AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-09-18, 12:26   Link #1021
Solafighter
Hige

Oh! I almost forgot about this thread.

In July and August i have been in Japan for 4 weeks. From Narita, i went to Saitama to meet some friends. From then, to Zao(Miyagi), Matsushima, Osaka, Kobe, Ako, Kyoto, Shirakawa-go, Tusruga, Okayama, Nagoya, Matsumoto, Omachi, Tokyo.

But these 4 weeks werent long enough. Im thinking to go again next year, for 3 weeks.

Here are some impressions of this year trip.

Spoiler for photos:
Old 2012-09-18, 14:24   Link #1022
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Neat! Where will you be going? I just went and did Tokyo/Kyoto/Hakone back in April, it was absolutely beautiful with the cherry blossoms falling everywhere.. It reminded me of the cherry blossoms in my hometown!

I wonder if it'll be snowing yet? The idea of sitting in an onsen with the snow falling around is awful appealing..

I am kind of hoping for some snow because that might help with drab winter scenery.

We will be going to Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo for sure (maybe Nara). And I'd like to go to Hitoyoshi (but not sure if I will have time for that).

No Onsen unfortunately, I don't think my friend is into that. We will be staying in a Ryokan that has public baths though so maybe I can convince him.

I wish I could have went when the cherry blossoms were out. Got to see that last time I was in Japan and it was quite lovely.

edit: Hitoyoshi is out of the question bc apparently air travel is required. Oh well!
Old 2012-09-18, 18:28   Link #1023
KitsuneShi
Lone Hoshi

Woah nice pics! Is one of them a picture of Hinamizawa from the anime Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni? Looks extremely similar. The pic of the Village
Old 2012-09-19, 04:42   Link #1024
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneShi View Post
Is one of them a picture of Hinamizawa from the anime Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni? Looks extremely similar. The pic of the Village
Yep, it is.
Old 2012-09-19, 06:02   Link #1025
Domonkazu

awesome pic, the countryside looks so pretty.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 08:28   Link #1026
Kirarakim

Those pictures are awesome Solafighter. It seems you got to see a whole lot of the country.

Anyways I wonder if anyone can give me advice. I just realized the Omi-Jingu shrine (featured in Chihayafuru) is very close to Kyoto. I think it's in Otsu. I would kick myself if I am that close & can't see it. Does anyone have any advice about going there. Is it quicker from Osaka or Kyoto? I can probably only make a quick trip there but I don't want to miss it.
Old 2012-09-19, 08:38   Link #1027
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Wah i miss that place...
Great pics, solafighter...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 13:47   Link #1028
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
So I will be going in December
Same here, I am going with a friend in December, touring the central country before Christmas, and then stay for a couple of months in Tokyo.

Anyone planning to visit comiket?

Does Himeji castle worth visiting now that is under massive renovation works?

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-09-20 at 14:18.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 15:52   Link #1029
thankonomics

If any of you intend on visiting any spots in Kyushu, I'd highly recommend visiting Sasebo. I grew up on the military base there for 13 years. And I miss Sasebo burgers. I have to say, since I moved back to the US, no burger can top Sasebo burgers. There's a particular burger shop that I'd recommend called Hikari.

Sasebo's also about an hour away from Nagasaki and Fukuoka. Definitely check out the Peace Park in Nagasaki. If you're more into shopping, I'd say to check out Canal City in Fukuoka.
thankonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 14:16   Link #1030
Solafighter
Hige

Another reason, why i love Japan.

Spoiler for photo:
Old 2012-09-27, 22:47   Link #1031
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Isn't it dangerous to obscure the view from the rear windshield
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 22:25   Link #1032
willx
Nyaaan~~

Okay, finally got a few of my April 2012 Japan trip pictures up.. only a few though, the fiance hasn't "approved" the rest of them yet..

Picture quality isn't as good as yours, Sola, we're using a 5+ year old point & shoot

The view from our deck at the ryokan I stayed at in Hakone:
Spoiler for Ryokan:

Multi-coloured cherry blossoms in Shinjuku Gyoen in Tokyo:
Spoiler for Wide / Cropped:

Temple & Street near my hotel / Tokyo Tower:
Spoiler for Tokyo:
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 23:23   Link #1033
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Another reason, why i love Japan.
I wouldn't be surprise if some otaku will jump on the car and hugs it... wiping their face on the side crying Mio Chan!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 23:47   Link #1034
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Gorgeous pics, everyone!

Being freshly a Ph.D student, I hope to gather enough cash within a few years to have my first trip in Japan soon.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 20:35   Link #1035
Seitsuki
Onee!

Will probably be visiting Tokyo mid Nov. with family on a trip. Suggestions? Recommendations? What sort of stuff is there to do there?
Old 2012-10-15, 22:41   Link #1036
willx
Nyaaan~~

Ooh! Excited for you! Although now that I think about it Tokyo was not my favourite place when I went to Japan in April .. Maybe the natives can chime in on top of me..

From what I saw, I can recommend Shinjuku Gyoen (gorgeous), Tsukuji Fish Market (interesting, but I wouldn't spend too much time there, you can also eat there, way in the back) and Akihabara, Ginza, Shibuya and Roppongi Hills just to see the sights .. Are you going to be with your family most of / the whole time?
Old 2012-10-15, 23:02   Link #1037
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Will probably be visiting Tokyo mid Nov. with family on a trip. Suggestions? Recommendations? What sort of stuff is there to do there?
Anywhere with a maid cafe.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 03:34   Link #1038
Seitsuki
Onee!

I would rather die before dragging my Onee san and father into a maid cafe. I probably actually would die. Or at least be dead to everyone important to me. I'd like to preserve my life thanks orz

Will: I guess we can travel around. I remember you could get rail passes or something? I think I can also stay a bit longer personally, but I don't even really know what I'd like to do. The last time I was there I was in Tokyo for an evening. My sis is interested in food, anything along those lines? And general sightseeing? And what would you recommend for accommodation if I was by myself?
Old 2012-10-16, 05:22   Link #1039
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I would rather die before dragging my Onee san and father into a maid cafe. I probably actually would die. Or at least be dead to everyone important to me. I'd like to preserve my life thanks orz
You have an elder sister? Sume-nee is jealous, she wants you to make her your first.

Actually you should bring your family to one, they aren't that bad or dirty as they seem (at least over here that is). Though I am worried that your mum might stab your dad to death with a table knife for looking at one of them.

I always wanted to visit the Isonokami Shrine in Nara. You may want to check the place out if you are interested in esoteric spirituality, i.e principles/paths of life.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 13:08   Link #1040
willx
Nyaaan~~

@Seitsuki / Saintess -- Don't worry about ogling the maids at the cafes / in Akihabara -- most of them are unattractive

If you're going to be staying in Tokyo, it's unlikely that the JR Rail pass will be worth the money, especially as they don't give you access to the Tokyo subway lines (non-JR) .. but if you'll be travelling around prefectures via the shinkansen at all it might be worth a look at one of the passes (http://www.jrpass.com/ - I'd say look for a good local authorized supplier)

With regards to sight seeing, accommodations, etc. it depends somewhat on your budget, but there's lots to see and do -- but it depends on what you're after. I'm less familiar with budget/capsule/hostel hotels so I won't opine on that. I personally was only there for 3 full days and only caught a glimpse of the various neighborhoods .. which was enough for me for that one trip as we were also seeing Kyoto and Hakone and trying to take it all in and relax. Heck, I randomly went to a Leonardo da vinci exhibit at Bunkamura just cause!

FYI, I went through my emails and found a "destination guide" that my credit card concierge put together for me, maybe it'll be helpful for sights/attractions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoxab71lj9...20Infinite.pdf

Tags
japan, travel