AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-15, 13:24   Link #1
Ruki
teh crazy bunny.

How do you write Japanese in SSA?

I tried copying and pasting the kanji/hiragana onto Substation alpha but it shows up as weird characters, I've also tried pasting the kanji/hiragana onto the .SSA file in notepad, but that also ends up as weird characters.

Help please?
Ruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 13:33   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
If SSA does not support unicode, you will either need:

AppLocale (if you are on XP)

or you will need to set the language for non-unicode programs to Japanese. This can be found in the regional control panel. Setting this requires a reboot, and your backslashes will turn into yen symbols. The interface will not change to Japanese though. This ONLY works on windows 2000 and windows XP. People using 9X/ME or NT4 will have to use 3rd party software that may or may not work.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 14:10   Link #3
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

As you are editing your font in styles, you will notice that below the font name, size and junk, you'll see an option called "script". That setting will be auto-set to Western. Choose a Japanese font like Arial Unicode, MS Mincho, or MSGothic and change the "script" to Japanese.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 14:13   Link #4
jpwong

One way to do this is to open SSA, hit the style overrides, find a font with japanese support (MS Gothic has it), click "Script" and go from 'Western' to 'Japanese'. This produces a leading code {\fnMS Gothic\fe128}

Paste your garbage text (for example) デジモンテイマ?[ズ and it will show up as the japanese text.
jpwong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 15:18   Link #5
Soulfang
ハロー!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong
One way to do this is to open SSA, hit the style overrides, find a font with japanese support (MS Gothic has it), click "Script" and go from 'Western' to 'Japanese'. This produces a leading code {\fnMS Gothic\fe128}

Paste your garbage text (for example) デジモンテイマ?[ズ and it will show up as the japanese text.
Digimon Tamers? Hmm...
Old 2004-05-16, 00:54   Link #6
Ruki
teh crazy bunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong

I'm trying to do that right now, but I can't seem to figure out where the "script" is to change 'Western' into 'Japanese.' =/
Ruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 02:14   Link #7
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruki
I'm trying to do that right now, but I can't seem to figure out where the "script" is to change 'Western' into 'Japanese.' =/
I thought I made it pretty clear in my post. There are advantages to changing the font encoding in styles than overriding it because if you plan on overriding it, you'll have to override all the lines that need script changing. Changing a style is much simpler.

Old 2004-05-16, 03:13   Link #8
jpwong

I find that in most cases, just overriding the lines you need since you can mass select with Shift+Click, since in most cases, you're only putting the text in for intros/outros, although your way would probably be better if you were creating a whole file in japanese.
jpwong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 03:31   Link #9
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Well, in most cases today, people plan to do effects and crap... especially with kanji karaoke...Overriding will delete your precious typesetting. Though you could just type {\fe128} in front of each line...but again, that would be more time consuming than just setting a style. Why not just set a style instead of overriding each line with their own special font, color, size and encoding? You could then save your styles for other projects instead of re-setting them for your next episodes.