AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-16, 22:03   Link #21
wao
OK.

Thumbs up I watched this show when I was 11.

I really like that statement where someone said this show is depicting reality, not drama.

That is what this show is, and people will in the real world choose to keep the baby rather than abort, because people do think differently. The show is not going to carefully structure EVERY single event that happens and fit morals and certain reactions to suit the story THE WAY VIEWERS EXPECT IT TO BE. Of course they still have to structure the story because how else do you produce a show, but, it's not like the reactions in NTHT are completely unrealistic and have no sense behind them. Anything is possible when you've undergone so much trauma.

Also, again, even thoguh Shu's optimism is annoying, childlike and indeed rather stupid, not only does it help some people watch the show as seen in this thread, it is again realistic. There ARE people in this world who will resort to blind optimism to help them get through things, and especially children. Do you honestly expect all of them to be smart, mature individuals who know how to deal with every situation the way you expect them to?
It may be annoying but at least it's an accurate, realistic picture. I don't think the show was particularly trying to put it in a 100% good light, but of course, at least some form of optimism is better than moping around in depression.

I must say thoguh, I only watched this 4 years ago when it showed on AXN (ahhh, the days when AXN actually showed other things!) and my reaction as an 11-year-old was that 1. I didn't really understand the gravity of what happened. Either that, or 2. It was so traumatizing that it got sealed in my memories and the only "memory" I have is me fixed to the screen. I did watch every episode faithfully unlike my friend who introduced me to anime, she stopped watching after teh 2nd episode. I suppose she was looking for more typical anime (we were both just starting on anime).
I do remember I was extremely depressed that
Spoiler:
Old 2005-12-25, 17:36   Link #22
Ilpalazzo-sama

Now and Then, Here and There (Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku) - questions and discussion

Hi

(Note: I did search the forums for a topic about this series, and could not find one. However if there were already one, I'm sorry).

I've just finished watching this series (AniDB info)...it was an excellent depressing/drama anime, but have some questions (spoilers inside).

Question 1:
Spoiler:

Question 2:
Spoiler:

Question 3:
Spoiler:

Thanks.

Last edited by Ilpalazzo-sama; 2005-12-25 at 18:57.
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 20:45   Link #23
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Ah NTHT. The one series I can't help but hold high in my collection but have never been able to watch again.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Unrelated:
Spoiler:
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 00:49   Link #24
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Ah NTHT. The one series I can't help but hold high in my collection but have never been able to watch again.
True...It's an awesome series, but rewatch it? Never.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Thanks.
Quote:
Spoiler:
Thanks again
Quote:
Unrelated:
Spoiler:
Heh...didn't notice that.

Does anyone knows the answer to Question #2?
Old 2005-12-26, 01:23   Link #25
harudasakurada

Send a message via AIM to harudasakurada
Oooh, Now and Then, Here and There! I love it. I even wrote a paper comparing it to a basic mythological structure for a class this semester (for which I rewatched it... oh, it was so depressing).

For the second question:
Spoiler:

Also, more stuff about the setting and Lala-Ru:
Spoiler:
harudasakurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 03:39   Link #26
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I liked this show but I couldn't believe in Shu. The troubles he went through for a girl he meets for a total of 15 seconds doesn't fly. And the amount of Damage he takes and just shrugs it off made me snort in disbelief. And finally, if they could teleport here, why not just steal the water?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 11:05   Link #27
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
I liked this show but I couldn't believe in Shu. The troubles he went through for a girl he meets for a total of 15 seconds doesn't fly. And the amount of Damage he takes and just shrugs it off made me snort in disbelief. And finally, if they could teleport here, why not just steal the water?
He was just too much involved into the case and he chose to try to help Lala Ru instead of running away, and he is not the type who gives up easily.

The teleporter could have been capabile to transport only a certain amount off mass, and they had to transport back the robots, and at least 4 (?) ppl. Also, the King wanted Lala Ru too, not just the water.
Old 2005-12-27, 01:28   Link #28
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo-sama
He was just too much involved into the case and he chose to try to help Lala Ru instead of running away, and he is not the type who gives up easily.
I think the point I finally said this is full of crock was when they shot him in the leg and throw him the trash pit. 30 seconds later, he is up, around, and climbing the trash bin. I was like with a leg wound, he couldn't stand let alone be up and around.

I like a lot of anime both sad and happy, but having your life thrown away for someone you know for 15 seconds? Nahh. Give me Habane Renmei or Whispers of the Heart, or even SHUFFLE, all of those set up a reason that the main character is doing what they are doing, (Find meaning the the wings, Find the boy who checked out the book, find out what you really want in life), not, oh boy I'm on top of a smokestack, see some cute chick, and sacrifice myself for her incredible beauty in an otherwise Realistic Post Apocalyptic Earth I have seen.
Old 2005-12-27, 03:14   Link #29
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
I couldn't agree more. I think this is one of the best series I've ever seen, It's definitly the saddest anime SERIES i've ever seen. Way sadder then Saikano. But I haven't watched it more then once.

Spoiler:
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 03:46   Link #30
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
^ that probably sums it up entirely for me. I thought that while there were several flaws (including the all-irritating protagonist whose attitude didn't change throughout the series -- both a sign of great persisting consistency in turmoil and but also annoying when there's no change and growth), it was really quite a unique vision. It was also unrelenting, and very brutal, despite its art style.

I don't think I'll ever watch it again.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 01:42   Link #31
Morgri

Now and Then, Here and There

Spoiler:

It left me with so many questions, can anyone answer them?

Wow, I know it was a powerful series, but compared to some others it was very light. I look forward to watching it again so I can answer my questions.

Quote:
I like a lot of anime both sad and happy, but having your life thrown away for someone you know for 15 seconds? Nahh. Give me Habane Renmei or Whispers of the Heart, or even SHUFFLE, all of those set up a reason that the main character is doing what they are doing, (Find meaning the the wings, Find the boy who checked out the book, find out what you really want in life), not, oh boy I'm on top of a smokestack, see some cute chick, and sacrifice myself for her incredible beauty in an otherwise Realistic Post Apocalyptic Earth I have seen.
Hmm, I don't think that's the point. Shu's whole reason for being in that world in the first place was just to rescue the girl -- therefore, everyday he wasn't able to get her -- or for that matter, know if she was dead or not -- he became more attached to her. I thought it was very sad -- the end -- because Shu's whole purpose was destroyed in the end by having LaLa Ru disappear; however, her last words imply that she could/would/will come back, to bad the series was that short.

Last edited by Morgri; 2006-03-21 at 09:28.
Morgri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 17:26   Link #32
Jedai

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgri View Post
Wow, I know it was a powerful series, but compared to some others it was very light.
How so ? And which other series did you feel were more "heavy" ?

This serie is frankly amazing , there's no gore, almost all the content is watchable by children... For they probably wouldn't understand most of the implicit extreme violence of the show . As said by others, this is probably the most disturbing anime I've ever watched (and I watched a lot). Of course realism isn't really a preoccupation in anime, but I disagree with those that think Shu is a shallow character, I encountered a few guys that were this optimistic. But even he is shaken by the end of the show, you can see that its optimism is becoming tainted of hopelessness (it's how I read his behavior at least).

Spoiler for What is LaLaRu ?:

Anyway, this anime definitely makes it on my "essential" list, though I probably won't watch it again (at least alone)...

--
Jedaļ
Jedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 03:26   Link #33
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo-sama View Post
The teleporter could have been capabile to transport only a certain amount off mass, and they had to transport back the robots, and at least 4 (?) ppl. Also, the King wanted Lala Ru too, not just the water.
Why couldn't they keep going back to get water? Get a couple of huge drums and a few soldiers, find the nearest river/standpipe and help yourselves. It should at least be enough to keep the fortress going, maybe even grow a few crops. I kept wondering why they never tried.
Old 2007-10-26, 10:19   Link #34
gaguri

Seems bit obvious to me. The world of Hellywood and the world that Shu used to live in is separated by billions of years (implied from opening). I would imagine that it takes a tremendous amount of energy to transport a group of robots and people. It was worth the risk the first time, since bringing back Lalaru can literally solve all their problem. My god, you can't seriously expect to get enough water (i.e. the amount Lalaru has given out when she saved Shu) from using this transport method.

Another point. These are all speculations based on absolutely no concrete facts. It's easy to say 'ow why can't they get water from this transport', and the answer is 'maybe because it would cost more to go forth and back trying to get necessary quantity'. Maybe it cost less and maybe it cost more, but common sense says that such a notion is certainly within a range of feasibilty in a fictional world, and I fail to understand how people can talk about the physics of a fictional world that we all know absolutely nothing about. Such useless speculations are absurd.

As for the show, it's a masterpiece. It's my absolute number one favourite anime of all time. Perhaps sentimental factor has a lot to do with it (being one of the first animes I saw), but anime doesn't get more powerful than this.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 13:44   Link #35
Kirarakim

I guess this is a little bump:

A lot of people complain that Shu's character is unrealistic but I always felt Shu was meant to be symbolic just as much as Lala Ru. In such horrible times as depicted by NTHT you would think that someone like Shu can't exist. Maybe they can't to that extreme but I think we would like to believe that their is still goodness and hope left in people even in the worst of time and that is what Shu symbolized for me.

As for Lala Ru I agree with Jedai's assesment.

Spoiler:

As for realism you have characters like Sara and Nabuca who I think are two of the most realistic characters I've seen in anime.

My only gripe with NTHT is I never understood how people let someone as cowardly and stupid as Hamado rise to power. I think the writers could have come up with a better villain.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 14:11   Link #36
7Th
Mixtape

In my opinion, Shu's extreme optimism was the key storytelling device for the thematic purpose of NTHT. The idea behind the script wasn't to create a generic essay on "the harsh reality behind human nature" but rather to sing an honest melody about the true soul that ties people together.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 13:55   Link #37
bobjoemac

Kirarakim Their have been TONS of crazy dictators that got into power through military coup's royalty or just desperate citizens. And the world of now and then definitly wasn't in the best state so I could easily see a crazy psychopath easily establishing power if he could do something simple like conquer areas with water etc.
bobjoemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 15:08   Link #38
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjoemac View Post
Kirarakim Their have been TONS of crazy dictators that got into power through military coup's royalty or just desperate citizens. And the world of now and then definitly wasn't in the best state so I could easily see a crazy psychopath easily establishing power if he could do something simple like conquer areas with water etc.
It's not the crazy part that bothers me, what bothers me is Hamado is afraid of his own shadow and is incompetent without his soldiers. I think it would have been more believable if someone was controlling Hamado and he was a puppet dictator.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 16:44   Link #39
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Nah , that part I can believe. People change after they get power and this was his. I bet he was pretty competent in the old days.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-11-01, 17:14   Link #40
Sumgai
Lurker

Yeah... When it comes to Hamdo, there's a whole past that we don't see in that world, but that's not what matters.

As for Shu, of course he's unrealistic but that's not the point. I think he's meant show how simple right and wrong actually is.

In contrast there's Nabuca, who deep in his heart wants to do the right thing, but faced with reality he has to make complicated decisions and justifications for doing wrong things. This is more like actual people; always rationalizing and weighing decisions, thinking of a way to justify bad or "evil" behavior, and somehow making it right. Making excuses like "I had no choice".

Tags
drama, science fiction