AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-05-21, 14:47   Link #21
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
But have they fixed the nasty bugs whereby Azureus will, almost randomly, decide to cease functioning entirely by sitting on torrents with plenty of seeds and peers, and maintain a consistent transfer rate of 0KB/s unless it's getting data from a seed.

It doesn't help that the program requires loading of the huge Java VM, but memory requirements beyond reason and buggy transfer problems are what led me to stick with ABC for the longest time in the first place.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 17:11   Link #22
m8-

Personally I will try sticking to ABC, but I will try Azureus out too.

After all, I don't give a flying fuck about the memory\CPU usage of Azureus, because I'm a type of night-downloading where in the rest of the day I download other stuff using other methods. So the JAVA problem doesn't bother me at all. Even if I do run my BT during the day, that would be short downloads, like 1-2 episodes, which is basically nothing besides 1-2 hours.

I just hope ABC will be useable for at least the next upcoming month, or some developers will see the full potential of it and start upgrading it.

EDIT: Just payed ABC's site a visit. It seems a new developer volunteered, if I'm not mistaken. So ABC isn't dead yet? 2.6.6 will be released, heh.
m8- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 17:25   Link #23
Killerattacks

IMHO Azureus is the best client out there...by far. And I don't know about which problems microlith is talking. I'm using Azureus since 2.0.7.0 (a real old version) And there hasnt been a single problem like the mentioned (except some cvs versions).

The CPU load is like always far below 10%, except when Azureus is hashing a file. And this happens almost never and when with an incredible speed.

I won't list Azureus features here, because they are just too many, but I think it's simply the best client. Try it for yourself.

Last thing: Never had such good download rates like with Azureus and I tried almost every client. Somehow it surprised me, but I wont complain^^
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 19:40   Link #24
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerattacks
IMHO Azureus is the best client out there...by far. And I don't know about which problems microlith is talking. I'm using Azureus since 2.0.7.0 (a real old version) And there hasnt been a single problem like the mentioned (except some cvs versions).

The CPU load is like always far below 10%, except when Azureus is hashing a file. And this happens almost never and when with an incredible speed.

I won't list Azureus features here, because they are just too many, but I think it's simply the best client. Try it for yourself.

Last thing: Never had such good download rates like with Azureus and I tried almost every client. Somehow it surprised me, but I wont complain^^
hah!. well. i am the guy that leaves his computer on, with a game running, winamp playing, so CPU % means alot to me. and same with ram usage.

ABC has been good about keeping under 20KB ram, and under 1% usage.

i am sticking with ABC for as long as i can.

anything more is just unacceptable. (now that i have had ABC)
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 23:25   Link #25
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I started using Azureus in place of ABC quite some time ago. Not much difference, except it only uses one port in place of the port ranges required by other clients. I like this very much since I sit behind a NAT router and share my cable connection with other 3 PCs.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 11:25   Link #26
Killerattacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins

i am sticking with ABC for as long as i can.

anything more is just unacceptable. (now that i have had ABC)
20KB ram usage? The only process running on my comp using only 20KB ram is the idle process. Even only the winamp _tray icon_ (winamp not running) uses 3Megs ram. And while hashing _every_ client will use almost all available ressources. I think you got something wrong there.

Azureus is currently using ~10% cpu load... while downloading several torrents with over 7 gigs. Memory used is 100megs but who cares? Could play Far cry with highest details while running Azureus
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 18:53   Link #27
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Any of you guys use TorrentStorm?
http://www.torrentstorm.com/

It always seems to work really well for me and has some nice management features.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 11:54   Link #28
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

When I read this, a little while later I switched to Bittornado, which im really liking. I miss ABC though, but Bittornado has become easier to use and the speeds im getting with it are way higher than ABC (90-140 kb/s). But theres of course the fact that while I was using ABC my router wasnt set up, and I was getting the yellow light, but now im getting the green with my setup now.
I dont think that theres a way that you can make downloads go in order/queue with Bittornado which is a big drawback because im usually downloading multiple things and I miss the queuing with ABC . But im overall happy with my new client .
|)arK_Nin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 12:51   Link #29
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Quote:
On my way to achieve the Post Whore™ title ¬_¬
good luck with that. they generally ban spammers..
You don't know what irony is, do you?

Quote:
on topic: why should i change?

does Azureus do all of the things ABC does and also come in many pretty colors, and play music? no... so why switch?
As far as I know it does everything what ABC does. You can use different skins, and can implement Plugins, so it can be costumized/enhanced even more than it is now. I don't know about sounds though. You most likely mean the sounds when a download is finished, don't you? Azureus does that too, although I disabled it...

Quote:
I just dont want to change to a client that doesnt integrate everything into one window, and there is no real reason to change. so why should i??
Azureus does not integrate everything into one window? That's news for me.
And yes, you don't have to change now, but you should have read this post properly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenpath
Quote:
Date : 19/05/2004

First of all, thank you everyone who supported and helped ABC project. I'm so sorry i don't have time to continue ABC anymore (I'm doing thesis and I have another project , I want to do in my mind) and I think other developpers don't have time too. Currently, some trackers use new protocol so ABC can't handle it.

I'm very glad that I can help Bittorrent community with ABC in a short time. Now there are at least about 10 bittorrent clients for you to choose and try.
http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net
Tracker protocols will change over time, and if the client does not follow suit, you won't be able to use the torrents that are registered to the tracker. Now if that is not a reason to change, I don't know what is...
You can just hope that the rumors about the new developer are true
Nonetheless: Azureus updates more often than every other client I can think of which shows that the developers are trying to make it the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
But have they fixed the nasty bugs whereby Azureus will, almost randomly, decide to cease functioning entirely by sitting on torrents with plenty of seeds and peers, and maintain a consistent transfer rate of 0KB/s unless it's getting data from a seed.
If there was such a bug, it is most likely fixed because I did not observe such a behaviour from Azureus. It gets data from seeds and peers all the same. (Like I said: It is only my obserbation, so I can't assure you 100% that it is fixed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
It doesn't help that the program requires loading of the huge Java VM, but memory requirements beyond reason and buggy transfer problems are what led me to stick with ABC for the longest time in the first place.
Quote:
hah!. well. i am the guy that leaves his computer on, with a game running, winamp playing, so CPU % means alot to me. and same with ram usage.

(Hobo, you most likely meant 20MB and not 20KB, don't you?)
To answer both of you, I decided to make a screenshot of my CPU and RAM usage. First off my computer stats:

AMD 2400+ CPU
256 SD-RAM ( You guys have most likely DDR, so your RAM usage should be lower than mine)
600 MB Virtual Memory
7200rpm 8MB Cache HD

Spoiler for Pic below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerattacks

Yup, Azureus is kind of "aggressive": It checks for new peers more often than other clients, and you got the option to "Manual Update" for peers too, which comes in handy at the beginning.
And it sucks when Azureus is hashing some Gigs worth of data because this takes nearly uses up 80-90% of my CPU power, but thankfully it only happens when your computer crashes and you got a fragmented HD like mine (sucks to be me...^^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by |)arK_Nin
When I read this, a little while later I switched to Bittornado, which im really liking. I miss ABC though, but Bittornado has become easier to use and the speeds im getting with it are way higher than ABC (90-140 kb/s). But theres of course the fact that while I was using ABC my router wasnt set up, and I was getting the yellow light, but now im getting the green with my setup now.
I dont think that theres a way that you can make downloads go in order/queue with Bittornado which is a big drawback because im usually downloading multiple things and I miss the queuing with ABC . But im overall happy with my new client .
Pssst, don't tell anyone, but Azureus can queue downloads^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyoun6
And its .net not .com azureus.sourceforge.net
Thanks for correcting me ^_^

And: No, I don't get paid but by the Azureus staff, I just try to share my positive experience with the BT community
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 13:22   Link #30
TetrFlare

Send a message via ICQ to TetrFlare
ABC has been my first and only Client... Really sad to see it go.

No choice, hope that Azureus can live up to my expectations.
Old 2004-05-24, 04:37   Link #31
panianna

People, rejoice! ABC is not dead. Version 2.6.7 was released yeasterday. I'll download it and try it today. All interested parties just stop whining and visit sourceforge.net for more details.
panianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 11:28   Link #32
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by panianna
People, rejoice! ABC is not dead. Version 2.6.7 was released yeasterday. I'll download it and try it today. All interested parties just stop whining and visit sourceforge.net for more details.
hooray!

... waiting to see if this new person is crooked or waht.

_sin_ yes. that was a typo.

Quote:
You don't know what irony is, do you?
i know some people will think this is funny. but i just post alot.

Quote:
Azureus does not integrate everything into one window? That's news for me.
And yes, you don't have to change now, but you should have read this post properly:
ive never used it, i dont know. i was just ruling out the "official" bittorent, and the experimental client.

Quote:
256 SD-RAM ( You guys have most likely DDR, so your RAM usage should be lower than mine)
yeah. my mem usage peaks around 23M for ABC, and 60 for POL... the lower my BT client can go, the less laggy my game. so ABC is still fine by me.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote