AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-08-19, 05:29   Link #4541
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS

But wasn't United also failed to get Ozil and Neuer in previous years? Those two are currently best players in the world in their respective position and would have improved United Squad immensely

Still feel like EPL is losing its attractiveness, with EPL champions have taken turns to fail progressing through Champion League group stage in past 3-4 years. I don't know, but the lack in local English talent must have something to do with that. Spain, German, French leagues seems to full with local players (the like of Bayern, Real, Monaco aside) and their players in high demand in every other league. While English players rarely could make it oversea (Scotland aside). You see smaller clubs in English like Swansea, Newcastle, Sunderland filling their key positions with oversea talents also.

Furthermore the last two clubs tried to British-lise their squad, Aston Villa and Liverpool saw them moving backward several years. So i doubt any change will happen to EPL anytime soon
Old 2013-08-19, 13:58   Link #4542
Bri

Domestic quality has been a problem even during the top years of the EPL in the mid 2000s. What has changed is that a lot of the current top players at the moment are either German, like Ozil and Neuer, or Spanish. I guess it's very hard for the top EPL teams to compete on Madrid's, Barcelona's or Bayern's home turf.

Traditional recruitment grounds for the EPL teams like the French, Portuguese, Dutch and Scandinavian leagues are not producing the same amount of talent as before, while the Italians seem to have lost their desire to travel. South American players traditionally prefer Iberian clubs.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 11:43   Link #4543
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.

Last weekend was being hyped by MLS due to this match, since it counted as Clint Dempsey's first home game for his new home club, as well as a new attendance record for the season:

But for those with an eye for this year's Supporter's Shield and playoff races, a few of the other results proved to be interesting; not least this decision between the Montréal Impact and the Houston Dynamo:

It looks set to be a pretty interesting run of matches between now and the end of the 2013 regular season, even for those teams who don't have a U.S. Open Cup final, or remaining group stage matches in the 2013-14 CONCACAF Champions League, to look forward to.
Old 2013-08-27, 17:11   Link #4544
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Good to see the Gunners secure their Champions League spot comfortably. Been really pleased with the start Aaron Ramsey has had as well. For as much hype as Wilshere gets, Ramsey been the better player from the end of last season to now.
Old 2013-08-27, 21:24   Link #4545
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Good to see the Gunners secure their Champions League spot comfortably. Been really pleased with the start Aaron Ramsey has had as well. For as much hype as Wilshere gets, Ramsey been the better player from the end of last season to now.
The quadruple is on.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 21:46   Link #4546
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS

They will have true water test, coming weekend facing Spur.

It works both way actually.
Old 2013-08-28, 12:30   Link #4547
Bri

Spurs are on a shopping spree: they are in the process of picking up Lamela and Eriksen. Madrid unsettled the entire transfer market with their stupid over charged move for Bale in the last week. He's not even worth a third of the amount they are paying...

Wish the window would be closed at the start of season.
Old 2013-08-28, 18:02   Link #4548
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

it doesn't matter if the spurs buy buy buy, paulinho is the only player who has a legit chance at walking onto the arsenal first team.

definite props to Ramsey. he's finally put that leg break behind him and is firing on all cylinders. the last few tackles on wilshere were disgusting against fen. i'm surprised the ref let it go so much.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 04:27   Link #4549
Bri

Well, it does matter to me who they are buying. I'm annoyed that as an Ajax fan we're about to lose the spine of the team without having a chance to find replacements or to fit in youngsters.

This off course just happens before the CL starts and after years we finally seemed ready to progress beyond the group stages.

Last edited by Bri; 2013-08-29 at 06:42.
Old 2013-08-29, 16:20   Link #4550
Bri

CL groups were drawn today:

A...Man Utd...Shaktar Donetsk...Leverkusen...Real Sociedad

B...Real Madrid...Juventus..Galatasaray...Copenhagen...

C...Benfica...PSG...Olympiacos....Anderlecht

D..Bayern...CSKA Moskva...Man City..Plzen

E...Chelsea...Schalke...Basel....Steaua

F...Arsenal...Marseille...Dortmund...Napoli

G...Porto...Atlético Madrid...Zenit....Austria wien...

H...Barcelona...Milan..Ajax...Celtic

Groups A and F look nasty. Group H has all former winners. All in all I think PSG and Chelsea have the easiest draws.
Old 2013-08-29, 16:40   Link #4551
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

A. United, Leverkusen

B. Madrid, Juve

C. PSG, Benfica

D. Bayern, City

E. Chelsea, Schalke

F. Dortmund, Napoli

G. Porto, Atletico

H. Barca, Milan
Old 2013-08-29, 17:39   Link #4552
ChampDream
Alive

I'm kinda disappointed with how Barcelona and Milan are in the same group, I mean this is the 3rd year we are going to see a Barcelona vs Milan, they need to give the Milan a break.
Old 2013-08-29, 21:54   Link #4553
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

In another news, Udinese crash out of European competition again.

There needs to be a rule that if Udinese makes the Europe place, it will be passed on to whichever comes after. Seriously.

And oh, about time Arsenal gets a tough CL group.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 01:54   Link #4554
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

I don't know I think ManU's group looks pretty easy, B is a tough one though.

It also looks like Ajax gotten an easy group again, ah well at least there is a variation in the Spanish opposition this time around.
Old 2013-08-30, 05:12   Link #4555
Bri

Yes, first time Ajax and Barcelona will meet in Europe. I'm surprised that somehow these teams managed to avoid each other in the last 50 years. Afaik only Liverpool and Man United remain as multiple former winners that have never met in Europe.
Old 2013-09-02, 09:09   Link #4556
Eragon
eff off shiro.

Oh, look Arsene grew a brain

Kidding aside, this is a big move by Arsenal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23929339

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-09-02 at 10:03.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 09:41   Link #4557
KiraYamatoFan
Crazy World Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Oh, look Arsene grew a brain

Kidding aside, that is a big move by Arsenal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23929339
I never thought he'd go for such a fee. Signing Özil is a very good deal, but I was watching the North London Derby yesterday; I felt that the need for reinforcements was more important in the defensive side of midfield and at right-back. If Özil plays, I wonder who would get axed as a result.

Meanwhile, it looks like David Moyes decided to reply to the United supporters' begging for central midfielders that would help Michael Carrick. He better be , especially after the team's poor performance against Liverpool.
Old 2013-09-02, 10:02   Link #4558
Bri

Absolute madness on the part of Madrid imo. Isco is a top tier talent but Özil is worldclass. Madrid play enough games to accommodate them both after the departure of Kaka. I wouldn't even trade Özil for Bale, let alone lose 50m on the deal.

I guess Madrid is trying to emulate a dual attacking winger concept like Robbery at Bayern. Maybe they will make a move today for Suarez to upgrade the striker position?

Arsenal did some good business there, but will it be enough to keep up with the competition and survive the CL group stages?
Old 2013-09-02, 17:12   Link #4559
KiraYamatoFan
Crazy World Cup!

I'm completely dejected... United may still get Marouane Fellaini, but the deal went off on Ander Herrera.

Seriously, David Moyes and Ed Woodward can both fuck off for this total fiasco of a transfer window. C***s!
Old 2013-09-02, 18:18   Link #4560
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
The quadruple is on.
Hilarious...

Would have liked to have seen another striker, young DM and CB brought in but Ozil and Viviano are quality signings.

Tags
football, soccer