AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-19, 02:34   Link #1
DrFrag

Multiple mpeg torrent is chopped up and out of order!

I've started downloading a 39 file mpeg torrent of Mysterious Cities of Gold. It started off by creating the 39 files with 0 bytes in each, and I've watched as each file in order has gotten bigger. At the moment, the first 7 files are done and the 8th file is almost done. All the downloading is going fine.

Now here's the weird bit. If I make a copy of the first episode (which is completed) the copied file is unlocked and I can play it. But the episode is all chopped up - every few seconds is switches to another scene from random parts of the entire series. Like I'm seeing shots of the Olmecs which I know don't appear until episode 35. All the episodes from 9-39 are still 0 bytes, so what's this footage doing in the middle of episode 1? The file doesn't appear to be damaged or corrupted and plays properly, the footage is just out of order.

I've read that bittorrent doesn't necesserily download the files in order, but looking at the various file sizes so far it seems to be downloading them one after another. Once they're all done is it going to go back and re-arrange all the footage somehow? Or am I downloading from a bad source? This is my first torrent download so I'm not sure what to expect.

It's the 7.9GB file from http://meermanr.serveftp.net:6969/
According to Nero, the files are almost compatible for an NTSC VCD. The only problem is that they're "streaming".

(apologies if this belongs in the torrent download forum, I just thought it seemed like a playback thing)
Old 2004-05-19, 03:40   Link #2
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrag
I've read that bittorrent doesn't necesserily download the files in order, but looking at the various file sizes so far it seems to be downloading them one after another. Once they're all done is it going to go back and re-arrange all the footage somehow? Or am I downloading from a bad source? This is my first torrent download so I'm not sure what to expect.
Bittorrent downloads random chunks (ie, not in order).
It goes back and re-arrages everything when the download is complete.
You can download specific files in a torrent using a more advanced client.
Old 2004-05-19, 08:35   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

While the file sizes may make it seem as if it's complete...it's really not...the only reason why the file size is that high is cause bt had allocated the entire file already but still hasn't d/led all the missing data...it just reserved the space on your hd to be filled in

unless you have one of the clients that support selectable d/l's it's nearly impossible for bt to d/l eps in an order

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Old 2004-05-19, 10:17   Link #4
DrFrag

Phew! Thankyou so much, it's a huge download and I didn't want it to be for nothing.
Old 2004-06-12, 07:55   Link #5
gigaquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrag
Phew! Thankyou so much, it's a huge download and I didn't want it to be for nothing.
hi there, i downloaded the file, but i got problems with Playback. I cannot play teh file? can anyone help me out here?
Thanks
Old 2004-06-12, 08:03   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaquad
hi there, i downloaded the file, but i got problems with Playback. I cannot play teh file? can anyone help me out here?
Thanks
Take a look here. Uninstall your current codecs and follow the guide I linked to (normally only until [Level 1])
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
Old 2004-06-14, 19:44   Link #7
RobM

Send a message via ICQ to RobM Send a message via MSN to RobM
What sort of problems?

btw, http://meermanr.serveftp.net/MCoG is my page, and I'm currently hosting the tracker and am the original seed So I ought to be able to answer most questions about the set definetly.

RobM
Closed Thread