AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-05-17, 14:14   Link #1
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Media Player Problems

Ok...about a week ago, windows media player suddenly stopped working on the computer. The icon was gone and it was no longer my default player. I checked for viruses and such and there were no problems. So i re-installed player 9 and it worked great on every user profile except mine. It still wouldn't load on mine. Didn't give a error message or anything...it just wouldn't load. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling...and a new problem arose. Before the installation is completed it asks you to configure all these options like what it should be the default player for. Once I click finish a couple of seconds go by and then it tries to start the whole configuration process all over again. It will never completely install on my user screen. So I tried installing player 7, still didn't work. So as it is now, media player 9 works on every user profile screen except mine on my computer. Also since this incident occured, when I try to run norton disk doctor it keeps telling me that a program is writing on the hard drive or whatever...but there's no other programs running besides norton and windows. I'm not sure if the two problems are related, but something is def. up. If someone could help, that would be great! Oh yeah, I run windows 98 sec. edition if that helps.
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 12:19   Link #2
Naru Narusegawa

Dude, you stole my avatar, lol im not sure weather to be dissappointed or honoured =\
Naru Narusegawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 14:14   Link #3
Ending

The regular procedure:

- Check/scan registry for "Mediaplayer 9" and ".WMP"
- Delete media-player entries from registry and clean up the files/folders.
- Reboot and check that the default player works.
- Update just in case.
- Praise Allah if it worked.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 14:47   Link #4
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Just make sure that if you do mess with the registry that you know what your doing and it's always a good idea to back it up incase you make a mistake...

Again...only mess with the registry if you are knowledgeable...or extremely brave/lucky...cause if you mess up...then it won't be a pretty sight

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"®

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 17:54   Link #5
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Just make sure that if you do mess with the registry that you know what your doing and it's always a good idea to back it up incase you make a mistake...

Again...only mess with the registry if you are knowledgeable...or extremely brave/lucky...cause if you mess up...then it won't be a pretty sight

yeah...i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to playing with the registry. can someone give like specific steps or is there another way to fix this prob.?
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 18:08   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

the whole registry is stored in the two files called System.dat and User.dat in Windows 98, so if you back up these files before changing the registry, you have always the possibility to undo any changes by replacing the messed up files with your backups.

Other ways to fix the problem... it could be possible something malicious is started while booting the OS. So you maybe check for some strange entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run or RunServices section. The tool msconfig shows you these entries too.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote