AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-30, 15:02   Link #1
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur

Need Kanako Hosokawa info ^_^

I originally asked about her here:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...t=10623&page=2

But figured it would be easier to have a thread about her, rather than ask in a thread not really related to her...

Please help answer any of these questions for me ^__^

What book does she first appear in?
Which chapters in the books does she show up?

Summarize any of her stories for me.
How does she first meet Yumi?
Does she get along with Tokko?

Is it likely she will be in Season 2? I have heard no mention of her yet.

Has her birthday been given yet?

How tall is she? (she looks really tall!!)

Spoiler:

I think that's all my questions right now (but may have more later ^_^)

Thank You!
Old 2004-05-30, 17:22   Link #2
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

I don't know a lot about the novels, but from what I do know...

Spoiler:

Hope that helps...
Old 2004-05-30, 18:02   Link #3
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gaffney
I don't know a lot about the novels, but from what I do know...

Spoiler:

Hope that helps...
Ah, thank you... ^__^

Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-01, 14:11   Link #4
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Sure, no problem.

Hosokawa Kanako makes her first appearance in Vol. 14 - "Suzukaze Satsusatsu"

Currently known aspects of Kanako:

Vol. 14 - "Suzukaze Satsusatsu"
1. Kanako is an avid admirer of Yumi

2. ...to the extent of being a stalker

3. Unlike Sachiko who is only unfortable being around men, Kanako despises all men

4. Not much is known why Kanako despises men, but it maybe hinted that it has something to do with her father with the quote "I refuse to call that man as my father"

5. Kanako is in the same classroom as Nijou Noriko and Matsudaira Taiko (First Year, Tsubaki Class)

6. Kanako is also somewhat of a loner

7. Kanako especially does not get along Touko - they are at total opposite ends of the spectrum

8. Kanako also stalked any men who befriends Yumi (current Hanadera Student Body members, Kashiwagi Suguru, even Fukuzawa Yuuki)

9. Tsutako-san realizes that among her photos that she took of Yumi, she noticed the same girl (Kanako) was always near Yumi

10. Tsutako-san sensing something very awkward, gives these photos to Yumi and tells her to be cautious.

11. Rumors then inflate even further when Kanako and Yumi get into somewhat of an argument in paying for bread in the cafeteria

12. Touko approaches Yumi to warn her about Kanako...and a subtle quote from Touko, "She is just selfish, believing that she is the only person in the world with problems. Yumi-sama, her past involves..." which Yumi cut her off to refuse to listen as it is an invasion of personal privacy. It is also hinted here that Kanako is an avid admirer of Yumi, but does not want to be her petit soeur even if chosen

13. Yumi then calls for Kanako to have a one-and-one discussion at the greenhouse for her actions

14. During the discussion, Kanako gets hysterical that "Yumi-sama is like this rose - you must be protected in this greenhouse, free from all impurity of the outside world!! If you go to Hanadera, all men would come after you like hungry wolves to devour you!!" When Yumi disagrees with Kanako in her portrayal of herself and men, Kanako gets psychotic to the point "I am deeply upset that even you, Yumi-sama, say such things!! Well, it is you fault for giving us (meaning Yumi's fans) Yumi-sama's image at the welcoming ceremony!! It is now your responsibility to keep that portrayal of purity for our sake!!"

15. Which at the time, Sachiko is at the door of the greenhouse - gives Kanako a very harsh look and in a deep angry tone of voice "What irresponsible things you say. You create an image of somewhat that you don't know, you find out that she wasn't at all like your image, and you go off nudging your responsibility to others? To be doing something that is one step shy of being a crime? I then say directly to you: I despise you."
Old 2004-06-01, 15:21   Link #5
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur

kj1980!!! Thanks so much!!! That was more information that I expected. ^__^

If Kanako doesn't show up until volume 14, I doubt she will show up in Season 2 (if it has only 13 episodes) especially since I read they were already going to show some stories from novels already aired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko
I despise you!
>__> That's too cruel. Kanako may have been upset with Yumi, but I don't think it warranted that remark to Kanako. Especially since Yumi+Kanako's conversation was none of Sachiko's business.

(I do believe Sachiko just became my most dis-liked rose) ; _ ;
Old 2004-06-01, 16:27   Link #6
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei's Cookies
>__> That's too cruel. Kanako may have been upset with Yumi, but I don't think it warranted that remark to Kanako. Especially since Yumi+Kanako's conversation was none of Sachiko's business.
Yes, but Kanako's actions (and words) were a bit extreme, too.
Far much more that what i imagined when i first learned about her being a stalker...
But I still hope she will be the one picked by Yumi. I hate Touko, and Kanako needs some good parenting. ^^
And it will reinforce Yumi's role in the Red rose family, being forced to "fill the bridge" between Sachiko and Kanako.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei's Cookies
(I do believe Sachiko just became my most dis-liked rose) ; _ ;
Nooooo, please, don't say thaaaaaat...
lol.
It's just Sachiko being protective with her younger sister. I think it's kinda cute. ^^
Old 2004-06-01, 16:55   Link #7
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur

Yes, but Kanako has some sort of emotional trauma. Although I don't know what it is (Tokko seems to know) Not that that excuses all of Kanako's actions, but people like her, you need to treat more gentle than others.

It seems cruel for someone to come up out of nowhere and basically say that they hate you (like Sachiko did) I think Sachiko could have made her point about Kanako without having to say that.

I do like your idea of Yumi taking Kanako as a soeur to patch up feelings, but kj1980 said that Kanako didnt want to be her soeur.

Oh well.. I'm glad to have learned so much about Kanako. I wonder if we will ever learn about her trauma though.
Old 2004-06-01, 18:20   Link #8
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth
I hate Touko, and Kanako needs some good parenting.
Actually, as you read on, Touko is one of the characters that grows upon you. She certainly did make an impression in "Cherry Blossom," and she certainly did make Yumi cry in "Rainy Blue." But as Yoshino says, "I can't choose Touko as my own soeur - her character is the same as mine."

And it is pretty amusing to see Yumi and Touko's conversations:

Several days after Touko gave a strong comment "Yumi-sama, you are not fit to be Sachiko-sama's soeur":

Touko: "So, Yumi-sama, have you thought about what I said?"
Yumi: "Touko-chan, would you like to help around the Yamayurikai for a while?"
Touko: "What the..."
Yumi: "We could definitely use some help since we need a helping hand"
Touko: "Yumi-sama, how in the heck did you jump from my comment to this idea?"

or:
Touko: "That is the aspect that I don't like about you Yumi-sama"
Yumi: "Does that mean you like other aspects of me?"
Touko: "What the..."
Yumi: "aww, come on, don't be shy"
Touko: "er...I'm not going to speak to you anymore"
Yumi: "sniff sniff, I am lonely because Touko-chan isn't going to speak with me"
Touko: "....I give up. What is it Yumi-sama?"

It is funny to see a dose of Sei-sama inside Yumi when she is with Touko.
Old 2004-06-01, 23:54   Link #9
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
15. Which at the time, Sachiko is at the door of the greenhouse - gives Kanako a very harsh look and in a deep angry tone of voice "What irresponsible things you say. You create an image of somewhat that you don't know, you find out that she wasn't at all like your image, and you go off nudging your responsibility to others? To be doing something that is one step shy of being a crime? I then say directly to you: I despise you."
This seems very in character of Sachiko to say. She expressed similar sentiments over all the Valentine's chocolate she was given. As she said, unreciprocated gifts are just a nuisance. The girls who gave her the chocolate admire the image they have of Sachiko, rather than Sachiko as she actually is, because they never actually got to know her personally. So Sachiko's left with this vague sense of responsibility for being seen as something that she wasn't over no fault of her own.

I do agree though that "despise" is a bit too harsh of a word to use. The fact that this is happening to Yumi, her beloved petite soeur, probably made her overreact a bit. Like Ialdaboth said, she's just been protective of Yumi.

One other thing about Kanako... I don't know if it's just me, but Kanako reminds me strongly of Mariko from Onii-sama e. Her "hatred" of men, her issues with her father/family, her obsessive stalking of the main character (Yumi/Nanako).
Old 2004-06-02, 02:38   Link #10
lordwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by atua
One other thing about Kanako... I don't know if it's just me, but Kanako reminds me strongly of Mariko from Onii-sama e. Her "hatred" of men, her issues with her father/family, her obsessive stalking of the main character (Yumi/Nanako).
Actually, now you mention it, there are some resemblance between the two. Both of them speak very straight-forward and are always true to their hearts. Mariko is far more dramatic than Kanako though.
Old 2004-06-02, 05:22   Link #11
Ialdaboth

Quote:
It is funny to see a dose of Sei-sama inside Yumi when she is with Touko.

Ooooh I really really really *want* to see that. ^^;

Quote:
I do agree though that "despise" is a bit too harsh of a word to use. The fact that this is happening to Yumi, her beloved petite soeur, probably made her overreact a bit. Like Ialdaboth said, she's just been protective of Yumi.
^^
And we all have seen how Sachiko was already protective whenever Sei approched Yumi in the first season. And Sei was a friend of her, not a total stranger.

And Kanako as Mariko...
Mariko was an interesting character in Onisama e, who seemed quite realistic and "believable". And if lordwu says that Kanako is less "dramatic" (but isn't Onisama e being "dramatic" the point of the series ? ^_^), then her principal character flaw - or the most tiring one for the spectator - would have disappeared.

(I have an idea : if the red rose family have too much candidates, why not lend up one of them to the white rose ? ^^)
Old 2004-06-02, 10:26   Link #12
Sharkbark
Annoying Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Sharkbark
This is sort of off topic, but have we heard anything about Yoshino´s petite souer yet? Shimako picks one right away, Yumi has two candidates, but Yoshino gets nothing. I think it would be pretty funny to see Yoshino in a big sister roll XD
Old 2004-06-02, 11:35   Link #13
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbark
This is sort of off topic, but have we heard anything about Yoshino´s petite souer yet? Shimako picks one right away, Yumi has two candidates, but Yoshino gets nothing. I think it would be pretty funny to see Yoshino in a big sister roll XD
Actually, that is Yoshino's dillemma since she made a pledged the former Rosa Foetida - Torii Eriko in Vol. 15 "Ready, Go!"

As always, Yoshino words comes out before her head and professed that she will find a soeur by Lillian's upcoming Cultural Event, which is in November.

But of course, there is no one that is suited to be her soeur yet. Although, during the class trip to Italy, she was searching for a rosario just in case someone suitable may show up...
Old 2004-06-02, 12:30   Link #14
atua

OT: Rosario

Quote:
Although, during the class trip to Italy, she was searching for a rosario just in case someone suitable may show up...
Why was she searching for a rosario? I always thought that the Rosas hand down their rosario, from grande soeur to petite soeur, like the way that an heirloom gets handed down from mother to daughter. Or have I got it completely wrong, and the grande soeur just buy a new one to give to their (potential) petite soeur?

I certainly hope that this is not the case. It just doesn't seem as meaningful or as "romantic" if there's a few different sets of rosario in each Rosa family. Sharing the responsibility of owning a single rosario is one tangible way to connect all the "generations" of a single rose family.
Old 2004-06-02, 12:58   Link #15
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:

Why was she searching for a rosario? I always thought that the Rosas hand down their rosario, from grande soeur to petite soeur, like the way that an heirloom gets handed down from mother to daughter. Or have I got it completely wrong, and the grande soeur just buy a new one to give to their (potential) petite soeur?

I certainly hope that this is not the case. It just doesn't seem as meaningful or as "romantic" if there's a few different sets of rosario in each Rosa family. Sharing the responsibility of owning a single rosario is one tangible way to connect all the "generations" of a single rose family.
This is explained in in more detail in Vol. 17 "Ciao Sorella!" Each soeur is different - some hand down their rosarios from each soeur to the next as a "generational tradition," while some buy a rosario each time to initiate a more "personal relationship."

So in the case of Rosa Chinensis family: Youko gave her rosario to Sachiko, which in turn Sachiko gave that rosario to Yumi

But in the case of Rosa Foetida family: Rei still has the rosario that was given to her by Eriko, Rei bought a rosario and gave that to Yoshino.
Old 2004-06-02, 13:03   Link #16
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur

For me, I like the idea of picking out a rosary to give better, than keep handing down the same one.

It's like girls in the beauty contests have to give their crown back at the end of the year. I don't like that, I like the idea of people having keepsakes.

And since Yoshino doesn't seem to have a rosary to give, rosarys don't seem to be required at Lillian. To me it seems just a tradition students started (sort of like a class ring~ everyone gets there own, but girls who have boyfriends usually get the boyfriends as well) but at this school it goes further and every year the personal(purchased) 'class ring' is given to another girl.

Like:
soeur--------------------keep rosary-------------------------give rosary

Eriko---------(Eriko's big sisters personal)------------------(Erikos personal)
Rei-------(Eriko's personal)--------------------------------(Reis personal)
Yoshino-----------(Rei's personal)------------------ (Yoshino's personal)
etc......

Even though this is just my opinion, I don't know this is how it's done, but I think the idea of keeping the rosary your big-soeur gives you is much more sweet and romantic than having to give it away...especially for when the girls get older...it's a nice idea to have them able to pull out there rosarys that their big sis had given them, and remember being at Lillian. ^__^

Last edited by Rei's Cookies; 2004-06-02 at 14:09.
Old 2004-06-02, 13:05   Link #17
Rei's Cookies
Rei little soeur

Quote:

But in the case of Rosa Foetida family: Rei still has the rosario that was given to her by Eriko, Rei bought a rosario and gave that to Yoshino.

Yay! Rei has sentiment!!! I love her even more!!! ^____^
Old 2004-06-02, 16:53   Link #18
atua

Quote:
This is explained in in more detail in Vol. 17 "Ciao Sorella!" Each soeur is different - some hand down their rosarios from each soeur to the next as a "generational tradition," while some buy a rosario each time to initiate a more "personal relationship."
For the sake of completeness, did it mention how the Rosa Gigantea family handles this?

Quote:
It's lucky for Yoshino that this is how things are done in the Rosa Foetida family. I was wondering how Yoshino could ever bear to part with the rosario that her beloved onee-sama Rei gave her.

Seriously though, I stand by what I said earlier about the fact that I think it's more meaningful when the rosario is passed down. As an example, I think that it would say a great deal about Yoshino's feelings if she had to give Rei's rosario to her petite soeur. That is, that Yoshino cares about someone (other than Rei) enough, such that she would be willing to give up something that's clearly important to her.
Old 2004-06-02, 18:39   Link #19
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
For the sake of completeness, did it mention how the Rosa Gigantea family handles this?
This is clearly shown in Vol. 8 "Itoshiki Saigetsu (kouhen)" that Sei gives her rosario to Shimako - but instead of over the head, she wraps it around her wrist

Then, in Vol. 10 "Rainy Blue," Shimako gives that rosario to Noriko - once again around her wrist.
Old 2004-06-02, 21:11   Link #20
Sweets Yumi
Queen Marimite ~♥~

Had Shimako continued to wear the rosario around her wrist after Sei had given it to her? Or was it just for the moment she was given it?

Either way, it seems a lovely thought.
Closed Thread