AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-04-07, 10:03   Link #781
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Ok, someone who has more knowledge of the Japanese society than me, and especially of Japanese women (hey there Mystique), please help me understand what just happened to me.

So, I'm in Kyoto (which is a beautiful, beautiful city, by the way, especially with the sakura) and I meet a cute Japanese girl (who I thought was about 20, 21) from Tokyo in my hostel. Everything is cool during the introduction, the usual "nihongo jouzu ne" like they do with every foreigner who can utter a few intelligible words (1), and the usual chatter about how my country is so far away, and how my trip took 30 hours, and how I can speak Spanish, English and Japanese, etc.

So, since I hadn't had dinner yet (it was about 7pm), and not knowing how to deal with asking a Japanese girl out, I casually mention I haven't had dinner yet, and ask her if she has. She tells me she has, but after some more chatter she asks me if it was okay to come with me while I had my dinner.

So, thinking I had scored already, I of course tell her it's all right, and then I go take a bath. At 7:30, we're about to go out, and she tells me she's only got time till 9, since her bus to Tokyo departs at 10. Cursing my luck, I nonetheless tell her it's all right, since I was enjoying her company and the fact that I had a chance to practice my Japanese anyways, and then we decide to go eat close to Kyoto station.

I had a lot of fun while on the way to the station and during dinner. Good-natured fun, stemming from the fact that I love the language and I try to make the most out of every chance I have of speaking it. Furthermore, this girl was lovely and there were lots of opportunities for laughs and hearty chatter. We took some pictures together and everything. She even told me I was handsome at some point.

However, after dinner, I draw out my wallet to pay my part, and she tells me she'll pay for it (!!!). Her reason was that I had accompanied her to the station and helped her with her luggage. No matter how much I try to convince her that it's all right, she wouldn't let me pay. After a bit more chatter, I casually ask her her age, and after opening her eyes in surprise when I tell her I'm 21 (I suppose I look older to Japanese people because of my beard) she tells me she's 27. There I almost yelled in surprise. I know Japanese women look much younger than they are, but this girl seriously didn't look older than 21 to me.

After that, I waited with her for her bus and when it arrived (around 10 pm), we parted with a hug, which also sort of surprised me (I'm from Latin America so we kiss each other on the cheeks at every opportunity we get, but I'm aware things are not that way in the rest of the world, especially in Japan).

So, while I had a lot of fun, I'm confused about a few things. I mean, why would she have a complete foreigner of the opposite sex just "accompany" her to the station? I know this sounds awful and reflects badly on her character, but was I just her "plaything"? I mean, a young foreigner from an exotic country who can maintain an interesting conversation in Japanese... I'm sure that's exotic enough to be appealable for many Japanese, knowing their society and their view of the world.

Also, why the hell did she pay for my dinner? How weird is THAT coming from a Japanese woman? I would've expected something entirely different--actually, during the trip I was sort of worried about the possibility of being sort of "forced" to pay for her dinner.

Either way, I've got her in Facebook and I know she lives in Tokyo, and since I have one last night there (on a Saturday, of all days) I might contact her beforehand to see if she wants to go out or something. I mean, I'm completely fine with being her "plaything" or whatever as long as I get to score--I know this sort of thinking is horrible, but you've gotta understand a 21 year old guy whose brain is, pardon the subtlety, still half-filled with semen.

And I know I might be reading way too much into this, so don't bash me too hard.

(1) I don't consider my Japanese perfect by any means, but I rate myself, without modesty, well above the average foreigner's knowledge of Japanese. In particular, I believe my pronunciation to be close to perfect, though speaking with Japanese people has made me realize it's not just about pronunciation but also the general intonation, or "acting", so to speak, Japanese people use. But yeah, personally I think my Japanese is pretty good, since it allows me to understand almost everything that's said to me--the only limit being my vocabulary. Talking, of course, is harder, but not that bad either. Either way, this is just a short break for you to imagine my level of conversation with this girl.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 11:24   Link #782
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I certainly wouldn't claim superior knowledge based on my one (soon to be two) trips to Japan. But my guess is that what you view as chivalry (not letting the woman pay) was trumped by what I've seen as the very profound Japanese desire to be good hosts. You were the guest in her country, therefore she was going to pay for dinner. If it had been more obviously a "date", I suspect that she might have let you pay.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 11:38   Link #783
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Do a bow and ask to do seppuku in her name, that's probably the best way to get shot down.

Enzo is right, the Japanese are dignified to be good hosts and chauffeurs. The prospect of Chivalry may have offended her, it may not have -- I suggest giving a very broad smile and saying "At the moment, I am your host. Let me treat you appropriately."

Not only does that open up some paths for you in that near future, but you will be able to discern her personality by what she thought you meant/what she chooses as 'treat appropriately'.

...Japan is home of many beauties, obviously. So maybe you could bring her somewhere/talk to her about them

1. Ask her where she has been, make a special trip and the such to impress her? I wouldn't know. I'm a hick by stereotype, but try to treat her like a woman like a man would treat a woman in her country. Don't alienate her with your culture, get her cozzy with hers.

2. This won't help the situation, but what the hell: Flirt, shove the envelope with innuendos, and possibly get what your after in the process. Women enjoy 'compliments', don't use lame pick up lines, either. Be gentle, be courteous.... Be japanese, if you catch my meaning.

...Here is to hoping you bring her back with you? Finding love in a foreign country... Damn, talk about tragic.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 13:29   Link #784
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
WK

- You're so lucky man. I haven't met one yet (Probably since the family was there. ). The best advice I can offer maybe is you can thank her for doing so.

PS:

I got some pics from my Japan trip. However, I had to use the Iphone's camera. I got the poster of the Hakone/Rei one from my Hakone trip too.

Not sure if I should discuss some embarrassing things I did though.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 16:40   Link #785
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
WanderingKnight
Huh? Going to Japan in search for women's company?
That looks like a new perspective. So far I've only thought about my long list of must-see places.

Quote:
I rate myself without modesty
You make me feel a bit awkward, you know.
(あなた、自慢してるじゃないか。
僕はなんか、馬鹿みたいな気がするよね。)

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru

Last edited by nikorai; 2010-04-07 at 17:48.
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 18:01   Link #786
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
That looks like a new perspective. So far I've only thought about my long list of must-see places.
Eh, I'm not actively looking for women's company. I mean, it's okay even if I don't get to score in the whole trip, but how cool an anecdote would be if I do?

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't claim superior knowledge based on my one (soon to be two) trips to Japan. But my guess is that what you view as chivalry (not letting the woman pay) was trumped by what I've seen as the very profound Japanese desire to be good hosts. You were the guest in her country, therefore she was going to pay for dinner. If it had been more obviously a "date", I suspect that she might have let you pay.
I suppose you're right. It kinda feels like a letdown but it's cool anyways.

Quote:
1. Ask her where she has been, make a special trip and the such to impress her? I wouldn't know. I'm a hick by stereotype, but try to treat her like a woman like a man would treat a woman in her country. Don't alienate her with your culture, get her cozzy with hers.
See, if there's something I don't like about Japan is the traditional way women are treated and seen. I know it's changing and that Tokyo in particular is very different from the rest of the country, but I know the general feeling is there. I'm someone who deeply respects women by default, and gets ticked off by any obvious display of misogyny. That's why her paying for my meal was sort of a pleasant surprise--as common as chivalry is (especially in my country), I dislike it a lot since it enforces an old view of man-woman relationships at a time it's not needed anymore. I would've preferred to pay for my part, which is way fairer, but was nonetheless surprised by such an attitude in a place like Japan.

Quote:
2. This won't help the situation, but what the hell: Flirt, shove the envelope with innuendos, and possibly get what your after in the process. Women enjoy 'compliments', don't use lame pick up lines, either. Be gentle, be courteous.... Be japanese, if you catch my meaning.
I'm not a donjuan by any means but I'm used to the usual process. I haven't done it this time but only because I'm not used to speaking in Japanese enough

Quote:
You make me feel a bit awkward, you know.
In what way? I'm being honest in that, when I speak Japanese, I try to sound as native-like as possible. I have a good ear for accents and can imitate them pretty well (I can seamlessly switch between American and British English, for example) and I can even try to talk Kansai-ben style if I put enough effort. It was just a way to help you understand what level of conversation we were having (pretty good, if I may say so myself).

Quote:
(あなた、自慢してるじゃないか。
僕はなんか、馬鹿みたいな気がするよね。)
False modesty is as bad as being too boastful, you know. I never said my Japanese was perfect. My accent is particularly good, but I have a good accent in every foreign language I speak (most of the English-speaking tourists I found on hostels thought I was American). I still have a lot to learn, and that's why I like speaking with Japanese people--because it allows me to learn a lot. And, of course, reading, and especially writing the language is another matter entirely and I still suck at it.

(I never say all of this in front of Japanese people, though, because I understand the conversation dynamics here, and I let them compliment me as much as they want, as much as I dislike compliments for things that come naturally to me. You are an exception in that you're posting in a forum where Japanese people are a minority).

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2010-04-07 at 18:29.
Old 2010-04-07, 18:47   Link #787
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorai View Post
Hello, everyone!
Long time no see. I haven’t been around for about 2 months I guess. But I’m stopping by because I really couldn’t pass by “visiting japan” thread.

Mystique-san, glad to see you here. How are things?

If everyone speaks Japanese 言ってみます。
羨ましいです~。桜は本当に綺麗です。今、日本に行く気分になりました。
実は、前から旅行について考えていました。そのために貯金し始めました。でも、それは時間がかかりそうです 。旅行は高いですから行けるかどうか知りません。でも、東京を見る価値があると思います。
Morning, Just woke up.
Nice to see ya back on Asuki for a while. Keep going with the savings, even tiny drops will make a mighty ocean someday.
Ganbarre!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Ok, someone who has more knowledge of the Japanese society than me, and especially of Japanese women (hey there Mystique), please help me understand what just happened to me.
You sent that message at midnight WK (we're on the same timezones)
Although some of the answers there already mention things I was gonna say, gimme 15mins or so, currently reading/editing my post

Your tale of 'randomness' painfully reminds me of some of my own wacky ass tales as a tourist (don't really experience them as someone who's just living here for some strange reason, lol)
anyways, reading above....

PS:
WK, nikorai is russian
He's just self studying japanese very hard and sometimes writes in kana on Asuki here as you can see.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 19:32   Link #788
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
DP, pardon my cheekiness, the reply got long (what else is new)
Quote:
However, after dinner, I draw out my wallet to pay my part, and she tells me she'll pay for it (!!!). Her reason was that I had accompanied her to the station and helped her with her luggage. No matter how much I try to convince her that it's all right, she wouldn't let me pay. After a bit more chatter, I casually ask her her age, and after opening her eyes in surprise when I tell her I'm 21 (I suppose I look older to Japanese people because of my beard) she tells me she's 27. There I almost yelled in surprise. I know Japanese women look much younger than they are, but this girl seriously didn't look older than 21 to me.
The MILFs are many in this country, do be careful xD
(Not that she's a mother, but 'single older women' in their 30s and 40s looking 10 years younger than their age, still unnerves me even now...)
Quote:
After that, I waited with her for her bus and when it arrived (around 10 pm), we parted with a hug, which also sort of surprised me (I'm from Latin America so we kiss each other on the cheeks at every opportunity we get, but I'm aware things are not that way in the rest of the world, especially in Japan).
At least Japanese girls who already have courage to step up to a foreign stranger and spend time with them are already a step ahead of 'generic' Japanese people. I kinda don't place them in the same group as being 100% reserved and shy, so her hugging ya is probably something she has done with other foreign friends (check her FB friends list)
But a nice surprise for you.
Ironically I met up with french guys a month ago and they did the cheek kiss thing to me which felt highly awkward, lol.
Quote:
So, while I had a lot of fun, I'm confused about a few things. I mean, why would she have a complete foreigner of the opposite sex just "accompany" her to the station? I know this sounds awful and reflects badly on her character, but was I just her "plaything"? I mean, a young foreigner from an exotic country who can maintain an interesting conversation in Japanese... I'm sure that's exotic enough to be appealable for many Japanese, knowing their society and their view of the world.
The plaything idea did cross my mind, cept two things.
One, she's older than you, she's not a uni student, (18-23 is the period for girls to 'experiment' and foreign guys are hot on the list), she's obviously not shy to foreigners and highly independent to be travelling on her own.
Also as she's nearing 30, she'll be having her own internal social issues to deal with, I doubt she's in the 'plaything' mindset as much as 'boyfriend, maybe husband' material mode now.
Secondly, you conversed in japanese for most part, right? Not english, nor I guess did she mention how she'd love to practice more but doesn't get the chance too (that's their indirect way of asking 'may i practice with you?')
She's not really using you, I believe she truly enjoys your company.
Also the peeps here are generous to a damn fault, especially to tourists. They'll make your trip just truly magical, but that's cause you're just a tourist, they know you'll be going back home soon...
Quote:
Also, why the hell did she pay for my dinner? How weird is THAT coming from a Japanese woman? I would've expected something entirely different--actually, during the trip I was sort of worried about the possibility of being sort of "forced" to pay for her dinner.
I was pleasantly surprised, then again, she's most likely a full time working woman and you a young tourist. You've travelled all this way to get here, so as Enzo said 'you were her guest'. She also apparently took you helping her to the station as an amazing act of kindness and wanted to repay ya.
It's more an age/status thing than a male/female thing, my senses are telling me at this point, so don't worry about it.
I'm sure if she was in that uni age group or yours the situation may have been a little different.
Quote:
Either way, I've got her in Facebook and I know she lives in Tokyo, and since I have one last night there (on a Saturday, of all days) I might contact her beforehand to see if she wants to go out or something. I mean, I'm completely fine with being her "plaything" or whatever as long as I get to score--I know this sort of thinking is horrible, but you've gotta understand a 21 year old guy whose brain is, pardon the subtlety, still half-filled with semen.
Holiday flings, is that the reason you came?
May as well have visited a sekku fure website and hooked up then, lol.
セックスフレンド (n) sex friend, someone with whom one is not romantically involved but frequently has sexual relations with anyway
- I doubt she'll sleep with you and I highly doubt you're her plaything. If however you meet up again and sparks did fly on your last night, have about ichiman en set aside for a love hotel in Shibuya. You'll find some awesome themed ones there, could be fun.
Quote:
In what way? I'm being honest in that, when I speak Japanese, I try to sound as native-like as possible. I have a good ear for accents and can imitate them pretty well (I can seamlessly switch between American and British English, for example) and I can even try to talk Kansai-ben style if I put enough effort. It was just a way to help you understand what level of conversation we were having (pretty good, if I may say so myself).
Ah bilinguals, how I hate all you bastards... truly
It's my own personal irk since I come across so so many who have English as their 2nd (so Japanese as their 3rd lang), absorb and use it within quick time so effortlessly while I struggle, I sense you're one of those too, huh...
shitto shiteiru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorai View Post
WanderingKnight
Sweet, innocent Nikorai.
We need more foreign men like you over here please.
(Then again, the allure of Japanese girls looking for white girls to hook up with for fun may get to ya)
- Going to Japan for an easy lay (or to nab a gf) is almost as common as going to Amsterdam for a wild weekend. Nothing uncommon, sad to say.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2010-04-07 at 20:30.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 20:03   Link #789
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
WanderingKnight
Quote:
False modesty is as bad as being too boastful, you know.
You are an exception in that you're posting in a forum where Japanese people are a minority In what way? I'm being honest in that, when I speak Japanese
Honestly, I felt like Uh Dont get me wrong, but I took your remark as a self-display. I'd like a message without this side-effect. Say, what about this version? - I happened to talk to a Japanese girl. Hopefully with what Japanese I know I managed to produce a few coherent phrases, that is, you know, enough to keep the conversation (for a few hours).

Mystique-san
Im happy to hear that youre doing fine. Thanks for the reply and comments! Its very kind of you.

Quote:
Ganbarre!
Keep going with the savings, even tiny drops will make a mighty ocean someday.
Yeah, hopefully my income will be larger than the amount of taxes and bills I have to pay. Last year was pretty tough in this regard. This year apparently started better for me.

Quote:
Sweet, innocent Nikorai.
*blushes*

Quote:
almost as common as going to Amsterdam for a wild weekend.
Sounds like stories from my rich friends. Listening to them is always very funny and informative but then I understand how far I am from that.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 21:50   Link #790
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Honestly, I felt like “Uh…” Don’t get me wrong, but I took your remark as a self-display. I'd like a message without this side-effect. Say, what about this version? - “I happened to talk to a Japanese girl. Hopefully with what Japanese I know I managed to produce a few coherent phrases, that is, you know, enough to keep the conversation (for a few hours)”.
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to come off as an act of self-display. The thing is, after hearing "nihongo jouzu ne" for the umpteenth time, and then suddenly have they talk to you in a deeply mangled English, you get sort of jaded about it.

Quote:
Ironically I met up with french guys a month ago and they did the cheek kiss thing to me which felt highly awkward, lol.
You should come to Argentina, then, heh.

Quote:
The plaything idea did cross my mind, cept two things.
One, she's older than you, she's not a uni student, (18-23 is the period for girls to 'experiment' and foreign guys are hot on the list), she's obviously not shy to foreigners and highly independent to be travelling on her own.
Also as she's nearing 30, she'll be having her own internal social issues to deal with, I doubt she's in the 'plaything' mindset as much as 'boyfriend, maybe husband' material mode now.
That thought did cross my mind, too. But since lately the "late teenager" stage of life has sort of been growing wider throughout the world, I thought maybe she was still at it, heh.

Quote:
Secondly, you conversed in japanese for most part, right? Not english, nor I guess did she mention how she'd love to practice more but doesn't get the chance too (that's their indirect way of asking 'may i practice with you?')
We used English a couple of times when I was trying to come up with a word I don't know in Japanese (my vocabulary is still limited so this happens quite often), and sometimes she would go ahead and talk in English. I might have been a bit pushy since I wanted to speak in Japanese, and since I felt that way I took the Japanese stance and told her her English was good (eigo jouzu ne, lol).

Quote:
She's not really using you, I believe she truly enjoys your company.
That's cool, too. I don't mind being used if it leads to a happy ending, though

Quote:
Holiday flings, is that the reason you came?
Nah, as I said before, not at all. It's obviously a huge plus, but really all I came for was to visit Japan and know its people. I got kinda aroused last night because it seemed kinda within my grasp.

Quote:
If however you meet up again and sparks did fly on your last night, have about ichiman en set aside for a love hotel in Shibuya. You'll find some awesome themed ones there, could be fun.
Ichiman? Suddenly it doesn't feel so accessible anymore...

Old 2010-04-07, 22:32   Link #791
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:

So, I'm in Kyoto (which is a beautiful, beautiful city, by the way, especially with the sakura) and I meet a cute Japanese girl (who I thought was about 20, 21) from Tokyo in my hostel. Everything is cool during the introduction, the usual "nihongo jouzu ne" like they do with every foreigner who can utter a few intelligible words (1), and the usual chatter about how my country is so far away, and how my trip took 30 hours, and how I can speak Spanish, English and Japanese, etc.

So, since I hadn't had dinner yet (it was about 7pm), and not knowing how to deal with asking a Japanese girl out, I casually mention I haven't had dinner yet, and ask her if she has. She tells me she has, but after some more chatter she asks me if it was okay to come with me while I had my dinner.

So, thinking I had scored already, I of course tell her it's all right, and then I go take a bath. At 7:30, we're about to go out, and she tells me she's only got time till 9, since her bus to Tokyo departs at 10. Cursing my luck, I nonetheless tell her it's all right, since I was enjoying her company and the fact that I had a chance to practice my Japanese anyways, and then we decide to go eat close to Kyoto station.

I had a lot of fun while on the way to the station and during dinner. Good-natured fun, stemming from the fact that I love the language and I try to make the most out of every chance I have of speaking it. Furthermore, this girl was lovely and there were lots of opportunities for laughs and hearty chatter. We took some pictures together and everything. She even told me I was handsome at some point.

And I know I might be reading way too much into this, so don't bash me too hard.

(1) I don't consider my Japanese perfect by any means, but I rate myself, without modesty, well above the average foreigner's knowledge of Japanese. In particular, I believe my pronunciation to be close to perfect, though speaking with Japanese people has made me realize it's not just about pronunciation but also the general intonation, or "acting", so to speak, Japanese people use. But yeah, personally I think my Japanese is pretty good, since it allows me to understand almost everything that's said to me--the only limit being my vocabulary. Talking, of course, is harder, but not that bad either. Either way, this is just a short break for you to imagine my level of conversation with this girl.
I don't know what everyone else said, and I'm not an "expert" on Japanese culture, but I have some experience. I'm just going to mention that I believe you're overthinking this. Japanese people, especially women, can be very sincere and kind. Especially to foreigners. Don't contemplate the "why" factor. Just appreciate the gratitude and be happy you made a good friend.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-09, 09:31   Link #792
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Yesterday I went to the Osaka castle and some random Osakans invited me to their hanami party, and after that we went out to an izakaya and they paid for my food, all while having lots of laughs and interesting chatter.

Today I met a Korean in Hiroshima who's traveling through Japan by bicycle and who can't speak English, so we communicate by Japanese and we became friends.

Japan is awesome.

PS: I've been speaking so much Japanese lately it's becoming hard to write in English, so forgive me if my words are awkward-sounding, lol

Old 2010-04-10, 16:31   Link #793
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
A Korean eh? I almost thought the person was a Zainichi.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 08:17   Link #794
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

T_T These events sound so cool D: I wanna go there! May I ask what the learning curve is like for Japanese? I don't know if Rosetta Stone(I have it) will be enough especially for conversational purposes.
Old 2010-04-11, 11:21   Link #795
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
T_T These events sound so cool D: I wanna go there! May I ask what the learning curve is like for Japanese? I don't know if Rosetta Stone(I have it) will be enough especially for conversational purposes.
Rosetta Stone should be fine. I always think having someone that actually speaks the language is the best route. But Rosetta Stone is better than nothing. Just stick with it.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 17:35   Link #796
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I've never used Rosetta Stone. I've learned most of my Japanese by myself, by listening to it and making an effort in coming up with the meaning of things and the grammatical structure of the language alone. It's not hard if you like the language as much as I do--but of course, it's not a method for everyone and it varies from person to person. I'm not that good at being taught a language--I usually get bored and prefer to look things that interest me on my own.

I'm now in Fukuoka, resting a bit since there's not much to do here. I'm going to Nagasaki for a quick trip and then returning to Fukuoka for the night.

Old 2010-04-12, 08:23   Link #797
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Nagasaki was probably the most beautiful city I've visited up until now. Despite its sad history, it has so many sights and so different, so close to each other, and the fact that it's entrenched in a hilly sea bay makes it really beautiful.

In other news, I'm meeting again with the Tokyo girl on Saturday \o/

Old 2010-04-12, 09:00   Link #798
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

...Nagasaki? I guess it is beautiful. Of course, if I ever visited I'd be throwing slander around at America. (I don't consider myself American, I'm German. 75%+ German to be exact.)

The Tokyo girl? She must've taken a shine to you. Stupid question, but you have been using honorifics, right? I just hope this isn't a Morinth scenario *sweatdrop*

Tell me what you've been doing with the girl. She sounds quite wonderful~... I hope you get as much experience as possible.

...No, that isn't what I meant. I meant it without the innuendo in there.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 10:01   Link #799
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
I don't think a Japanese person would make you pay the whole bill. It would be perceived as being extremely rude I imagine (I still remember those salarymen in Tokyo splitting the bill on the street while drunk using a calculator, pen and paper after their night out). Whenever I went to eat with Japanese people they were strictly towards splitting in equal shares, if not more than willing to pay the whole cost... @_@

Interesting story you have there with the girl though.
Old 2010-04-12, 14:01   Link #800
H23

Has anybody ever gone to a previous Tokyo Game Show (TGS) convention in the past? Thinking about possibly going to the one this year, I think it'd be a great opportunity to check out Japan for the first time as well . . .

Tags
japan, travel