AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2003-11-13, 07:25   Link #21
Ximmer
Zombie

Send a message via MSN to Ximmer
I'm still working on it =) just slowed down a bit.

and about saving the torrents.. I could add a feature that copys them into a user defined folder... but you'd have to turn the feature on and select the folder you'd like the files to go into.

I've got a new small feature for the Blockmap and "Batch" torrents as they're called... I've got it working now where it will show the filename and then the blocks that the represent that file so it's easier to tell what files are being downloaded.

Also theres a Priority System where you can give the individual files in Batch torrents more Precedance over other files. it doens't guarantee that that file will download first but it does make it way more likely.

Thanks everyone for all the support.
Old 2003-11-15, 11:17   Link #22
Killerattacks

Your client is really great. Finally there is a good client i can switch to from my buggy BT++.
But Im still missing some features... If you could please add them. It would make Torment the perfect client IMHO

- The possibility to pause a download. (If you need your bandwith for other things, but wont rehash all torrents again)
- The already mentioned .torrent folder. Ths swas the thing I liked the most about BT++. You simply put some torrents in a folder, start BT++ and you can leave your PC alone.
- The last thing: It would be nice if there would be an option like "Max number of simultaneous downloads". You have to wait to long for a torrent finishing if you have to many downloads running.

But aside that, Torment is cool Client IMHO.

[Edit]
I just encountered a problem with Torment... It's slow. At least it's a lot slower than BT++, where I had 100% of my bandwith used most the time. But with torment its only about 1/2 up to 2/3. Besides that it simply ignores my "Max. upload Speed" value. And I have DSL ...you know what that means...
I think I will have to use BT++ again -__-

Last edited by Killerattacks; 2003-11-15 at 12:58.
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 14:23   Link #23
Killerattacks

Ok...now I did a comparison by myself... I dont know if its representative or not but at least it seems that Torment isnt perfect yet.

Check this out:
Test on my system with 96kB down / 16kB up connection.
I started a programm which shows the outgoing/ingoing traffic after BT++ and Torment resp. had the first of the 8 testfiles hashed and started to download. From this point on I recorded the traffic process for the next 10 Minutes. The Testfiles contained 2 batch torrents, 3 old/very new torrents and 3 regular torrents.
The results:

BT++
Torment
Torment Settings
The only BT++ setting was "Max. Upload = 8"

As you can see after 4 minutes BT++ downloaded continuous for the remaining 6 minutes with my full BW, whereas Torment downloads slower all the time.

But like I mentioned before. This could be just my system and maybe this wont happen if you dont use ADSL or whatever...I just dont get why one BT client is slower than another on the same system, with the same configs, downloading the same torrents, at (almost) the same time...
Old 2003-11-16, 04:11   Link #24
Ximmer
Zombie

Well the only gripe I have with doing some sort of a queuing system for the torrents themselves is that I need to devise a way of stopping the downloading of a torrent.

The best way I can think of is to cease all actions on a torrent after the torrent is complete and the torrent has at minimum uploaded 200% of the file back to the world. But this is hardly practicle with the average home users connection as it would take days to give so much back thus stalling the queue.

Also if you were the last client to download a file it would get stuck because there would be nothing to upload to anyone, and so that method of queuing seems to be out.

Another way is to just let the torrents continue to upload after they've finished downloading and start downloading another torrent while that one continues to upload.

but again this causes a problem since the rate of download can often times be increased by sharing more data with a client, thus in a small way choking ones self off by providing too much data.

the only other alternative is to just quit after you download (Or within a reasonable set of criteria related with that) which is just not fair to the rest of the downloading population. Especially if the file is becomming rare.

Another interesting thing I've noted in alot of the clients is that they unchoke a client but send no data to the client... this strategy slightly confuses me as my client will Time out after 2 minutes of not recieving 16KB of data which can easily be sent at a minimum speed of .2KBps, And after my client times out it will ignore that client unless that client manages to complete a 16KB block and does so before another client manages to fill that 16KB piece in.

As for the torrent directory.. I have in the next version coded it so that it will copy any open torrents into a directory of your choosing but I'm unsure if you, the general people, wish for torment to load all the torrents in this folder when it's first run, and also I'm not sure if you want torment to delete them after the file has finished downloading. Any thoughts on that?

I'm also going to work on getting Super Seed in as I've had a few requests for that. But I'm going to put a nice happy warning on that so people don't mistakenly use it and poison the bittorrent network.

Pausing a download doesn't seem like such a bad Idea either... I'll definantly look into that one (I could have used that feature myself a few times)

and the Max upload thing works.. but it's only per torrent meaning if you set it to 8KBps and load 2 torrents it will use 16KBps.. I'm trying to remedy that problem as well.

The Choking algorithm in Torment seems to need a pinch of work to grab clients a little more efficiently as well. next version should hopefully see some good improvements.

Until next version.
Old 2003-11-16, 09:00   Link #25
Killerattacks

Quote:
As for the torrent directory.. I have in the next version coded it so that it will copy any open torrents into a directory of your choosing but I'm unsure if you, the general people, wish for torment to load all the torrents in this folder when it's first run, and also I'm not sure if you want torment to delete them after the file has finished downloading. Any thoughts on that?
Just as a suggestion, this is how it works for BT++:
The user specifies 2 certain folders. Let's call the first one temp and the second one history. Now the user just saves a torrent in the temp folder and the BT client automatically starts downloading it (even without double clicking the torrent) or the user clicks on a torrent link and the BT client moves this torrent to the temp folder.
If a torrent download is finished the client moves the .torrent file from the temp to the history folder.
This method has many advantages. You can for example reboot your system without a problem and just start the client and it just checks the torrents in the temp folder and resumes the downloads. And the history folder is a nice thing too. It would be no problem to add a feature to the client which lets you check which files you already downloaded. Or if a friend needs a certain torrent but you forgot where you did get it, just search it in the history folder

But there can be other good ways too Youre the author
Old 2003-11-19, 22:45   Link #26
Ximmer
Zombie

1.0.833 is up and implements the Autoload folder option. also I'm trying a newchoking algorithm that's supposed to be more efficient at acquiring good downloaders.
Old 2003-11-21, 16:30   Link #27
Killerattacks

As soon as I put torrent files into the torrent folder or start Torment with an activated torrent folder it crashes...
Old 2003-11-22, 07:50   Link #28
Ximmer
Zombie

huh... that's most confusing. you wouldn't happen to have the address where it crashed would you?
Old 2003-11-24, 02:32   Link #29
Ximmer
Zombie

The torrent wouldn't have happened to be Greater than 4GB in size would it? cause I've recently noticed that torment can't handle torrents where the data length is greater than 4GB.

I've fixed it in my current version and have just finished testing it. I'll be uploading the new version soon.
Old 2003-11-24, 21:05   Link #30
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Where is the source code?
Old 2003-11-25, 08:45   Link #31
Ximmer
Zombie

I haven't made it available for public consumption. Is there something you might be concerned about with it or do you just want to know how a part of it works?

And my dang server just died yesterday too... blah... I'll work on getting that up.
Old 2003-11-25, 09:10   Link #32
Shii
*Fansubber

Well, without the source code, there's really no point... if your server dies or you give up, that's the end of the project.
Old 2003-11-25, 10:24   Link #33
Ximmer
Zombie

you do make a good point there. But I think that if I ever give up on it then I'd put the source up on sourceforge and let people have at it. For the most part I think it's a bit safer to keep it closed because then people can't attempt to cheat with Torment.

I don't know about most people but I find Python a very hard language to read. The only part of the bittorrent source I ever understood was the bdecoding stuff.

I don't know how many others are profficient with python, but I'm pretty sure that alot more people know enough c++ to find the single number that restricts certain aspects of the Torment implementation of the protocol.

The bare minimum number of uploads is 4 and the Socket class will always allow a minimum of 1KBps to a peer regardless of the main settings.

And still if theres anything anyone wants to know about the implementation or how something in the bittorrent protocol works I'd be more than happy to share with them... I'd even be willing to show code if someone wants to know how something works. I'm all for giving back to the community.

It's just that I feel that the time I put into the 8000 lines of code merits that it stays private to me for a while more to come.
Old 2003-11-25, 17:05   Link #34
Shii
*Fansubber

What, are you going to sell your BitTorrent client or something? Is there a target market for a language port of an open-source program?

I think the additions that could be made to an open-source C++ client by... er... anyone caring to contibute... would be a great boon to people using BT.
Old 2003-11-26, 07:06   Link #35
Ximmer
Zombie

Nope, not going to ever sell it. And the code is quite sollidly based in strict Win32 so theres nothing it could be ported to without basically rewriting the entire program. I just made this program for myself and thought that others might like to use it.

And I'm not quite sure if I've matched the feature list of shadows client but I'm thinking the only thing I don't have that his does is the Super Seeder. There may be more tho. Not sure what other features someone might be able to add.
Old 2003-12-19, 10:56   Link #36
tylenol

Trying out Torment Bit Torrent client. Like it so far.
Getting this error msg whenever a download finishes:
The parameter is incorrect.
can only select 'ok' and no other error msg appears. install was no problem. Files play fine and g-spot says correct filesize.

also, have had a torrent where i see black blocks, what do they mean? i can see pink and purple, is this a really dark dark purple?

couple of "hmm, it'd be nice if it did this" ideas:

=able to change display - turn off some columns (like in filemgr- size/location..) dont want to see all info all the time
=resume a dl from a bit torrent 3.3 client without destroying already dl'd blocks (maybe do a temp rename and copy back the blocks, maybe at the crc checking step)
=like to watch the block map (like a lava lamp :-) but looks really small on 1024x768 maybe have option to double the display size
=be nice to have this run at the same time you have another bitt torrent client running, could do comparisons
=also, have a pop-up allowing you to select which bitt client to use - say you have bitt 3.3 and want to try your client, on install your client sets as the default and when you start a torrent your client shows the pop-up and the client choices to use (maybe using the associated file type to find the other client prog when you do the install), this might encourage ppl to try your client knowing they can switch between them
=since you have data on clients you connect to, maybe have an algorythm that favors sending requested blocks to those that have higher uploads, favoring those that are sharing more or even favoring the ip's that are sending the most to you when they are requesting data [i've seen the situation - using netlimiter - where i'm sending to an ip (say 15k) thats not sending me anything, while another ip is sending me 10k and i am only upping 5k to him, i'd rather have more resource go to the ip helping me or giving to others]
=enable the mouse scroll wheel on the block map window
=key combo shortcut to block map window
=on block map window enable arrow keys so up/down switches the current view (say block map) from dl1 to dl2 to dl3... and the right/left arrow keys to toggle between the torrent info/block map/client list views
=show info - client list view - backgroung highlight the largest numbers in the bytes sent/received columns (quick to see where sending/receiving the most)

oh - the file prioritization, random/sequential/rare options are great - maybe a shortcut button for those on the main and sub windows
nice client, thanks for your efforts, hope it keeps getting better

Last edited by tylenol; 2003-12-20 at 02:01.
tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 23:24   Link #37
Ximmer
Zombie

I'm not really sure what was/is causeing the "The Parameter is incorrect" Error... It may have had to do with the Reopening of the files in read only mode after the torrent finishes... I'll have to see if it happenes again in the Current Prerelease version.

the Black block would be a really dark purple. and it means that for example you were connected to 50 clients.. that one 1 or 2 out of those 50 clients have that block. the darker the block the more rare it is.

I've started working on the "Select Columns" feature.. but it may not quite make it into the next release

the next release Might be able to resume Bt 3.3 files... I'm not exactly sure how the files are structured but if they're just the file with the tail end of blocks missing then the Resize code should be able to resume them.

Next Release will have a Double Block size option for ya =) (They look really big to me even on my 1920x1200 laptop)

Haven't had time to do any comparisons yet. Work keeps me busy.

The popup Idea is a good one. Currently Torment uses a Different Opening method than BT for the File based opens. So if your saving the files to disk then opening them you could right click them and hit Download for Torment or Open for what ever other BT Client is installed. But the popup might be a nice feature. I'll look into the File association stuff in the Registry.

The Next release is going to use a much simpler choking algo like the Old BT used where it unchokes the Best <MaxClients - 1> clients and then Unchokes the Next user in the Queue looking for better uploaders. I have yet to add the Finish Algorithm in still.

Mouse wheel scroll works in the block window but theres an issue that if you click in the blockmap window the mousewheel scroll stops working.. I have yet to solve this problem. to get it to accept the mousewheel just hit View->Blockmap again and the scroll will work.

The Status window containing the blockmap is actually separate for each torrent so you can have multiple copys of them open. But I'll see if I can get them to swap around with the arrow keys. the Up and down for the View menu might work tho.

I'm working on a Major sorting setup but it's still disabled... it's alot of data to have to sort through with code. but when that's done you should be able to click on one of the headers and it'll always show you the clients that Are best in the field that your clicked on.

Till next Release
-Jason Zimmer

(The Changelog on my site Shows what I've got working and tested for the next release)
Old 2003-12-29, 12:40   Link #38
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

I used to use ABC and I switched to Torment because ABC would take hundreds of MB of memory. It won't show up in the process list but I am positive it's ABC. My available memory goes right back up when I close it.

I thought Torment would be better as it's not Python. I tried it at first and it took almost no memory. So I left about 10 torrents on overnight. I come back and it's also eaten all of my memory, not showing in the process list memory amount though. I close it and my memory comes back.

What gives? Can't I find a client that's not going to eat hundreds of MB of memory after a few hours? I don't know if it's some sort of caching or a memory leak or anything, but it acts just like ABC.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 13:14   Link #39
Ximmer
Zombie

There are 4 possible reasons I can think of why it may be chewing up memory off the top of my head, And I list them by what I think is more probable.

First: Your sharing alot of very popular files and are getting overloaded with connections and do not have the Connection Limit turned on. Each Client consumes on average 4KB of data that it retains for the life of it's connection. This varies based on the file... also every client connection that is sending Data will cache up to 16KB of data to be sent out to that client on top of all the notifications that are send back and forth. if you have a high number of allowed uploads this could be another source of memory consumption.

Second: Windows is Storing large parts of the files in memory as Torment keeps the files open and randomly writes and reads from the files almost constantly. This has to take quite a toll on the filesystem and I wouldn't be suprised if large parts of the files are kept in Ram or the Virtual Memory pages for faster access.

Third: Memory fragmentation may cause alot of small sections of memory to become unusable. If you have sufficient amounts of memory this should not really be an issue tho. For Windows 2k/XP I recommend a Bare Minimum of 256MB of Ram. I myself would not use less than 512MB

Forth: Memory Leaks. Visual studio has not reported any leaks throughout my debugging sessions tho and I'm quite confident in my skills as a programmer. But it is possible that I may have messed up somewhere.

also I don't really trust the memory reports in TaskManager much, as when you minimize torment it goes from something like 10MB to 1MB and then slowly climbs back up after reopeneing torment.
Old 2003-12-29, 13:41   Link #40
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

1 and 3 shouldn't be a problem since I have 512MB of memory....As for number 2, would there be some way to remedy that if it is the case? I've never encountered problems with non-BT multi-threaded downloaders (other P2P clients, DLExpert [HTTP/FTP], etc). I run XP Pro, by the way....
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote