AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-12-24, 01:13   Link #21
kuroitatsu
▄ber Alles
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to kuroitatsu
I just watched the anime and i kind of liked it. But for me personally i really dont like how they portrayed The US military. There was a line in there that said remeber pearl harbor launch the torpedoes. Please i dont believe our navy still dwells on pearl harbor. and the high ranking officer who was trying to be forceful by saying who is the police of the world (granted the US has acted like that before) but we dont push every single country around with our military.
kuroitatsu is offline  
Old 2004-12-24, 01:46   Link #22
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroitatsu
I just watched the anime and i kind of liked it. But for me personally i really dont like how they portrayed The US military. There was a line in there that said remeber pearl harbor launch the torpedoes. Please i dont believe our navy still dwells on pearl harbor. and the high ranking officer who was trying to be forceful by saying who is the police of the world (granted the US has acted like that before) but we dont push every single country around with our military.
Actually, you have to remember where anime originates and also take in account their point of view towards things. The US military is the might of the world right now and that's how they portrayed it in FMP (what little bit they did).

I'm not finding anything offending in the way the Japanese have portrayed the US military in anything, considering there are two sides to every coin and the same could be said about the US portrayal of Japan.
__________________
DarkCntry is offline  
Old 2004-12-24, 02:19   Link #23
kuroitatsu
▄ber Alles
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to kuroitatsu
funny because i distictly remember the United States helping rebuild japan after WWII of course this was to gain more allies. I havent seen anyshows in the United States today that have a very bad view of japan, in fact most of them show japan as the technology center of the world (and southpark doesnt count theyre offensive to every one).
kuroitatsu is offline  
Old 2004-12-24, 02:38   Link #24
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroitatsu
funny because i distictly remember the United States helping rebuild japan after WWII of course this was to gain more allies. I havent seen anyshows in the United States today that have a very bad view of japan, in fact most of them show japan as the technology center of the world (and southpark doesnt count theyre offensive to every one).
It's really just a moot point, you cannot expect the Japanese-based shows to portray everything perfectly correct when it doesn't pertain to them directly.

For example, at least in FMP, the US military isn't show as inept people just blowing things up, there's quite a few anime out there that portrays them this way.

Overall, stop looking too deeply into things, enjoy the show, look at it as a 3rd party view...don't just stick people into Japanese, American, whatever.
__________________
DarkCntry is offline  
Old 2004-12-24, 12:15   Link #25
meluckycharms
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
FMP is definetely the best anime out there. I've watched naruto and I've watched Full Metal Alchemist, and neither of them are as good as FMP. But to be fair I'm kinda of a fanboy of the series because I've watched it 4 times... Still I have accses to any other anime, but I still went back to FMP because of the exellent characters.

to me FMP>FMA>Naruto>than all the other ones.
meluckycharms is offline  
Old 2005-01-02, 01:23   Link #26
Talesweaving
Bonta-Kun SWAT Team
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fumo Fumo Land
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meluckycharms
FMP is definetely the best anime out there. I've watched naruto and I've watched Full Metal Alchemist, and neither of them are as good as FMP. But to be fair I'm kinda of a fanboy of the series because I've watched it 4 times... Still I have accses to any other anime, but I still went back to FMP because of the exellent characters.

to me FMP>FMA>Naruto>than all the other ones.
Have to agree. I watched ALL of FMA and Naruto to date.
Naruto is turning out to be like DBZ with no end in sight and FMA just got queer and boring (clapping for alchemy is so BORING... come on even ninjitsu is cooler and ninjitsu is lame) after the first half... SO many plot holes leaving you asking, "WTF WAS THAT?! Did they write that crap under 10 minutes?"
Talesweaving is offline  
Old 2005-01-03, 22:57   Link #27
lana3007
stuck-up feminist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California, the supposedly sunny land
Age: 29
FMP is really good. Probably one of my favorites at the moment, although I still haven't seen FMA or Naruto (I read the manga for Naruto and it's getting annoying the further you get in) and FMP hasn't gotten annoying yet.
And to the US military thing: many of the world's countries talk badly about US and US military. FMP talks bad about Russian military but that doesn't bother me even though I am originally from Russia (not that I really get offended by any of that stuff, but still).
lana3007 is offline  
Old 2005-01-04, 00:22   Link #28
Colonel-
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ca
Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
The FMP universe portrays various giant nations of the world as shitty, even my home nation, and you don't see me complaining =) It's just a story, a well written art form that intends to entertain people.
Colonel- is offline  
Old 2005-01-04, 01:15   Link #29
7thMethuselah
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Antwerp area, Belgium, Europa
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lana3007
FMP is really good. Probably one of my favorites at the moment, although I still haven't seen FMA or Naruto (I read the manga for Naruto and it's getting annoying the further you get in) and FMP hasn't gotten annoying yet.
And to the US military thing: many of the world's countries talk badly about US and US military. FMP talks bad about Russian military but that doesn't bother me even though I am originally from Russia (not that I really get offended by any of that stuff, but still).
Well, the reason for that is simple, FMP was made by japanese people so it's naturl for them to lay a japanese accent. In terms of military power Japan has 2 giants in his immediate area : North Korea and Russia (China is becoming a power). If I remember correctly the North Koreans are shown as helping the terrorists in episode 4 (it was a base in NK).
Add to that that Japan and Russia have a very old dispute over a group of islands north of Japan, they were Japanese islands from somewhere around 1900 to 1945, then they got taken by Russia. Also add that Japan relies on the US too in terms of their defence and the fact that the Cold War has only recently ended, and it's not unnatural for Japanese people to have a negative view towards Russia (certainly in terms of the military).

But I wouldn't take it personally, after all it is only animation and the real enemy in FMP is not Russian at all
7thMethuselah is offline  
Old 2005-01-04, 01:59   Link #30
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroitatsu
I havent seen anyshows in the United States today that have a very bad view of japan, in fact most of them show japan as the technology center of the world (and southpark doesnt count theyre offensive to every one).
From your point of view.

However, from our Japanese point of view, every Hollywood movie and TV shows that depicts Japan is seen as a very skewed representation of our culture. "Rising Sun" was seen as an insult and depicted in a sick and extremely biased way of our business practices. We laughed and took "Kill Bill Vol. 1" as humor. Every Hollywood movie depicts a scene where we all eat sushi and the like.

Things that may seem okay to you does not necessarily mean it seems okay to the person residing in the country that is being depicted.

From our point of view, how the US is portrayed in FMP or in any other anime, we could care less because it is not our country. But you feel offended, which I understand that you are seeing that about how the US is being portrayed in FMP or in any other anime. Why? Because you live there.

And in counterpart, how Japan is portrayed in your Hollywood movies and/or TV shows you really could care less because you don't live in my country. But to us, we see that you represent Japan in a very skewed way - things that you would not understand because you do not live here.

The sad truth is: "The simplest way to depict a person/situation/scene in a show that is not of your country's origin is just go with the basic stereotypes."

So what is my point? No one in Japan would care less how the US is portrayed. Why? Because, quite frankly, we don't live in the US, we could care less what's real. It's an animated show, for crying out loud. Just watch it as entertainment. If you have a problem, go join GONZO or Kyoto Animation which worked on "FMP" and "FMP? Fumoffu" and give your own expertise, if they actually do care.

Give it a rest, relax, and just enjoy the show.
kj1980 is offline  
Old 2005-01-04, 06:07   Link #31
Takemi_Ikazuchi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Alternate World
Actually.. if anything, I took Kill Bill as a satire on Japano-phile Americans
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline  
Old 2005-01-04, 08:36   Link #32
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
Actually.. if anything, I took Kill Bill as a satire on Japano-phile Americans
I think anyone with a bit of Japanese culture knowledge would probably agree with that.

Anything that is created within a certain country will have a skewed aspect to the world abroad, no matter who it is.
__________________
DarkCntry is offline  
Old 2005-01-05, 12:33   Link #33
magicsailor
Hannah
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: casussia ░░"
Age: 27
Send a message via ICQ to magicsailor Send a message via MSN to magicsailor
yesterday in Italy was restarted FMP O.˛
__________________
magicsailor is offline  
Old 2005-12-26, 14:53   Link #34
crazy girl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Latvia-Riga
I sav Full Metal Panic 1. I vant to see 2 and if vill bee 3
crazy girl is offline  
Old 2006-08-19, 09:51   Link #35
Gundam Pilot
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
First Series Of Full Metal Panic

I think the 1st series of Full Metal Panic are a lot better because it has more episodes than the 2nd and 3rd series! This show has a lot more sci-fi mecha action! What do you think about the series?
Gundam Pilot is offline  
Old 2006-08-20, 11:44   Link #36
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroitatsu
I just watched the anime and i kind of liked it. But for me personally i really dont like how they portrayed The US military. There was a line in there that said remeber pearl harbor launch the torpedoes. Please i dont believe our navy still dwells on pearl harbor. and the high ranking officer who was trying to be forceful by saying who is the police of the world (granted the US has acted like that before) but we dont push every single country around with our military.
Have you guys stopped to think about how the FMP universe is different than ours? In FMP, Soviet Russia never was modernized, never fell completely apart. Perhaps the Americans have good reason to still feel angry, although I can't tell you exactly why.
__________________
Masanori Ota is offline  
Old 2006-08-20, 13:34   Link #37
tobas1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I dont like kuroitatsu point of view either. For me (Polish) that moment with 'remember Pearl Harbow' was just funny. If it is offensive for him - well with that kind of standard wchich US movie about WWII is not offensive for Japanese? Japanese soldier is always falf starved madmam harakiring himsalf

aaa and kuroitatsu You better not watch R.O.D - it can be bad for your heart when You see US president pissing himself evry time that something dangerous is happening. - THAT maybe is a little offensive
tobas1 is offline  
Old 2006-08-22, 02:01   Link #38
Killa_hurtz
THE SousukexKaname Fan
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Pilot
I think the 1st series of Full Metal Panic are a lot better because it has more episodes than the 2nd and 3rd series! This show has a lot more sci-fi mecha action! What do you think about the series?
There are reasons why FUMOFFU and TSR are shorter than the first series...the anime series is based directly off the Novel.

The first series I believe is based from volumes 1-7, I think, of the novels.

In those 7 volumes though, there were short story arcs that didn't really have any continuity to the main story, Gauron and the Lambda Driver, so they weren't animated.

Then FUMOFFU came into the picture and the animated most of the pieces of the novel that were left out in the first run.

With the TSR raid though, the answer is quite alot more simple...when it was made, the novel material just didn't exist yet.

Also, concerning TSR, the end of "The End of Day by Day" was pretty much the best well-defined stopping point for an anime series conclusion.

To put it simply...the next few chapters of the main story have been quite hectic and are moving forward quite quickly...so suddenly breaking the continuity could be disasterous for the anime series
Killa_hurtz is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.