AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-11, 04:45   Link #61
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Indeed, we are spoiled on the R-1 prices. In addition, most 24/26 Episodes Animated Series release in R-2 contain only 2 Episodes per disc + extra goodies that may or may not cost extra, while retaining the price point of 4000-6000 Yen, resulting in 12-13 DVDs per 24/26 Episode Series. FMA DVD Series is a good/worthwhile R-2 release if you think about the rest of the market.
Yup, that's why Japan's thinking of imposing a law that makes it illegal to import DVDs. With the easy accessability of obtaining regionless DVD players, I read that Japanese people are starting to import other region DVDs instead of buying the R2 ones, since it's cheaper. Kinda ironic, isn't it?
Old 2004-05-11, 04:53   Link #62
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeellis01
nothing is gonna beat Akeep + Anbu
I'll have to agree with you there! >_<
Old 2004-05-11, 05:01   Link #63
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
I'll have to agree with you there! >_<
Me three! ANBU/A-Keep rules!

I was lucky and DLed ep. 31 before it got licensed! ^^

The question is... which groups who will continue to sub it and what people will still download it. Hmm.
Old 2004-05-11, 05:44   Link #64
Sparkie
キーウィ

Send a message via MSN to Sparkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravi-T
Me three! ANBU/A-Keep rules!

I was lucky and DLed ep. 31 before it got licensed! ^^

The question is... which groups who will continue to sub it and what people will still download it. Hmm.
yeah I downloaded the eps just in time too but I still don't like this, because the dvd's will take sooo long to come in The Netherlands but the idea of dvd's coming out is cool, definitely gonna buy them
Old 2004-05-11, 05:48   Link #65
user6177
Account Closed By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie
but I still don't like this, because the dvd's will take sooo long to come in The Netherlands but the idea of dvd's coming out is cool, definitely gonna buy them
What options do we have? MangaDVD and Dynamic Visions...
I'll just import R1 (or if/when available R4) then...
Old 2004-05-11, 06:29   Link #66
oDin01

Definitly excited about FMA licence. Funi better not pull that 3 episodes per disc crap. The R2's had 4 episodes each volume so there's no excuse there. (I'm not taking price into consideration). If they do I'll probably be better off just buying the R2's.
Old 2004-05-11, 06:29   Link #67
jakeellis01
We Live In The Moment!!

Send a message via ICQ to jakeellis01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie
yeah I downloaded the eps just in time too but I still don't like this, because the dvd's will take sooo long to come in The Netherlands but the idea of dvd's coming out is cool, definitely gonna buy them
mine is still downloadin... the link was taken off but the torrent still works
Old 2004-05-11, 06:53   Link #68
WillTRiker

I've just been on that anime-keep forum and at least one of the staff members does NOT consider the announcement (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/513/513178p1.html) to be official so they will keep on subbing this until an announcement appears on either animeondvd or ANN.

Wootage!
Old 2004-05-11, 06:56   Link #69
drunken-monkey

awww.... i come on to hope to get 31 and find out this... i dont know if its a good thing or not yet.

so its all coming out on dvd? i guess that is ok, but it is still a shock. its gonna take a while for brits to get this too. *trys working out how much it would be for here, with the overpriced items that usually occur here lol* better start saving my pennies...
Old 2004-05-11, 07:00   Link #70
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Microlith and his metaphorical hardon towards licensed anime makes me believe without a doubt that he really is licensed anime's unofficial posterboy.
Old 2004-05-11, 07:05   Link #71
drunken-monkey

lol, metaprorical hardon ... didnt expect that to be said, but i think it is somehow i can see what you mean.
Old 2004-05-11, 07:21   Link #72
Chris Beveridge

If microlith is the unofficial posterboy, does that mean I get to be the official one?

I don't know why AK wouldn't consider the E3 announcement official. It's obvious that FUNI was holding off on the announcement to tie it into the energy/pr power that Square-enix will build for the game itself and for each side of the property to be able to hype the other. Square will benefit from the anime having run on CN plus the DVDs being released in January when the game gets finished being localized - an extensive job I believe due to how much is actually in the game.

I've heard from some of the magazine folks that were actually at E3 and at the conference, so it's about as official as official can get really. They showed off some of the animation, they talked about the release schedule and they talked about it being on CN already, right while the Square-enix folks were there talking about the game as well. Put a stamp on it Jim, it's licensed.
Old 2004-05-11, 07:21   Link #73
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTRiker
I've just been on that anime-keep forum and at least one of the staff members does NOT consider the announcement (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/513/513178p1.html) to be official so they will keep on subbing this until an announcement appears on either animeondvd or ANN.

Wootage!
Its seems the forum users at Anime-Keep are making fun of Animesuki and this thread. Hehe.. >_<

http://www.anime-keep.org/phpBB2/vie...t=14&start=100

I agree w/ them that it should be post at Animeondvd.com or ANN to be considered as licensed. IMO.
Old 2004-05-11, 07:28   Link #74
Sparkie
キーウィ

Send a message via MSN to Sparkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB666
What options do we have? MangaDVD and Dynamic Visions...
I'll just import R1 (or if/when available R4) then...
we also have Archonia at least...I hope they will sell FMA

Quote:
mine is still downloadin... the link was taken off but the torrent still works
yeah I know it's still working now ^__^ but I don't have the torrents of the old episodes anymore *except for eps 1 & 31 *
Old 2004-05-11, 07:39   Link #75
Denethor

Red face

The fact that an anime is licenced is no big deal at first.

But I think the worst is that the anime will be on Cartoon Network... That means a majority of violent sequences will be censored, and moreover, the diffusion will certainly be... VERY late at night -_- (I feel something like 2 AM)

For the DVDs, that's an other issue : Do you seriously think they'll release the DVDs while the serie will be on Cartoon Network ? In my opinion, they aren't crazy enough to do that, it's too risky for them 'cause they'll loose too much TV rating.

First, you'll have to wait until october, to see the first episods on cartoon network, and then you'll have to wait until the release of the DVDs... I'll let you figure out it'll take a LOOOOONG time...

And for people outside USA... well, let's see... we just have to wait 4 or 5 years ? ^^

anytime, it was one of the best anime I've ever seen... crap, that's so bad it's licenced at a time like that ! I'm sure IGN was just expecting the story to become so exciting to announce that ! ><

/me start winning about how life is cruel, etc... etc...

Old 2004-05-11, 07:48   Link #76
Chris Beveridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denethor
But I think the worst is that the anime will be on Cartoon Network... That means a majority of violent sequences will be censored, and moreover, the diffusion will certainly be... VERY late at night -_- (I feel something like 2 AM)
Er, so don't watch it? As you said, the DVDs will be unaltered, so why 'subject' yourself to the edited for broadcast version? Never mind the drop in visual quality either. I've checked out the first episodes of a few shows, from .hack to gundam seed, and simply cannot watch them broadcast on TV. They look washed out, there's commercials and they're edited. I know this, I know the audience is NOT intended to be me, so I avoid it.

Quote:
For the DVDs, that's an other issue : Do you seriously think they'll release the DVDs while the serie will be on Cartoon Network ? In my opinion, they aren't crazy enough to do that, it's too risky for them 'cause they'll loose too much TV rating.

First, you'll have to wait until october, to see the first episods on cartoon network, and then you'll have to wait until the release of the DVDs... I'll let you figure out it'll take a LOOOOONG time...
yes, I seriously believe they will. In fact, they've already stated it. If this show goes weekly, there'll be 12-16 episodes aired by the time the DVD comes out in January. They'll hit a six week schedule after the first volume for the rest of the volumes, just like their other series that are currently running. Maybe a bit longer if they do 4-5 episodes a volume as I'm hoping they will. But the DVD releases are already planned to come out during the broadcast run.

Frankly, there isn't a huge crossover between those who watch adult swim and those who buy DVDs. On average, the adult swim and toonami crowd are those that don't buy DVDs and just watch what's broadcast. They may get into a show and really love it and pick it up, but there's not a huge crossover. Releasing the DVDs at the same time won't see a drop in viewership.
Old 2004-05-11, 07:56   Link #77
WillTRiker

Sparky ... http://a.scarywater.net/akeep/

I don't know ... and frankly don't care who is right about whether or not is licensed, but I've checked on both the CN and the funimation website and not a word about FMA on it. I'll be watching ANN and animeondvd to see it pops on there, but I sure do hope not .... at least not until it has been completly fansubbed as I soly rely on that.
Old 2004-05-11, 07:59   Link #78
ShinDragon

I just hope they'll release the vol.1 with Metal DVD Box like the one in Japan.
Old 2004-05-11, 08:22   Link #79
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denethor

And for people outside USA... well, let's see... we just have to wait 4 or 5 years ? ^^

anytime, it was one of the best anime I've ever seen... crap, that's so bad it's licenced at a time like that ! I'm sure IGN was just expecting the story to become so exciting to announce that ! ><

/me start winning about how life is cruel, etc... etc...
Actually, most distributors in the past have done quite the opposite - they like to get the DVDs out there at the time of or before the broadcast on TV to capitalize on the sales as soon as possible. And this is especially true with FUNimation - I've heard that the sole reason it's taken so long for the new set of episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho to start airing on Cartoon Network is because FUNimation wanted to get about one story arc ahead of the CN broadcast on DVDs... hence the reason there's a good lot of episodes fully dubbed and edited and ready for TV yet nothing but reruns are being shown.

Also, to echo what Chris Beveridge said, as for the CN broadcast - yes, it will be fully dubbed and edited both for a bit of localization and content; but every anime dub on TV is - and Cartoon Network really has no choice because too many obsessive parents complain about these things, and additionally the BS&P at Time Warner (the parent company of CN) also has problems with such things - it's not really CN's fault, just something that has to be done because of the (paranoid) nature of everybody in this country concerning violence and sexual content.

But, in the end, the Cartoon Network broadcast isn't meant for the fans. The Cartoon Network broadcast is meant, if it airs on Toonami, for 6-11 and 9-14 year olds, and if it airs on Adult Swim, for 18-34 year olds - people who only casually watch anime or ar just discovering it, and thus don't care about faithfulness to the original. For those who do care about such things - the fans - well, that's why the distributors have the subtitled Japanese version on their DVDs - for the fans who care about watching anime in it's original form.
Old 2004-05-11, 08:38   Link #80
bayoab

A quick note, there are 13FMA r2 discs in total, I believe the first dvd case includes a extra disc, so double bonus for your $60. And the ep count is 2/4x11/5?! (for a grand total of 51!) Doesnt make much sense having 5 eps on a r2, but.. thats the only way the math works.

Also, the only reason it was not put on AOD/ANN immediately is the people who would have done so were asleep/away.
Closed Thread