AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-29, 13:48   Link #41
Ximmer
Zombie

Send a message via MSN to Ximmer
I can add a Flag called FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING when torment opens the files, but this has the potential to make your system perform poorly due to the fact that it would have to Write data directly to disk whenever it needs to make a Disk write. I'm not sure how that flag affects the reads either. MSDN doesn't say anything about read caching when I open the file. I'll continue looking.
Old 2003-12-29, 21:11   Link #42
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

If there isn't a flag that suits this, would it be possible to have an option to use that flag and then you could use your own buffer and write the data block-by-block (as opposed to byte-by-byte)? Or maybe that's how you were thinking anyway. I think it would be better to put an option for it.

Last edited by RaistlinMajere; 2003-12-29 at 21:32.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 21:33   Link #43
Ximmer
Zombie

I just tried the FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFER and it breaks torment. the reads and writes have to be done in a different way because the OS won't read all of the data in one shot when it's not buffered. But I modified the Socket code to try and hold down on Memory Fragmentation. If you like you can give it a try by getting the new exe.
Torment.exe

Give that a try and see if it helps any?

I forgot to mention that this is just the exe... you should just copy this exe over one of the old ones to try it.

Last edited by Ximmer; 2003-12-29 at 22:20.
Ximmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 21:52   Link #44
I-Hate-Animes
Inactive Member

this version is not the right one for me, i have to test another
I-Hate-Animes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 20:10   Link #45
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Another problem that's going to prevent me from using this. My downloads stay yellow or red. I'm behind a router, forwarding ports 6881 to 6895. I have Torment set to 6881 but it won't go green or otherwise download at a decent speed.
Old 2003-12-30, 23:04   Link #46
Ximmer
Zombie

Just a shot in the dark but perhaps something is already occupying port 6881 and torment cannot open it to listen for incomming connections? I have had some torrents that I never got connections from before, but I don't know why. I send the port number when I get the tracker information correctly. Sorry Torment isn't working well on your computer =(
Old 2003-12-30, 23:53   Link #47
artexx
Inactive Member

wow, nice clone ximm:

I think you should spice up the gui, maybe make it a little more like emule or kazaa ++;

since I don't really know what I'm talking about I'm just going to say stuff, and let the masters think it through-

-would it be possible to display a files progress, like overnet does with .part files, instead of just displaying its percentage?

-would it be possible to integrate an IP blocker, and also have torment auto update from peerguardian's blocklist?

-anyway you could personalize a swarm, similar to the way you get to see usernames etc on a conventional p2p network. An IP address would be fine, just so you could meet other BT/Torment users.
artexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 00:42   Link #48
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Well, I had ABC closed and when I [opened and] switched back to ABC, they all went green immediately and I was getting over 4x the speed.
Old 2003-12-31, 08:57   Link #49
Ximmer
Zombie

I believe I've found the problem with accepting incomming connections

With windows sockets theres a connection backlog. and what was happening was that the backlog was filling up with bogus connections (CLOSE_WAIT in NetStat) so Torment could not recieve any further connections. I'm working on figuring out exactly whats causing this, but so far it seems to just have been a simple call to shutdown.

Download this and see if it helps.

Torment.exe 1.0.994 exe only
Old 2003-12-31, 16:21   Link #50
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Well, the incoming connections problem appears to be fixed. I don't know about memory usage yet, I just started downloading. I'll edit this later or add a new post (if you've already responded), but I'm not too hopeful. I found another problem that seems to just have appeared (I didn't notice it in the 966 version at all)...Sometimes the GUI likes to freeze up for a little bit. I click on it and it doesn't pop up at all. I minimize everything else and I see it unpainted (just a grey box). It comes back, I don't have to kill it or anything. It does this very very often. It's done it at least 3 times in the past 5 or so minutes.

Edit: Less than an hour later, I've got hardly any free phys. RAM.

Last edited by RaistlinMajere; 2003-12-31 at 16:52.
Old 2003-12-31, 22:12   Link #51
Ximmer
Zombie

yeah.. the gui does pause for a bit.. that happens when all of the pending connections that arent going to connect suddenly fail at the same time... Torment spends alot of time recalculating the Rarity of blocks when that happens... it needs to be optimized/rethought out.
Old 2004-01-25, 18:13   Link #52
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Hey Ximmer, I would like to thank you for writing this client. Because it is so well-written, it supports TorrentAid files, so it has been extremely useful in allowing people who hate Shareaza to download TorrentAid torrents. In fact, I myself have been using it to seed when Shareaza takes up too much CPU (this is being fixed for final).
Old 2004-01-28, 02:45   Link #53
Fntc

Unfortunately I can't ever use this because it's Win32 only. =( The nicest feature of bittorrent was that it was written in python and would run on anything that had python (though the GUI version required WX) so I can run bt on any of the 5 different OS's that I use.

Anyway good luck with your work. It's always a good learning experience.

I'm just afraid someone's going to write a Win32-only client that will become really popular and then they will try to fork/break the protocol into some Windoze-only thing. =(
Fntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 06:03   Link #54
GIJOE98

Send a message via ICQ to GIJOE98
I Just had to say i'm impressed. i've been waiting for a C++ client for a long time and almost decided to write my own... but i know little C++ and the only language i could have written it in is VB.. but didn't want to... heh anyway keep up the good work. suggestions? hmm.... Pause, Stop Downloads, etc... pause i guess would hold the resources in mem so it'd be quicker to start and stop releases everything. another plus would be like what mentioned earlier, Some way to limit the number of downloads so not all of them start at once. Look at ABC's Global upload options for some ideas if you haven't already where seeding ends after a timer or percent or doesn't. and if limiting the downloads works then some way to re-order them :P hahaha sounds fun doesn't it.

Other then that it does appear to download slower then other clients and upload never hits the max i set it to. but it may just be me.

but still i'm impressed and glad someone finally decided to write a client in something other then python or java...

only thing else that peaks my interest would be your code :P hahaha... i'm curious about the protocol. i've read the docs a few times and have a general idea but i think it'd be easier for me to understand if it was written in a language i can understand... python just doesn't "click" with me :/ but it's not important i have other things i have to finish coding first before i can start a new project.

JOE

Last edited by GIJOE98; 2004-01-28 at 07:19.
GIJOE98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 08:01   Link #55
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fntc
Unfortunately I can't ever use this because it's Win32 only. =(
Well, all you need to do is ask for the sourcecode, then modify it to make it Wx. C++ is cross-platform basically, and Wx handles GUI across all platforms.
Old 2004-01-28, 08:54   Link #56
Fntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Well, all you need to do is ask for the sourcecode, then modify it to make it Wx. C++ is cross-platform basically, and Wx handles GUI across all platforms.
Well yes, or could make it gtk (plenty of ports for that) or any number of gui toolkits... ...but he might be using more win32 stuff than just the GUI. How much of the rest of it is C++ standard libraries? Is any of it standard POSIX calls? How many m$isms are in the C++ code as well that are specific to VC++? There's a lot of questions there. ^^;
Fntc is offline   Reply With Quote