AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-21, 11:13   Link #1
E X
Aquarius no Gold Saint

Risks of using Bittorrent...

A while ago, a computer of the lab I was downloading anime on crashed. The administrator said it was Bittorrent's fault because it gets viruses and such into the system while downloading, much like Kazaa and iMesh. I was using the experimental version 3.2.1. Now...is this true? The administrator said that if the computer crashes again, he won´t let download anymore. Can you get me some info please?
E X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 11:52   Link #2
u&t

There are no known security issues with bittorrent itself (and none will probably be found).

Your admin is clueless and just uses the normal admin response to all problems (they always try to blame the user first). He's just lazy and not doing his job. If you had used trillian on that computer and it had crashed you would have gotten the exact same response.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 18:05   Link #3
method

The only way people get viruses from Kazaa and Imesh is through downloading viruses disguised as another file. Since files you download through BT are checked you are mostly safe from them especially if you use sites like anime suki.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 18:57   Link #4
Lambda

I think there are actually bugs in at least KaZaa which allow viruses to be spread through it without user intervention in executing downloaded files, though they're very rare.

But yes, there are no known such issues with bittorrent. The only known way to get viruses with it would be to download a file that had a virus in it, and then execute it. Downloading media files is free of this kind of risk, I believe, because they're not executed, it would only be exes, docs and things like that which could be problematic. And if you're getting things from a reputable fansub group, they're not exactly likely to be distributing files with viruses in them, even if it is possible to put them in media files.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 19:39   Link #5
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Downloading media files is free of this kind of risk, I believe, because they're not executed, it would only be exes
Bufferoverflow bugs have been found in media players so there are potential security risks in watching downloaded media. Altough I don't think anyone has ever been hacked this way it's still a possibility.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 00:29   Link #6
Zelgadis
aka. ZP

Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis
IT expertice here

Eperimental Release software for all operating systems, especially windows, can and will cause major problems on a computer. Please use the released version. Beta versions of software can are not completely tested and can cause computer issues. I packaged and testing beta engineering software made for UNIX which froze the machine at times. Windows on the other hand routinely needed to be rebuilt because of beta testing bugs. Released software usually is well tested to prevent such issues.

Don't blame the administrator for telling you off. He is just doing the job as he was told/trained to do it. Do blame him for being a jerk and not truly understanding a thing called customer relations.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-25, 02:19   Link #7
Buster
猿王

I mostly agree, Zel. No admin can be fully familiar with everything a user might wish to download and install, and in a business or educational environment, anything other than a tight rein on all users can result in a mess that will be his fault and responsibility.

You and I can make a distinction between bit torrent and new.net or bonzi buddy or imesh. It really isn't the admin's job to be familiar with every piece of software that comes down the pike, but it is his job to minimize the risks involved with unknown software. The fact that he has permitted downloading at all is a sign that he's been very accomodating so far. Consider that whatever permissions he extends to you are a risk to his job, while ending all permissions would not be a risk at all.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote