AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-05-19, 07:02   Link #1
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

The end of ABC

Quote:
Date : 19/05/2004

First of all, thank you everyone who supported and helped ABC project. I'm so sorry i don't have time to continue ABC anymore (I'm doing thesis and I have another project , I want to do in my mind) and I think other developpers don't have time too. Currently, some trackers use new protocol so ABC can't handle it.

I'm very glad that I can help Bittorrent community with ABC in a short time. Now there are at least about 10 bittorrent clients for you to choose and try.
http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net
Old 2004-05-19, 11:21   Link #2
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Not surprising... They said as much in the forums. So what client is most like ABC right now?
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 11:40   Link #3
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Aww man. ABC was the client I picked right after the original. It has served me well and I have had no complaints. I am soo used to the features right now. I guess we could use Shadow's as ABC is just a variation of his. Well, change is good, maybe I'll find a faster client.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 11:52   Link #4
m8-

Shad0w..

The only thing I like in BT clients such as ABC is that you are able to download multiple crap and it only takes 1 window to control them all.. Unlike Shad0w.. which there are times it is completely uncomfortable for me..
Especially when I'm working with 8-10 torrents per night
m8- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 13:12   Link #5
RPGWizard
Olde Skool Hooligan

Send a message via AIM to RPGWizard
Sad to see it go. It was pretty good. If you're looking for another one, Azureus is very good, IMO better than ABC ever was (And yes, I've used both extensively). Azureus is also updated almost daily.
RPGWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 13:16   Link #6
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Has azureus fixed its memory and cpu mangling ways? Last I used it, it sat on a torrent with a couple thousand peers and several hundred seeds, but the transfer was always 0KB/s unless it was coming from a seed.

Too bad it's unlikely anyone will continue with ABC. Was, IMO, the best client out there.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 16:01   Link #7
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

!!!
I've been using ABC since I first leanred there was other BT clients then the original!
I believe it was the only one with a queue aw, this just sucks.

AniBUROGU// Loveless Animation vs. Manga Comparison
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 17:09   Link #8
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Was, IMO, the best client out there.
Agreed, at the moment no other client is able to emulate ABC. A big thanks to the developers who gave us a wonderful client that will be truly missed by all.
Old 2004-05-19, 17:52   Link #9
Weirdanzeige
Anti-You

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Has azureus fixed its memory and cpu mangling ways? Last I used it, it sat on a torrent with a couple thousand peers and several hundred seeds, but the transfer was always 0KB/s unless it was coming from a seed.
nah, it's still sucks up about 100mbs of ram even when nothing's happening
Old 2004-05-19, 19:23   Link #10
323Familia

Suxor! I liked ABC allot, sad to see it go.
323Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 22:11   Link #11
rankorth
The Lost One

Yeah, I've been using ABC after I discovered there were clients other than the original. Kudos to the developers of ABC!! Thanks for giving us a wonderful product ^^

P.S.: I think i'll just stick with my ABC client till it really becomes obsolete.
Old 2004-05-19, 22:40   Link #12
Green²
It's Magic

I recommend Azureus over BitTornado due to the better GUI window and more toggled options. The speeds however, seem to be the same IMO.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 12:03   Link #13
HaRoRuleZ
Gundam Collector

ABC is my main client and I use Azureus sometimes. ABC is simple, convenient, and great. Eventhough Azureus has many good features but that Java things consume too much system resources and cannot be my full-time client.

I hope some bittorrent sites will not ban ABC too early for not having its core up to date.
Old 2004-05-20, 15:47   Link #14
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdanzeige
nah, it's still sucks up about 100mbs of ram even when nothing's happening
ouch. i get antsy when anything gets above 10

I will continue to use it until another client comes that is so shockingly superior i am forced to change.

ABC forever!!!
Old 2004-05-20, 17:50   Link #15
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
ouch. i get antsy when anything gets above 10

I will continue to use it until another client comes that is so shockingly superior i am forced to change.

ABC forever!!!
I recommend you to use Azureus though. It uses about 30MB from my 256 SD-RAM (you are probably using DDR, so it should be less) and about 03-05% of my CPU power (AMD 2400+). Is that so much that you'd not use it? It's a good and regularly updated client. At least try it^^
www.sourceforge.azureus.com <--- Out of my mind, so it's most likely wrong. You could always google, it is the first page. It is *NOT* www.azureus.org because they are distributing a client with a trojan!
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 18:09   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
I recommend you to use Azureus though. It uses about 30MB from my 256 SD-RAM (you are probably using DDR, so it should be less) and about 03-05% of my CPU power (AMD 2400+). Is that so much that you'd not use it? It's a good and regularly updated client. At least try it^^
www.sourceforge.azureus.com <--- Out of my mind, so it's most likely wrong. You could always google, it is the first page. It is *NOT* www.azureus.org because they are distributing a client with a trojan!
Quote:
On my way to achieve the Post Whore™ title ¬_¬
good luck with that. they generally ban spammers..

on topic: why should i change?

does Azureus do all of the things ABC does and also come in many pretty colors, and play music? no... so why switch?

I just dont want to change to a client that doesnt integrate everything into one window, and there is no real reason to change. so why should i??
Old 2004-05-20, 18:38   Link #17
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
I would switch to Azureus any day myself, if it can be controlled remotely via web, just like ABC and PHP-4-ABC. With that, I can switch my seeds running at home, while I'm at work, behind a corporate firewall, disabling me from using some remote control apps like VNC....

Edit : Never mind... I found a plug-in that enables what I wanted
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugi...p?plugin=webui

Last edited by Sylf; 2004-05-20 at 18:50.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 19:42   Link #18
Green²
It's Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
!!!
I've been using ABC since I first leanred there was other BT clients then the original!
I believe it was the only one with a queue aw, this just sucks.
Spoiler for 1024x768 image:

Is that about the same as ABC?
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 07:12   Link #19
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Stick to a good thing

If you are happy with the performance that ABC gives you, then stick to ABC. Just because development of ABC is ending (for now I hope) doesn't mean you can't use it. It's working well for you, downloading what you want, and what more could you ask for?

I have ABC as a back up to Azureus. It never hurts to have two BT clients just in case an upgrade goes wrong, and it takes up little room anyway.
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 13:50   Link #20
weyoun6
Romanji is evil

Send a message via ICQ to weyoun6
Accoring to the ABC website ABC is just BitTornado with queuing, Azureus has alot more features than just queuing. It monitors your seeds and decides what is most needed to be seeded, It lets you download parts of a batch torrent. It does use java, which is somewhat annoying, but it doesnt use much more memory than any other bt client I have found. And its .net not .com azureus.sourceforge.net

Last edited by weyoun6; 2004-05-21 at 14:04.
weyoun6 is offline   Reply With Quote