AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-06-25, 11:13   Link #3781
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

ewww.

Glad that Diamanti didn't seem to care, haha.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 15:22   Link #3782
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Anyone else see Ronaldo and company pulling off the upset Wednesday night?
Old 2012-06-25, 15:32   Link #3783
Solafighter
Hige

Thats gonna be some match on thursday.

Spoiler for image:
Old 2012-06-25, 17:23   Link #3784
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

i don't see portugal winning. i would like them to, but they're fairly one dimensional.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 18:54   Link #3785
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

The spanish team is looking pretty tired, I wouldn't be surprised if Portugal would win, even if it's by a narrow 1-0
Old 2012-06-26, 03:11   Link #3786
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Spain clearly hasn't played at 100% but I'm wondering if they are tired or simply don't have a need to play at full strength. Regardless I'm predicting another one side affair.

Still an Italy vs Portugal semi-final would have been better that match would have 1000 goal scoring opportunities, 20 balls would hit the post and the final score would be 0-0 a.e.t.
Old 2012-06-26, 03:54   Link #3787
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

TBH, I didn't see them as tired at all. Just "we're not doing more than we absolutely have to", which unfortunately is not uncommon in champions who are hardly challenged. It merely leads to frustrating matches for the opponent and terrible borefests for the viewers.

Well, good luck to Portugal! This might be the first (and last) time ever that I'm actually rooting for mega-poser clown CR7.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 04:13   Link #3788
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, good luck to Portugal! This might be the first (and last) time ever that I'm actually rooting for mega-poser clown CR7.
Would that be because Portugal are the easier opponent for the final?

And if so, wouldn't you rather have a shot at revenge for the last Euro's final?
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 06:31   Link #3789
Bri

Spain is only vulnerable to teams that are comfortable sitting deep without possession. Non of the other semi-finalists is particularly adapt at that style of play. It's going down to luck to stop Spain winning the tournament for the second time in a row.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 06:52   Link #3790
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Would that be because Portugal are the easier opponent for the final?
Primarily since for viewers Spain plays such a boring and frustrating football to watch. Whether or not they'd be easier in the final remains to be seen - at least we've beaten Portugal before.

Quote:
And if so, wouldn't you rather have a shot at revenge for the last Euro's final?
Frankly, I'm more interested in the title than revenge. And lord knows that Germany would have had a rough path into the final (Holland, Portugal, Denmark, Greece AND Italy), which aside from Spain is as bad as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Spain is only vulnerable to teams that are comfortable sitting deep without possession. Non of the other semi-finalists is particularly adapt at that style of play. It's going down to luck to stop Spain winning the tournament for the second time in a row.
We'll see. I'd give the German team a realistic shot against Spain, since we're playing a possession-based game as well. It would boil down to an interesting struggle for the midfield.

But I give Portugal an outsider chance as well. Spain didn't look invincible on the counter, and CR7 is a threat on fast breaks.

So, for me, Spain is the favorite, but all remaining countries have a shot at the title. Good.
Old 2012-06-26, 08:13   Link #3791
Athena
The Power of One

Spain will mostly pass the ball and score when they can. Honestly, Portugal will have a hard time winning, if they could.

BTW, I hold Germany favourite.
Old 2012-06-26, 12:05   Link #3792
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
We'll see. I'd give the German team a realistic shot against Spain, since we're playing a possession-based game as well. It would boil down to an interesting struggle for the midfield.

But I give Portugal an outsider chance as well. Spain didn't look invincible on the counter, and CR7 is a threat on fast breaks.

So, for me, Spain is the favorite, but all remaining countries have a shot at the title. Good.
I'm not sure trying to beat the Spanish at their own game will work. Barca's core on the Spanish midfield outclassed Khedira, Ízil and Schweinsteiger in WC2010, nothings changed there. Still I am sure L÷w must have thought up some usable tactics for this match in the last two years.

If agree that if anyone can hurt Spain, it's Portugal. Solid defensive center with two amazing wingers, but they have been very wasteful in front of the goal nor particularly effective in deadbal-situations.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 22:09   Link #3793
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Group match vs Italy should have been an indication on how to deal with Spain: a 5-men midfield which keeps the team's barycenter high will force them to play their passing game far away from the penalty area and will struggle to reach the box.

This of course implies a highly aggressive and attacking minded attitude rather than sitting and parking the bus, but it's something that on paper can be achieved without any real trouble by the likes of Germany and even Portugal. I mean, if we managed to do that then the other teams left in the tournament are definetely capable of doing the same, it just depends on how they're planning to play upfront.
Old 2012-06-27, 12:34   Link #3794
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Honestly I think Spain will win tonight, the Spanish midfield is so much superior compared to the Portuguese one and Spain's tactic against Ronaldo will be simple but effective: if Spain has the ball Ronaldo can't do anything.
Old 2012-06-27, 15:34   Link #3795
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Whoooo... Spain just got REALLY lucky. 3:2 advantage for Portugal on a break in the 90th minute. And in THIS game, Portugal would have deserved victory more.

On to the overtime, it seems...
Old 2012-06-27, 15:36   Link #3796
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Second 0-0 of the tournament...

edit: awful pass from Meireles.
Old 2012-06-27, 15:38   Link #3797
Vicious108

And the shot from Ronaldo wasn't any better.

That was the chance right there. If they can't score with that one, they're never going to.

I smell Casillas heroics in a penalty shoot-out.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 15:39   Link #3798
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Argh! That Ronaldo... like Balotelli, if they did not exist their teams would have been so much better.

EDIT: Another thing... brittish sportscasters and especially their guests are really living with 80s football standards
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 15:39   Link #3799
Haak
Forever Alone...

Portugal have done really well imo. I fancy them to win now. (but they really screwed up that last chance)
Old 2012-06-27, 15:43   Link #3800
Kyuu
=^^=

The only amusing thing about this game: watching fake Ronaldo choke.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer