AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: which do u Prefer, Manga, or ANime?
MANGA!!! 70 41.42%
ANiME!! 99 58.58%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-23, 01:49   Link #41
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 32
I am on a personal crusade to see this topi locked. Not because I find it stupid, of course. But because as a poll, based on the located chosen for it, it has no meaning.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 02:50   Link #42
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Manga or Anime? Anime!!

I have written about the advantages of anime over manga in the Naruto forum, and because I'm too lazy to write again what I think let me just copy and paste what I mentioned about chosing anime over manga:

Why do people read the manga and watch the anime at the same time? I mean, I have read the one the best mangas ever, which is Berserk. But do you think I would have read it if had the oportunity to watch the animated series instead? Of course not, there is no way that a comic book with drawings will ever beat an animated series. The first 25 episodes of berserk are much better than the 14 volumes of the manga. Why? The episodes have music, voices, and animated sequences. The comic book only has drawings. At least if it were just a book with no graphics in it then it would make a fair comparison (Then it would be interesting because you would have to use your imagination to picture the action)

And now there are people who say that the manga is better... of course it may seem better because you are way ahead in story line and that is it. But for most of us who don't read the manga and watch the series instead we find Naruto to be a very entertaining anime. The best thing that naruto has is the suspense, but by reading the manga you are just missing point.

----------------------------------------------------

If you have the opportunity to have both the manga and the anime of a series; it is way better to choose the anime. Why? The manga shows basically the same stuff. But, the anime gives you the exact picture that the author wants you to have about his work.

Manga on the other side just doesn't express facial expressions or moments of tension as well as the anime does because it is based only in the drawings that it has.

Now if we compare the Lord of the Rings and its book, then, it is not a fair comparison. A book is literature, and if the language is good you get to picture exactly what the characters are feeling, even sometimes more accurately than in the motion picture. I read a lot, and I know that books can be much deeper than the movies based on them. However, this is not case with manga and anime. In the manga you don't really have to use your imagination due to the fact that everything is given to you in images.

From my point of view I consider that it would be very interesting to read a book based on an anime story, such as Berserk, it could be much deeper than the anime.

In my case, I only read the manga after I have watched the anime. In that way, I get refresh my memories about the story and at the same time I always get to see things that I didn't watch in the series. Remember that anime and manga always have their own scenes. Therefore, in the end it is good to see both, but I consider that you should start with the anime because if you start with the manga, then you would not be very surprised or impressed by the story line.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-05-23 at 03:25.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 02:56   Link #43
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck Between Reality and Fantasy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaBoi1989
hey, ppl make mistakes from time to time. (WOW, u found 5 mistakes, *clap clap*) Im not a english teacher you know? o ya, i never said i was Smart in any direct sense. and it's true knowing these logic/brainteaser question doesnt necessarily make someone smart, but being able to solve them is another scenario. also...i know someone who thinks and says he is smart, but i have no problem with that, cuz i DO think he very smart. (he always says i'm smarter then him tho XD i wonder why.....)

btw, i also see a grammatical mistake in your..."a truly intelligent and wise person does not brag about their intelligence...."

it should be "a truly intelligent and wise person does not brag about HIS OR HER intelligence"

even tho "their" is very widely acceptable now a days....but "his or her" in this case is actually more correct.
i type how i talk.
it'd be very interesting if you talked the way you type
"his or her" may be considered "proper", but believe me, there's no such thing as an "official" American English dialect, and the switching of "their" and "his or her" is considered a dialectical choice
ah cud tahp lak dis an' it'd still be considda'd english, jus' a diffun dialect

i'm with snoopy, this thread is:
a) pointless
b) too off topic
c) in the wrong forum
d) serves no purpose
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 03:21   Link #44
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
i type how i talk.
it'd be very interesting if you talked the way you type
"his or her" may be considered "proper", but believe me, there's no such thing as an "official" American English dialect, and the switching of "their" and "his or her" is considered a dialectical choice
ah cud tahp lak dis an' it'd still be considda'd english, jus' a diffun dialect

i'm with snoopy, this thread is:
a) pointless
b) too off topic
c) in the wrong forum
d) serves no purpose
The topic is fine - It could be moved to the general anime forum if you want to have a less biased opinion- The only problem here is that there seem to be that there are two "children" (Snoopy and MangaBoi1989) in the forum who don't appear to get along well. Please stop that little flame war of yours, which by the way doesn't make you smatter at all, and stick to the topic like some of us have done here.

Thanks.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 03:28   Link #45
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 32
I'm not a child~ BOOOO. *cries*

It's not like this thread would have gone anywhere. I provided myself with entertainment and I provided this thread with a meaning. Even if it was for a very short time. If you want the poll to be meaningful, then throw it into general and let the anime fans participate. That's like going into the naruto forum and asking if Naruto is the best thing since sliced bread. We all know it's not, but the poll would certianly make it look like it is.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 10:47   Link #46
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck Between Reality and Fantasy
no matter which forum you throw it in you'd get SOME bias one way or another
if there was a "Both/undecided" option the results would be a bit more conclusive, since quite a few people like anime and manga (part of the reason i haven't voted yet is that i like them both equally, neither is "better" than the other, each has its strong points and weak points...of course if you compare a specific manga and its anime adaptation or vice versa, one's almost always better than the other most of the time
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 12:10   Link #47
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 32
I think the fact that anime is so close to manga in the poll is downright astonishing... but then again, it's possible that some of the anime people heard about this little thread and came in to vote.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 21:41   Link #48
Soconfused
Old God Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: you....don't wanna know
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
well, since you guys think it's so biased here, then it should be moved to either anime or general. Although I think it's progressed to a point were it really won't matter anymore.
__________________
What exactly is the point of becoming powerful if one cannot indulge the hedonistic opportunities that come with it?
Soconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 13:57   Link #49
ShortsX
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Manga all the way! Why? well like most of you say, anime have animation actions, colour and voice. Well i agree with you there, but what happens when you get a lousy company and a lousy voice-cast? Manga IS the impression of the artist, because he or she made it.
Anime is just a way of distributing it in a different and more easy way. (thru tv) I know many of you say that anime is more 'detail' but that is anything from true. For example, if an anime gets ahead of the manga, the anime creator must ask for the artist's thoughts. With a bare guideline creator can turn a whole series around. *cough evangelion cough* (correct me if im wrong, but last time i check evangelion was still on volume 10?) People also say that in anime, character get more 'even' scenes, but that isnt true either. Tell me if you were a artist, would you create a chapter on a less popular character to please a small crowd of fans or would you make a chapter with a small scene of other characters but based on the main to please the majority of fans and make the storyline more detailed?
Anyways, there is also the fact that anime often cut of after a season, while the manga continues. For example, Fruit Baskets and Kare Kano (his and her circumstances) both hugely popular. I also agree with the anime mecha is better because i find manga is more detail with drawing people than drawing other things.
ShortsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 14:44   Link #50
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rei's back pocket
Age: 26
I prefer anime because I like to hear the voices.
Rei's Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 02:52   Link #51
MangaBoi1989
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsX
Manga all the way! Why? well like most of you say, anime have animation actions, colour and voice. Well i agree with you there, but what happens when you get a lousy company and a lousy voice-cast? Manga IS the impression of the artist, because he or she made it.
Anime is just a way of distributing it in a different and more easy way. (thru tv) I know many of you say that anime is more 'detail' but that is anything from true. For example, if an anime gets ahead of the manga, the anime creator must ask for the artist's thoughts. With a bare guideline creator can turn a whole series around. *cough evangelion cough* (correct me if im wrong, but last time i check evangelion was still on volume 10?) People also say that in anime, character get more 'even' scenes, but that isnt true either. Tell me if you were a artist, would you create a chapter on a less popular character to please a small crowd of fans or would you make a chapter with a small scene of other characters but based on the main to please the majority of fans and make the storyline more detailed?
Anyways, there is also the fact that anime often cut of after a season, while the manga continues. For example, Fruit Baskets and Kare Kano (his and her circumstances) both hugely popular. I also agree with the anime mecha is better because i find manga is more detail with drawing people than drawing other things.
im wif u here, o ya, btw, its true there is no true "american dialect", but have u heard of sth called "grammar"? btw, i dun fink u really know wut dialect is.... alot of Natives and Africans(no not african american, africans) speak DIfferent dialects of English, and trust me, u will havE NO CLUE TO WUT THEY ARE SAYING, it almost sounds like Another language.
MangaBoi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 03:21   Link #52
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 32
I'm not really all that sure you know what a dialect is. Really, 'dialect' and 'accent' differ very little in meaning (dialect is based on your culture, while accent on your location or lingual background). For example, 'valley girl' (with all the like likes and 'no waa~ys', get out of here, girl) is, in the strictest sense of the word, a dialect. As is street culture, old english, and maybe canadian but I don't know enough Canadians to know for sure. Of course, that also goes for South Africans, Australians, and other groups farther from America, but it is by no means limited to them.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 03:28   Link #53
MangaBoi1989
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
I'm not really all that sure you know what a dialect is. Really, 'dialect' and 'accent' differ very little in meaning (dialect is based on your culture, while accent on your location or lingual background). For example, 'valley girl' (with all the like likes and 'no waa~ys', get out of here, girl) is, in the strictest sense of the word, a dialect. As is street culture, old english, and maybe canadian but I don't know enough Canadians to know for sure. Of course, that also goes for South Africans, Australians, and other groups farther from America, but it is by no means limited to them.
the dictionary defines it as(www.dictionary.com): A regional or social variety of a language distinguished by pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary, especially a variety of speech differing from the standard literary language or speech pattern of the culture in which it exists

while an accent is defined as(www.dictionary.com): A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.
One determined by the phonetic habits of the speaker's native language carried over to his or her use of another language.

so....accent is just pronouciation, while Dialect ALSO takes grammar, volcabulary into account ^^ and if u look at the definitions again, dialects are also effected by the region u are in...(our english teacher showed as a really long and boring video on this...different dialects and stuff ^^'' :fingers: )

Last edited by MangaBoi1989; 2004-05-31 at 21:49.
MangaBoi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 06:17   Link #54
InstantRamen
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
This topic is a riot! Snoopy, MangaBoi, is there any point in continuing your arguments? Although it has entertained me greatly to see Snoopy try to talk some sense into MangaBoi (who does bring up SOME valid topics), this is not a topic about which kind of manga is better, what correct grammar is, how to type properly, or whatever else the two of you have discussed. But it was funny to read, I'll grant you that.

Anyway, getting back on what this topic is really about, I voted manga. Now, this poll really isn't fair. While you can ask for a generalized opinion, I think it would be much better if you compared the anime adoption of specific manga. For example, which is better, the Evangelion anime or manga? Or, which is better, the Naruto manga or anime? Sometimes the anime is better. For example, the FLCL manga, in my opinion, sucks. The anime is much more entertaining and I think that the anime does a much better job. The manga, which I believe is one example of the rare "manga based off an anime series", is too short, too confusing, and not nearly as entertaining. On the other hand, (and I know Snoopy won't like my example here) the Love Hina anime, which is based off of the manga, is, in my opinion, bad. I don't think it does the manga justice. And then there are some series that I have no idea which I enjoy more. For example, the One Piece anime, for the most part, follows the One Piece manga frame-for-frame. I enjoy watching the anime and reading the manga.

I chose manga in this poll because I enjoy reading manga more than watching anime. Why? I enjoy reading more than watching because I can get the entire story in less time. If I had all the time in the world, I would probably watch a lot more anime.
InstantRamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 11:21   Link #55
MangaBoi1989
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantRamen
This topic is a riot! Snoopy, MangaBoi, is there any point in continuing your arguments? Although it has entertained me greatly to see Snoopy try to talk some sense into MangaBoi (who does bring up SOME valid topics), this is not a topic about which kind of manga is better, what correct grammar is, how to type properly, or whatever else the two of you have discussed. But it was funny to read, I'll grant you that.

Anyway, getting back on what this topic is really about, I voted manga. Now, this poll really isn't fair. While you can ask for a generalized opinion, I think it would be much better if you compared the anime adoption of specific manga. For example, which is better, the Evangelion anime or manga? Or, which is better, the Naruto manga or anime? Sometimes the anime is better. For example, the FLCL manga, in my opinion, sucks. The anime is much more entertaining and I think that the anime does a much better job. The manga, which I believe is one example of the rare "manga based off an anime series", is too short, too confusing, and not nearly as entertaining. On the other hand, (and I know Snoopy won't like my example here) the Love Hina anime, which is based off of the manga, is, in my opinion, bad. I don't think it does the manga justice. And then there are some series that I have no idea which I enjoy more. For example, the One Piece anime, for the most part, follows the One Piece manga frame-for-frame. I enjoy watching the anime and reading the manga.

I chose manga in this poll because I enjoy reading manga more than watching anime. Why? I enjoy reading more than watching because I can get the entire story in less time. If I had all the time in the world, I would probably watch a lot more anime.
WHAO~ u are crazy! u actually read everything? although i might not neccessarily agree with you completely, thx for ur comments on the most part ^^(Yes, Love HIna ANime IS pretty crappy comparing to the Manga^^ of course, thats only my presonal opinion.)
MangaBoi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 18:50   Link #56
InstantRamen
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Yeah, believe it or not I make an effort to read the entire thread before writing a reply. That way I don't post something that has already been pointed out.
InstantRamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 19:14   Link #57
KristopherZ
Car Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Land of Nod
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
I definintely prefer manga over anime. It's benefits outweigh the things wrong with this form of storytelling. The first benefit is obviously price, most of the time a 200 page manga which consists of 7-12 volumes has more content. The reason is the format that makes it.

Usually there are two forms of manga, one that is published in a Monthy format which normally has 30 pages. The other is the weekly format, which is normally told in 20 pages. While the page number really doesn't do anything except gauge the stress level of the story writer. But essentially they both have to do the same thing, which is to capture the attention of the audience. It normally starts with explaining the previous event that occured, fleshing out the story, and ending the chapter with a cliffhanger. The story "arcs" are developed when a single story with the same goal is spread over mulitple pages. It can be from 3 chapters to 200 chapters.

Manga also has many other advantages like it's portability that allows you to carry it anywhere. It has single frames which allow for more emotional drawings to have more impact on the viewer. Manga also can cram more information onto it's pages, a character can think at the same time while engaging another character in dialogue. Something that hasn't been done that well in anime. While it has other advantages like the main one. Unlike anime it requires some form of imagination to create the character's voice, to stimulate the characters movement, and of course to gauge the relationship of the character to the environment that surrounds them.

Also it doesn't seem to carry the same aura that anime does and less people look down on manga rather than anime. The same thing in Japan.

It is a common misconception that all the Japanese people like anime. It is a wrong misconception. Anime is also seen in Japan like it is in america, for the younger kids and for nerds. Manga does not carry the same burden in Japan. People see manga as a true legitimate way to tell a story. There are 40 year old men that read a copy of shounen jump while going to work. The stigma is also taken away because manga is used as employees manuals and how to do stuff in Japan.
KristopherZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 21:46   Link #58
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck Between Reality and Fantasy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
Also it doesn't seem to carry the same aura that anime does and less people look down on manga rather than anime. The same thing in Japan.
sorry...but where i live, manga is seen as porn and anime is seen as "Pokemon" or "Dragonball Z"
they've even come up with a creative name: japanaporn
it's frustrating
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 21:48   Link #59
MangaBoi1989
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
I definintely prefer manga over anime. It's benefits outweigh the things wrong with this form of storytelling. The first benefit is obviously price, most of the time a 200 page manga which consists of 7-12 volumes has more content. The reason is the format that makes it.

Usually there are two forms of manga, one that is published in a Monthy format which normally has 30 pages. The other is the weekly format, which is normally told in 20 pages. While the page number really doesn't do anything except gauge the stress level of the story writer. But essentially they both have to do the same thing, which is to capture the attention of the audience. It normally starts with explaining the previous event that occured, fleshing out the story, and ending the chapter with a cliffhanger. The story "arcs" are developed when a single story with the same goal is spread over mulitple pages. It can be from 3 chapters to 200 chapters.

Manga also has many other advantages like it's portability that allows you to carry it anywhere. It has single frames which allow for more emotional drawings to have more impact on the viewer. Manga also can cram more information onto it's pages, a character can think at the same time while engaging another character in dialogue. Something that hasn't been done that well in anime. While it has other advantages like the main one. Unlike anime it requires some form of imagination to create the character's voice, to stimulate the characters movement, and of course to gauge the relationship of the character to the environment that surrounds them.

Also it doesn't seem to carry the same aura that anime does and less people look down on manga rather than anime. The same thing in Japan.

It is a common misconception that all the Japanese people like anime. It is a wrong misconception. Anime is also seen in Japan like it is in america, for the younger kids and for nerds. Manga does not carry the same burden in Japan. People see manga as a true legitimate way to tell a story. There are 40 year old men that read a copy of shounen jump while going to work. The stigma is also taken away because manga is used as employees manuals and how to do stuff in Japan.
mmm~ true true....i have seen some of those manuals my japanese friend keeps for no reason, and they are pretty interesting to look at,lol. and its also true and interesting that you see people of all ages reading manga(in japan that is, or some other asian countries?IE: taiwan,korea), but you just dont see the people from the same age groups watching anime....
MangaBoi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 22:43   Link #60
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rich., VA
Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
while i didn't vote, i prefer manga over anime, usually because i like to read at work...
when i get home, watching a good anime is nice, it's all about the circumstances for me anyhow. those of you who don't leave the computer very often probably find it a bit harder to find a favorite since both can be readily available. also, i'd imagine that whichever was "found" first would be more "special" in one's eyes, skewing their perspective of which was better.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.