AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Old 2004-04-15, 15:16   Link #21
PinkSpider
先輩

Send a message via ICQ to PinkSpider Send a message via MSN to PinkSpider
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaNick
doesnt make any sense, tsunami is a big tidal wave right? but it could have something to do with her giant ( overwhelming? ) strength, but that is just a guess

btw this has been done before i think, anyways www.narutoguide.com or something explains a lot
Dunno why but the page link not working! >_<
PinkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 15:18   Link #22
UchihaNick
Peacemaker

i thought it was something like that, but if i remember it good there is a link from....
UchihaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 15:22   Link #23
Palani
///_^

Narutoguide is off line. And it is forbidden to link Narutofan since it has the licensed manga on it. Remove it before sb else des. With sb else implying an angry mod.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 15:42   Link #24
kakashilion
has big feet

i know most of these have already been resolved but i just asked an official japanese person. so here we go...

Q: Does itachi mean weasel in Japanese?
A:Yes,it does

Q: Does tsunade mean something
A:directry meaning is 'fishing net'

but it is a random word in this case

Q: Does Sakura mean some kind of flower
A:it is a CHERRY BLOSSOM

Q: Does ORochimaru mean anything
A:'OROCHI' is the old Japanese word. meaning is 'monstrous snake'.

'~MARU' is old japanese man's name
forexample 'RIKI MARU' 'NAO MARU' 'SEMI MARU'

*Japanese myth

>>Fox deamon(kyubi)

it is the Fox monster which has 9 tails and gold hair.

Name is 'KYUBI NO KITSUNE'

there are some myth about KYUBI NO KITUNE in japan.

'they are holly animals but some of them are evil '

so, sometimes KYUBI NO KITSUNE appeare the villan in manga and anime.

here is an image from the myth

looks a bit like a ninetales
kakashilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 03:47   Link #25
Yondaime
4th Hokage 四代目火影

Anyone know the official names/correct spellings of the
Spoiler:
, Kiba's mom and her dog, kiba's sister, Shino's dad, and the
Spoiler:
? thanks!

- Yondaime

- Umineko no naku koro ni

Last edited by Yondaime; 2004-04-19 at 04:05.
Yondaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 04:50   Link #26
Palani
///_^

I've got a question, Why is the leader opf each country called Kaga. It means shadow, what is that good for. For that matter. What use is it to be Called Hokage, What is the meaning of Fire Shadow.

@Yondaime: The name of the dog is Kuromaru (well sth. like that at least) The rest hasn't been told as far as I know.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 05:42   Link #27
hob
Random Stupid Poster.

Send a message via AIM to hob Send a message via MSN to hob Send a message via Yahoo to hob
Well, i thought about that too. Maybe because he's the shadow of the village.
He belongs to everything and to everyone, they're part of him. They're are bound together, behind every ninja there's the kage, know what i mean? That's my thinking.
hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 08:23   Link #28
PinkSpider
先輩

Yay! We only manage to know that the dog is called Kuroumaru (My avatar)

I tried to find out what kurou means. And its means Hardship, suffering, caring, trouble, pain and toil. (from my electronic dictionary)
So I guess it explains why has one eye and one ear. It means he has been through a lot of hardship and has emerged as one big tough dog! yay!
Old 2004-04-19, 08:45   Link #29
ImWeaseL
S-Class Missing Nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSpider
Yay! We only manage to know that the dog is called Kuroumaru (My avatar)

I tried to find out what kurou means. And its means Hardship, suffering, caring, trouble, pain and toil. (from my electronic dictionary)
So I guess it explains why has one eye and one ear. It means he has been through a lot of hardship and has emerged as one big tough dog! yay!

Actually its 'Kuromaru'. 'Kuro' means black refering to the dog's fur color. Its the same with Kiba's dog 'Akamaru', with 'Aka' refering to its red fur color when it eats a soldier pill...
ImWeaseL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 11:35   Link #30
PinkSpider
先輩

How do you make out whether its Kuro or Kurou? Bakansan's fansub says its Kuro but someone corrected me and said its Kurou. Who shall I believe? (and anyway I personally cannot hear it perfectly)

Also, If its Kuro, it should be black but the dog is not black, it is at least a dark colour or a dark grey coat. 灰色か濃い灰色の犬かもしれないよ・・・

でも、今は犬の名前は混乱したから、知らない!手伝ってください!

even though the dog can be related to Akamaru, we are still not completely sure about this.
Old 2004-04-19, 11:51   Link #31
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan Master

Send a message via AIM to Hyuuga Neji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akamaru
Kiba doesn't mean horse, it means fang.
Kiba has three meanings

kiba - horse-riding
kiba - lumberyard
kiba - tusk, fang

Neji means spiral or screw
Chouji - clove
Yoroi - armor (Yoroi was the chakra leach from the preliminarys)
Inari - flavored boiled rice
Ibiki - snoring
Kabuto- armor, helmet

Last edited by Hyuuga Neji; 2004-04-19 at 12:11.
Hyuuga Neji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 11:56   Link #32
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

I'd go for the lumberyard, horses are so yesterday and fangs are just sooo not Kiba, like, seriously...
Old 2004-04-19, 12:11   Link #33
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan Master

Send a message via AIM to Hyuuga Neji
lol true true haha
Hyuuga Neji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 09:21   Link #34
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Lightbulb Naruto Character Names Origins and Meanings

Jiraiya-His name came from old Japanese story、児雷也豪傑物語 (Jiraiya Goketsu Monogatari). This story was published over 30 years! The origin of this Jiraiya was actually named 我来也 (Garaiya, meaning I came) in an old stroy in China called 諧史 (Kaishi). Once it came to Japan and took a long time to became 自来也. Even name, Jirayia has a few different ways to write in Kanji. The Kanji in above English site refers to is 児雷也.

This stroy is now played in 歌舞伎 (Kabuki). The way Jiraiya looks in Naruto sereis is similar to what he looks like in the Kabuki play. They way he talks is also from Kabuki.

Tsunade-In the Jiraiya story, Tsunade is his wife, who also uses the snail magic.

Orochimaru-His name in Kanji 大蛇 literally says Big Snake. Maru part is to make it sound more like a name (I talked about Maru when posted about Shikamaru). This kanji also be pronounced as Daija. Daija is more often used when saying a big snake in real life. So, itís natural for him to summon snakes... no brainer.

First time I heard his name, I thought about 八岐大蛇(Yamata-no-Orochi). Yamata-no-Orochi is a big snake (or rather a dragon) with eight heads. The Yamata in Kanji means eight branches. This snake appears in 日本神話 (Nihon Shinwa, Japanese mythology), which contains several stories about the creation of Japan, and about Gods who created and lived in Japan. The most famous God in Nihon Shinwa is 天照大神 (Amaterasu-Oomikami, the Sun Goddess).

Anyway, the story about Yamata-no-Orochi in short is about 素戔嗚尊 (Susanoono-Mikoto) who was a little brother of Amaterasu. He was such a bad boy and did lots of bad things in 高天原 (Takamagahara, like Gods' place, heaven). So he was heavily punished and banished there. On the way from there, he met old couple and their daughter, 奇稲田姫 (Kushiinada-Hime), who were crying because their eight daughters have been taken by the evil snake one by one every year, and finally this year their last daughter will be taken. Susano-ono-mikoto made a promise to kill the snake for them, in return to get their daughter as his wife. He made the old couple prepare 酒 (Sake) and made the Yamata-no-orochi drank. After it got drunk, he fought with it and finally killed it. While he was cutting its tail, he found a sword inside. It is called a 草薙の剣 (Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi). This sword was presented to his sister, Amaterasu-Oomikami, and has been one of 三種の神器 (Sanshu-no-Jingi). They are like a gift/protector from Amaterasu-Oomikami, and now Imperial family owns them. By the way, the original name of this sord was different, but now is known as Kuasangino-Tsurugi after 倭建命 (Yamato-Takeru-no-mikoto) used it.

I lifted the above from "http://llamakillers.sunset.net/paradise/others.php

Last edited by Inuzuka; 2004-10-07 at 05:19. Reason: The Title wasnt drawing much attention^^;
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 11:19   Link #35
Kouji
StrykerX

Here's some from Naruto Info that I got

Japanese :: English

Anko:Sweet Bean Paste
Choji:The 'Cho' card is a butterfly [ From card game simmilar to Poker ]
Gaara: "Death", but with his forehead tattoo it means "I love Death"
Gekkou: Moonlight
GamaBunta: Toad Boss
Haruno: Spring (of)
Hatake: Field
Hinata:Sunny Place
Hokage:Fire Shadow
Hyuga:Sun
Iruka: Dolphin
Kabuto: Helmet
Kakashi: Scarecrow
Kazekage: Wind Shadow
Korasu: Kills
Kurenai: Crimson Red
Makimono: (Ninja) Scroll
Mitarashi: Type of Japanese Candy
Morino Ibiki: "Snore of the Forest"
Orochimaru: Japanese Mythical Character
Sakura : Cherry Blossom
Sarutobi: Family name of one of the legendary Sanada 10 Hero Shinobis
Sasuke : Maiden name of one of the legendary Sanada 10 Hero Shinobis
Tsunami: Harbour Wave
Tsurugu: Sword
Uchiha: Fan
Umino: Sea/Ocean (of)
Uzumaki: Spirals
Yoroi: Body Armor
Yuuhi: Setting Sun
Old 2004-05-15, 18:09   Link #36
kakashilion
has big feet

yeah but did you know that a naruto is the pink swirly fish sausage on ramen.
kakashilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 20:12   Link #37
Kouji
StrykerX

No I didn't. Also there was a Naruto bridge in Japan also the Naruto waterfalls.

Here's what I got on Naruto's buddy; Sasuke and team 10's Nara Shikamaru

Uchiha Sasuke
In japanese, wa and ha are written the same. The word Uchiwa is a fan, exactly like the one Sasuke has on the back of his clothing.
The word uchiwa also indicates a 'private family matter', which has a very obvious meaning. Sarutobi Sasuke was a famous and legendary ninja from the Sengoku period.

He learned very advanced forms of the art known as ninjutsu from Tozawa Hakuunsai of the famous Koga dojo.

It is said that the legendary Sasuke died in a battle in the summer of 1615 near Osaka, while serving in battalion of Sanada Juyushi, or 'Ten heroes of Sanada', named after their leader, Sanada Yukimura.

Sarutobi Sasuke was mentioned in the Kumogakure Ryu densho, in which he was seen as an almost magical ninja who hooked himself from one tree to another, swinging from one point to another.

The ninja of Kumogakure Ryu are known for their interest in the psychological side of close combat, copying their enemies as a form of perfect defense, to avoid true violence in the end.

When they did go to battle, however, they were known for their armoured sleeves on their lower arms to protect them, and their uncanny knowledge of fire, and the obvious will to ignite it, just like Uchiha Sasuke has shown us all his favoured fire jutsus.

Nara Shikamaru
Nara has a variety of meanings. First, ofcourse, the Nara period in Ancient Japan. The time periods in Japan are named after the place the capital was located at that time, and in 710 the capital was moved north of Nara.
it only lasted for about eight years as the country's capital, though. The way of life during these days was moderate, and people leaned on agriculture while society was based on small villages of farmers and their families.

This was also the age that Buddhism really started to flourish in Japan, though it had already been around since the early 500's... The Nara emperors is especially reverenced in a Buddhist teaching known as the Sutra Of Golden Light, with Buddha not only depicted as a human being there, but also as the Final Truth of life.
This way of life created a form of material wisdom... Basic wisdom and realism was valued more than anything in a person. The country was also very influenced by the Chinese culture during those days, when silk and other Chinese garments, herbs and all other sorts of things found their way to Japan.
Confucius, the known philosopher and wise man, also had an impact on Japan in those days, and the first signs of a 'Confucian' lifestyle started to show...

These days, Nara is a nice place in Japan which has a few famous attractions. Ofcourse, the many temples where thousands of people go to play games like go and other forms of chess- and checkers-like games are known to all who ever saw images of Japan...

But what many do not know of are the famous deers of Nara. The Japanese word for deer, by the way, is Shika. These deers have learnt to 'ask' for food from every human they see.

They make a bow before you, and await their prize. It's oftenly not completely safe to just go walk around alone, because it has happened a couple of times a deer got angry when not given a treat, and pushed down the person he asked it for.
Old 2004-05-15, 20:52   Link #38
Coder8
CommanderBunBun

Did you know a shuriken is a throwing star?
________
PLYMOUTH CONCORD

Last edited by Coder8; 2011-05-14 at 04:06.
Coder8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 21:10   Link #39
Kouji
StrykerX

Well duh, it's a traditional japanese weapon.

Yamanaka Ino
Yama means a mountain or steep terrain.
Naka can mean two things; first, it can mean 'on the inside'/'in between'. Second, it can be used as a word for 'relationship'. This could be seen in two ways...

First, as a being between mountains, seeing everything around her bigger as herself. Second, it could mean she has rocky/difficult relationships, which would point to Sasuke and Sakura.

Her first name, Ino, means boar, or pig. (now you know why Sakura calls her 'Ino-pig') There are two types of boars in Japanese kanji.

One for the animal, and one for the zodiac sign. Hers is obviously meant as the zodiac sign, since she wore the kanji of that on her clothing while watching the finals of the Chuunin exam.

Akimichi Chouji
Aki means autumn/fall. Michi has two meanings: it can stand for the unknown, or stand for a way/method/path of action/life.

Chou is a butterfly, while ji is a normal way to finish one's name, and oftenly reflects love and friendship.

If we put his name together, Akimichi Chouji is somebody who becomes a butterfly out of love for a friend, thus making the choice to end the 'fall' season...

We've seen Chouji eat a lot, which resembles his caterpillar state even more before finally reaching his point to become a butterfly... What this exactly reflects will be seen in the manga very soon, probably...

Inuzuka Kiba & Akamaru
Inuzuka is a well-known Japanese family, and there is a myth about their clan as well.

During the Edo period, the Inuzuka clan was one of the most powerful clans in the Chiba prefecture. They were proud warriors who focused most of their power by aiming their belief towards Inu, the zodiac sign of the dog, and a powerful deity in that time.

There is a legend, which has been put into some anime series as well, about the Inuzuka, seeing them as 'dog warriors'. The story evolves around a demon dog and a pact that was made with it, resulting in many children from which the Inuzuka clan was born.

The real Inuzuka knew better than this myth, but had their own story as well. Chosen by the celestial powers, they proclaimed their clan as 'dog warriors'. When encountering them in battle, one would not have to be surprised to find a long-haired grizzled warrior in red and black armor covered with fur, with red tribals on his face, killing off enemies with his bare hands if needed.

They were known for worshipping dogs and living in harmony with them, though the dog wasn't normally a very favoured pet in those days.

The Inuzuka legend explains a lot about Kiba's looks, and why he has those red stripes on his face, as why he wears such a furry coat like he does. His first name, Kiba, obviously means two things.

The most logical name is a fang/tusk. The other explanation of Kiba, though, is a lumberyard. The known dog-warriors were known for their woodstacks and wooden temples, and were fine woodsmen and lumberjacks themselves.

This, undoubtedly, is related to Kiba's name as well.
Akamaru's name is both logical and a word-joke. First, Aka means 'subfamily', showing that Akamaru is like Kiba's little brother. Maru is a logical way to end a name for a boy, and ties to the word in front of it to make up 'purity'. Akamaru, as such, means a pure familymember. On the other hand, it's also only one kanji switched from Akaramu, which means 'to grow red', like seen when somebody is angered.

Last edited by Kouji; 2004-05-15 at 22:30.
Kouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 22:31   Link #40
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji

During the Edo period, the Inuzuka clan was one of the most powerful clans in the Chiba prefecture. They were proud warriors who focused most of their power by aiming their belief towards Inu, the zodiac sign of the dog, and a powerful deity in that time.

There is a legend, which has been put into some anime series as well, about the Inuzuka, seeing them as 'dog warriors'. The story evolves around a demon dog and a pact that was made with it, resulting in many children from which the Inuzuka clan was born.

The real Inuzuka knew better than this myth, but had their own story as well. Chosen by the celestial powers, they proclaimed their clan as 'dog warriors'. When encountering them in battle, one would not have to be surprised to find a long-haired grizzled warrior in red and black armor covered with fur, with red tribals on his face, killing off enemies with his bare hands if needed.

They were known for worshipping dogs and living in harmony with them, though the dog wasn't normally a very favoured pet in those days.

The Inuzuka legend explains a lot about Kiba's looks, and why he has those red stripes on his face, as why he wears such a furry coat like he does. His first name, Kiba, obviously means two things.

The most logical name is a fang/tusk. The other explanation of Kiba, though, is a lumberyard. The known dog-warriors were known for their woodstacks and wooden temples, and were fine woodsmen and lumberjacks themselves.

This, undoubtedly, is related to Kiba's name as well.
Akamaru's name is both logical and a word-joke. First, Aka means 'subfamily', showing that Akamaru is like Kiba's little brother. Maru is a logical way to end a name for a boy, and ties to the word in front of it to make up 'purity'. Akamaru, as such, means a pure familymember. On the other hand, it's also only one kanji switched from Akaramu, which means 'to grow red', like seen when somebody is angered.
Well,finally a Kiba appreciater.^^
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote