AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-08-09, 04:04   Link #21
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentai_wolf
The problem, Avatar, is that I'm comparing the same video. We're not talking about two different shows here, or even two different episodes. It's the same show. The same episode. And those are only a few examples. Every R2 that I own uses higher bitrates than its R1 counterpart (assuming there is one).

If all you're saying is that the video can compress well down to those levels, then all I have to say is that obviously the Japanese companies disagree with you.
Well, AvatarADV can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the desire for high quality is also somewhat offset by the general consumer's perception of value. In other words, if you gave people the choice between higher quality and more episodes/disc, I think the latter would win out in North America (to a point, of course). I would guess that the vast majority of consumers don't have good-enough equipment, and probably wouldn't really notice the artifacting until it was either pointed out to them or they had something to compare it to (as you do). I've done a fair bit of audio and video work myself (not anime-related, though), so I do tend to notice things like artifacting in video and audio... but even I have to ask myself: would I rather have higher quality per episode, or lower overall price for the series? It becomes a question of what is the best perceived value for the price and, in North America at least, it seems that the majority prefer to have more minutes of content. (As I said, though, I'm not in the industry... that's just an outsider's perspective.)

That being said, sometimes a bad encode is simply a bad encode. It's all about picking the right balance between cost/disk space... and I've certainly seen cases where the balance has swung too far in the wrong direction... (Though neither of the two examples you mentioned in particular bothered me much in this area, I don't think...)

P.S. As for the primary topic at hand, I'm looking forward to getting my Gundam Seed box this week. We'll have to see how the video and audio turn out in the end!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 08:34   Link #22
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATX207_Blitz
it looks great. I like bandai boxsets. like wolf's rain boxset it will have an OST and a mechanics guide or something. hmm I think this thread is going to die now or something.
My Gundam SEED Vol. 1 + Artbox Limited Edition(with OST) is on my way already. It should get here by the end of the week... can't wait!!
And contrary to srb's post a few months back, it is five episodes per disc on this release and there will be 10 discs total.
Even better, GATX207_Blitz, is that the October 12th release of Gundam SEED will have both Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 coming out on the same day.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 18:47   Link #23
hentai_wolf
Vivisectionist VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Well, AvatarADV can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the desire for high quality is also somewhat offset by the general consumer's perception of value. In other words, if you gave people the choice between higher quality and more episodes/disc, I think the latter would win out in North America (to a point, of course).
If it were just a matter of not having enough room on the DVD to keep the bitrate high, I would have no problem with it. But in both of my examples there were plenty of room left on the DVD.

I picked up Gundam Seed last week and really enjoyed the first five episodes.
hentai_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 20:03   Link #24
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentai_wolf
If it were just a matter of not having enough room on the DVD to keep the bitrate high, I would have no problem with it. But in both of my examples there were plenty of room left on the DVD.
Hmm... in that case, I agree with you. Why would you press a DVD with blank space on it? That, I do not understand...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 22:21   Link #25
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Hmm... in that case, I agree with you. Why would you press a DVD with blank space on it? That, I do not understand...
Diminishing returns, basically.

There's -always- merit in raising the upper end of the available bandwidth, but that's rarely an issue - it's going to be quite high in each case. However, with a good variable-bitrate encode, the "average bandwidth" is going to be a poor measure of the video quality available at the upper end; for every fluid sequence that's maxing out the bandwidth availability, you've got a bunch of still shots with very low motion that take up well below the "average" bandwidth. You can increase that "average" by arbitrarily throwing extra bits into the encode at the low end, but putting more bits into a still shot is not going to improve its video quality any. Sure, the disc is closer to full, but to no real purpose.
AvatarADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 09:49   Link #26
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinDragon
What I want to know is... what's in the Limited Edition?
It doesn't say anything on the website.

R2 is always expensive...... so I really don't understand why ppl complain about how much R1 cost when there are other ppl who bought R2 and don't usually complain about it.
The R2 limited edition of "BakuTen"? Three discs of anime (for a total of 6 episodes, I think), a Jo figure about 2-3 inches in height if I remember correctly, a bonus disc (don't know of its contents at the moment), and a box.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/anime/essen...ten/index.html You can see what the Jo figure looks like through this URL.

DVDs aren't cheap here - not just anime ones either. The "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" DVD, for example, goes for about 3500 yen, or roughly US$30, new. The "Maburaho" boxes go for about 8000 yen new, and while the goodies are nice, they're still expensive.

The "Gundam SEED" limited edition is supposed to come with an OST, but even without it, at US$50, it's still a bargain, IMHO. If you pay full retail also, you haven't been shopping around, esp. on-line. DeepDiscountDVD.com is selling it for US$30 and with better goodies also.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 13:59   Link #27
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
The R2 limited edition of "BakuTen"? Three discs of anime (for a total of 6 episodes, I think), a Jo figure about 2-3 inches in height if I remember correctly, a bonus disc (don't know of its contents at the moment), and a box.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/anime/essen...ten/index.html You can see what the Jo figure looks like through this URL.

DVDs aren't cheap here - not just anime ones either. The "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" DVD, for example, goes for about 3500 yen, or roughly US$30, new. The "Maburaho" boxes go for about 8000 yen new, and while the goodies are nice, they're still expensive.

The "Gundam SEED" limited edition is supposed to come with an OST, but even without it, at US$50, it's still a bargain, IMHO. If you pay full retail also, you haven't been shopping around, esp. on-line. DeepDiscountDVD.com is selling it for US$30 and with better goodies also.
The "Special Disc" in the first Baku-Ten LE Boxset is just a CD with some tracks and sound dramas as reported on an Anime on DVD forum thread.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 22:10   Link #28
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
The "Gundam SEED" limited edition is supposed to come with an OST, but even without it, at US$50, it's still a bargain, IMHO.
Actually it's the Complete Best album (the OP/ED compilation album, minus the first ED).

I got mine yesterday. Nice solid box, and the quality of the dvd is great.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 08:28   Link #29
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panon
Actually it's the Complete Best album (the OP/ED compilation album, minus the first ED).

I got mine yesterday. Nice solid box, and the quality of the dvd is great.
Is it the "Complete Best" album that comes with the boxed vol. 1?

Score! But isn't See Saws song included? couldīve sworn is was in the torrent.

Anyways, I ordered the boxed set last wednesday so I really hope my swedish retailer gets it this well, although I doubt it and for the equvialent of $45 itīs a steal!
BME is offline   Reply With Quote