AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-09, 05:35   Link #1
madeener
君の犬です - bow wow!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: i live in singapore, you know where that is? its not in china! lol
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to madeener
Your Favourite Mangaka

I just wanted to know who was everyones favourite manga-ka(artist) or manga group. For me its Yoshiyuki Sadamoto(Evangelion, .Hack) and CLAMP(CCSakura, X,Tsubasa RC)
madeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 05:57   Link #2
7thMethuselah
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Antwerp area, Belgium, Europa
Age: 38
Hmm some I really like are
Ken Akamatsu (Love Hina, AI Love You) : after LH this guy is my personal god , more seriously I love the way he draws, his characters are beautifully drawn and the funny faces are kickass
Nobohiro Watsuki (Kenshin) : great action scenes, just about the best I've seen in manga.
Yuu Watase (Fushigi Yuugi, Ayashi No Ceres) : I love her shoujo manga's, they read as a train.
Rumiko Takahashi (Inu Yasha, Hundred Stories, ...) : I like just about anything written by him, even though the dart is a little less imo, storywise it's very addictive
CLAMP (Chobits) : a team of mangaka actually but they have great work.
__________________

7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 09:00   Link #3
mayukhers112
Mahou Shonen
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Rumiko Takahashi (Inu Yasha, Hundred Stories, ...) : I like just about anything written by him, even though the dart is a little less imo, storywise it's very addictive
I think Rumiko Takahashi's a woman....sorry if I'm wrong...

But, In response to the thread, I really like:

Natsumi Ando- Zodiac PI and Mariaippoino! (sp) wowed me.

Megumi Tachikawa- I love Mink and St. Tail.

Watase Yuu- I really like Alice 19th, Fushigi Yuugi, and Pajama de Ojama, her debut work!

SOMETIMES Clamp- I ADORE MKR, I like Wish, and a lot of other stuff by them I just like...

I think I prolly forgot about more of my faves, but that's OK....hehe

EDIT: Yup! I did forget some....

Miyazaki- I LOVE YOU!!

Arina Tanemura- I love magical girl series, especially hers...ION, KKJ, FMWS, Ginyu Meika...but I didn't like Time Stranger Kyoko.

Last edited by mayukhers112; 2004-05-17 at 19:35.
mayukhers112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 09:52   Link #4
Vicious
merely a ghost
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 27
Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Without a doubt...

Naoki Urasawa- known as fantastic manga like Monster, Master Keaton and 20th Century Boys. I dare to say Naoki Urasawa is the best mangaka, storywise, that has ever lived. Monster and 20th Century Boys are in my Manga Top 5; the story of both is just perfect. He can make lots of "mind-fu**ings" and plot twists without leaving plot holes; basically he can proove you wrong when you think you know something, and reveal the truth at the very end, where it all makes sense. Naoki Urasawa won a lot of prizes, for instance, he won a lot of times in the Sogakukan Awards (for Yawara, Monster and 20th Century Boys). If you haven't read his manga before, you should

Katsuhiro Otomo- this one doesn't even need a description. The single mention of his name should be enough. Master Katsuhiro Otomo is known by Domu; Mother Sarah; and his greatest job, considered by many (including me) the best manga ever written: AKIRA. Katsuhiro Otomo reinvented the way of writing/drawing manga, he revolutioned the manga/anime market back in the 80's, when he wrote Akira. Akira appeared as a realistic, adult and dark story in the middle of the Shonen manga era (Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball). It influenced almost all science-fiction manga/anime that came after it; it's probably the most influencing manga ever aside of Osamu Tezuka's works.

Miura Kentarou- known for his greatest job, the most violent manga I've ever read: Berserk. Miura Kentarou is a very good mangaka, both drawing-wise and story-wise. When reading Berserk, which's being published since 1989, you can see him advance and improve as a mangaka as the story runs, and I think that's very cool. Berserk story is perfect, it's not violence and sex for fan service- it was meant to be that way. How would you a expect a manga which take place in Middle Age? Lots of demons, fantastic creatures, swords and kings, and also real historical facts, like the catholic fanatism and the Black Death; which I find very cool to learn a little more about history while reading a manga. Berserk is not for the weak of stomach, but for those who can stand (or like) a lot of blood, sex, and a very good story; Berserk is a very good choice.

I'd also like to mention Eiichiro Oda (author of One Piece, my favorite Shonen ever); Nobuhiro Watsuki (author of Rurouni Kenshin, a great Shonen that I enjoyed a lot back then); Akira Toriyama (not for only Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump, but for being the most influencing mangaka in the 90's); Inoue Takehiko (known for Vagabond and Slam Dunk); and Harold Sakuishi (known for a great manga called Beck). Even though I love all of these mangaka, I consider the three above (Urasawa, Otomo, Kentarou) as my favorites mangakas ever.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 11:04   Link #5
Marduk
Shitenn˘ no Hitori
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 33
Yes, Rumiko Takahashi is a woman...^^;

My favorites:

You Higuri: her artwork is simply not of this world qualitywise. And I like her faible for tragic love-stories and characters. ^^

Naoki Urasawa: the master of suspense and plot-twists. 'nuff said.

Riyoko Ikeda: she was one of the first female sh˘jo-mangaka. I simply love her artwork and the 70s flair in her mangas.
Marduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 11:38   Link #6
Key
s e m p i t e r n a l
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Key Send a message via MSN to Key
I'm stuck between CLAMP, Watase Yuu, and Yuki Kaori. *kusu kusu*

Right now, I'm really enjoying Watase-sensei's works (Genbu Kaiden and Zettai Kareshi) and Yuki Kaori will always have a very special place in my heart for her unrivaled artwork and morbid stories.

Then again, there are the mangaka goddesses CLAMP. I'm still a bit peeved at their X hiatus but xxxHOLIC really is enjoyable so I sorta forgive them. And their artwork, though not the best, just has that certain *spark* that no other mangaka has,
__________________
more stars than there are in heaven
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 12:46   Link #7
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck Between Reality and Fantasy
CLAMP: they make good stuff, like Chobits and XXXholic and Tsubasa
Akamatsu Ken: Love Hina, A.I. Love You, and Negima are just...awesome. His characters are so easy to relate to as well (even if they're all really similar i.e. Asuna=Naru)
Takahashi Rumiko: to this day i still read Ranma 1/2 and am patiently waiting for a rerelease of Urusei Yatsura. Maison Ikkoku is really nice too
Koge Donbo: i love Di Gi Charat (nyo) and Pita Ten (su). Her art is just excruciatingly cute.
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 13:20   Link #8
Griffith
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Mohiro Kitoh, the author of Wings of Vendemiare, Bokurano, and, my favorite, Narutaru (Shadow Star in the U.S.). All three of his works are incredibly deep, dark and original. Narutaru is tied for my top three anime series ever, and the manga is even better than the anime.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 16:17   Link #9
Geist
Mind Spirit
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Human body
I've rarely read more than one manga from the same author, but there's one who got my attention:
Azuma Kiyohiko (Azumanga Daioh, Yatsubato!).
I've seen the Azumanga anime (I'm a bit hesitant to buy the manga, because the translation is said to be really crappy in the first volumes) and I'm desperately waiting for more Yatsubato! chapters. When it comes to genres, humor will always be my favorite and I just love his kind of humor (who doesn't?!).
Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 19:21   Link #10
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NYC
Only recently have I began reading manga as well as watching anime, but I especially enjoy the works of Naoki Urasawa of Monster and 20th Century Boys fame. He's very high on many people's lists as a mangaka and he certianly deserves the position. As someone above said, his control of the plot, characters, and ability to fit in numerous plot twists is amazing.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 00:03   Link #11
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck Between Reality and Fantasy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist
I've seen the Azumanga anime (I'm a bit hesitant to buy the manga, because the translation is said to be really crappy in the first volumes)
the first volume is really badly done
vol. 2 is done ok, vol 3+4 are done REALLY well
it's worth picking up, Azumanga Daioh is truly an evolving story
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 05:47   Link #12
pbruiz
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Rumiko Takahashi (Maison Ikkoku, Inuyasha, Urusei Yatsura, Mermaid's Forest)
Masakazu Katsura (Video Girl Ai, DNA2, I"s)
pbruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 09:50   Link #13
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: I go about the world, looking for people to glomp.
Age: 29
Send a message via Yahoo to Kaoru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Without a doubt...

Naoki Urasawa- known as fantastic manga like Monster, Master Keaton and 20th Century Boys. I dare to say Naoki Urasawa is the best mangaka, storywise, that has ever lived. Monster and 20th Century Boys are in my Manga Top 5; the story of both is just perfect. He can make lots of "mind-fu**ings" and plot twists without leaving plot holes; basically he can proove you wrong when you think you know something, and reveal the truth at the very end, where it all makes sense. Naoki Urasawa won a lot of prizes, for instance, he won a lot of times in the Sogakukan Awards (for Yawara, Monster and 20th Century Boys). If you haven't read his manga before, you should

Katsuhiro Otomo- this one doesn't even need a description. The single mention of his name should be enough. Master Katsuhiro Otomo is known by Domu; Mother Sarah; and his greatest job, considered by many (including me) the best manga ever written: AKIRA. Katsuhiro Otomo reinvented the way of writing/drawing manga, he revolutioned the manga/anime market back in the 80's, when he wrote Akira. Akira appeared as a realistic, adult and dark story in the middle of the Shonen manga era (Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball). It influenced almost all science-fiction manga/anime that came after it; it's probably the most influencing manga ever aside of Osamu Tezuka's works.

Miura Kentarou- known for his greatest job, the most violent manga I've ever read: Berserk. Miura Kentarou is a very good mangaka, both drawing-wise and story-wise. When reading Berserk, which's being published since 1989, you can see him advance and improve as a mangaka as the story runs, and I think that's very cool. Berserk story is perfect, it's not violence and sex for fan service- it was meant to be that way. How would you a expect a manga which take place in Middle Age? Lots of demons, fantastic creatures, swords and kings, and also real historical facts, like the catholic fanatism and the Black Death; which I find very cool to learn a little more about history while reading a manga. Berserk is not for the weak of stomach, but for those who can stand (or like) a lot of blood, sex, and a very good story; Berserk is a very good choice.

I'd also like to mention Eiichiro Oda (author of One Piece, my favorite Shonen ever); Nobuhiro Watsuki (author of Rurouni Kenshin, a great Shonen that I enjoyed a lot back then); Akira Toriyama (not for only Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump, but for being the most influencing mangaka in the 90's); Inoue Takehiko (known for Vagabond and Slam Dunk); and Harold Sakuishi (known for a great manga called Beck). Even though I love all of these mangaka, I consider the three above (Urasawa, Otomo, Kentarou) as my favorites mangakas ever.
My sempai knows best.

I agree 100% with what's been said here, as these are artists that are worth mentioning for their superb storytelling and art, as well as for inspiring future mangakas.

Others worth mentioning:

Tsutomu Nihei - Focuses more on art than story, Blame! is his best work to date. What I find so fascinating about this mangaka is his unique, futuresque art style and cyberish settings. Blame! lacks dialogue, but the art certainly makes up for it as Nihei gives you a sense of space and vastness to his world. He's also done other works such as Noise! (short prequel to Blame), a collaboration with Marvel where he did the artwork for SNKIT! (a Wolverine comic), as well as a few other drawings that can be seen in his artbook. If you're into futuristic action with cryptic stories, then this one is for you.

CLAMP - I cannot really classify them as shoujo seeing as how their works diversify in many other genres, but many of their works have meaningful plots and great artwork. Titles such as X/1999, Chobits, and Rayearth go more into plot and have those unexpected endings, while still maintaining good artwork from coinciding artist. The artist for X draws beautifully, especially in latter volumes and the art in XXXholic is just amazing! They are also the creators of the popular magical girl series Card Captor Sakura and other titles such as Wish and Tsubasa are worth checking out if you're already a big fan of these authors.

Rumiko Takahashi - A familiar mangaka, her works have been favorites ever since her first long-running series Urusei Yatsura. Her other series (Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2) have had equal success, but I think Inuyasha to be her best work so far. She mixes shoujo elements with action and comedy and it makes for one entertaining manga. Her popularity has won her a few awards, including one in the U.S. It's pretty obvious why I should mention her, but I can't leave her out as her series are one of the best I've seen!

Yuu Watase - Fantasy/supernatural-themed stories and bishounen is what won me over this mangaka. I adore her characters and every page is a treat to look at. Most notable of her works are Alice 19th, Ayashi no Ceres, and Fushigi Yuugi, all of which I had the pleasure of reading. It's classic shoujo with supernatural themes and beautiful art.

Kaori Yuki - This mangaka is definately worth praising! Her stories and gorgeous art are what make her manga intriguing and so good. Her most best works must be Angel Sanctuary (apocalyptic love story) and Count Cain (twisted Sherlock Holmes). Both draw you into the characters and intertwined stories, with slightly dark humor. Even her short works are worth noting as she mixes dark shoujo with fantasy--such as, Ludwig Kakumei (dark version of classic fairytales), Bloodhound (light comedy and vampires), Neji/Screw (futuristic shoujo), and Kaine (psychological) just to name a few. Incestual undertones are apparent in some of her manga, but some of this is important to the overall story. Considering most of the author's works are aimed towards women, anybody can enjoy her manga if so-called Gothic manga appeals to you. Obviously this one of my favorite mangaka and I know other fans will agree when I say Kaori Yuki defines dark shoujo beautifully.
__________________

## Sladism -- All Your Bunny Are Belong To Us ##
Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 10:09   Link #14
eean
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kirksville, MO, USA
Thumbs up Azuma

Yea, Azuma is currently my favorite mangaka.

Go ahead and buy the manga. Azumanga is one of those series's that makes more sense being in manga form, as the my complaint I've heard about the anime is that its very slow, and though I loved the anime, I would agree. The first volume does make some silly translation decisions (if you can find some of the fan-translated stuff still, that might be worth getting), but that doesn't detract that much and the other volumes are much better (with translation notes where the translator defends their translations from attack more or less... I'm guessing they got a lot of complaints after the first volume).

And Yotsubato! kicks ass, I'm surprised it hasn't been licensed by anyone yet. Maybe because it doesn't fit into one of their neat genre categorizations.

Kouta Hirano - Hellsing's mangaka. The Hellsing manga is gourgeous and unique in its art. Some of the manga pages, despite being in black and white, makes a great desktop wallpaper without changing anything. And the characters are good, the story interesting. But its the art that makes this manga and its mangaka really stand out.

And to the parent who likes Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, both Eva and .hack were not manga originally, the manga just being another part of the franchise (usually manga is what came first). So the mangaka shouldn't get too much credit for these works, outside of the act of adapting the art and story to the new medium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist
I've rarely read more than one manga from the same author, but there's one who got my attention:
Azuma Kiyohiko (Azumanga Daioh, Yatsubato!).
I've seen the Azumanga anime (I'm a bit hesitant to buy the manga, because the translation is said to be really crappy in the first volumes) and I'm desperately waiting for more Yatsubato! chapters. When it comes to genres, humor will always be my favorite and I just love his kind of humor (who doesn't?!).
eean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 22:02   Link #15
Invoker
Cast In The Name Of God
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Since ancient days, it has been here.
Send a message via AIM to Invoker
Osamu Tezuka: He may be old, but he was the best. His work influenced everyone who came after him, and his Black Jack is one of the best manga ever. He's the guy other mangaka with they were.

Go Nagai: Simply for his contrabutions to the mecha genre.
Invoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 12:15   Link #16
Geist
Mind Spirit
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Human body
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
the first volume is really badly done
vol. 2 is done ok, vol 3+4 are done REALLY well
it's worth picking up, Azumanga Daioh is truly an evolving story
Quote:
Originally Posted by eean
Go ahead and buy the manga. Azumanga is one of those series's that makes more sense being in manga form, as the my complaint I've heard about the anime is that its very slow, and though I loved the anime, I would agree. The first volume does make some silly translation decisions (if you can find some of the fan-translated stuff still, that might be worth getting), but that doesn't detract that much and the other volumes are much better (with translation notes where the translator defends their translations from attack more or less... I'm guessing they got a lot of complaints after the first volume).
Seems like I got no other choice then.
Though, I'll still wait some more weeks, since they might consider re-doing some volumes.

OnTopic:

Obata Takeshi (Hikaru no Go, Death Note (oneshot)):
His art is simply amazing, too bad he's not doing the story writing himself.
Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 12:56   Link #17
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Takeuchi Naoko
Takahashi Rumiko
Fujishima Kyosuke ( the art is wonderfull)
Yoshizumi Wataru

Maison Ikkoku is my favorite manga, followed by Marmalade boy.
I started last years Fruits Basket (Natsuki Takaya) and Nana (Ai Yazawa) and i can tell you that this is good stuff. Nana is a manga that i would like to see a live action made of it.

I also like Clamp and the way Watase Yuu draw the eyes of her characters. I just started Ayashi no ceres.
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 10:18   Link #18
madeener
君の犬です - bow wow!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: i live in singapore, you know where that is? its not in china! lol
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to madeener
Quote:
Originally Posted by eean
And to the parent who likes Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, both Eva and .hack were not manga originally, the manga just being another part of the franchise (usually manga is what came first). So the mangaka shouldn't get too much credit for these works, outside of the act of adapting the art and story to the new medium.
Does this mean that he is not a mangaka? I'm quite sure he did have some works of manga. I like the simplicity in his style a lot
madeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 15:11   Link #19
Rokl
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Finland
Age: 26
Gush, I hate that question because there's to many! (It's almost the same thing if you asked me what's my favourite food)

Well, I like Naoko Takeuchis works, or actually work if I'm referring to Sailor Moon. Her artwork is so beautiful and detailed that I could get stucked on watching the pictures.

And the other one is (of course) the one who draw and wrote Fushigi Yűgi, I can't even remember her name.
Rokl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 16:29   Link #20
Saaruto
Anime Watcher
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under a rock
Send a message via AIM to Saaruto Send a message via MSN to Saaruto
Nobohiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin), Kishimoto Masashi (Naruto), Arakawa Hiroaki (Full Metal Alchemist) and of course Eiichiro Oda (One Piece). Those are my favorite animes and mangas.
Saaruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.