AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-10-14, 22:34   Link #901
Kudryavka

@xKou Many people get girlfriends in high school. Not everyone does, but many do.

3. Hm, I heard that kids in Japan spend too much time with school to get a job. The life of the unmarried Office Lady can be like having a part time job and no expenses, though.
5. No guy of any race gets nosebleeds from that irl.

To get a Japanese citizenship you have to stay in Japan for five consecutive years, have a good record (no horrible crimes, etc.), and be over ~twenty. You will be asked to surrender either your Japanese citizenship or your American citizenship, since Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. If you want your American citizenship back, you'll have to go with naturalization, which involves five years of staying in America after filling out the paperwork and turning 18. Your Japanese citizenship will automatically disappear once you get sworn in as an American citizen.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 22:48   Link #902
flying ^

I would like to go there for a visit, but first the yen must devalue (or the dollar appreciate) back to 2007 levels.
$1 = just 81 yen is ridiculous
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 16:17   Link #903
H23

I just got back from Japan 3 weeks ago. I stayed for about a total of almost 3 weeks - started out in Osaka, and ended up in Tokyo. Other cities/towns that we have gone to are Koya-san, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Hakone.

Beautiful country, delicious food, and people are wonderful. That's one of the shortest ways I could describe the place.. I mean the country is HOT and humid, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

And to the guy who was asking about whether people are too social in Japan or not - they are still people. All I can say is that, you get back as much as you try to put in. For me, my japanese is very broken and informal (picked up from watching anime throughout the years, much like others, hah ), but I definitely knew enough to get me around and make some small english/japanese talk with the locals. Not everybody speaks English, especially in the smaller towns, but they're still out there. They really do appreciate it when you make an honest effort to try and talk to them in Japanese though. Had an awesome time, and I met a lot of people that I still keep in touch with - and will probably hang out/meet with the next time I am in Japan, since I'm definitely coming back.
Old 2010-10-15, 16:19   Link #904
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
1. Are most people very social? cause i dont talk much(im known as the quiet guy at school). would they think im very wierd and tease me or ect?
I wouldn't say Japanese are less social than Westerners, but they are less open compared to Americans and more similar to, say, Germans in that respect.

Quote:
2. Are there alot of bullies? and if so, do i have permission to beat them up? >
Bullying is an issue in Japanese schools. My guess is it's because students in Japan are given more freedom. Bullying is often not in the form of violence, and if a foreigner is violent in Japan they're screwed. Read up on how police mistreat foreigners (and their own citizens).

Quote:
3. from what i see from anime, its normal to have a part time job from a early age right? in real life, is it easy to get a part time job in japan? and what age would be a normal age for a teenager to have a part time job.
Many schools forbid their students from taking part-time jobs. Japan has a very low unemployment rate.

Quote:
4. in japanese schools, do they do alot of things where the students NEED to participate?(like cultural festival). if i wanted, can i not participate?
There will always be students who stand around and do nothing.

Quote:
5. do japanese guys really get nosebleeds sometimes? like if a strong wind comes and makes some kawaii girls skirts go up, will a pervert get a nosebleed? . i would love to see that happen
No. I don't know why nosebleeds are common in manga/anime, but many Japanese regard blood as important.

Quote:
6. whats the normal kind of transportation one would use to go somewhere. like subway,train,bus, or ect? and how much would it cost. from what i see in anime, the characters seen to travel to different places in japan alot.
First off, et cetera is abbreviated as etc, and "a lot" is two words. Get you a spell check.
Buses are the most common form of transportation. Commuter trains are only prevalent in metropolises. There are many places where you can't survive without a car. Japanese are like everyone else in the world and rarely travel more than 50 km from their homes.

Quote:
7. What parts of japan are country? like a area with houses with electricity and plumbing but helping out in the rice fields and ect?(example would be the manga Kimi no Iru Machi)
Rice farming isn't very profitable and often needs government subsidies to exist. The industry is dying along with the villages it supported.

Quote:
8. is it worth visiting japan? whats it like there? and would it be okay to actually live there? if i knew a decent amount of japanese, and i lived in japan after finishing a college in america, what sort of stuff should i do to get started in living in a nice small apartment. my dream home has always been a japanese style house, but that aside, i wanted to live in a small apartment, each day going to my job and living the life of a shut in since i would know nobody there...
Japan is a very nice place to visit, not so nice to live in. If you're not bright, the easiest way to live in Japan for a few years is as an English teacher.

Quote:
9. if i were to go to japan without knowing anyone there but knew enough japanese and have an enough amount of money to rent an apartment for a short while, what should i do to get started.
Not many people go to Japan knowing Japanese, it's something you learn while you are there. If you are a quiet person you won't learn Japanese. There are many foreigners who live in Japan for 10+ years and are unable to pick up the language.

Quote:
10. final Question: are japanese libraries (including school libraries) what you might see in an anime? america's school libraries are very small and uber boring but public libraries are somewhat decent but.., are japanese libraries very big and nice? also.. is there anything else i should know if i were to going live in japan?
I visited several public libraries in the Kantou region and they all seemed pretty normal. One thing abnormal was the huge amount of bookstores, all of the same chain.

If you want to know more about Japanese culture you might be able to learn a couple things from reading this blog. The dude who wrote it is an American who was an Assistant Language Teacher for like five years in various Kansai middle schools. Some of the observations he makes on Japanese culture and societies in general are less than intellectual, but he is a funny writer.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 15:48   Link #905
Heiwatsuki

thanks for answering some of my questions . Ive always thought the Japanese weren't very open compared to korea. considering you dont see much japanese people around in America. But there are tons of koreans...

Ah, when i read demons post, i was surprised, i didnt know japanese schools forbid part-time jobs.
Quote:
5. No guy of any race gets nosebleeds from that irl.
aww, that wouldive been a sight worth seeing.

Quote:
Rice farming isn't very profitable and often needs government subsidies to exist. The industry is dying along with the villages it supported.
That sucks -.-. i have always loved the country more than cities. wonder if i would have a chance of seeing something like that in Korea... and do you know some places where this kind of job would still exist? on Google street viewer, i think i remember once seeing a field of rice, i forgot where i looked though...

Quote:
Bullying is an issue in Japanese schools. My guess is it's because students in Japan are given more freedom. Bullying is often not in the form of violence, and if a foreigner is violent in Japan they're screwed. Read up on how police mistreat foreigners (and their own citizens).
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0070814zg.html <-- wow...

so basically, if i was confronted by bullies, and they threw the first punch, and I hit back, I would be in a lot more trouble than the bullies themselves? :/ . oh BTW, when you said that a violent foreigner would get screwed, do the police get involved in bully cases? wouldn't the teacher sort it out(or do the teachers also treat foreigners the same? and well... i would probably fit in when it comes to looks. since im a Korean and my friends(also Korean) tell me I look more Japanese. Koreans and Japanese look somewhat similar enough.... i guess.

Quote:
Japan is a very nice place to visit, not so nice to live in. If you're not bright, the easiest way to live in Japan for a few years is as an English teacher.
guess that destroys my hopes of finding a nice job in a manga store or somewhere calm and living in a small apartment in peace. sigh... guess ill just visit Japan frequently instead of living there.

Quote:
Not many people go to Japan knowing Japanese, it's something you learn while you are there. If you are a quiet person you won't learn Japanese. There are many foreigners who live in Japan for 10+ years and are unable to pick up the language.
watching anime with subtitles for 10 years would be more efficient eh? . (joke, but it is true..)

Quote:
To get a Japanese citizenship you have to stay in Japan for five consecutive years, have a good record (no horrible crimes, etc.), and be over ~twenty. You will be asked to surrender either your Japanese citizenship or your American citizenship, since Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. If you want your American citizenship back, you'll have to go with naturalization, which involves five years of staying in America after filling out the paperwork and turning 18. Your Japanese citizenship will automatically disappear once you get sworn in as an American citizen.
thanks . i wonder what would happen if i lived in japan for 4.99 years and visited America for a month and came back . oh BTW, what if your living with a relative for 5 years. Does that still count? Would they force me to expunge my American Citizenship if i wanted to stay in Japan?

Note: http://gaijinchronicles.com/category...eacher/page/6/ this is one hilarious link you gave me. Thanks demon .

Last edited by Heiwatsuki; 2010-10-16 at 16:37.
Heiwatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 20:40   Link #906
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
the idea about nose bleeds is an old wives tale (from what I've heard, it originated in Japan, but I could be wrong) that goes something like: guy sees girl that turns him on, and the blood fills up his nether regions, and over-flows through his nose.

I don't know if you've ever been out of the country Autumn Demon, but from my experience (I spent a month in Japan, and over 3 years traveling/living in other parts of the world) after the initial excitement of being in a new place, and seeing all the tourist traps wears off, your still stuck in the rut that's called life, and as the saying goes "it's the same old stars up in the sky". So it might seem magical to go and live in Japan, but on the exact flip side tons of foreigners watch Hollywood movies and think America is incredibly awesome (ok, so it is...but it's not as great as they all make it out to be).
It's still a really great life experience though to go and live somewhere overseas for a while. It gives you a different sort of street smarts that you just don't get from being at home. I'm seriously thinking about going to teach for a year in Japan at some point (by biggest problem is fitting it into my plan, but I think I may be able to make it work)
and don't for a second think that I'm not advocating travel...I have very itchy feet and love to travel, but I've learned that it's not all as magical as you expect

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 22:43   Link #907
Kudryavka

@xKou You could leave Japan for a few weeks and still get your citizenship.

Also, you can't just squat in Japan for five years and become a citizen. You have to apply for citizenship, and your naturalization process won't begin until the proper paperwork is filled out. Without the paperwork, you won't be getting any closer to becoming a citizen. Same goes for becoming a naturalized American citizen (and it explains why we have illegals running around that have been here for over a decade, and still don't understand that being a citizen is better than being here illegally >_>)
Old 2010-10-16, 22:53   Link #908
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
if someone has a teaching or working visa to Japan, can they buy a house?

School Rumble 4Ever!
Old 2010-10-17, 07:37   Link #909
Heiwatsuki

@xKou You could leave Japan for a few weeks and still get your citizenship.

Quote:
Also, you can't just squat in Japan for five years and become a citizen. You have to apply for citizenship, and your naturalization process won't begin until the proper paperwork is filled out. Without the paperwork, you won't be getting any closer to becoming a citizen. Same goes for becoming a naturalized American citizen (and it explains why we have illegals running around that have been here for over a decade, and still don't understand that being a citizen is better than being here illegally >_>)
LOL i see. thanks .
Quote:
if someone has a teaching or working visa to Japan, can they buy a house?
i have the same question :O. Anyone know?
Old 2010-10-18, 05:31   Link #910
Tokyo_Arwen

I haven't a clue. I suppose how permanent they are in japan. Most english teachers are here for short term and so we just rent. For longer term people, they are often married to a Japanese and no doubt that makes things easier.

I see a lot of talk about naturalization. I don't really know much about the process, but I get the impression that it's difficult to get and not particularly rewarding (as long as you look foreign, you'll be treated so.) A fellow teacher has been here for about 15 years and is married with 2 kids and he's given up getting citizenship.

There's bullying in Japan because japanese kids are still human, as are teachers. There are always kids standing around, but if you are reluctant in everything (sports, culture fest, cleaning etc, club) you'll get a bad name for yourself. Students are expected to be involved. That's why they have student council, charities committee, greeting group (I am not sure if this is the same as the student council). High schools and universities also look at these things so kids who aren't involved are disadvantaged.
Tokyo_Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 20:13   Link #911
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

just based on how foreigners are portrayed in anime, there are probably a lot of stereotypes about rich, smart, blond, and blue eyes foreigners which would make life hard for halfsies kids

School Rumble 4Ever!
Old 2010-10-18, 20:50   Link #912
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindovermatter View Post
just based on how foreigners are portrayed in anime, there are probably a lot of stereotypes about rich, smart, blond, and blue eyes foreigners which would make life hard for halfsies kids
What about the rich non-English/French descended ones?
Old 2010-10-19, 00:06   Link #913
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
What about the rich non-English/French descended ones?
If you're chinese your eye-slanted yellow
If you're from southeast asia you're brown.
Old 2010-10-19, 00:20   Link #914
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
If you're chinese your eye-slanted yellow
If you're from southeast asia you're brown.
The above is wrong on so many counts that I'll just chalk it to blatant ignorance.

Being Chinese myself, it's usually easy for me to distinguish between the Chinese and the Japanese based on physical characteristics, but it's most certainly not as simple as just looking at the shape of the eyes (if that were so, I wouldn't have been so often mistaken for being Japanese by other Japanese when I was in their country). For one thing, you have to be aware of the physical differences between northern Chinese and southern Chinese — the northern Chinese look more similar to the Japanese. Southern Chinese, the ones you more often see in Hong Kong, Guangdong and Fujian, tend to have rounder eyes. There are also other distinguishing features that are too subtle to describe in general terms.

To take it a step further, I have a Chinese friend who is even able to distinguish between major Chinese dialect groups based just on appearance alone. I have no idea how he spots the differences, but that gives you a further idea of difficult it is to "tell".

And as for the "brown-ness" of South-east Asians, my appearance alone is enough to debunk such simplistic description.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 00:28   Link #915
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
And as for the "brown-ness" of South-east Asians, my appearance alone is enough to debunk such simplistic description.
Your country is an exception. The browns still make up the majority in that region, like indonesians and philippinos. And the majority of southeast asians in japan are philippinos, and in the eyes of the japanese, brown is the default for southeast asians, and so is south asia and latin america.
Also, I acknowledge that there are white skinned people in latine and southeast asia, but that's due to spanish or portugese blood in them (or recently, the nazis that escaped to latin america). They are a minority in SE asia and latin america, but they are overwhelmingly represented in the media and politics in some countries like philippines, mexico and brazil.

Last edited by flying ^; 2010-10-19 at 00:58.
Old 2010-10-19, 01:26   Link #916
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Your country is an exception. The browns still make up the majority in that region, like indonesians and philippinos. And the majority of southeast asians in japan are philippinos, and in the eyes of the japanese, brown is the default for southeast asians, and so is south asia and latin america.
Also, I acknowledge that there are white skinned people in latine and southeast asia, but that's due to spanish or portugese blood in them (or recently, the nazis that escaped to latin america). They are a minority in SE asia and latin america, but they are overwhelmingly represented in the media and politics in some countries like philippines, mexico and brazil.
O rly?

I wonder how you'd account for the Thais, the Vietnamese, the Burmese and Laotians then. Thailand, especially, since it is the one country in South-east Asia that was never colonised.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 01:49   Link #917
Tokyo_Arwen

if you are non-asian everyone assumes that you are american.
Tokyo_Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 01:58   Link #918
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
O rly?

I wonder how you'd account for the Thais, the Vietnamese, the Burmese and Laotians then. Thailand, especially, since it is the one country in South-east Asia that was never colonised.
vietnam is technically labeled southeast but in the eyes of japanese they just lump them with chinese
Old 2010-10-19, 02:00   Link #919
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Arwen View Post
if you are non-asian everyone assumes that you are american.

BUT when they smell odor the japanese automatically assume you're armenian (and other countries in the caucasus) or russian

Last edited by flying ^; 2010-10-19 at 02:49.
Old 2010-10-19, 15:54   Link #920
Heiwatsuki

Originally posted by Tokyo Arwen
Quote:
There are always kids standing around, but if you are reluctant in everything (sports, culture fest, cleaning etc, club) you'll get a bad name for yourself. Students are expected to be involved. That's why they have student council, charities committee, greeting group (I am not sure if this is the same as the student council). High schools and universities also look at these things so kids who aren't involved are disadvantaged.
My joy in school is too to be the stranger in the background and seeing the passage of life go on its daily routine. I like to watch other people have fun and enjoy their lives. I would love to just be the dude in the corner of the room who stares out of the window all day, and at the same time be somewhat a part of the events that occurring everyday by only a few actions. For example, if someone asked me a question or asked me to help move something, ill be completely glad to. I'm more of a passive and serving kind of person than an active participant. If i were in Japan, i would love to help,clean, and do other things in the background. I hate being involved where I actually have to do something with others that have no particular purpose other than to have fun or exercise. My joys are different from others.

I find it very saddening how people cant seem to respect other people who are not considered ordinary ( this doesn't just apply in one area... ). Every day at school, people around me always ask me why I don't talk or don't like to talk. When class is reading a story together, people say '' Lets let *my name* read a part of the story because he doesn't talk''. All the damn time time teachers ask me to stay after class and waste my time by asking if there is a problem with me.

Why can't people learn to understand I just dislike talking and participating? The only conclusion I've found is that they are ignorant. I am not referring to being ignorant of the fact i dislike to talk, but the fact that they are ignorant of everything. People everyday act ''normal'', as you call it. But is calling others gay ( which doesn't even make sense considering they call people inappropriate names for doing either absolutely nothing or if they don't like what the other person is doing), gossiping about others, enjoying bullying people, lieing, talking about sex related things, and being completely illogical really considered normal?

Then the worlds sense of normal is twisted. In the older days there were less people like the people are right now. Due to the influence of the internet, television,other people, and other people, the people in the world now have become sex obsessed, liers, cheaters, assholes, and their very minds have become corrupted. Can you truly say that you have not noticed that people all the time are completely illogical? Insulting others using words doesnt even apply to them. Randomly shouting out comments that is flowing through their mind or to be funny. On the internet I see flamers that say stuff like F%CK Y@% YA LITTLE D!#$, SUCK MY FATA$$ C&CK. And then the flamers call you gay, when they themselves are asking you to suck their peenus. Sad really... And other times I see flamers who say they are smart and make more sense than you while they are shouting out random shit that fails in the spelling bee. Many peoples morals and values are so distorted when compared to the ''old normal''.

Many, not all, of the people around me are stupid( and not just in America, in all the places around the world, there are idiots ) . Also if you asking what exactly people are ignorant about, its the fact that they do not even understand the meaning of the words they say, the actions they commit, and how their decisions are affecting others( or they just don't plain care for others. They act based on what they are thinking and how they feel. And all this leads to the fact that people don't think enough to leave me alone. When anyone asks me why i don't, I mostly completely ignore them and walk away without even acknowledging them. I only reply to the people who sincerely seem to question why I dislike talking, don't know me very well, and seem kind. Trying to get me talk has become a joke among people and is getting on my nerves. But I have met some sincerely nice and yet ignorant people, but of course, they are the minority. I have no problem with ignorance as long as they don't bother me or anyone else. Well I am glad that at least somewhere in the world there are people who can think. Ive seen a lot of smart people here in Animesuki.

Well im getting tired of typing, im just complaining about the state of humanity... nothing more...

The only reason why I want to move to Japan is to have a chance to live a new life. I hate everything here, be it family, friends, people, and environment. If I want to live a new life, why not try out the home country of my favorite source of media entertainment? And thats why I'm here reading this thread .

Tags
japan, travel