AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Old 2006-01-16, 19:00   Link #221
Pippin4242

Does anybody know where the original Yu-Gi-Oh! is going? I admit I haven't checked dates, but there hasn't been a new episode since I joined last year, and that seems enough time to ask. I'd just so love to see the episodes with Bakura Ryou's TRPG!

*~Pips~*
Pippin4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 04:45   Link #222
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Keroro Gunso
Old 2006-01-17, 04:49   Link #223
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Keroro Gunso and Galaxy Express 999
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 13:44   Link #224
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

i might be able to do something about ge999 ^^

me and my friend are huge ge999 fans and he knows a girl that speaks fluent japanese thats really into anime... anyway he is slowly trying to persuade (note: seduce) her into TL'ing for us...
personally though i dounbt that he can do it but if he succeeds then we'll definetly be doing it

AKA Malakith
Bot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 19:04   Link #225
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
To comment about GE999. The project has been seriously been waylaid by the fact Tofusensei has been very inactive of late. Episode 8 has been translated since last April though we've been kind of stuck because Tofusensei is the one who is in possession of the DVD's.

Unfortunately due to real life issues and his love of CLAMP/Maaya Sakamoto he's not done much apart from speed subbing Tsubasa with DB since last April. We've constrantly bugged him to do something about GE999 but to avail.

However I finally bit the bullet at the back end of December and I'm now in possesion of Galaxy Express 999 Boxes 1 - 3 so we're not restricted by the fact our awol translator is the only one in possesion of a raw source. Control of GE999 has been taken out of Tofusensei's hands and passed to the crew who work on Captain Harlock. While I can't promise releases which are on a weekly basis I can promise that efforts are being made to get the show out.

If you want to help the Harlock crew out in any way shape or form with GE999 be it timing / translating or are an experienced typesetter and what not, please introduce yourself in #live-evil on irc.enterthegame.com so we can finally get this series moving.

Regards

-gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer
(Now the other one apart from Tofusensei who owns GE999 DVD's)
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 22:18   Link #226
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom
To comment about GE999. The project has been seriously been waylaid by the fact Tofusensei has been very inactive of late. Episode 8 has been translated since last April though we've been kind of stuck because Tofusensei is the one who is in possession of the DVD's.

Unfortunately due to real life issues and his love of CLAMP/Maaya Sakamoto he's not done much apart from speed subbing Tsubasa with DB since last April. We've constrantly bugged him to do something about GE999 but to avail.
Did you beat those Dr. Rin scripts out of him yet? =p
Old 2006-01-18, 22:32   Link #227
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
Did you beat those Dr. Rin scripts out of him yet? =p
Forget Dr. Rin, Tofu's the one with all the raws for YAWARA!
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 22:35   Link #228
guess

Quote:

However I finally bit the bullet at the back end of December and I'm now in possesion of Galaxy Express 999 Boxes 1 - 3 so we're not restricted by the fact our awol translator is the only one in possesion of a raw source. Control of GE999 has been taken out of Tofusensei's hands and passed to the crew who work on Captain Harlock. While I can't promise releases which are on a weekly basis I can promise that efforts are being made to get the show out.

If you want to help the Harlock crew out in any way shape or form with GE999 be it timing / translating or are an experienced typesetter and what not, please introduce yourself in #live-evil on irc.enterthegame.com so we can finally get this series moving.

Regards

-gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer
(Now the other one apart from Tofusensei who owns GE999 DVD's)
Thank you so much about this. I love this series and would love to watch the entire series. I only watched a few because this is very hard to find now. I am very glad to know that you guys are still working on it. It is going to be very hard work (so many eps). Thanks.
Old 2006-01-19, 02:16   Link #229
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
Incorrect. Tofu doesnt have all the Yawara raws, someone else is our raw supplier. No issues there.

-gumbaloom
Old 2006-01-19, 06:17   Link #230
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
Hey, Dr. Rin is also good!
Old 2006-01-19, 08:17   Link #231
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Incorrect. Tofu doesnt have all the Yawara raws, someone else is our raw supplier. No issues there.
My bad, I apologise. I had remembered Tofu saying something about having the DVDs, apparently it was incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
It is, but it's no Yawara. =)
Old 2006-01-19, 13:40   Link #232
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Regarding IDE/L-E GF, episodes 4 and 5 have been stuck at in editing hell for quite some time now, sticks are constantly being brandished at the guilty parties behind closed doors but so far they have not caused movement :x

-gumbaloom
Old 2006-01-19, 19:05   Link #233
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Regarding IDE/L-E GF, episodes 4 and 5 have been stuck at in editing hell for quite some time now, sticks are constantly being brandished at the guilty parties behind closed doors but so far they have not caused movement :x

-gumbaloom
Perhaps it is time to change parties?
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 20:22   Link #234
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
Yes, it is. And Magical Fairy Persia is good too. I'd like someone at Live Evil would remember this project
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-19, 20:25   Link #235
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

If I remember rightly on this one Persia is on indefinite hold unless someone volunteers to start translating it for us. I've been with L-E for going on 2 years now and I've not seen any active work on Persia in that time so I can only go off hearsay that it needs a translator.

If you think you're the right person for the job drop by #live-evil

-gumbaloom
Old 2006-01-28, 16:24   Link #236
Pippin4242

I keep wondering, and here seems as good a place to ask as any, what exactly the different fansubbing jobs entail, and how much training you would need to do them. Because I'd like to help out for a few hours a week, but I've never done anything like that before and I don't know if I'd be any use. (And no I don't speak decent Japanese).

*~Pips~*
Old 2006-01-28, 16:56   Link #237
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin4242
I keep wondering, and here seems as good a place to ask as any, what exactly the different fansubbing jobs entail, and how much training you would need to do them. Because I'd like to help out for a few hours a week, but I've never done anything like that before and I don't know if I'd be any use. (And no I don't speak decent Japanese).

*~Pips~*
Basically there's:
Translator
Obvious. Lots of Japanese training required, several years probably.
Editor
Turns the engrish into proper English, looks up references, adds TLnotes as necessary, fixes spellos, grammar mistakes etc. etc. Outstanding knowledge of English required if you want to be a good editor.
Timer
Times the edited script to the audio/video. The basics are not hard, but in the beginning it's incredibly boring and incredibly slow. If you have a good tutor, learning to time good (even if not fast) can take a few weeks. Speed comes with experience.
Typesetter/karaoke-er/FX-creator
Creates logos, karaokes, english text for signs etc. It takes only a week or so of dedicated studying to get the basics down, but learning to be a GOOD TS/FX'er can take years. It also requires a good sense of taste.
Encoder
Encodes the raw with subtitles added in to a final XviD or x264 encode. The most technical of the jobs. Learning to be a "sub attacher" who only slaps subs on japanese raws may take a few weeks if you are good with computers in general, but learning to be a good encoder can take years, just like with the TS. Being a Real Encoder is probably the second most difficult job (the hardest being the translation).
Quality checker
Checks the result for errors before it's releases. This is harder than it sounds - it requires you to have good eyes and a good sense for language. To be a QC, you mostly just need to be told what to look for, but learning to be a good QC can take a long time.
Distro
Distributes the result either by seeding on BT, by running XDCC bots or offering HTTP downloads. Requires no special skills other than general computer knowledge, but a really high-speed internet connection is a must.

The basics of each position (with the exception of translation and editing) are generally rather easy to learn if you have a good tutor. The hard thing is to become GOOD.
Difficulty-wise I (personally, there's sure to be people who disagree with me) would rank them: Translator -> Encoder -> Editor & TSer/FXer -> Timer & QCer -> Distro.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2006-01-28 at 17:09.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 18:13   Link #238
Pippin4242

Thanks for that. Looks like the job I'd be best suited to is the editing... perhaps I'll volunteer my soul after my trip to Costa Rica this summer.

*~Pips~*
Old 2006-01-28, 21:54   Link #239
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

So there's no space for the poor translation proofers there? Are we even lower than the guy who brings the pizzas?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 00:32   Link #240
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan
So there's no space for the poor translation proofers there? Are we even lower than the guy who brings the pizzas?
Those are usually called "editors".