AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-10, 13:15   Link #1
sothis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
any fansubbers interested in Arete Hime? (Princess Arete)

http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb...anime&aid=1190

this is a studio 4C movie that i'd be interest in seeing, and was wondering if any fansub groups are considering/would consider picking this up? the raw is around, so i don't think that would be an issue.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 15:07   Link #2
TaMz
ninj4 from the north
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Espoo, Finland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to TaMz
well, I just found the RAW...
but our only translator is currently doing so much that I don't think he'll be willing to do this at the moment...
but I'll treasure the RAW so that if he'll be interested or if some other translator wants it or someone wants to do a joint...
__________________
Freelance lollerslave of doom.
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 15:33   Link #3
Tofusensei
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
I rented this DVD last year in Tokyo... It's rather different from a lot of traditional anime. I didn't think it was worthy of being subbed by maybe someone else will

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 17:52   Link #4
jennwenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: good 'ole US of A
I've wanted to see this translated as well. I have the raw and I know enough Japanese to get by with a general understanding but I miss a lot and certainly can't translate. *sigh*

It was a nice, serene fairy tale-type story. Ghibli-esque, but not quite. I'm a Studio 4C junkie too, so anything they've done I'd really like to see translated.

I know a French version of Arete Hime was screened at a French animation festival a few years ago, but it was never released on DVD there.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 20:30   Link #5
roxfan
Solar Fansubs
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
It's being subbed. Can't promise you any dates, but most of the work has been done.
roxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 23:52   Link #6
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxfan
It's being subbed. Can't promise you any dates, but most of the work has been done.
While I'm sure my request will fall on deaf ears, please consider releasing a DVDSubber script file in lieu of a DVD-ripped AVI(OGM, MKV, etc.) so that people who want to can own their own legitimate subtitled copy of the film.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 04:30   Link #7
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #ToTan @ irc.chatsociety.net
Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_suck
While I'm sure my request will fall on deaf ears, please consider releasing a DVDSubber script file in lieu of a DVD-ripped AVI(OGM, MKV, etc.) so that people who want to can own their own legitimate subtitled copy of the film.
You might want to ask for that in addition instead of in lieu, because as you said, you are sure your request will be ignored. How about trying a more likely request?
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 11:02   Link #8
sothis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
glad to hear it's being worked on.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 11:06   Link #9
Yamano667
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The moon :)
Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
oh yes ..unstoppable ..but we will never win an oscar for doing this
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 11:14   Link #10
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompShrink
You might want to ask for that in addition instead of in lieu, because as you said, you are sure your request will be ignored. How about trying a more likely request?
Because it would probably end up like Wonderful Days did. In case some ofyou weren't aware, the official R3 for the Korean animated film Wonderful Days has english subtitles, and when it was released several groups ripped it and put it on AnimeSuki and their IRC channels. (The R3 costs about $20US, by the way--in other words, comparably priced to R1s) AnimeSuki eventually unlisted it, but how many of the people who had already gotten it for free went out and bought the R3? How many even know that the R3 has English subs?
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 11:46   Link #11
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_suck
Because it would probably end up like Wonderful Days did. In case some ofyou weren't aware, the official R3 for the Korean animated film Wonderful Days has english subtitles, and when it was released several groups ripped it and put it on AnimeSuki and their IRC channels. (The R3 costs about $20US, by the way--in other words, comparably priced to R1s) AnimeSuki eventually unlisted it, but how many of the people who had already gotten it for free went out and bought the R3? How many even know that the R3 has English subs?
Well, I don't see anything on the Arete DVD Information Page (warning: Japanese only!) that says that the Arete DVD has English subtitles...
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 11:50   Link #12
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Pocky
Well, I don't see anything on the Arete DVD Information Page (warning: Japanese only!) that says that the Arete DVD has English subtitles...
If the R2 had english subs, I wouldn't have suggested they release a DVDSubber file for it.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 14:22   Link #13
jennwenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: good 'ole US of A
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_suck
Because it would probably end up like Wonderful Days did. In case some ofyou weren't aware, the official R3 for the Korean animated film Wonderful Days has english subtitles, and when it was released several groups ripped it and put it on AnimeSuki and their IRC channels. (The R3 costs about $20US, by the way--in other words, comparably priced to R1s) AnimeSuki eventually unlisted it, but how many of the people who had already gotten it for free went out and bought the R3? How many even know that the R3 has English subs?
Just about 90-100% of everything listed on Animesuki is available on Japanese DVD (most without subs), so if anyone here really wanted to be "nice" they would provide timed scripts for everything they subbed for use with an official DVD. But yeah, who does?

Many people have no idea that you can get srt-type files with just the subtitles and watch it with a real DVD. (I didn't for the longest time.) It would be a nice trend to provide DVDsubber files in addition to fansubs. Most of the work is already done and groups can alleviate some of their "guilt" by providing the files for a fan who really wants to shell out the R2 or R3.


The Wonderful Days rip really was a shame. Korean animation is having a hard time breaking away from limited selection of children's anime and toy spin-offs that dominate the market. The film more than anything needs the support of sales to give the animation studio a jump and prove that big Korean animation ventures are worthy of being developed and animation doesn't need to be for the 13 and under audience. Wonderful Days didn't do so well in the Korean box office, so something like a US license would really help...

The same thing happened with Oseam with someone putting up a rip. The R3 DVD has English subtitles and it is CHEAP! I really suggest buying it. If anything, the cover art on the DVD is absolutely beautiful and you can't get that with an online copy.

Anyway, I digress. Arete-hime has no English subs. I'd also be interested in a timed-script file in addition to fansubs. I know of a certain DVD script group who's looking for a timed-script for use with R2 DVDs as well.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 22:42   Link #14
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Just about 90-100% of everything listed on Animesuki is available on Japanese DVD (most without subs), so if anyone here really wanted to be "nice" they would provide timed scripts for everything they subbed for use with an official DVD. But yeah, who does?
I do. And I take down the torrents for the TV-rips when I release the scripts, which is ASAP after the DVD comes out.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 00:10   Link #15
jennwenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: good 'ole US of A
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_suck
I do. And I take down the torrents for the TV-rips when I release the scripts, which is ASAP after the DVD comes out.
Really? Just curious, what group are you with? (Or where do you release your scripts?) I'm glad you take the time to do that. I'd love to see more fansubbers do that.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 00:12   Link #16
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Really? Just curious, what group are you with? (Or where do you release your scripts?) I'm glad you take the time to do that. I'd love to see more fansubbers do that.
I'm Torgen from We Suck Fansubs.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 14:14   Link #17
Secret Squirrel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
the only probem I have with the idea of releasing the *.srt or *.ssa files of anything that's available as a raw (going back to the original request) is that it's then very easy for someone else to just add permenant subs to a movie file with any editing software - after stripping out the groups credits and more importantly the "Free fansub - If you bought this you were ripped off" notices, burn and then eBay it
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 14:24   Link #18
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fish-shape Paumanok
Age: 26
They're going to do that anyway.
__________________
Learn to define and spell mo
Shii (formerly known as ashibaka)
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 14:31   Link #19
Secret Squirrel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Why did I know someone was going to say that? :lol:

At least, looking on ebay you do see some negative feedback from people who realise that they've paid out for a fansub, and therefore know to be a bit more careful when they see the notice in the hard subbed video. With a raw and a subtitle file,it would only take a quick ctrl+f- >"Fansub" -> Delete to remove the fansub "disclaimer"

OK you'll get people who don't care that they're buying fansubs, but a lot of people do hate finding out they paid for something that was available free (disregarding the morals of selling fansubs for this point)
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 14:42   Link #20
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
Why did I know someone was going to say that? :lol:

At least, looking on ebay you do see some negative feedback from people who realise that they've paid out for a fansub, and therefore know to be a bit more careful when they see the notice in the hard subbed video. With a raw and a subtitle file,it would only take a quick ctrl+f- >"Fansub" -> Delete to remove the fansub "disclaimer"

OK you'll get people who don't care that they're buying fansubs, but a lot of people do hate finding out they paid for something that was available free (disregarding the morals of selling fansubs for this point)

It's very easy for people to just copy subs while watching a fansub, get a raw themselves, then add in the subs while removing the group credits and fansub notice/warning. You can get timed scripts for different languages (since a lot of non-English fansubbing groups actually release .srt, .smi, or .ssa files regardless of what English fansubbing groups are doing), slap the English translation onto it, and sell it on Ebay after burning it to DVD or VCD. If you know how to time (or know someone who does), that makes it even easier. I don't think you're stopping somebody who's out there to make dishonest money by releasing hard subs as opposed to soft subs. If someone's plans of selling fansubs on Ebay are gonna be thwarted by the fact that there's slightly more work involved, I don't think those people would bother to do it in the first place.
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.