AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2008-04-13, 14:31   Link #1821
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Manchester United 2 - Arsenal 1

It was a nicely paced game the first half, the 2nd half was just B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Great game, sad we lost, we had so many chances, and I still doubt why we have Adebayor as a striker, he still can't do much!

I'm cheering on Chelsea to win the Premiership, hate Man United. Arsenal we always have next year!

Let's hope the summer transfer window will be a good one!
Old 2008-04-30, 17:59   Link #1822
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

It'll be an all English Champions League final between United and Chelsea.

After Cristiano Ronaldo missing his penalty in the 1st leg, Utd went through thanks to a stunner by Scholes, and they hung on to the win.

Chelsea have every reason to thank John Arne Riise. In the 1st leg, he gifted them a precious away goal, making Liverpool's job very difficult. Then with Aurelio and Skrtel, the two defenders Benitez preferred over Riise out injured in both legs respectively, Benitez is stuck with Riise even more.

Chelsea led 1-0 in the 1st half, and even though Torres bought the Reds Extra Time in tonight's game, Chelsea then went ahead again thanks to a Lampard penalty won after Hyypia fouled Ballack. Riise then stood still and allowed Drogba to run free and kill off the game. Babel's stunning cracker near the end was just a consolation.

Were it not for the injuries (he was even forced to sub out Torres as he got a hamstring injury), Benitez's game plan might have been successful. So thanks a lot for your services to the Reds Riise, but it's time to move on.

So all the best to Chelsea for finally making their 1st UCL final.

Then again, the good news is this will hasten the exit of those two American owner goons, and the new Dubai Sheikh will truly allow Benitez access to funds rather than pile debt on the club. Amazing that Benitez managed to soldier on through all this boardroom squabbling nonsense and led the team to this stage.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 10:51   Link #1823
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

>.<

ManU won.. but this is probably the closest season ever that I can remember since addicting to EPL.

Gratz to ManU and good luck to both ManU and Chelsea next week.

A brief look at Arsenal

>.<
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 11:39   Link #1824
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
Somehow, despite my belief that the EPL is probably the best league there is, I find the prospect of an all-English Champions League final a bit of a letdown.

Maybe it's because Liverpool's not in it
shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 12:27   Link #1825
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter View Post
Somehow, despite my belief that the EPL is probably the best league there is, I find the prospect of an all-English Champions League final a bit of a letdown.

Maybe it's because Liverpool's not in it
QFT.

Since 2000, I've not missed a Champions League final, but this year I just don't feel motivated to watch it.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 00:31   Link #1826
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Then you guys should look forward to Serie A's latest matches this sunday, it's going to be pure hell since both Inter and Roma are going to face two teams that are fighting for relegation, and Roma has a chance to surpass Inter since they're only one point behind. It's finally a thrilling ending for Serie A as well after two years of complete boredom due to the Calciopoli scandal and consequences. I am glad Serie A is slowly getting back its old entertaining shape.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 06:13   Link #1827
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
... And here was I thinking when i saw the title of this thread:

*mumble mumble, whine complain* it's gonna be another American Football thread.

I open it and see that it's about football!!!
ACTUAL FOOTBALL!!!
as in "the beautiful game" football!

And so I cheered and life was good

Right, now to keep on topic, this week is full of finals matches, as shown in this link right here

First match is kinda a historic event, playing at 3pm BST today as said here:

Quote:
The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON
Portsmouth v Cardiff, F, 15:00
Both teams have never won or played at Wembley for this post WW2, so it's like 1920's and 1930's when eitherside won.
Me personally am actually gonna support the Welsh, simply cause they can't compete for other English leagues seeing as they don't have an official 'Welsh' league and they get so much flak from the English just for being Welsh, that it'd be nice for them to win the FA cup methinks

Since Portsmouth beat Man U to get to the finals... they are favoured to win the title, but here's hoping they lose. :P

PS:
just for fun, here's a mini photo gallery of the fans themselves as they may their way over to Wembley Stadium ^^

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 16:00   Link #1828
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Champions League 2008 Final

Hey football/soccer fans out there... Just wondering who would be watching the match tomorrow.

Any thoughts on a winner... (I'm a United fan, so I'll keep my mouth shut... for now)

And on a side note, if United were to win, where does that place Ronaldo amongst the all time greats? I mean, he is virtually a lock for FIFA Player of the Year (41 goals in 47 appearances), and adding a Champions League win to his already impressive resume (2 EPL titles, PFA Players' Player of the Year two years running) makes for quite a gaudy trophy case. Johan Cruyff, no slouch himself, has said that Ronaldo is United's best ever and is "better than Denis Law and George Best".

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:37   Link #1829
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

^^^ Ronaldo is good don't get me wrong but, you can't compaire him to people as great as Denis Law and George Best. ex-football players say a lot about upcoming talents and how good they are and start comparing them to old legends and that is what they are LEGENDS.

Ronaldo is good and he does have a lot of potential for the future, but, by no means is he as good as some legends. those guys helped get football to where it is today and have contributed a lot to the mordern game.

maybe if he keeps going the way he does now, then in a couple of years like 5-10 years time, he will become great and can be placed among the legends of football but, as he is now, he is just another player who had had a great season. there are a lot of those players around the world who have great seasons, but to keep it up is the real test.
Old 2008-05-21, 09:46   Link #1830
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

CHELSEA CHELSEA!
(I'm a Londoner and an Arsenal fan, so gotta support whoever is facing Man U) >.>

I know the streets tonight will be dead quiet and pratically every pub full, lol.
I'll be working on TC'ing sadly in someone's home, so won't be around to see the match, but will definitely see the results by the time I go home and check out the streets

All the best to Chelsea, they beat Man U last year, hope to do it again this year, so each team gets 1 a piece in terms of a cup ^^

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2008-05-21, 12:04   Link #1831
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
I'm neither a Chelsea or a Man Utd fan. So this final seems a bit too top-of-the-league EPL for me.

And I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually rooting for Chelsea. I don't want Alex Fergurson to claim he's the best manager in England
shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 16:07   Link #1832
monir
cho~ kakkoii

ManU or Chelsea... ManU or Chelsea... ManU or Chelsea... oh, the suspense is killing me.

edit: 11 vs. 10 now because of a bitch slap. It's on now!
Old 2008-05-21, 16:54   Link #1833
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

OMG! OMG! OMG! just too intense!!

I was swearing my head off at the tv it was that intense!!!

all in all quite the final, not sure I swore that much during a shootout before
Old 2008-05-21, 16:56   Link #1834
Solafighter
Hige

Ballack...

Congrats to Manchaster United.
Old 2008-05-21, 16:59   Link #1835
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I'm neither a fan of the two teams, but I was rooting for Chelsea for this game. :[
Too bad they lost though, I thought they deserved it more than Man U.

Oh well, whatever, that's football for you. Congrats to Manchester United.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 17:34   Link #1836
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Congrats Manchester Utd! Penalties were heart in mouth stuff. Great final.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 20:27   Link #1837
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

he slipped, oh my word, dude slipped and screwed up the penalty ;_;

(needs to catch the highlights herself..after she isn't feeling so depressed)
So Man U got their double, and Portsmouth their FA cup, thus ends the season for another few months until it's August again...

Old 2008-05-21, 21:25   Link #1838
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
^^^ Ronaldo is good don't get me wrong but, you can't compaire him to people as great as Denis Law and George Best. ex-football players say a lot about upcoming talents and how good they are and start comparing them to old legends and that is what they are LEGENDS.

Ronaldo is good and he does have a lot of potential for the future, but, by no means is he as good as some legends. those guys helped get football to where it is today and have contributed a lot to the mordern game.

maybe if he keeps going the way he does now, then in a couple of years like 5-10 years time, he will become great and can be placed among the legends of football but, as he is now, he is just another player who had had a great season. there are a lot of those players around the world who have great seasons, but to keep it up is the real test.
I understand every point that you're making, but I do think that Cruyff was right in his assessment of Ronaldo. As far as talent is concerned, you really can't compare players from earlier eras to the players of today. Today's players have evolved with the game, becoming smarter and more athletic. So from an objective standpoint, yes, Ronaldo is more talented than George Best and Denis Law, and from a soccer standpoint, he is definitely "better", as neither of those two in their primes would be able to keep pace with Ronaldo today.

However, what we can compare is what each of these players has done for their club. Obviously, Law, and Best especially, have cemented the legacy of United for as long as football is played. It will be close to impossible for Ronaldo to top what they have done for the Reds. However, winning Europe and the Premier League in the same season is quite a starting point for what could be, if Ronaldo were to stay at Manchester and keep his current form, a ManU dynasty for the next few years.

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 03:47   Link #1839
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
thus ends the season for another few months until it's August again...
Luckily a big tournament will start in two weeks featuring the top 16 teams of Europe.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 08:08   Link #1840
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i'm hoping for spain vs Netherlands final.

Tags
football, soccer