AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-27, 07:37   Link #1
hamhalol
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
3mbit line, and downloading at 10kB average..

I dont get it..Supposadly, my (dsl) internet connection is 3mbit now, and i havnt noticed any differnce from the 700(ish)kbit before. I hear stories about how people who have 2-3mbit lines are downloading files at 100-300kB/s, but yet, im stuck at 10kB/s on average. Ive tried almost everything i can think of so far, opened ports, switched bittorrent programs, etc, but im always stuck with a 10KB/s average download rate. So my question is, how are people who have 3mbit lines, like me, getting super high download rates compaired to mine?


Oh, also, ive taken the throughput tester at http://eng.nac.net/bwtest/ and its come up saying that my rate is at around 2721.32 Kbps


edit: Something weird just happened, downloading this file and all the sudden it shoots up to 140 kb/s, and its been stable for awhile now...then after a few min it almost instantly shoots back down to 0-10kB/s...urrgggg

Last edited by hamhalol; 2004-05-27 at 08:04.
hamhalol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 09:30   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamhalol
I dont get it..Supposadly, my (dsl) internet connection is 3mbit now, and i havnt noticed any differnce from the 700(ish)kbit before. I hear stories about how people who have 2-3mbit lines are downloading files at 100-300kB/s, but yet, im stuck at 10kB/s on average. Ive tried almost everything i can think of so far, opened ports, switched bittorrent programs, etc, but im always stuck with a 10KB/s average download rate. So my question is, how are people who have 3mbit lines, like me, getting super high download rates compaired to mine?


Oh, also, ive taken the throughput tester at http://eng.nac.net/bwtest/ and its come up saying that my rate is at around 2721.32 Kbps


edit: Something weird just happened, downloading this file and all the sudden it shoots up to 140 kb/s, and its been stable for awhile now...then after a few min it almost instantly shoots back down to 0-10kB/s...urrgggg
I'm not 3MBit guy myself (768/128), but I'll try to help. Possible reason for a slow speed:

1. Torrent problem: The torrent is too young/old, therefore only little to none peers are connected (Note that high seeds/peers does not necessarily equate high speed because the seeds could be using dial-up in the worst case, but as a rule of thumb: more seeds/peers= more speed)
2. Your client sucks Try Azureus.
3. The client is misconfigured: I.e. you got your upload speed wrong. Never ever let the client use up 100% of your upload because that will decrease your download speed (I'm too lazy to explain why atm ). How to get your ideal upload speed: Let's say you have 128 kbit/s upload. Divide this number by 8 and you got your upload speed in kb(ytes) which makes 16 kb/s. Now substract 3-4 kb/s and you got your ideal upload speed of 12-13. Note that you most likely won't reach these speeds, but something similar.
Next thing to point out: You most likely have a low upload speed (in comparison to the download speed). Therefore you cannot upload that much to be fully able to utilize your maximum bandwidth. There is not much you can do about but hope you get a nice torrent in which the people will upload to you regardless how much you upload (There are torrents that will give you 80+kb/s although you can't upload one mere byte - but these are rare ). If that does not help, report back with a better description of your client etc.
Good luck
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 15:11   Link #3
hamhalol
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
hmm, i switched to Azureus and im getting alot better speeds now. my average is now around 30-70 kB/s, not what i want, but its wayyyyy better than 10kB/s.

My peak today was at about 170 kB/s, which didnt stay for to long.

My upload speed is 768 kb, so i divided that by 8 and got 96, i set my max global upload to 91, Just now..and honestly, right now im getting better speeds than i ever have before. I think i know what my problem was with using the three last bittorrent clients i used, i had my upload to high. I remember seeing that my upload speeds where always going above 60-70 on two or three downloads, and i didnt know that this had an affect on my downloading.

Well Thanks alot for your answer ^^.

(Another question i have, how bad does the NAT router im behind at the phone company effect my overall downloads? If i switch to Static IP would this help me download at quicker speeds?)
hamhalol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 15:24   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamhalol
hmm, i switched to Azureus and im getting alot better speeds now. my average is now around 30-70 kB/s, not what i want, but its wayyyyy better than 10kB/s.

My peak today was at about 170 kB/s, which didnt stay for to long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamhalol
My upload speed is 768 kb, so i divided that by 8 and got 96, i set my max global upload to 91, Just now..and honestly, right now im getting better speeds than i ever have before. I think i know what my problem was with using the three last bittorrent clients i used, i had my upload to high. I remember seeing that my upload speeds where always going above 60-70 on two or three downloads, and i didnt know that this had an affect on my downloading.
Omg, you got as much as upload as I got download

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamhalol
Well Thanks alot for your answer ^^.

(Another question i have, how bad does the NAT router im behind at the phone company effect my overall downloads? If i switch to Static IP would this help me download at quicker speeds?)
Sorry, I can't give you any advices for NAT routers because I don't have one. But I can point you to a really nice Azureus guide written by a really cool guy (namely me). Click this
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 15:54   Link #5
hamhalol
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Thanks again ^^

Yea i didnt even think my upload speed was that high, infact, i didnt even know that my ISP increased my speed to 3mbit (i was using the same speeds as you for the last 6 years now) untill about four days ago (which they did back in march)..
hamhalol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.