AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-08, 20:50   Link #1221
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Umm....is the Yurikamome supposed to be haunted or something? I was riding it too .__.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 20:52   Link #1222
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Umm....is the Yurikamome supposed to be haunted or something? I was riding it too .__.
It is when you are afraid of heights and/or edges
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 23:14   Link #1223
YF19EX
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAidan View Post
Hey guys

I'll be going to Tokyo this friday

There I will stay in a host family for about 5 weeks.

Can you give me any advice what I should visit or do?


Is there anything you always wanted to know about japan, culture, japanese...
Post it and i will try to find it out while i am there.



thanks for you comments.

Well 5 weeks is a lot of time. It would be a good time to traverse the whole country. A JR Rail pass would be recommended if you can get one on short notice. Be aware they have different length of time they can be used and costs accordingly. Initial cost is pretty expensive even for a week. But several uses on a Shinkansen and daily use on the JR rails especially in Tokyo will more than pay for itself. Being able to run around from one end of the country to the other in a day or so is great.

3 years ago, I based myself out of Osaka and took a week to hit up, Hiroshima (Kure for the Yamato Musium), Kyoto, Okayama, Himeji etc.

Within Tokyo itself, there is more than enough to eat up a week or two's time if you pace yourself. Most of the places already mentioned are good to go.

Tips for Akihabara: It is easier to run around Akihabara in the middle of the week when most people are at work. Toward the afternoon as everyone gets out and the shops fill up fast and get crowded. Needless to say weekends are also crazy. I do recommend Akihabara on Sunday when they close the main street and everyone can walk from one end to the other without traffic through out the day. On a side note, I was unfortunately in Akihabara at the time of the massacre in 2008 which canceled the Sunday closings for several years. Earlier this year was the first time I returned to Aki on a Sunday. Now they cord-den off the end streets with vehicle spike barriers to prevent any vehicle entry as that is what caused the initial casualties during that incident.

Tokyo Game Show (TGS) is next week on the 21-22 at Makuhari Messa in Chiba. I need to get in a demo of Ace Combat if the lines are not too crazy.

Also take in the Edo Tokyo Museum, Tokyo Tower, then Skytree. This will be my first attempt at trying to get into the Skytree since its opening, so I hope the ticket lines and ques won't be too bad.

One of the other items to mention, is that the city looks and feels different during the day and at night. I would recommend visiting certain areas at different times to get a contrasting experience. For instance, Shibuya is busy through out the day but comes alive at night. The Asakusa shrine is also quite different in day and night. Same goes for observation decks in high places such as The Skytree, Tokyo Tower, Landmark Tower etc.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 01:51   Link #1224
SirAidan
yourSavior and 救済者
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the middle of our Empire
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Well 5 weeks is a lot of time. It would be a good time to traverse the whole country. A JR Rail pass would be recommended if you can get one on short notice. Be aware they have different length of time they can be used and costs accordingly. Initial cost is pretty expensive even for a week. But several uses on a Shinkansen and daily use on the JR rails especially in Tokyo will more than pay for itself. Being able to run around from one end of the country to the other in a day or so is great.

3 years ago, I based myself out of Osaka and took a week to hit up, Hiroshima (Kure for the Yamato Musium), Kyoto, Okayama, Himeji etc.

Within Tokyo itself, there is more than enough to eat up a week or two's time if you pace yourself. Most of the places already mentioned are good to go.

Tips for Akihabara: It is easier to run around Akihabara in the middle of the week when most people are at work. Toward the afternoon as everyone gets out and the shops fill up fast and get crowded. Needless to say weekends are also crazy. I do recommend Akihabara on Sunday when they close the main street and everyone can walk from one end to the other without traffic through out the day. On a side note, I was unfortunately in Akihabara at the time of the massacre in 2008 which canceled the Sunday closings for several years. Earlier this year was the first time I returned to Aki on a Sunday. Now they cord-den off the end streets with vehicle spike barriers to prevent any vehicle entry as that is what caused the initial casualties during that incident.

Tokyo Game Show (TGS) is next week on the 21-22 at Makuhari Messa in Chiba. I need to get in a demo of Ace Combat if the lines are not too crazy.

Also take in the Edo Tokyo Museum, Tokyo Tower, then Skytree. This will be my first attempt at trying to get into the Skytree since its opening, so I hope the ticket lines and ques won't be too bad.

One of the other items to mention, is that the city looks and feels different during the day and at night. I would recommend visiting certain areas at different times to get a contrasting experience. For instance, Shibuya is busy through out the day but comes alive at night. The Asakusa shrine is also quite different in day and night. Same goes for observation decks in high places such as The Skytree, Tokyo Tower, Landmark Tower etc.
Thank you a lot. I have an idea now, what to visit and what to do. Akihabara sounds really great. I could pass a lot of time there. I like video games and anime, so perfect place.
My school is just 20 minutes away from Akihabara.

I keep in mind that the places look different in night or day.

Is there any food I have to try or should NOT eat ?
__________________
SirAidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 19:25   Link #1225
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Avoid natto. Apart from that, you're fine!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 20:04   Link #1226
YF19EX
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Ah Food!

I remember reading an article about Tokyo beating our I believe Paris as having the best restaurants in the world. I can believe that. Never will you ever find an abundance of everything from vending machines at ever turn, from 250 yen beef bowls (good for breakfast, lunch and dinner) to the extravagant at the top of the Tokyo Park Hyatt (there are probably even more expensive but that's as most I have paid).

I digress as I am probably not the best when it comes to food due to my picky nature. I avoid seafood, and as long as it involves pork, chicken, hamburger (or beef in general) and deep frying, I am good! But the place has every possible want imaginable.

I like starting in coffee shops and French Pastery Shops like Via de France or places likes Becks, First Kitchen and yes even the occasional Starbucks.

Lunch and dinnner can range from the local Katsu Shops, Ramen to places like Matsuya Beef Bowls to expensive places require reservations in advance etc.

Probably some food connoisseur around here is probably bleeding from the eyes at some of the places mentioned, but it goes to show, around every corner of Tokyo, you will not be without food options. Variety is the spice of life and well, you can't get any better than this place!
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 22:30   Link #1227
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Avoid natto. Apart from that, you're fine!
Nah, YOLO... it is very disgusting nonetheless, and sometimes they hide it inside other food (temaki in my case) for a very nasty surprise
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 22:59   Link #1228
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Avoid natto. Apart from that, you're fine!
But nattou is awesome.

It is however, a great prank food to use on foreigners.
It's sort of our Hawaiian "Poi".
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 13:36   Link #1229
SirAidan
yourSavior and 救済者
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the middle of our Empire
Age: 23
Okay thanks. I will be aware of nattou.

I am not sure but someone told me dont mention you watch anime. But why?

Can i not just go and like say i watch anime you too? because a lot of people watch anime there, right?
__________________
SirAidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 14:11   Link #1230
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
But nattou is awesome.

It is however, a great prank food to use on foreigners.
It's sort of our Hawaiian "Poi".
Nattou is not like Poi. Poi is delicate. The texture may be weird, but it is subtle like taro itself. Nattou is .. musky, earthy and in your face.
__________________
Nyaaaan~~
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 19:25   Link #1231
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAidan View Post
Okay thanks. I will be aware of nattou.

I am not sure but someone told me dont mention you watch anime. But why?

Can i not just go and like say i watch anime you too? because a lot of people watch anime there, right?
Not mentioning you watch anime is silly, IMO. The idea that there's a massive social stigma attached to anyone who does here is completely false in my experience. If you're a gaijin than any locals would be even less surprised.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 03:40   Link #1232
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Nattou is not like Poi. Poi is delicate. The texture may be weird, but it is subtle like taro itself. Nattou is .. musky, earthy and in your face.
Did you not bother to read the rest of the post?
I'm comparing it to poi for its use of "using it on visitors to observe their reaction", not the actual food texture.

And half my relatives, including my own step-father, are Hawaiian thank you.
I see them do this shit all the time, in fact, I learned it from them.
__________________

Last edited by aohige; 2013-09-13 at 03:54.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 11:24   Link #1233
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Okay, I must be confused, because I didn't quite get it. This may be because I didn't react particularly differently when I tried Poi for the first time. Nattou however I found repulsive.
__________________
Nyaaaan~~
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 18:46   Link #1234
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Going to Kyoto in November for the autumn leaves and was wondering if anyone had any advice for what not to miss.

This is my 3rd time going to Kyoto so I've seen most of the well known shrines and temples already but I've wanted to know which of these do you definitely recommend I not miss specifically for fall colors. I am already very familiar with Arashiyama & Kiyomizudera so no need to recommend those.


en.rocketnews24.com/2013/09/05/12-of-the-best-places-in-kyoto-to-enjoy-the-autumn-colors/

Note: I will be in Kyoto about 4 days but I also want to do things around the area like Nara, Kurama/Kibune, and Ishiyamadera in Otsu City which might limit what I can see in Kyoto.
__________________

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-10-16 at 19:27.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 09:36   Link #1235
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
My #1 hidden gem is Ishiyama-dera in Otsu, about 20 minutes from Kyoto Station by train. Murasaki Shikibu wrote part of Genji Monogatari there, and it's the most beautiful temple I've visited, Kyoto or elsewhere.

I'd also recommend Kurama and Kibune Jinja, if you haven't been. Take the Dentetsu Line to Kurama, hike uo through Kurama-dera and take the train back down from Kibune village.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 12:34   Link #1236
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
My #1 hidden gem is Ishiyama-dera in Otsu, about 20 minutes from Kyoto Station by train. Murasaki Shikibu wrote part of Genji Monogatari there, and it's the most beautiful temple I've visited, Kyoto or elsewhere.

I'd also recommend Kurama and Kibune Jinja, if you haven't been. Take the Dentetsu Line to Kurama, hike uo through Kurama-dera and take the train back down from Kibune village.
As of right now I definitely plan to do both. I wanted to do Ishiyama-dera last time but missed out so I won't make that mistake this time. Plus it will be nice to get away from the crowds in Kyoto.

But is there any reason you recommend starting from Kurama? I see most sites recommend the opposite (starting from Kibune and ending up in Kurama). Just curious!
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 12:40   Link #1237
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Not entire related to the thread, but in a few months time, i gonna meet up with a lady coming from Kochi. So was searching for any anime characters or any video having people speaking in Tosaben. Probably won't be helpful the least, but just to be a bit readi-er in case i want to start a short conversation with her in Japanese.

Any suggestions on an anime character, or youtube video that provide conversations of people speaking in Tosaben. As apparently got none from the anime suggestion thread.
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 16:05   Link #1238
AmeNoJaku
dead-pan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Work in Europe... imminent :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
As of right now I definitely plan to do both. I wanted to do Ishiyama-dera last time but missed out so I won't make that mistake this time. Plus it will be nice to get away from the crowds in Kyoto.

But is there any reason you recommend starting from Kurama? I see most sites recommend the opposite (starting from Kibune and ending up in Kurama). Just curious!
If you are interested in short trips try the Buddhist complexes of Hie-zan and Koya-san. Also Bitchuu-Matsuyama and Hikone castles offer excellent examples of hilltop and flatland castle architecture.

A little bit further away (well... more like 4-5 hours train rides), you can visit either Ise or Izumo grand shrines of Amaterasu and Ookuni, which along with Inari (which I guess you have visited already in Kyoutou) are the most important Shintou shrines in the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Not entire related to the thread, but in a few months time, i gonna meet up with a lady coming from Kochi. So was searching for any anime characters or any video having people speaking in Tosaben. Probably won't be helpful the least, but just to be a bit readi-er in case i want to start a short conversation with her in Japanese.

Any suggestions on an anime character, or youtube video that provide conversations of people speaking in Tosaben. As apparently got none from the anime suggestion thread.
Just say how much you love rural life and sake

Whenever I mentioned how much I liked anything else from Shikoku, everyone (including natives) gave me a weirder than usual, puzzled stare

Anyway, western Japanese in general are very "warm-blooded", expressing their opinion more openly than other Asian cultures, are easy to talk to, and are much more genuinely interested in foreigners than more cosmopolitan parts of the country... and this is overgeneralizing from limited experience.
__________________

Last edited by AmeNoJaku; 2013-10-18 at 16:16.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 17:51   Link #1239
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
A little bit further away (well... more like 4-5 hours train rides), you can visit either Ise or Izumo grand shrines of Amaterasu and Ookuni, which along with Inari (which I guess you have visited already in Kyoutou) are the most important Shintou shrines in the region.
Thanks for the recommendations but unfortunately I don't have too much time for many more day trips. I do want to see some shrines/temples that I have not gone to yet in Kyoto (especially ones noted for their autumn scenery) and I know from past experience it is hard to see more than 3 or 4 in a day.

I should have about 4 days in the Kansai region. I might be able to extend it a little (depending when I take the train to and from Tokyo as my trip starts and ends there, but then I also want to have some time for shopping in Tokyo).

Anyways, yes I have been to Fushimi Inari and loved it (but who wouldn't?). I had the most absolutely amazing Nishin-Soba there as well. I don't think I will have time to go back this trip though. I am trying to see things I haven't seen before or things that will look significantly different because of the change of season.

That is why I am going back to Kiyomizu. I've been there twice before, but every time the trees are bare. This time I am hoping to see Kiyomizu surrounded by red maple leaves.

But I am hoping this won't be my last time in Japan. Even though my co-workers already think I am crazy that I went back 2 years in a row.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 19:46   Link #1240
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
As of right now I definitely plan to do both. I wanted to do Ishiyama-dera last time but missed out so I won't make that mistake this time. Plus it will be nice to get away from the crowds in Kyoto.

But is there any reason you recommend starting from Kurama? I see most sites recommend the opposite (starting from Kibune and ending up in Kurama). Just curious!
I like hiking up through the temple (they have a cable car, too) and then finishing in Kibune, because there are a number of restaurants and cafes there. But if you do the reverse there's an onsen in Kurama you could finish up at.

Incidentally, I love Koya-san but I wouldn't do it as a day trip. It's best at night (especially the Okunoin) and the temple stay is really an indispensable part of the experience.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
japan, travel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.