AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-03-29, 06:55   Link #761
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I see a lot of Tokyo-bashing on just about every travel site, but I must confess I love it. For a huge city it's easily navigable - the rail system is unmatched. Because it's a city of neighborhoods you can find so much variety in terms of character. Food is tremendous (sure, Osaka may be great but so is Tokyo). And it's wonderful to find little slices of old Edo hiding amongst all the glitz and insanity of the modern. For me, Tokyo is a huge part of what Japan is today and a great destination in it's own right - vibrant, quirky, and surprisingly cheap if you know where to go. It's not representative of everything in Japan by any means - just a great city.
True. I liked Tokyo the ten days I was there. I want to get back and keep exploring. If you're a single guy it's awesome too. There are hot women everywhere.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 00:50   Link #762
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
flight departs in less than 12 hours aghsdhfkjasd

so fucking nervous and excited

I'm doing Tokyo (3 nights), Mount Fuji -> Nagoya (1 night), Kyoto (1 night), Osaka (1 night), Hiroshima / Miyajima (2 nights), Fukoka / Nagasaki (2 nights), Nikko / Sendai (2 nights), Sapporo (2 nights) plus a final night in Tokyo before my trip back home.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 01:00   Link #763
yoropa
Director

That sounds like a really full trip. I hope you have fun!

Well guys it turns out all my travel this summer got shut down, to Korea, Japan, or otherwise. I may be able to get a trip to Kuwait though I'm worried about going back home there since I haven't been there in such a long time and the country changed a lot. That and I learned about "maid moe" since the last time I went, and I have maids back there... Might end badly. XD

Though it is the World Cup and I cannot be in America for that, I require a country more devoted to the game to visit... Hmm...

But this is about Japan so I guess I'll say this girl I know is going to Japan this summer for two weeks. I told her to be wary of xenophobic Japanese (she's Vietnamese) and about some other minor cultural things (don't stick chopsticks straight down into your meal). What else should I tell her? I don't expect a present nor do I really want anything.
Old 2010-04-01, 01:05   Link #764
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post

I'm doing Tokyo (3 nights), Mount Fuji -> Nagoya (1 night), Kyoto (1 night), Osaka (1 night), Hiroshima / Miyajima (2 nights), Fukoka / Nagasaki (2 nights), Nikko / Sendai (2 nights), Sapporo (2 nights) plus a final night in Tokyo before my trip back home.
Mate, you are going to be so tired by the time you get on the plane back home that you'll wish for a second vacation! But it's sakura season now in Tokyo, and this weekend should be really crowded in the parks as a result. If you want to experience the mad (and I do mean mad!) rush and crush that comes during hanami season, you should visit Ueno Park before leaving Tokyo. Or not... It was insanely packed the last time I was there during this time of the year.

BTW, you're not looking to climb Mt. Fuji now, are you? I'm pretty sure that the upper parts of the mountain are still covered with snow, and the official climbing season doesn't start till late June or early July. Nevertheless, have fun, and hope you enjoy your trip/stay!

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 04:57   Link #765
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:

Have fun with the pink snow season
And say hello to miyajima for me, I miss that island and swear to make my island getaway home over there someday!! xD

I'm also gonna check out Ueno, lol but may go in the evening when there should be drunks, singing under the trees (all being well), or check it out in the morning when people are at work and get some nice pics

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 06:31   Link #766
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
BTW, you're not looking to climb Mt. Fuji now, are you? I'm pretty sure that the upper parts of the mountain are still covered with snow, and the official climbing season doesn't start till late June or early July. Nevertheless, have fun, and hope you enjoy your trip/stay!
Nah, it's just sightseeing in the lakes close to Shizuoka, I know the climbing season is in summer plus I'd need way more than a single day to do that.

Quote:
I'm also gonna check out Ueno, lol but may go in the evening when there should be drunks, singing under the trees (all being well), or check it out in the morning when people are at work and get some nice pics
I hope it doesn't fucking rain this weekend 'cause every single weather forecast I see is not too promising

Old 2010-04-01, 10:44   Link #767
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
I hope it doesn't fucking rain this weekend 'cause every single weather forecast I see is not too promising
Yeah, looks like it's gonna rain. I gotta ride my bike in that, too, and my rain slicker is packed somewhere in a box as I attempt to move in with my fiancée. Hmm..
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 11:02   Link #768
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
Yeah, looks like it's gonna rain. I gotta ride my bike in that, too, and my rain slicker is packed somewhere in a box as I attempt to move in with my fiancée. Hmm..
Friday looks bad in Tokyo, but this weekend should be okay. That is good since I have a hanami to go to on Sat.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 05:34   Link #769
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

First day in Tokyo, god damn this feels so weird.

Pictures here (its in Spanish because its for my family but you can take a look anyways, also Wordpress murdered the image quality): http://lucasinjapan.wordpress.com/20...3/tokyo-day-1/

Sakura blossom season is awesome, btw.

The only thing I want to mention in particular: god DAMN everything is so small here. EVERYTHING. Its beautiful in its own way, but it feels so strange.

Old 2010-04-04, 05:05   Link #770
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
First day in Tokyo, god damn this feels so weird.

Pictures here (its in Spanish because its for my family but you can take a look anyways, also Wordpress murdered the image quality): http://lucasinjapan.wordpress.com/20...3/tokyo-day-1/

Sakura blossom season is awesome, btw.

The only thing I want to mention in particular: god DAMN everything is so small here. EVERYTHING. Its beautiful in its own way, but it feels so strange.
Japan has a knack for turning anything small into something highly efficient yet beautiful. The ryokan I stayed in had a tiny lavatory the size of a gym locker, with a flush toilet that doubled as a wash basin — very ingenious, I thought.

It's flowering in Ueno Park again, I see. The Imperial Palace does have some of the best blooms around in Tokyo. Glad to see that you're enjoying yourself.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 07:33   Link #771
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I've turned to uploading everything to Facebook because it's the only place that'd let me upload everything in one go... so no more blog posts vOv

Quote:
It's flowering in Ueno Park again, I see.
Yep, and at night it's one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen:

Spoiler:

There really are not enough words (or fuzzy pictures) to describe it. And takoyaki is my new "most delicious food ever".

Spoiler:

Today I went to Shibuya in the morning, got a bit lost when heading towards the Yoyogi park (a really kind couple helped me out, though it's amazing how much people will still try to talk to you in a badly mangled English even after you've pointed out you can understand Japanese), but finally got to it and joined the people doing Hanami there. Then I went to Harajuku and got lost in a sea of people. I ended up in a Korean food shop because I didn't want to spend 30 minutes waiting in a queue and that was the only place I found that hadn't one.

After having lunch my intention was to head to Shinjuku but I took the wrong direction in Meijidori and ended up back in Shibuya, so I took the Yamanote to Ikebukuro (which was where I wanted to go, my intention was to take a peek of Shibuya before riding the Yamanote there). Thankfully, Ikebukuro wasn't as full of people as Harajuku, so I enjoyed a quiet walk there, even though I got lost and passed the same street corner 6 times in like 20 minutes. Grabbed a bite at a Horumon shop and then took the Yamanote back to Ueno. Before heading back to my hostel in Asakusa, I walked through the park and shot the amazing sights I posted earlier.

This has been a long and productive day

PS: excuse the crappy quality of the photos, my camera is kinda old and not very good

Old 2010-04-04, 18:50   Link #772
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
I've turned to uploading everything to Facebook because it's the only place that'd let me upload everything in one go... so no more blog posts vOv

Yep, and at night it's one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen:

Today I went to Shibuya in the morning, got a bit lost when heading towards the Yoyogi park (a really kind couple helped me out, though it's amazing how much people will still try to talk to you in a badly mangled English even after you've pointed out you can understand Japanese), but finally got to it and joined the people doing Hanami there. Then I went to Harajuku and got lost in a sea of people. I ended up in a Korean food shop because I didn't want to spend 30 minutes waiting in a queue and that was the only place I found that hadn't one.

After having lunch my intention was to head to Shinjuku but I took the wrong direction in Meijidori and ended up back in Shibuya, so I took the Yamanote to Ikebukuro (which was where I wanted to go, my intention was to take a peek of Shibuya before riding the Yamanote there). Thankfully, Ikebukuro wasn't as full of people as Harajuku, so I enjoyed a quiet walk there, even though I got lost and passed the same street corner 6 times in like 20 minutes. Grabbed a bite at a Horumon shop and then took the Yamanote back to Ueno. Before heading back to my hostel in Asakusa, I walked through the park and shot the amazing sights I posted earlier.

This has been a long and productive day

PS: excuse the crappy quality of the photos, my camera is kinda old and not very good
Chill on the abuse of pixel usage (lower the resolution unless you're planning to print in A1), focus sharper and you'll be ok picture wise
Glad you're enjoying the captial, the other parts of Japan should be just as fun

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 03:31   Link #773
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Today I wasted 1500 yen getting up on the Mori tower and finding out the freaking clouds wouldn't let me see anything. The elevator that does 50 floors in 30 seconds was kinda cool though.

Other than that I had no interest in the tower, but I wanted to see the damn city from it. The museum inside was completely uninteresting due to the differences between my concept of art and that of the "artists" exposing their work there.

Old 2010-04-05, 07:44   Link #774
Riot Machine
Bassist Christ

Send a message via AIM to Riot Machine Send a message via MSN to Riot Machine
I used to live in Muko Kyoto
Its not as great as everyone think, people are really rude there. but its still a great experience
Riot Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 08:41   Link #775
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

The experience is the best part? I want to live in Japan. Period. Screw visiting, I'm planting roots there. Now then, back on topic.

@WanderingKnight: 30 seconds? Was it powered by electromagnetics? I didn't think they would actually apply that technology to a simple elevator. Hat goes off to the Japanese yet again, Kudos.

Now now... The artists probably did good. I would look at all of them and judge firsthand. Outside of that, 1500 yen isn't all that bad... You got excellent experience for doing it.

You now know what Mori Tower and the artwork is like, at least.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 10:00   Link #776
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
@WanderingKnight: 30 seconds? Was it powered by electromagnetics? I didn't think they would actually apply that technology to a simple elevator. Hat goes off to the Japanese yet again, Kudos.
Yup, I filmed it on the way down and it was 30 seconds, almost exactly.

Quote:
Now now... The artists probably did good. I would look at all of them and judge firsthand. Outside of that, 1500 yen isn't all that bad... You got excellent experience for doing it.
I can eat a whole day with less than that and with 200 more yen I can sleep for a day... it's really expensive. But today I spent like 4000 yen on manga so vOv.

I was so angry at not being able to see the city from the tower earlier today that I went and bought a ticket at the Tokyo Tower just out of spite. The city was at least visible from there, heh. It was at night so the view was kinda nice, too.

I later walked around Shiba Koen and Daimon-doori, pretty nice sights there, especially the Buddhist temple close to the tower (it's amazingly calm at night when no one is there).

Old 2010-04-05, 12:47   Link #777
Shiemi
Counting days

Quote:
Today I wasted 1500 yen getting up on the Mori tower and finding out the freaking clouds wouldn't let me see anything. The elevator that does 50 floors in 30 seconds was kinda cool though.

Other than that I had no interest in the tower, but I wanted to see the damn city from it. The museum inside was completely uninteresting due to the differences between my concept of art and that of the "artists" exposing their work there.
Are you also planning to go to Landmark Tower in Yokohama? (If you haven't done so, that is.) I always liked it more than the others, but that's just me. I just liked Sakuragicho and it was close to where I used to live.

Frank Parsons
Shiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 16:12   Link #778
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Hello, everyone!
Long time no see. I haven’t been around for about 2 months I guess. But I’m stopping by because I really couldn’t pass by “visiting japan” thread.

Mystique-san, glad to see you here. How are things?

WanderingKnight
Awesome pictures you've got on your Spanish page, despite «mucha gente».

If everyone speaks Japanese 言ってみます。
羨ましいです~。桜は本当に綺麗です。今、日本に行く気分になりました。
実は、前から旅行について考えていました。そのために貯金し始めました。でも、それは時間がかかりそうです 。旅行は高いですから行けるかどうか知りません。でも、東京を見る価値があると思います。

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 18:13   Link #779
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Today I wasted 1500 yen getting up on the Mori tower and finding out the freaking clouds wouldn't let me see anything.
Viewing the city from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku is free. Good view, but don't go at night (they don't turn the lights off). Tokyo Tower has the best view of the Tokyo, but it's on the east side so you'll get a different view from TMBG.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 03:41   Link #780
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I forgot to mention that I went to Japan during the Olympic Break. Nice to be back since the 1990s. Helped too with my sem-limited Japanese.

Details soon. Too tired and I need to get some shuteye in a while.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel