AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > KonoMini

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-22, 09:06   Link #1
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Arrow Episode 8 *unmasked spoilers*

a very revealing episode, a lot of the specualtions are finally confirmed by Jennifer. So Hikari and Takeru are the "Extension Definition" to destroy this world, and they are supposedly to be Akari's enemy. Quite a good episode, albeit quite predictable (you can see that cricket going to die right from the beginning...)

Surprisingly little fanservice...

Oh and Amika and Sakurako makes a nice couple
Old 2004-05-22, 23:47   Link #2
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
So it's finally picking up? Cool!
Old 2004-05-22, 23:51   Link #3
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
a very revealing episode, a lot of the specualtions are finally confirmed by Jennifer. So Hikari and Takeru are the "Extension Definition" to destroy this world, and they are supposedly to be Akari's enemy. Quite a good episode, albeit quite predictable (you can see that cricket going to die right from the beginning...)
Ah, so both the destroyer and the savior land on the planet at the same time...?

Akari is our savior~ Just one more reason to love her~
Old 2004-05-25, 22:01   Link #4
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:

Surprisingly little fanservice...

Oh and Amika and Sakurako makes a nice couple
Actually... after seeing the AOne-Onigiri sub I came to this conclusion:
Both Hikari and Akari are here to initiate the Seventh Extinction, They--or it, since they split from the same light--are thus the enemies of this world.

Extended Definitions exist to combat the Exitinction Catalyst--the Light--and seek to prevent the coming Extinction. Fossils and recent occurrences have suggested that the Extended Definition traits awaken in existing lifeforms, and Takeru may be the first known human to manifest the ED traits.

It's mentioned by Jennifer that the ED--referring to Takeru--instead of fighting agaist his enemy(Hikari), he fights to protect her. Nothing is mentioned regarding Akari and Ryou's abilities, which may mean that there's still a chance for Akari to come out of this alive
I mean, it may be possible the "light-split" occured because of a disagreement or conflict within the one consciousness of the Light--with Hikari, the dominant logical side hell-bent on causing the Seventh Extinction; and Akari, perhaps a newly sprouted love of the world(nature).
That may also explain the two's difference in age and size--Hikari has existed since the beginning of the Light, whereas Akari manifested later as an emotional attachment to this world.

In any case--damn it's time for me to get of the soapbox already --the Jennifer scene in this episode really reminded me of EVA. What with an old man sitting with his hands clasped, watching a blonde woman and a monster specimen It's all winding down--watch Melody of Oblivion when we get done at episode 12! Yes... shameless plug...
Old 2004-05-25, 22:09   Link #5
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
They completely foreshadowed Amika's death.
Old 2004-05-25, 23:23   Link #6
Pitar
Anime is a way of life?

Send a message via AIM to Pitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
They completely foreshadowed Amika's death.
Amika's Death?

I just watched Episode 8 and well outright dissappointed they foreshadowed too much... I'm sorry but a moral conflict within Hikari, just because she is human now. And telling the audience so much about the monsters and extinction... Then again it might have an interesting ending yet. I would stop watching the series if it wasn't made by GAINAX. Btw anyone find it funny that Jennifer looks exactly like the Researcher from Evangelion(the one that saves the main frame from being hacked) she also fulfills generally the same role in here too.
Old 2004-05-25, 23:56   Link #7
brightman
Ancient Member

Well, pretty much everything reveal has been predicted already anyway, since they've done so much foreshadowing in this series... But of course, it'll be interesting to see how this proceeds from here on. (only 4 eps left after all... Apparently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar
Amika's Death?
Yeah, I'm curious about the reason for that statement as well...
Old 2004-05-26, 00:16   Link #8
FlyByNite

Actually here's my thoughts on it. Jennifer or that guy mentioned this would be the 7th extinction right? So obviously the world has restarted. I think the Extinction Catalyst performs two functions. One) The extinction... Two)The resurrection/rebirth.

I'd say Hikari falls into category One, while Akari is actually category Two. I'm not sure where Ryou's powers come from in all this though.

I think right now we have Hikari and Akari both with memory loss of their actual functions after becoming humans. How their previous memories and missions integrates with what they've learned as humans will probably determine how everything turns out.

No matter what happens, I can't see Takeru fighting Hikari though.
Old 2004-05-26, 00:30   Link #9
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I haven't given any thought or predictions on what everything means (that's just not my style), but I'm glad that it looks like the plot for Konomini is finally underway. I hope this makes it worth not dropping this anime for me
Old 2004-05-26, 01:43   Link #10
DarcLion XVI
Shadow Stream

Send a message via ICQ to DarcLion XVI Send a message via AIM to DarcLion XVI Send a message via MSN to DarcLion XVI Send a message via Yahoo to DarcLion XVI
*done watching ep 8*

Damn, for a moment there Jennifer portrayed as the 2nd Akagi Ritsuko. These are interesting plots, indeed. I can't wait what's gonna happen in the remaining 4 (death) episodes.

I noticed on the last part of the ep Ioneous responded to Hikari quickly. I assume that he responded to the darkside of Hikari.

I'm honestly getting annoyed w/ Mari on how she approaches Takeru. She could at least have an honest approach to him, *gaaahh!!!*

I bet Ryou might notice the ED sooner as well due to his mysterious powers. The way this series goes would be an epic one. I don't wanna make a sudden reaction to Hikari's true form/darkside until it's told.
Old 2004-05-26, 02:35   Link #11
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

For some reason I think Ryou already knows whats going on... He always seemed to know something nobody else knew... Even though they foreshadowed a lot (when did they mention Amika... wtf? Did I pass out??) I think they are throwing this at us on purpose, I wouldn't be surprised if something dramatically different happened!
Old 2004-05-26, 09:10   Link #12
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

7th extinction...3rd impact...Jennifer...Ritsuko...connection? hehehe

anyway, my theory about the "X" parallel of Hikari being the "Dragon of Earth" is coming true ^_^
Old 2004-05-26, 10:03   Link #13
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcLion XVI
*done watching ep 8*

Damn, for a moment there Jennifer portrayed as the 2nd Akagi Ritsuko. These are interesting plots, indeed. I can't wait what's gonna happen in the remaining 4 (death) episodes.

I noticed on the last part of the ep Ioneous responded to Hikari quickly. I assume that he responded to the darkside of Hikari.

I'm honestly getting annoyed w/ Mari on how she approaches Takeru. She could at least have an honest approach to him, *gaaahh!!!*

I bet Ryou might notice the ED sooner as well due to his mysterious powers. The way this series goes would be an epic one. I don't wanna make a sudden reaction to Hikari's true form/darkside until it's told.
regarding Mari... It's a very cultural thing, as far as general Asian cultures go, that is, as far as I can remember 7-8 years ago when I was 14 and in Taiwan. You do not just come out and say you like somebody to the person's face, or ask them out to do something like getting a drink--you do it via love letters, under-a-tree-confessions, or you have a friend do it for you. But before those, you beat around the bush like there's no tomorrow.

It's very, very serious when you use the word "suki" in this sense. While "suki" should literally translate to "like" in English--in the case of a "confession" it's much, much closer, but not quite there yet, to "love." I'm drawing the parallels from personal experience, where in Chinese, the same connotation of "suki(or shi-hwan)" as the above case has a clear place in the culture I grew up in.

With all that said, you should be able to see how "forward" Hikari can seem to the rest of the cast when they see her saying "Takeru-san no koto wo suki desu."--it's just not normal to say things like that in front of people.

Gah it's all so complicated--the point is I don't find Mari's action annoying at all--well maybe a little, but I'm more sympathetic towards Mari than annoyed.
Old 2004-05-26, 14:20   Link #14
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
regarding Mari... It's a very cultural thing, as far as general Asian cultures go, that is, as far as I can remember 7-8 years ago when I was 14 and in Taiwan. You do not just come out and say you like somebody to the person's face, or ask them out to do something like getting a drink--you do it via love letters, under-a-tree-confessions, or you have a friend do it for you. But before those, you beat around the bush like there's no tomorrow.

It's very, very serious when you use the word "suki" in this sense. While "suki" should literally translate to "like" in English--in the case of a "confession" it's much, much closer, but not quite there yet, to "love." I'm drawing the parallels from personal experience, where in Chinese, the same connotation of "suki(or shi-hwan)" as the above case has a clear place in the culture I grew up in.

With all that said, you should be able to see how "forward" Hikari can seem to the rest of the cast when they see her saying "Takeru-san no koto wo suki desu."--it's just not normal to say things like that in front of people.

Gah it's all so complicated--the point is I don't find Mari's action annoying at all--well maybe a little, but I'm more sympathetic towards Mari than annoyed.
Is it also customary in asian cultures to have more problems for girls getting guys than vice-versa? If so, damn I wish I lived in that culture, at the rate I'm going I'm going to be single for eternity, hahahaha.

Great info though, I love hearing things about other cultures.
Old 2004-05-26, 15:04   Link #15
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
I was in a rush earlier, but about my views on Amika...

It's the way they did it, she said to not worry about death andthe camera focused on her. Directly. Alone. They didn't foreshadow how, but that it will happen. And I want someone to die. Look at the title, if the whole show ends all happily, that would suck.
Old 2004-05-26, 15:38   Link #16
nephilim
Loves Kaori

My thoughts are that only hikari is the destructor or the world. takeru is to put an end to hikari's e-ViL~ intentions. akari's roles are unconfirmed, but it could be that she's already "awaken," as there's no "evil akari" to haunt her. She probably knew what she was supposed to do instinctively, but she needed events to happen to remind her (like ep7)

Quote: 15:20 ~ 15:30 Ep8
"However, they bear similar characteristics to some organisms in certain time periods"
"If your hypothesis is correct, the ED in Japan is the sign of the seventh large extinction, right?"

the evil scorpion/crayfish like monster appears during the process of every extinction only. its purpose might have been to aid takeru in destroying the extinction catalyst. i notice in ep1, when takeru did not deliever that finishing slash, the reaction of the monster seems to be a crying one. i could be just my personal opinion tho.

ryou may not have the ability to read the future. like some of you who correctly predicted the story, ryou might have given much thought in the purpose of hikari and akari, and came up with the correct conclusion.

the purpose of extinction is DEFINITELY not to punish the humans alone, because extinctions happened in the past when humans have not existed yet.

prediction of the rest of the story: hikari knew her purpose, but she is not willing to do it. in the end, the love between herself and takeru halted the seventh extinction. hikari den disappear because there's no longer any purpose in her existence.

my 2 cents

Old 2004-05-26, 16:29   Link #17
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephilim
My thoughts are that only hikari is the destructor or the world. takeru is to put an end to hikari's e-ViL~ intentions. akari's roles are unconfirmed, but it could be that she's already "awaken," as there's no "evil akari" to haunt her. She probably knew what she was supposed to do instinctively, but she needed events to happen to remind her (like ep7)

Quote: 15:20 ~ 15:30 Ep8
"However, they bear similar characteristics to some organisms in certain time periods"
"If your hypothesis is correct, the ED in Japan is the sign of the seventh large extinction, right?"

the evil scorpion/crayfish like monster appears during the process of every extinction only. its purpose might have been to aid takeru in destroying the extinction catalyst. i notice in ep1, when takeru did not deliever that finishing slash, the reaction of the monster seems to be a crying one. i could be just my personal opinion tho.

ryou may not have the ability to read the future. like some of you who correctly predicted the story, ryou might have given much thought in the purpose of hikari and akari, and came up with the correct conclusion.

the purpose of extinction is DEFINITELY not to punish the humans alone, because extinctions happened in the past when humans have not existed yet.

prediction of the rest of the story: hikari knew her purpose, but she is not willing to do it. in the end, the love between herself and takeru halted the seventh extinction. hikari den disappear because there's no longer any purpose in her existence.

my 2 cents
I believe you are totally right about the monsters coming to aid Takeru in destrying the Extinction Catylyst (Hikari). I also liked the quote from this episode when the wheelchair man said "So he's protecting what he should be destroying." I think this show is destined to get way more interesting, but if it's only 13 eps we might already know whats going to happen :\
Old 2004-05-26, 16:59   Link #18
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0
Is it also customary in asian cultures to have more problems for girls getting guys than vice-versa? If so, damn I wish I lived in that culture, at the rate I'm going I'm going to be single for eternity, hahahaha.

Great info though, I love hearing things about other cultures.
well, no, at least not for me. but then you often see girls surrounding guys in animes, I hope I can get surrounded by pretty girls, lol

and after watching several different subs, yea, it seems the first sub I watched has some dubious translations... but still I'm not very sure about the ED/Extinction thing... in one line she seemed to say that ED doesn't have their own will but only total destructive power... Also if both Hikari and Akari are Extinction Catalyst, it's a bit strange why Akari try to protect that monster/ancient ED or something... And I'm not very clear on whether the "protect his enemy" means protecting Hikari or Akari...
Old 2004-05-26, 17:35   Link #19
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
well, no, at least not for me. but then you often see girls surrounding guys in animes, I hope I can get surrounded by pretty girls, lol

and after watching several different subs, yea, it seems the first sub I watched has some dubious translations... but still I'm not very sure about the ED/Extinction thing... in one line she seemed to say that ED doesn't have their own will but only total destructive power... Also if both Hikari and Akari are Extinction Catalyst, it's a bit strange why Akari try to protect that monster/ancient ED or something... And I'm not very clear on whether the "protect his enemy" means protecting Hikari or Akari...

Heh, I also wish I had pretty girls getting nervous about talking to me... Nothing more nerveracking than approaching somebody you like

But I'm not sure if I understand... Akari really hasn't played a major role in the series yet, and I'm not sure if she serves as an extinction catalyst. I think we're going to find that Akaris "awakening" will be to put a stop to Hikari. I'm pretty sure "protect his enemy" refers to Takeru becoming the Devilboy (haha) to protect Hikari since both of them are more directly involved than Akari and even Ryou.
Old 2004-05-26, 18:07   Link #20
nephilim
Loves Kaori

Quote:
but still I'm not very sure about the ED/Extinction thing... in one line she seemed to say that ED doesn't have their own will but only total destructive power...
Ep8 15:50 - "A monster that specializes on high offense. But, I never thought it could emerge from a human too. Plus, he maintains self-awareness."

That's the line that says it. Extended Definitions exist to combat "Extinction Catalyst." Apparently it is supposed to be that simple.

Rephrasing what Melazoma mentioned in an earlier post, ED traits exists in some organisms. They only awake when an extinction process is imminent, and transforms the original organism into ED. Jennifer originally thought that those ED traits only exists in non-humans, and that an ED has no will of its own.

Quote:
Also if both Hikari and Akari are Extinction Catalyst, it's a bit strange why Akari try to protect that monster/ancient ED or something... And I'm not very clear on whether the "protect his enemy" means protecting Hikari or Akari...
Until ep8, only Hikari is shown to be an "Extinction Catalyst" because Evil Hikari told her so. It is not mentioned that Akari is an "Extinction Catalyst..." yet >:]

Takeru always said that he wants to protect Hikari. But he never mention anything about protecting Akari =]

Last edited by nephilim; 2004-05-26 at 18:19.
Closed Thread