AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-05-24, 09:32   Link #1
kenviro

resuming download

I understand that BitTorrent will resume your download if it is stopped or cancelled at any time.

Since I am planning on downloading big files with BitTorrent, I decided that I will test out the auto resume function. I started a download for a huge file that was 1.4GB in size by clicking on a certain Torrent file and saving it at a certain location. After about 22MB downloaded, I stopped the download by pressing <Alt-F4>

I tried to open the Torrent file again and save the file in the same location. However, it did not auto-resume the file from the 22MB point onwards, but started all the way from the beginning at 0MB.

Can anyone tell me how to make the auto-resume function work?
Thank you.

Kingsley
kenviro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 09:45   Link #2
project_00

I guess it's client dependent. For BitTornado 0.3.1 It's automatic.
For other clients the routine is saving the file in the same directory or choosing the file which you originally saved to.
Old 2004-05-24, 10:25   Link #3
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I don't really know for sure but it could possibly be the alt-f4 manner of closing. I know that files have always resumed at the stopping point with Bittorrent when I close it, but when my computer freezes up, it starts back at zero again. That happened to me once with a 1.7 gig file, the computer crashed at 99% with only 5 megs to go, and then I had to do it all over again.

Closing creates a "save point" and when the program stops without closing it reverts back to the last save point. So if you haven't stopped it along the way, it losses everything it downloaded. So with large files, I stop it periodically, but the addition of some more ram has seemed to end my problems of lockup on downloads.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 11:09   Link #4
warnold
nerfelwap

Note that bittorrent can only verify completed blocks when it resumes. The larger the file/directory, the larger the blocks, with a 1.4G the blocks will probably be either 1,2 or 4Megs in size. So it's possible that you just had a bunch of incomplete blocks. Some clients (Azureus) will allow you to see the block by block progress so you can see how many blocks are in progress at a given time (and therefore how much data you'll loose if you quit then)

--
-billy-
warnold is offline   Reply With Quote