AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-10, 20:30   Link #461
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I dunno what Chicago's like, but there are sakura trees in England too. It's not a flower just limited to Japan only
There's quite a few all over central Oxford too, my old uni and the schools surrounding it used to spout them (on trees typically bigger than japanese ones) in pink and white.
They do create quite a mess when the petals fall though, I think after spending 1 week in Kyoto during sakura season back in '04 (I arrived and it was 90% ready. I left and it was about 70% gone) - I'm not too crazy about them. There's something about literally breathing the stuff, spitting out petals and coming out plucking bits from your hair from the confettii shower that makes you think
'You know... 1 week a year is good enough for me...'
The petals are not fun to step on either, especially when they turn all brown and mushy after they land on the ground. =X

I haven't had the misfortune (or privilege?) of breathing in these petals...

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 06:12   Link #462
Yuelon
喜怒哀

@RandomGuy - Thanks that will be enough places i'll enjoy it sooner or later

As for Winter i know Hokkaido nice area cause its the coldest prefecture that I know.
Whether do I not know
Why can't we be togather like Moon & Stars.

Yuelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 16:39   Link #463
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I have a question for the people who have been to Japan and know a bit about their weird tendencies. I have a pretty good friend who went to japan as a foreign exchange student in her 10th year of school. She is blond with blue eyes long hair etc.... She came back to America with her hair shorter. When I asked her why it was shorter she said that in a class a girl behind her had been so interested by her light blond hair that she cut off a lock.... Is this fascination with blond hair universal to Japan, common, or just some isolated incident because I was rather freaked out personally...
Old 2009-03-13, 17:06   Link #464
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
I have a question for the people who have been to Japan and know a bit about their weird tendencies. I have a pretty good friend who went to japan as a foreign exchange student in her 10th year of school. She is blond with blue eyes long hair etc.... She came back to America with her hair shorter. When I asked her why it was shorter she said that in a class a girl behind her had been so interested by her light blond hair that she cut off a lock.... Is this fascination with blond hair universal to Japan, common, or just some isolated incident because I was rather freaked out personally...
I personally found that blondes got a rather disproportionate amount of attention in Japan, but I haven't travelled around the rest of Asia, so I can't tell you about other countries. I hear it happens in Malaysia though.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 19:00   Link #465
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Blonde hair?
Blue eyes?
Yes, you'll get a little more attention, admiration from the natives for those traits. They're still the most used type for foreign modelling all over, as of recently I've heard that russian girls get most of the modelling/hi profile jobs, so I suppose it's something very exotic for them or a stereotype they prefer.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 21:20   Link #466
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
I don't think you have to worry about that happening a lot. I think that girl was just weird. But there is a general fascination for blonde and blue eyes. I wouldn’t say it’s rampant but it’s there.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 00:33   Link #467
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
It's different, I can tell you as a local. Of course this may happen. Why ain't I surprised? It's normal, really.
Old 2009-03-15, 01:00   Link #468
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

So from what I gather the fascination with blonds is well spread, but the cutting off a lock of hair was just some weird girl? As long as that girl was just odd I'm not freaked out. XD
Old 2009-03-15, 01:01   Link #469
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
So from what I gather the fascination with blonds is well spread, but the cutting off a lock of hair was just some weird girl? As long as that girl was just odd I'm not freaked out. XD
That's quite right.
Old 2009-03-19, 05:10   Link #470
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Dispatches from Japan, where I`m still a bit stunned to be...

I made it. It`s very surreal - though my body is totally thrashed, I had a shit-eating grin all the way here from Narita, just from the amazingness of being here. Had my first bidet experience, there`s some kind of Toshiba automated clothes-press in the room that frankly scares me a little, and the automation everywhere is startling. Flight was on time to the minute, as was the train - amazing.

Today was my first Shinkansen (bullet train) down to Kyoto. Shockingly,on time to the minute. Clean, incredibly fast and incredibly convenient. Kyoto is a marvel - I don`t really know if I could ever do it justice. We have Buddhist temples in SF and San Jose, but they`re almost like museum pieces in a way - Buddhism (and to a lesser extent Shinto) is a living thing here. Kyoto is a city of temples and shrines on every corner, every hillside. I wish I had a Japanese person to explain the signifigance of them, as many have no signage and most of the signage is not in English. The beauty of the place is astonishing.

I sort of tried to follow Shin`s 2 day Kyoto kamikaze tour, and hit some of the biggies today. I didn`t bring enough durinku, that`s for sure. Only disappointment is no anime on TV yet, thought I did spot a store called ``Au`` for you Makoto (Kanon) fans. And apparently Tommy Lee Jones is the boss here - I`m not sure why.

More later. Anime Fair and Akiba Saturday...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 05:37   Link #471
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Dispatches from Japan, where I`m still a bit stunned to be...
Don't be.

Quote:
I made it. It`s very surreal - though my body is totally thrashed, I had a shit-eating grin all the way here from Narita

Whadya' eat?

Quote:
just from the amazingness of being here. Had my first bidet experience
I know foreigners who went to Japan and went back with a bidet fetish.

Quote:
, there`s some kind of Toshiba automated clothes-press in the room that frankly scares me a little, and the automation everywhere is startling. Flight was on time to the minute, as was the train - amazing.
Typical Japanese Culture.

Quote:
Today was my first Shinkansen (bullet train) down to Kyoto. Shockingly,on time to the minute. Clean, incredibly fast and incredibly convenient.
It'll become an intangible national culture at this rate.

Quote:
Kyoto is a marvel - I don`t really know if I could ever do it justice. We have Buddhist temples in SF and San Jose, but they`re almost like museum pieces in a way - Buddhism (and to a lesser extent Shinto) is a living thing here. Kyoto is a city of temples and shrines on every corner, every hillside. I wish I had a Japanese person to explain the signifigance of them, as many have no signage and most of the signage is not in English. The beauty of the place is astonishing.

I sort of tried to follow Shin`s 2 day Kyoto kamikaze tour, and hit some of the biggies today. I didn`t bring enough durinku, that`s for sure. Only disappointment is no anime on TV yet,
Anime is usually late-night.

Quote:
thought I did spot a store called ``Au`` for you Makoto (Kanon) fans. And apparently Tommy Lee Jones is the boss here - I`m not sure why.

More later. Anime Fair and Akiba Saturday...
Old 2009-03-19, 09:30   Link #472
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kyoto at night, oy, what to say, what to say...

First off, my hotel is across the street from a junior high school, and the boys team was out practicing baseball when I arrived. I didn`t see Honda Goro, but one kid did look a lot like little Komori...

It happens that Kyoto is having a matsuri - festival of lights kinda thing. I knew about it but didn`t want to get my hopes up as this is a "new" festival. But Higayashima was on fire - lanterns everywhere, and all the temples were lit up too and had the food stands out. Nothing like festival okomayaki. Problem is I could never do it justice - it was dark out and I`m not a photographer, and not nearly poet enough to put into words what it was like to see that hillside lit up like that.
Old 2009-03-19, 13:32   Link #473
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself Guardian Enzo. I'm not sure if I caught whether you were on this trip by yourself or with family. If you don’t mind sharing.

Quote:
And apparently Tommy Lee Jones is the boss here - I`m not sure why.
Yes. Yes he is.
Old 2009-03-19, 20:36   Link #474
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
It happens that Kyoto is having a matsuri - festival of lights kinda thing. I knew about it but didn`t want to get my hopes up as this is a "new" festival. But Higayashima was on fire - lanterns everywhere, and all the temples were lit up too and had the food stands out. Nothing like festival okomayaki. Problem is I could never do it justice - it was dark out and I`m not a photographer, and not nearly poet enough to put into words what it was like to see that hillside lit up like that.
Then 'don't.'
Simply absorb and enjoy it all for your memories, than worrying about 'how to cpature it all.'
That may make you miss a few more special hidden goodies too, so immerse yourself fully and enjoy the magical ride.
Maybe when you return home, it'll all sink in and then you can convey how it all was much more easier, but that the moment, you're on cloud 9, so leave your feet off the ground.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 20:40   Link #475
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
It happens that Kyoto is having a matsuri - festival of lights kinda thing. I knew about it but didn`t want to get my hopes up as this is a "new" festival. But Higayashima was on fire - lanterns everywhere, and all the temples were lit up too and had the food stands out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
so immerse yourself fully and enjoy the magical ride.
Sounds so sweet o.o I wanna go to japan too. One day I will *shakes fists*
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 09:22   Link #476
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
Glad to see you're enjoying yourself Guardian Enzo. I'm not sure if I caught whether you were on this trip by yourself or with family. If you don’t mind sharing.

Yes. Yes he is.
On my own, thanks. A bit befuddled at times but loving it.

The good news is no jet lag thus far - sleeping OK and my mind feels great. But I've just kicked my own ass in Kyoto the last two days - with all of the times I got lost (somehow I cannot get my bearings here and it doesn't help that about half the signs that show English have north on the bottom and west on the right) I logged somewhere between 15 and 20 miles walked.

Kiyomizu-dera may be, in fact, the coolest place on earth. I love the way Buddhism and Shinto are hand in glove here, yet the Shinto shrines feel so different. There's something more raw to them somehow, more dangerous. I passed a small one on the hill past the giant graveyard that had two grey cats patrolling it as if they owned it. That was somehow incredibly sugoi. And the temple with 1000 Kannons was amazing as well. Kyoto in general was splendiferous - reminds me of Venice in a way, but much more integrated with the present than Venice.

Other first - first public bath, though I confess the discomfort level was rather less as I was the only guest in it at the time. Tomorrow is Oedo Onsen so that will be the real test. First views of Fuji-san - great viewings from the Shinkansen both ways from Tokyo-Kyoto. What a goddamm mountain - like Shasta in that it stands so far above the surroundings, but even more perfectly symmetrical. First time in Harajuku - on a Friday night, geesh. I confess I have a Peter Pan complex, but I was clearly too old for that crowd. First "gaijin" admonishment from a Japanese - when I was walking towards the graveyard at Kiyomizu. Thought it rather rude, as it's not as if I was snapping photos and I'm always respectful. Someone challenged me as to why I was spinning the prayer wheels at the matsuri last night, but oddly it wasn't a Japanese - he was speaking a middle eastern tongue with his friends. Just didn't like me observing local tradition I guess. Get a life.

The Shinkansen - what a marvel. The way it transforms a country is incredible - how much could such a system do for the US? Incredibly clean, fast and reliable. So you can't use the Nozomi on a rail pass - BFD. If I'd missed my Hikari from Kyoto, i would have had to wait a whole 30 minutes (in which time two Nozomi's would have left). In the US even if we had bullet trains, on a route like that it'd probably run once a day. Eva is big now, and oddly I'm seeing Kowaru's face everywhere. Gainax clearly wants that to happen - gonna be a bigger player in the retelling, for certain. It's funny what I'm having hard times adjusting to - I find myself tripping over steps constantly, which I'm normally very careful with due to my back. They're just different here somehow, the way they place them or something. And the rhythms of urban life - I'm dodging near-miss pedestrian collisions constantly, and the bicyclists here and insane (and numerous).

What a country.
Old 2009-03-20, 22:08   Link #477
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Glad to hear you're still loving it for the most part. It’ll all be an experience to help shape your image of Japan. So you're traveling on your own. Brave one. I'm not sure I get your comparison to Venice though. I don't see how they're similar.
Old 2009-03-21, 10:42   Link #478
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
On my own, thanks. A bit befuddled at times but loving it.

The good news is no jet lag thus far - sleeping OK and my mind feels great. But I've just kicked my own ass in Kyoto the last two days - with all of the times I got lost (somehow I cannot get my bearings here and it doesn't help that about half the signs that show English have north on the bottom and west on the right) I logged somewhere between 15 and 20 miles walked.
Time zone? I once went to Vancouver for attachment. I came back with massive jetlag.

Quote:
Kiyomizu-dera may be, in fact, the coolest place on earth. I love the way Buddhism and Shinto are hand in glove here, yet the Shinto shrines feel so different. There's something more raw to them somehow, more dangerous. I passed a small one on the hill past the giant graveyard that had two grey cats patrolling it as if they owned it. That was somehow incredibly sugoi. And the temple with 1000 Kannons was amazing as well. Kyoto in general was splendiferous - reminds me of Venice in a way, but much more integrated with the present than Venice.
Venice? You mean Rome?

Quote:
Other first - first public bath, though I confess the discomfort level was rather less as I was the only guest in it at the time. Tomorrow is Oedo Onsen so that will be the real test. First views of Fuji-san - great viewings from the Shinkansen both ways from Tokyo-Kyoto. What a goddamm mountain - like Shasta in that it stands so far above the surroundings, but even more perfectly symmetrical. First time in Harajuku - on a Friday night, geesh. I confess I have a Peter Pan complex, but I was clearly too old for that crowd. First "gaijin" admonishment from a Japanese - when I was walking towards the graveyard at Kiyomizu. Thought it rather rude, as it's not as if I was snapping photos and I'm always respectful. Someone challenged me as to why I was spinning the prayer wheels at the matsuri last night, but oddly it wasn't a Japanese - he was speaking a middle eastern tongue with his friends. Just didn't like me observing local tradition I guess. Get a life.
Maybe he wanted to know the reason behind the wheel-spinning. You could have just answered him if you knew.

Quote:
The Shinkansen - what a marvel. The way it transforms a country is incredible - how much could such a system do for the US? Incredibly clean, fast and reliable.
Like the US even wants to think about it, the UK is already halfway there. Wait for London 2012. They're asking Hitachi to Shinkansen their railways.

Quote:
So you can't use the Nozomi on a rail pass - BFD.
It's meant to be for business passengers only, so I heard from a JR employee.

Quote:
If I'd missed my Hikari from Kyoto, i would have had to wait a whole 30 minutes (in which time two Nozomi's would have left). In the US even if we had bullet trains, on a route like that it'd probably run once a day.
OMG, I had no idea. WTF happened in US??

Quote:
Eva is big now, and oddly I'm seeing Kowaru's face everywhere. Gainax clearly wants that to happen - gonna be a bigger player in the retelling, for certain.
As a local, I really thought it was kitschy at best.

Quote:
It's funny what I'm having hard times adjusting to - I find myself tripping over steps constantly, which I'm normally very careful with due to my back. They're just different here somehow, the way they place them or something. And the rhythms of urban life - I'm dodging near-miss pedestrian collisions constantly, and the bicyclists here and insane (and numerous).

What a country.
Of course, try to get used, you'll miss it soon enough.
Old 2009-03-22, 09:12   Link #479
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sorry for no report - been a crazy couple of days. Yesterday was definitely my full-on otaku orgy - morning at Anime Fair, afternoon "hot springs ep" and evening in Akiba. First things first...

TAF was an absolute madhouse - an ocean of people. Generally well-behaved in that Japanese way (try moving a serpentine line of 3000 people without stanchions in the US) but a madhouse. I got there an hour before opening and still didn't get into the hall for 90 minutes. And what a stampede! I tried to find the cool giant gift bags but I couldn't figure out where the hell people were getting them I just snagged as many freebies as I could until finally finding someone giving away giant bags with Major on one side and Detective Conan on the other. Pretty much no English literature or maps so I was on my own.

Pandora Hearts and FMA II seemed to have the biggest presence among the upcoming series. I was going to attend the preview screening of PH (which i think ended up just being a panel) but people were lining up 3 hours ahead and frankly, I couldn't muster the will. I was gratified to see Major and Natsume Yujinchuu with lots of presence, although Index seemed to be about the biggest player among currently airing series (more on that later). Aniplex had a huge booth that was rocking, and I was impressed and surprised to see how many excellent projects they're involved with currently. IG and Gainax too - Gurren-Laggan has turned into a huge franchise for Gainax, but of course, Eva was everywhere (Lots of Kaworu again).

Afterward, after discovering Odaiba is much bigger than it seemed (Tokyo has that effect) I went to Oedo Onsen. After some fumbling with the procedures (dressing and changing rooms, not to be confused, and no less than 3 locker keys) I spent two of the most relaxing hours of my life once the embarrassment factor died down. Lots of indoor and outdoor baths, and a foot onsen complete with Dr. Fish (Google it). I did the whole routing - drank coffee milk after, soba and beer... They have a nice setup where you can lounge around their recreated Edo village in your yukata and drink and eat, etc. Lots of fun. Hokey? Sure - but for a tourist, lots of fun.

Then, Akiba. What to say about Akiba? I went back again today as last night I met on online friend (who I know through our mutual tragic obsession with the Cubs) who moved here 9 years ago and used to live in Akiba. But he's not a geek, so I had to skim over a lot of it. Hit the major sites - Mandarake, Animate, Cospa... Best meido cafe, in my view? The catgirl "Cafe with Cat" at Toranoana. Not to be confused with "real" cat cafes, where you actually get to frolic with real cats (those are big here now). Most of the ones I checked out seemed borderline sleazy, and I hated the one at Don Quixote - crass and artificial. The "Cafe With Cat" easily had the most style and a real sense of humor. Nya!

On the subject of Toranoana - best selection of doujins I found, but while I was browsing the doujin floor was playing the soundtrack to "Chi's Sweet Home". That was awkward and a little unsettling. If the biggest trends in anime are readable by what you see in doujin, well - again, Index is a very big deal. The usual suspects had huge selections - Lucky Star, Haruhi, Eva - but Index and to a lesser degree Toradora were big among current series. And Kannagi was huge - omnipresent on the doujin floors. And if there was any doubt which girl is the big one in Japan, let it be put to rest. Nagi is in first, followed by Nagi and Nagi coming in third.

Akiba was more and less than I expected. While I'm not really an otaku at home - I don't cosplay or attend cons or anything - it still felt wonderful to be at the epicentre of otaku culture. I knew I was in Japan when the businessman in the Ferregamo tie next to me on the Shinkasen pulled out a copy of Shonen Sunday with his beer, but Akiba is another level. It's a bit grimy and seedy but undeniably unforgettable. I think I may have one more run in me - is there an unforgettable shop or can't miss souvenir I should pick up? I'd really hoped to find some unusual T-shirts like "Beck" or "Major" or something, but no luck really. Is there a better place to look for that than Cospa? I bought a couple doujins (I'll keep which series to myself, to preserve a little mystique) and a couple manga, but I can find published manga at Kinokinuya in SF pretty much as soon as they're out, unless it's an odd title. There are other doujins I'd like to hunt out that I didn't see - any suggestions for a good source in Akiba? Toranoana seemed to have the best selection - Mandarake was good too, but not as easy to browse.

Three days left. Weather is horrible today, but I did see the first hearty Sakura at Shinjuku Goyein. I love, love the rail system here in Tokyo - it takes an unimaginably large and complex city and makes it livable and easy to navigate. By far the best I've ever seen - not even close. Little things still jump out at me - like the way the Japanese love to anthropomorphize things. Not just animals, but allergy pills and manhole covers and everything under the sun... You see it constantly in advertising and public signage. I wonder if this ties into the long history of Shinto in this country, and it's power in the Japanese psyche.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2009-03-23 at 07:40.
Old 2009-03-22, 10:01   Link #480
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A quick thought on language... Has not knowing much Japanese been a problem? Sure, occasionally - but I know what I call "Escape Japanese" and most locals speak more English than they let on, and understand even more. But for some reason, I was drawing huge laughs every time I said "do itashimashite" - which my goddam phrasebook said to use for you're welcome - and I couldn't figure out why. Finally, I asked my friend (who happens to be getting his PHD in linguistics) and he said that was an outrageously formal way of saying it. I may as well have been adding "de gozaimasu" at the end of every sentence. Or "-kuma". Phrasebook my ass - now it's just "domo". I should have stuck to my original plan and said "Hello, my name is Kate - what's your name?" every time someone spoke to me...

"Kaneda!"

Tags
japan, travel