software this can happen. If this is the case, try to ask the software manufactorer about this, often you will find hints in the FAQ section on their website. This can also happen with other Software that messes up ASPI (and/or other) device drivers. Interesting... a nero install will most often fix the problems. Some virtual CD Simulation Software causes trouble too. Well it is just a thought, I don't know whether it is very helpfull ^^'
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 18:12   Link #11
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
How long have you had this drive, and how often have you used it?
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 18:32   Link #12
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 25
Quote:
How long have you had this drive, and how often have you used it?
Ermm not to sure, since about 2001 or so and use it like at least once a week...
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 18:40   Link #13
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
2001? what is that, 16 speed? anyways, may need to clean the lens, could buy a cd-rom cleaning kit (and make sure its specifically for cd-rom, because music cd players clears work diffrently) but probally just 20 more bucks you can get yourself at least a 48 speed.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 18:41   Link #14
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Check if the cables connected to the drive (power supply, Ide cable) are attached firmly.
If that doesn't help, and you already tried a new driver, then it's probably defective Just good CD burners got quite cheap nowadays. Or, you could also get a Dvd burner now.
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 18:45   Link #15
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ~ Montreal
Gwavie I had a few problems solved in the "Thecnical problem" forum.. I think you should try over there. There is people who post only in this part of the forum and theres a reason why. Well at least for some, they're proficient and can probably provide you with a solution on the matter.

<Edit: err.. that more like "Thecnical support" forum ^^
JOJOS'STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 22:00   Link #16
ShadowX114
is my nickname
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 27
hey guys, It's me! I'm back!!

anyway, gravi, I had the same problem a week ago with my 2nd harddisk. First, I checked the BIOS (the blue screen), oh ya thats right, people already explained it. So if the BIOS is detecting your CDRW/DVD , then the cables should be fine. If not, that's mean you have to open up ur computer, and check the cables.

When I had the problem, my cables were fine, I tried to update the driver like you did, but I also had no solution. I will tell you what you can do......wait a couple of days!!! why waiting? Read my story and you will understand:

When I had the problem, after I discovered the problem, I tried to fix it but I couldn't. I was kind of busy so I couldn't check the problem for a week. While the days were passing, my sister were using the PC. When I had the time, I went to "MY Computer" and suddenly its there and its working fine! I don't know how that happened. So maybe all you can do is restart your computer once a day for a week???

Ok, I know my post is helpless, but I just wanted to let you know, that even if you really didn't know how to fix the problem, it could come back.
__________________
I know my english isn't perfect!
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 23:24   Link #17
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA,
Age: 27
Welcome back, ShadowX114!

Make sure you don't have two CDs stuck in the drive...
That's what shut my DVD drive down for some time until one day, both the Underworld and Ah! My Goddess! DVD came out...
__________________
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 03:24   Link #18
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 34
Did anyone of you actually read the error message?

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

It definitly says Windows wasn't able to load the device driver, because it might be corrupted or missing. So i'ld say it is one of the filters that block redbook or whatever sublayer filter, or even worse IDE/ASPI/ATAPI management for the CD/DVD drives has been messed up somehow. In this case, you need to look in the registry whether there is an device driver entry that points to a deleted device driver (or something similar). There are dozens of other ways, such a device driver can be corrupted. Depending on what exactly the problem is, a nero install or windows reinstall might be necessary (except you know what you are doing, than bugfix the registry entries, and look that all necessary drivers are located in the system32 folder, and make sure those files are not corrupted <= reload them from the windows install CD)

list of the non-corrupted files you will need to run a CD/DVD-drive:

%win32dir%/system32/drivers/cdrom.sys
%win32dir%/system32/drivers/imapi.sys
%win32dir%/system32/drivers/redbook.sys
%win32dir%/system32/storprop.dll <= that may not be necessary for devices that are not a DVD drive
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 11:59   Link #19
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 25
Quote:
Gwavie I had a few problems solved in the "Thecnical problem" forum.. I think you should try over there. There is people who post only in this part of the forum and theres a reason why. Well at least for some, they're proficient and can probably provide you with a solution on the matter.
Hmmm i wont post another friend, i will ask a mod to move it to that section!
Quote:
hey guys, It's me! I'm back!!

anyway, gravi, I had the same problem a week ago with my 2nd harddisk. First, I checked the BIOS (the blue screen), oh ya thats right, people already explained it. So if the BIOS is detecting your CDRW/DVD , then the cables should be fine. If not, that's mean you have to open up ur computer, and check the cables.

When I had the problem, my cables were fine, I tried to update the driver like you did, but I also had no solution. I will tell you what you can do......wait a couple of days!!! why waiting? Read my story and you will understand:

When I had the problem, after I discovered the problem, I tried to fix it but I couldn't. I was kind of busy so I couldn't check the problem for a week. While the days were passing, my sister were using the PC. When I had the time, I went to "MY Computer" and suddenly its there and its working fine! I don't know how that happened. So maybe all you can do is restart your computer once a day for a week???
Ok, I know my post is helpless, but I just wanted to let you know, that even if you really didn't know how to fix the problem, it could come back.
*crosses fingers* i hope that my drive is like your story!
Quote:
Make sure you don't have two CDs stuck in the drive...
i am sure i don't, still opens and stuff!
Quote:
Did anyone of you actually read the error message?

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

It definitly says Windows wasn't able to load the device driver, because it might be corrupted or missing. So i'ld say it is one of the filters that block redbook or whatever sublayer filter, or even worse IDE/ASPI/ATAPI management for the CD/DVD drives has been messed up somehow. In this case, you need to look in the registry whether there is an device driver entry that points to a deleted device driver (or something similar). There are dozens of other ways, such a device driver can be corrupted. Depending on what exactly the problem is, a nero install or windows reinstall might be necessary (except you know what you are doing, than bugfix the registry entries, and look that all necessary drivers are located in the system32 folder, and make sure those files are not corrupted <= reload them from the windows install CD)

list of the non-corrupted files you will need to run a CD/DVD-drive:

%win32dir%/system32/drivers/cdrom.sys
%win32dir%/system32/drivers/imapi.sys
%win32dir%/system32/drivers/redbook.sys
%win32dir%/system32/storprop.dll <= that may not be necessary for devices that are not a DVD drive
I was wondering that aswell! *phew* Hmmm i have those files apart from the storprop.dll one but yeah, i will try using the windows cds but thats only if i can find them, i know that some of them got thrown away
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 05:08   Link #20
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Philly!
Age: 39
Send a message via AIM to cabbit
If you have system restore enabled (if you're running XP or 2K) this will help you out alot. Restore to a point before the problem happend or even a week before hand if you have enough disk space for further checkpoints. I usually can roll back about a month if I ever encounter a problem.

Another thing is enter your registry (regedit) and go to HKey_Current_Config/ystem/CurrentControlSet/Enum/IDE/ and look for your cdrom. It should show the cdrom's name there, be it the manufacture name or model number. Delte the key for the cdrom and then reboot. When done correctly and only done as above, it will redetect your cdrom. If you accidentally delete a wrong key for say your hard drive, good luck. Prepare for alot of problems or a reinstall/repair of the OS.

Remember, the above step is dangerous! If you do as stated exactly as stated above, all should be good.

There is no undo!
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.