AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-11, 08:45   Link #81
.Spike

Ok, but how about europe, is it illegal for europeans to destribute FMA?
Old 2004-05-11, 09:06   Link #82
TronDD
Team the box!

Well it's always been illegal for anyone to distribute it. However, the idea is, if it's not available in a language you understand, it's "ok" because you wouldn't be able to watch it otherwise.

If you can understand English, it would be most ethical of you to stop distributing and purchase the official English release, even if that English release is for a different country.
Old 2004-05-11, 09:07   Link #83
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
*pulls up a chair next to Mr.Paper*

You're right, this is entertaining.

I think if it's not licensed in Europe then I suppose you can distribute it in Europe. I'm not 100% sure about that though as I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to laws and regulations.

In Remembrance - Founder of Sladism / Slade's Photobucket
Old 2004-05-11, 09:20   Link #84
GokuSongoku

NOOOOOOO.. I live in denmark and i won't be able too see it then.. ****ing crap.. Stupid Cartoon Network.. I will just watch the bad'er subs then...
Old 2004-05-11, 09:37   Link #85
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

Thing is, being a funi licence there is a high chance at least for the UK that MVM will sub-licence it (like kiddie grade etc) so i would assume it licenced for ENGLISH speaking countries.
Old 2004-05-11, 09:39   Link #86
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
*pulls up a chair next to Mr.Paper*

You're right, this is entertaining.

I think if it's not licensed in Europe then I suppose you can distribute it in Europe. I'm not 100% sure about that though as I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to laws and regulations.
I love how this thread sways between the extremes. The mood and direction of the thread is the most entertaining part.

Yay! -> Boo! -> Yay! -> Boo! -> ?

If a series is not licensed in Europe you should be able to distribute it in Europe, however, it can only be distributed in Europe. Basically it falls on the group distributing the series to ensure that noone from a country the series is licensed in downloads the file. The effort needed to enforce something like that is not worth the attempt, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinDragon
I just hope they'll release the vol.1 with Metal DVD Box like the one in Japan.
I hope so too. A metal slip cover for the first volume or even a pressed tin artbox would be an incredible selling point.

Now, for those people who complain that the series will be shown on Cartoon Network: Honestly speaking, what do you really care? Most of you have already stated that you won't watch the televised series, so do you have any real justification for detracting from it? Stating arguments such as "I wont watch it because it'll be edited" is narrow minded to say the least. If you're living in America you should already know that there are certain things/scenes in that show that could never be shown on television. Editing serves a valid and understandable purpose. Should you disagree with it, which I'm certain many of you do, then pitch your case to the appropriate government officials. Of course, they'll probably laugh at you since the Angry Mothers of America group is probably the largest lobby group for television censorship and give them most of their campaign funds.

[note: Angry Mothers of America - the term is meant as a joke. It's a reference to the multitude of parents who don't want their child exposed to anything contraversial.]

That aside, I'm curious how many of the people complaining in this thread will actually buy the series on DVD. Obviously peoples not living in North America don't need to answer, although you can if you want, but how many will actually go out (or order online ) the DVDs?
Old 2004-05-11, 09:45   Link #87
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
I think if they put in a the metal box, with artcovers along with the state alchemist watch duplica!!! Then, I think it'd be worth paying around 50 for the first dvd considering it holds 4-5 episodes

Come on~ Who doesn't want one of those cool looking state alchemist watches? Buy Full Metal Alchemist today and become a dog of the government!

I'm all over that

In Remembrance - Founder of Sladism / Slade's Photobucket
Old 2004-05-11, 10:05   Link #88
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
AdultSwim or not, the whole "We are scientist and we don't believe in god" thing in Episode One is not going to sit well with American parents. Also the blood and the Human Transmutation Gore... Can they sneak in blood for AdultSwim block programs? I'm not sure exactly...

Also, All I'm hoping for is a speedy and good DVD treatment, with goodies like the FullMetal Box that holds 12-13 DVDs and other goodies found in the R-2 Spec. Ed. releases.
They had references to God in Big O during its adult swim run.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:05   Link #89
otakreg
oXc

Send a message via AIM to otakreg
I woke up this morning and noticed that my internet had died overnight and my FMA 31 torrent hadn't finished downloading. I went to animesuki... couldn't find the torrent... scrolled up and down a bit... started to get worried... went to the series list... Suddenly my suspicion was confirmed, and it was like being hit by the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

The way I see it, nothing good can come of this...

Personally, I don't like any anime licensing at all, because I'm fed up with paying $20-$30 USD for DVDs that have 3-5 episodes of anime on them. It's not like the DVDs themselves cost a lot of money or anything; you can buy the entire first season of the Chappelle Show (12 episodes) for the price of one anime DVD. I guess it costs more to release anime because it's from Japan: it has to be licensed, dubbed, and subbed. But why pay for the DVDs when fansubs (with better sub quality than the DVD subs) are available for free? If you really want to watch them on your plasma TV, buy a DVD burner.

But this isn't just any licensing. Funimation got this one. This means not only will it be dubbed, but the dub will be shown on CN in an edited form. (At least with ADV or Pioneer the dub can just be completely ignored. CN dub means the Gundam/Yu Yu Hakusho/Inu Yasha fans wearing Rurouni Kenshin t-shirts will be running around like dorks giving FMA a bad name... nothing against those people, but I wish Funimation would stop existing so that those people wouldn't have any more bad dubs to worship.) For those of us who won't watch it on TV, we can just buy the DVDs, which, since we're dealing with Funi here, will have 3-4 episodes per disc and retail for $25-$30 USD. In a best-case scenario (13 DVDs X $25) we're looking at $325 USD for the whole series. If you wait and buy the box sets you might be able to get it for $200!

I can only hope that it's shown on Adult Swim so that the Yu-Gi-Oh/DBZ kids don't have a chance to see it (that would be MUCH worse than the Inu Yasha fans), that the dub isn't horrible, and that someone keeps fansubbing it so that the hardcore fans get a chance to see it all before the dubbies and DVD buyers take over. (This would've worked out better if Funi had announced the licensing after FMA finished its initial run on Japanese television...)

Maybe, just MAYBE, if things run smoothly, I won't have to hear THIS a few months from now... :
"My little brother watches that stupid alchemist show on Cartoon Network. Then he runs around the house clapping his hands together. He's dressing up as some Ed guy for halloween with a red bath robe. Man, I hate those stupid anime cartoons. Whoever watches them is really stupid."
^ If this doesn't justify an "elitist fanboy rant", I don't know what does.

BTW, I didn't know Chris Beveridge posted on these forums!
I know I'm arguing against you but it's still an honor to meet you!
(Is reading someone's forum post "meeting" them?)
Old 2004-05-11, 10:14   Link #90
TronDD
Team the box!

Just because some idiots might watch the show, that doesn't change the quality of it.

Who cares who watches it and if they run around clapping their hands? Even if they give anime, as a whole, a bad rep, hindering further licensing, what do you care? You admitingly stealing it regardless will have the same effect.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:24   Link #91
otakreg
oXc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Just because some idiots might watch the show, that doesn't change the quality of it.

Who cares who watches it and if they run around clapping their hands? Even if they give anime, as a whole, a bad rep, hindering further licensing, what do you care? You admitingly stealing it regardless will have the same effect.
They're giving it a bad rep with people who don't understand or watch it. But they're buying up DVDs and merchandise, encouraging more anime licensing, some of which is targeted at morons. That's the problem: it's a double negative effect, and the only positive effect is that people who have a lot of extra cash can buy the episodes on DVD... when they could've just downloaded and burned them to DVD for free (plus cost of DVD-R's and DVD burner if you don't already have one)...
Old 2004-05-11, 10:27   Link #92
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

I knew this was coming, sadly. I hate how FUNI. feels everything shoulded be put on TV for easy money though. They don't give a dang what they have to do to an anime to get on TV and that's where I can't respect FUNI., instead of showing an anime as it was meant to be seen, besides in english, they tear it apart. I see that as a ruining of art. I would spit on them if I could, being an artist myself nothing ticks me off more. Either, I'll DL or import, no way I'm suporting FUNI., maybe when they learn to treat anime more respectfully if they ever do which I doubt will EVER happen. I mean whenever they show signs of some improvement, they blow with their next anime, DC anyone or should I say "Case Closed"? FMA has a bad future here, I can tell already. I mean FMA has a video game that means kiddies, that mean the ruining of FMA. It will be the next Yu Gi Oh unless $Kids gets poor Naruto first.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:33   Link #93
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakreg
They're giving it a bad rep with people who don't understand or watch it. But they're buying up DVDs and merchandise, encouraging more anime licensing, some of which is targeted at morons. That's the problem: it's a double negative effect, and the only positive effect is that people who have a lot of extra cash can buy the episodes on DVD... when they could've just downloaded and burned them to DVD for free (plus cost of DVD-R's and DVD burner if you don't already have one)...
It sounds like you simply want something for nothing. I understand that DVDs are expensive. You can either watch the show on TV (heaven forbid), or simply go without. No one owes you anime. It'll be real positive when everyone has the same attitude as you and the industry loses money, then there is no anime for anyone, free or otherwise.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:39   Link #94
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

Quote:
It sounds like you simply want something for nothing. I understand that DVDs are expensive. You can either watch the show on TV (heaven forbid), or simply go without. No one owes you anime. It'll be real positive when everyone has the same attitude as you and the industry loses money, then there is no anime for anyone, free or otherwise.

No, he just is like myself who hates seeing something he enjoys ripped apart. It's that simple, some don't like seeing things ruined even if they can still get an unedited version, it's a loyality thing. I buy the Japanese imports from Japanese stores so I don't have to care, I just do because I'm a fan.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:40   Link #95
Za Paper

I still buy dvd's because the picture quality is better than fansubs. Translations are as good if not better than fansubs. This misconception that fansubs have better translations is just not true anymore.

If you cant afford dvd's then just stick with the fansubs. No one makes you buy dvds.

The whole argument about CN dorks wearing t-shirts is just dumb. Who cares about them and in reality those people are good for the anime market. More fans means more dvd sales which may lead to lower dvd prices. Anime is still a niche market and dvd prices reflect that. I remember when it was $30 for two episodes on a vhs tape. People are dreaming if they think anime dvd prices will reach the levels of regular movies. It is not going to happen. The anime market is tiny and will never be as big as the American movie industry. They can afford low dvd prices with the kind sales volume they have in the billions of $$.

Anyway, this is the same old argument that happens everytime a show gets licensed.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:46   Link #96
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Maiming seems necessary.

Quote:
I woke up this morning and noticed that my internet had died overnight and my FMA 31 torrent hadn't finished downloading. I went to animesuki... couldn't find the torrent... scrolled up and down a bit... started to get worried... went to the series list... Suddenly my suspicion was confirmed, and it was like being hit by the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.
That's a surefire kill. Why are you posting then? :P

Quote:
The way I see it, nothing good can come of this...
Sure, we get FMA on DVD for less than $60/disc (which is what the R2s cost, more or less) including Japanese and English audio with English subtitles. Knowing Funi with Kiddy Grade, we'll probably also get a box with goodies in later volumes.

Quote:
Personally, I don't like any anime licensing at all, because I'm fed up with paying $20-$30 USD for DVDs that have 3-5 episodes of anime on them.
Sounds like someone doesn't want to pay at all.

Quote:
It's not like the DVDs themselves cost a lot of money or anything;
No, duplication costs are very low these days in large numbers.

Quote:
you can buy the entire first season of the Chappelle Show (12 episodes) for the price of one anime DVD. I guess it costs more to release anime because it's from Japan: it has to be licensed, dubbed, and subbed.
First, no licensing fees have to be paid for the Chapelle Show which was subsidized by the subscribers to HBO. This is, IMO, an optimal way of doing things since you get a good show that doesn't have to hinder itself. It probably cost piss-all to make, so they didn't have a lot of production costs to start with. They also have a far larger audience of people who will buy it. As you said, anime requires translation, dubbing, subtitling timing, proper audio and video processing, and mastering for pressing to DVD.

Quote:
But why pay for the DVDs when fansubs (with better sub quality than the DVD subs) are available for free? If you really want to watch them on your plasma TV, buy a DVD burner.
Here's where you completely out of bounds and prove you're just whiny. Fansub subs are hardly better than legit subs, and FANSUBS ARE NOT TO TAKE THE PLACE OF A LICENSED RELEASE. Fansubbers DO NOT compensate the creators. Fansubs are NOT HIGHER QUALITY.

Quote:
But this isn't just any licensing. Funimation got this one. This means not only will it be dubbed, but the dub will be shown on CN in an edited form. (At least with ADV or Pioneer the dub can just be completely ignored. CN dub means the Gundam/Yu Yu Hakusho/Inu Yasha fans wearing Rurouni Kenshin t-shirts will be running around like dorks giving FMA a bad name... nothing against those people, but I wish Funimation would stop existing so that those people wouldn't have any more bad dubs to worship.)
Just cause other people might enjoy something that you do doesn't give you any reason to go apeshit and complain that OH MY GOD OTHER PEOPLE MAY LIKE FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST TOO. </sarcasm>

Quote:
For those of us who won't watch it on TV, we can just buy the DVDs, which, since we're dealing with Funi here, will have 3-4 episodes per disc and retail for $25-$30 USD. In a best-case scenario (13 DVDs X $25) we're looking at $325 USD for the whole series. If you wait and buy the box sets you might be able to get it for $200!
Funi always prices their DVDs low. Then if you're SMART, you shop smart and get a lower price at legit places. Unless you're stupid and buy at full MSRP. But OH MY GOD YOU MAY HAVE TO SPEND MONEY! GODDAMN THEM FOR NOT WORKING FOR FREE. </sarcasm_again>

Quote:
I can only hope that it's shown on Adult Swim so that the Yu-Gi-Oh/DBZ kids don't have a chance to see it (that would be MUCH worse than the Inu Yasha fans), that the dub isn't horrible, and that someone keeps fansubbing it so that the hardcore fans get a chance to see it all before the dubbies and DVD buyers take over. (This would've worked out better if Funi had announced the licensing after FMA finished its initial run on Japanese television...)
You make it blatant that you just don't want to have to pay for something.

Quote:
^ If this doesn't justify an "elitist fanboy rant", I don't know what does.
And you're the bottom of the barrel man, worse than the people who might watch it on CN.

Now for TronBonne:

Would you like some CHEESE with your WHINE?

Quote:
instead of showing an anime as it was meant to be seen, besides in english, they tear it apart. I see that as a ruining of art.
It was a commercial venture to begin with, created from the start to make money via an investment of time and resources from Square Enix, Sony, and now, Funimation.

But nothing will happen to FMA. The only valid point I see is not wanting to see it on CN but there's always the unedited DVDs! I accept no excuses for bypassing those.

Quote:
If you cant afford dvd's then just stick with the fansubs. No one makes you buy dvds.
No, if you aren't willing to pay for the DVDs you don't deserve it at all. If you aren't willing to pay the legitimate licensor of the english release, you don't deserve a translation, much less the show.

Last edited by microlith; 2004-05-11 at 17:14.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:47   Link #97
Crimson
Ecchi Nazi

Send a message via AIM to Crimson
Its Funimation, at least get the name right...-_-.

microlith, what are you flaming people? In everyone of your comments, you're either flaming someone or insulting them. I know you don't like people that bitch about licensed anime but you don't have to be so rude to other posters ....

Last edited by Crimson; 2004-05-11 at 10:59.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:47   Link #98
otakreg
oXc

Quote:
Yes, I want something for nothing. Japanese fans get to watch anime in its pure, original form on TV. All they have to pay is a few minutes of their time to watch the commercials. They can tape it or TIVO it or download a raw of it and watch it again and again for free. They can spend their money on cool merchandise (which is not branded as stupid kiddie toys in Japan) instead of on expensive DVDs.

If everyone in America had the same attitude as me, the American anime industry would lose money, and we could all just watch high-quality fansubs. Perfect.

But the way that American fans watch anime is not going to affect the Japanese anime industry. In Japan, you can watch the show on TV for free (maybe pay a cable bill or whatever...) and the industry just keeps growing. We'll never have the opportunity to see unedited, subbed anime on TV in America, so I say we go for the next-best thing: Free fansubs.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:51   Link #99
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakreg
BTW, I didn't know Chris Beveridge posted on these forums!
I know I'm arguing against you but it's still an honor to meet you!
(Is reading someone's forum post "meeting" them?)
^__^

That was also my reaction... I went from "eh, why do I know this name" to "eh, I read ALL his reviews"
Old 2004-05-11, 10:54   Link #100
method

How exactly is Funi ripping apart FMA? Of their previous release, all accounts put them on par with ADV and other companies. Considering that most movies suffer edits when broadcast on american tv and there are no major complaints, I don't understand the overreaction of some of these statements. Another thing if you are worried about dorks/idiots watching your favorite shows, I'd advise you to go find a different hobby. There were idiots watching FMA along with you.
Closed Thread