AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-15, 14:31   Link #1
Racheal
Super Robot War Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Singapore
Standard settings for BT

Do you use the default configurations or do you tweak the settings?
__________________
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-15, 17:58   Link #2
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheal
Do you use the default configurations or do you tweak the settings?
While using Azureus, which is what I am assuming you are using from other post somewhere, it is important to set your upload speed (RED Arrow Below) to at least 1-3 kB/s lower than your upload cap. This way you upload pathway won't become clogged by to many packets resulting in an overall higher upload speed. Not only that, you will be able to surf the internet, instant message, and send e-mail while using Bittorrent. If the absolute max you could upload was 25kB/s, then you would want to set your "Global max upload" to about 22kB/s.

To make sure all of your upload speed is utalized, set the defualt max uploads per torrent is set to a number greater than 10 (Blue Arrow Below). Some download clients will not be able to accept your full upload speed, and if the max uploads is set to low, some upload bandwidth could go to waste.

Be sure to click "Save" at the bottom of the window when you are done making changes.



This allows for the greatest upload speed, which in turn usually affords you better download slots from other peers. There is a step by step general tutorial here if you need more information.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 15:07   Link #3
ventriloquist
人形使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
To make sure all of your upload speed is utalized, set the defualt max uploads per torrent is set to a number greater than 10 (Blue Arrow Below). Some download clients will not be able to accept your full upload speed, and if the max uploads is set to low, some upload bandwidth could go to waste.
so if my connection is 512/126.... i should put global max upload at 13 or 12kb/s.... what i don't understand is to set max upload per torrent ... greater than 10?... u mean i should put more than 10 (example : 15 )? right now at screen u put 3 right?
ventriloquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 15:47   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventriloquist
so if my connection is 512/126.... i should put global max upload at 13 or 12kb/s.... what i don't understand is to set max upload per torrent ... greater than 10?... u mean i should put more than 10 (example : 15 )? right now at screen u put 3 right?
I got 128 upload as well and I have a 12kb/s upload cap and 8 connections per torrent.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 20:27   Link #5
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventriloquist
i should put global max upload at 13 or 12kb/s....
Right, that way you have a 2 or 3 kB/s to surf and keep from having your connection flooded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventriloquist
what i don't understand is to set max upload per torrent ... greater than 10?... u mean i should put more than 10 (example : 15 )?
That is correct, if you are only seeding one torrent, and want to make complete use of your connection (for the good of the BT community), you would want many connection.

Think of it this way: you connect to only 3 leechers, but they all only have dial-up. Suppose they can only support 3 kB/s down each. That means you are only utalizing 9 kB/s of your 13 kB/s possible. If this is confusing, sorry. It was my fault for posting the bad screenshot.





You can also control that attribute individually in each torrent's details. That way you can divert upload bandwidth to torrents that need it. For example, you could put many uploads in small swarm, and fewer uploads in a large swarm.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 00:43   Link #6
ventriloquist
人形使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Thx for that... i will try using azureus after this... i will post again when encounter some problem..
ventriloquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 00:49   Link #7
aliensquare
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Incheon
Age: 27
faster upload set = faster download?

would your download speed be faster if you set the upload speed higher?
and usually this works, but i dunno why.
and my internet/msn/AIM stuff doesnt work alot of times

do you recommend putting 9999 uploads per torrent?
wouldnt it be better if there were more people?

and whats the point of setting a max upload speed if your upload speed always goes up and down? if my upload speed was 10kb to 60kb, would 55kb max be good?
aliensquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 01:18   Link #8
TetrFlare
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to TetrFlare
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensquare
would your download speed be faster if you set the upload speed higher?
and usually this works, but i dunno why.
and my internet/msn/AIM stuff doesnt work alot of times

do you recommend putting 9999 uploads per torrent?
wouldnt it be better if there were more people?

and whats the point of setting a max upload speed if your upload speed always goes up and down? if my upload speed was 10kb to 60kb, would 55kb max be good?
They claim that downlaod speed will be faster when your upload speed is higher but i sort of disagree. I'm on adsl 512/512 d/l u/l and if i were to have my u/l at 50kB/s my download will drop considerably. I have my upload limited to around 30 to 35 kB/s with higher speed when d/l fewer torrents, like 3 torrents. d/l too many torrents at once will reduce the efficiency of download. That's what i noticed...

your internet/msn/AIM doesn't work because you use your full upload bandwidth on your BT Client, therefore preventing data from channeling to your internet/msn/AIM services.

Do not put 9999 uploads per torrent, other people will not obtain a favorable d/l speed if you u/l to too many at once.

I'm on adsl therefore my upload will affect my d/l spd, so a max u/l spd limit will help, else my d/l can drop to around 8-10 kB/s. I do not know about other types of connections thought.
__________________
I am the First and the Last, the Alpha and the Omega... Xenogear/Xenosaga
TetrFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 01:55   Link #9
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensquare
would your download speed be faster if you set the upload speed higher?
and usually this works, but i dunno why.
and my internet/msn/AIM stuff doesnt work alot of times
In theory, the BitTorrent client prefers leechers with higher upload rates, but in practice I havent really seen that to be the case. The only reason I could think of your internet/msn/AIM not working, as TetrFlare mentioned, is because your upload or download pipelines are flooded. Be sure to keep your upload speed capped as explained above. To my knowledge, there is no way to cap download speed with Azureus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensquare
do you recommend putting 9999 uploads per torrent?
wouldnt it be better if there were more people?
More than 50 uploads per torrent is pushing it. Azureus uses many system resources as it is, and you don't want the program crashing. Not only that, but you could push your network connection too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensquare
and whats the point of setting a max upload speed if your upload speed always goes up and down? if my upload speed was 10kb to 60kb, would 55kb max be good?
If your upload speed is capped at 60 kB/s, then your upload speed fluctuates because you don't have enough leechers connected. Changing the max uploads per torrent makes sure you get full use out of the upload bandwidth you pay your ISP for.

But yes, if your cap is 60 kB/s then 55kB/s would be a good setting. This could fix the problem you spoke about before.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 02:55   Link #10
ventriloquist
人形使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
if i want to use azurues... where to download it? does i need to download diferent file that working together with azurues(patch..etc..)?
ventriloquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 06:42   Link #11
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventriloquist
if i want to use azurues... where to download it? does i need to download diferent file that working together with azurues(patch..etc..)?
You can get Azureus here. You will most likely need to download Java as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
More than 50 uploads per torrent is pushing it. Azureus uses many system resources as it is, and you don't want the program crashing. Not only that, but you could push your network connection too far.
I got only 8-10 uploads per torrent, and it works fine because I want to keep my CPU usage at ~5% and my RAM usage at 30MB. Since I got normally 3 simultaneous downloads, that is no problem and my full upload get's utilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
To my knowledge, there is no way to cap download speed with Azureus.
The next version will have an option to cap download speed because I already saw the changelog. You can download the 2.0.8.5 here if you want. (Rename the file to Azureus2.jar and overwrite the existing one)
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 08:46   Link #12
ventriloquist
人形使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Thx for link sin... right now i use azureus and i put max global upload 13kb/s and default max torrent per upload 10... how bout maximum number of connection per connection?... default is 100 right?... i heard some ppl put 80 or 60...

another question... how do u know how many u want to put at default max torrent per upload? right now i put 10 while sin use 8

*edit* right now i dl anime... 1 seed 52 peer ... average dl speed about 30.0kb/s...sound good?
ventriloquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 10:50   Link #13
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventriloquist
Thx for link sin... right now i use azureus and i put max global upload 13kb/s and default max torrent per upload 10... how bout maximum number of connection per connection?... default is 100 right?... i heard some ppl put 80 or 60...
Leave it at 100 because chances are that you won't reach 100 anyway and if you do it does not use that much system resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventriloquist
another question... how do u know how many u want to put at default max torrent per upload? right now i put 10 while sin use 8
You can try it out; stick with 10, then raise/decrease it and look how it affects your upload. If your upload cap is reached with 10 (~12.something) stick with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventriloquist
*edit* right now i dl anime... 1 seed 52 peer ... average dl speed about 30.0kb/s...sound good?
It depends on the age of the torrent. Since there is only 1 seed I assume that it is a young torrent, so it is a nice speed. If you really want to try your maximum speed, try a torrent with lots of seeds/peers and see if you can get ~60kb/s (it was 512kbit/s, no?). If you want to accelerate the torrent, make doubleclick the file in "My torrents" and click "Manual Update" in the General tab. This will connect you to more seeds/peers if possible. Note that you can see how many peers/seeds are connected to you in the brackets () whereas the numbers without the brackets indicate the peers that are connected to you. Hope that helps
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 01:23   Link #14
ventriloquist
人形使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Thx .... this is the first time i use azureus... if someone got more tip plz tell me... right now my dl seem to be unstable coz sometime my download rate 0kb/s and upload keep running... even there is 1 seed left... maybe i will try dl another file later after i finish first download ( el-hazard magnificant world )
ventriloquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 07:15   Link #15
best
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
256k upload

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
I got 128 upload as well and I have a 12kb/s upload cap and 8 connections per torrent.

hi sin, saw ya guidelines in another section of e forum, was jus wonderin if ya could help me wif my settings, i've 256k upload, so wat should b my corresponding setting in relation to azureus. i normally download 3 torrents at one time. pls help, ty so much in advance
best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 17:52   Link #16
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by best

hi sin, saw ya guidelines in another section of e forum, was jus wonderin if ya could help me wif my settings, i've 256k upload, so wat should b my corresponding setting in relation to azureus. i normally download 3 torrents at one time. pls help, ty so much in advance
Although Im not Sin, here you go. These are good settings for 256kbit/s up DSL:

KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 19:16   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
Although Im not Sin, here you go. These are good settings for 256kbit/s up DSL:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:


Yup, these are good settings for 256k, thanks for helping out, KeinikuSuki. You were not online much the last 2-3 weeks, were you?
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 19:35   Link #18
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
[/Spoiler]You were not online much the last 2-3 weeks, were you?
I was house sitting for someone and they have Dial-Up. I cant stand using the internet on Dial-Up anymore.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 21:43   Link #19
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sol System
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
I was house sitting for someone and they have Dial-Up. I cant stand using the internet on Dial-Up anymore.
Totally agree. When I moved I was stuck on 28.8K connection for a month. There was so much line noise that I cannot get a decent speed. I went from a T1 to virtually nothing. Now, I have a 1.5Mbps Cable which helps a lot. If only I can get 3.0Mbps as advertised!
________
Pz Engine

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:20.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.