AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-08-15, 10:49   Link #121
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipi-2
very strange , the speed wont go higher then 50kb/s
wich is low for me cuz im used to having the speed of 100+ at my old client and my max capability is a little over 200 kb/s but i get that only from the explorer or kazaa
any suggestions to get a higher speed?
There are so many different possibilities as to why you can't get a higher download speed. So without further ado:

1. Do you use any firewalls/routers. What is the Health of your torrents (the color of the smiley)
2. Is your upload capped: What is your maximum upload capacity and at which speed is it capped?
3. Are you downloading from well seeded torrents (=high swarm speed)? If not, try a Naruto torrent like Episode 95-96 from ANBU
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 11:46   Link #122
Zipi-2
God

Send a message via ICQ to Zipi-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
There are so many different possibilities as to why you can't get a higher download speed. So without further ado:

1. Do you use any firewalls/routers. What is the Health of your torrents (the color of the smiley)
2. Is your upload capped: What is your maximum upload capacity and at which speed is it capped?
3. Are you downloading from well seeded torrents (=high swarm speed)? If not, try a Naruto torrent like Episode 95-96 from ANBU

1. no, green.
2. my upload capability is 13 but still im seposed to get a speed of 100 + with such upload at my other client
3. yes it had about 300 seeders.
Zipi-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 13:07   Link #123
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!

Unhappy Nat problem?

Azureus is always talking about a nat problem when i am dling my anime. When i went to sourceforge to try to figure it out it just said change the server port and i did that many times and it is still saying the same thing. Can u help me on this.

PS Dled azureus yesterday
Old 2004-08-15, 13:29   Link #124
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

What do you mean with NAT error? An error that appears on the bottom right screen with a frog on it (talking about port 6969) or are you talking about the error you get while configuring Azureus with the Configuration Wizard (you'll get yellow Health if you attempt to download with Azureus).
If it's the first:
Click View-->Configuration:Tracker and disable Enable tracker on HTTP port by unchecking the box

If it's the latter, try this:

Go to www.whatismyip.com to find out the router's IP. Write that down.
After that we need to find out your real IP: Start Menu-->Run...-->type in cmd and some kinda DOS prompt will open. Then type in ipconfig and write down your IP.

After you've done that, open up another Internet Explorer window and type in the router's IP you wrote down beforehand in the address bar. That is the router configuration window (if you should be prompted to type in a password, try "admin". If that does not work, get someone who knows the password).

Now you got two options: The quick and easy (and not yet perfect) solution or the tedious but more effective solution.
You decide what you want to do:

Option 1:
Enabling UPnP

Look for something similar to "Enable UPnP Support" in the router configuration windows and enable it (Note that not all routers support UPnP but most do). After you've done this you need to tell Azureus to utilize the UPnP support (it's enabled by default but just to make sure): Go to Configuration:Plugins:UPnP and check Enable UPnP. Don't forget to save and that's it.
Advantages: Easy! You have to configure it only once and that's it.
Disadvantages: You need a router and a BT client that supports UPnP for this method to work. Currently Azureus and BitTornado are the only clients that I know of that support it (maybe BitComet too but I never used that client). Also, sometimes the speed is not as fast as it is by forwarding the ports.

Option 2:
Forwarding the ports

I'll reuse the pictures of Doppelganger's guide here since I do not have a router to post screenshots from (your router configuration window should look similar):

Private IP: Type in your IP
Private Port/Local Port: Type in 6881
Protocol Type: TCP

For the alternative:

Private IP: Type in your IP
Private Port/Local Port: Type in 6881
Protocol Type: TCP

IP range start/end: Type in your IP
Port range: Type in 6881

Advantages: Works with every router/client combo. Reliable.
Disadvantages: You need to type in your IP everytime you disconnect. (Assuming you have a dynamic IP)

EDIT: If the IPs you got from the method mentioned above do not work, try these "generic" IPs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
Back to the first question: If you do in fact have a router and you've tried the IP address you've gotten from www.whatismyip.com, there are some more addresses you can try:

http://192.168.0.1/
http://192.168.1.1/
http://192.168.100.1/

Also, ensure you type http:// with an ending / when entering the address from www.whatismyip.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipi-2
1. no, green.
2. my upload capability is 13 but still im seposed to get a speed of 100 + with such upload at my other client
3. yes it had about 300 seeders.
As far as I understand it, your Azureus is configured properly. If you don't get speeds of 100+ Kilobytes/second it's a swarm issue and has nothing to do with Azureus. Note, that your upload is low as well, so that might be the reason (you can however, achieve good speeds theoretically with a low upload or 0 KB/s upload by being connected to 300+ seeds only, but that's unlikely)
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-08-28 at 06:25.
Old 2004-08-15, 14:42   Link #125
CNF666

Is there a website where I can download the new Azureus without I having to go through the update and just dl the new one straight? I am still having trouble.

GamerTag: UnwishedFemto
CNF666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 14:58   Link #126
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Get Azureus 2.1.0.4 from here

Old 2004-08-15, 16:07   Link #127
MrMoron

Mr _Sin_, may I ask what should I do when I try to go to the router's IP address with Internet Explorer and it says that the page cannot be displayed? Or does this just mean that I can not configure my router or something?

And also, how can I find out what my router is? As in who manufacured it and what model it is.
MrMoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 16:44   Link #128
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoron
Mr _Sin_, may I ask what should I do when I try to go to the router's IP address with Internet Explorer and it says that the page cannot be displayed? Or does this just mean that I can not configure my router or something?

And also, how can I find out what my router is? As in who manufacured it and what model it is.
I'm not _Sin_, but I guess I can answer some questions.

The "The page cannot be displayed" message could be caused by 3 things:

1. You aren't connected to the router.
2. You haven't been asigned an IP by the router.
3. You aren't typing in the correct address.

Since you're connected to the internet, we can assume it's not the second reason.

Skipping ahead to the second question, check your router for a lable.

This label will give important information like your router's MAC address, serial number, and model number. If you can't find such a label on the unit itself, check the box it came in. If it doesn't have such a label, it is also possible that you have an Ethernet Switch. Ethernet switches do not provide NAT services and thus cannot be configured in any way that would be benificial to BitTorrent. You can tell if you have an enternet switch by looking at the back of the unit. If there is a port labeled "WAN" then you have a router. If all the ports are labeled with just number, you have a Switch.

This is a switch, all numbers:

This is a router, you can see "WAN":

Back to the first question: If you do in fact have a router and you've tried the IP address you've gotten from www.whatismyip.com, there are some more addresses you can try:

http://192.168.0.1/
http://192.168.1.1/
http://192.168.100.1/

Also, ensure you type http:// with an ending / when entering the address from www.whatismyip.com.
Old 2004-08-15, 17:21   Link #129
MrMoron

Ok, really sorry about my noobiness, but now Im confused. I have a shared HomePNA connection, a 2mb line shared by four apartments in my building. I believe we four have the same router and it's probably locked-up somewhere in the building. So I don't think I can have a look at the router at all, so I can't check out the label. Unless Im totally wrong here...

And I believe I made sure the IP was correctly typed in. Also, all of the IPs you linked refused to connect. Thanks for the help though, Im probably just doing something wrong myself...
Old 2004-08-15, 17:37   Link #130
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
I have a shared HomePNA connection, a 2mb line shared by four apartments in my building. I believe we four have the same router and it's probably locked-up somewhere in the building.
You're landlord probably won't like you messing around with the router, but you can ask them.

Surefire way to know your gateway's IP:

Open a command promp:
1. Point to your start menu and choose Run
2. Type "cmd.exe" without quotes ("command.exe" for Windows 95, 98, and ME).
3. Hit enter
4. Type "ipconfig /all" without quotes.
5. Hit enter

You should see something like this (I removed my MAC address to protect the guilty):

Check your IP Address. If it starts with 192.168.nnn.nnn then you are connected somehow to a router. If it starts with anything else, you are directly connected to the internet.

Default Gateway should be the address for your router. Theoretically, you should be able to connect to this address no mater what; however, you'll likely get a "401 Authorization Required" Error.
Old 2004-08-15, 19:06   Link #131
chuckly

Can anyone tell me how I can control how long I seed a file after Iíve finished downloading it in Azureus? I've got a symmetrical connection so I download and upload about equally, before I used BT++ as my client and it had an option to stop seeding after the download was complete, does such an option exist in Azureus or is there some way to control how long I seed a file after I've finished downloading it?

Thanks.
chuckly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 19:23   Link #132
MrMoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
Surefire way to know your gateway's IP:

Open a command promp:
1. Point to your start menu and choose Run
2. Type "cmd.exe" without quotes ("command.exe" for Windows 95, 98, and ME).
3. Hit enter
4. Type "ipconfig /all" without quotes.
5. Hit enter
Eh well, I get the IP address as 80.221.73.132, (same IP as Default Gateway, if that matters), so that should mean that Im directly connected, right? I only still get little yellow faces and 5kb download rates in Azureus, even when im connected to 50 seeds though.

Here's a (edited) pic of my ipconfig anyway, but it's in Finnish...
Spoiler for ipconfig:
Old 2004-08-15, 19:29   Link #133
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckly
Can anyone tell me how I can control how long I seed a file after Iíve finished downloading it in Azureus? I've got a symmetrical connection so I download and upload about equally, before I used BT++ as my client and it had an option to stop seeding after the download was complete, does such an option exist in Azureus or is there some way to control how long I seed a file after I've finished downloading it?

Thanks.
That's quite tricky, but it can be done if you want Azureus to stop after the torrent reached a specific Share Ratio (this method has not been tested, so I can't guarantee you that it will work).
Go to Configuration:Queue: Max simultaneous downloads and input a number with this formula: Simultanous downloads you want to have while seeding + the number of seeding torrents. You will have to do this sine we are going to use First Priority criteria which will take a download slot to upload if necessary. Input the same number in Max active torrents.

(1)
Now go to Configuration:Queue:First Priority, A share ratio under and choose your criteria when to start a torrent that you are seeding, i.e. the SR is below 0.5 or 2 etc.

(2)
If you've done that, go to Configuration:Seeding:Ignore rules and set the stop point of your seedings. Input the stop SR in Ignore torrents that have a share ratio of 1 : 1

That's what we have done effectively:

Torrents will start to seed if they have a SR of below 0.5 (Start point set at (1) ) and they will stop seeding when they have reached a SR of 1 (Stop point set at (2) ). Obviously you can mess with the numbers and modify them to work like you want to.

EDIT: chuckly, if you read this, tell me if it worked or not since I do not know if I should recommend this method to more people.

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-08-17 at 10:23. Reason: Last edited by _Sin_ : Today at 16:23.
Old 2004-08-18, 12:44   Link #134
chuckly

Sorry about the late reply, thanks very much for the help _Sin_. I'll try it out and let you know.
chuckly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 20:01   Link #135
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
Eh well, I get the IP address as 80.221.73.132, (same IP as Default Gateway, if that matters), so that should mean that Im directly connected, right?
I couldn't see the picture, but I dont guess it matters.

Try connecting to the address next to DNS Servers:

http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:80/

Obviously you'd want to replace the 'n's with the appropriate numbers. If that doesn't connect you to your router, I have no idea what would. You best bet is to call up your internet service provider or landlord.
Old 2004-08-22, 11:13   Link #136
MrMoron

The IP gave me a list of my Kazaa Lite shared files when it was running, strangely enough...

Also, I actually get a green face on Azureus when I run another bittorrent client (BitTorrent 3.2.1b CVS (experimental)) for the same torrent file at the same time. After the both clients have ran for a while Azureus gives the green face and I get a little better download speeds too. Any idea what's up with that?

Last edited by MrMoron; 2004-08-22 at 17:34.
Old 2004-08-24, 02:14   Link #137
TamaTurtle

is there a reason why javaw.exe is taking a big chunk of memory equal to 30,000?

and is there a way to make azureus minimize to systray only? (not shown on taskbar)

Last edited by TamaTurtle; 2004-08-24 at 02:36.
TamaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-24, 13:46   Link #138
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaTurtle
is there a reason why javaw.exe is taking a big chunk of memory equal to 30,000?
The Java Runtime Environment, javaw.exe is required by Azureus to run. Unfortunately, this is normal. Please see the first post in this thread for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaTurtle
and is there a way to make azureus minimize to systray only? (not shown on taskbar)
Choose "Configuration" from the view menu. Click "Interface" in the left pannel. Ensure the "Close minimizes to system tray" option is checked. Click "Save". Press the close (X) button.
Old 2004-08-26, 00:04   Link #139
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
Sorry to butt in, iam wondering, what are the advantages of Azureus over Torrentstorm? Because it seems that almost all the features Azureus has Torrentstorm has.
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 00:31   Link #140
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
I haven't read the whole thread, so I may be repeating something other people have mentioned already.
Aside from the features listed in the first post of the thread, there are some stuff I find useful myself, such as...
- ability to let it start seeding when something has 0 seeds and has peers waiting, then quit seeding when other seeds show up (useful when I want to keep my group's BT well-seeded)
- WebUI just rocks my world - I thought ABC's web interface was nice... but Azu's WebUI is much better.
- It only grabs 1 port - a nice feature to have when I'm behind a router

But then again, just because people say Azureus is excellent does not mean you have to convert either. If you're happy with what you have, and working well, then I'd say stick with Torrentstorm. If you feel curious or adventurous, then be our game, and try Azureus out!
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outdated guide, wiki candidate