AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-11, 23:35   Link #401
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
I just reread chapter one. I didn't notice before, but Luffy mentions that a crew of ten would be about all he needs. Anyone think Oda is gonna hold to that count?
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 07:56   Link #402
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
I just reread chapter one. I didn't notice before, but Luffy mentions that a crew of ten would be about all he needs. Anyone think Oda is gonna hold to that count?
Even then, if someone with strawhats qualities ask luffy if they could join I doubt luffy will refuse 10 is all he needs, he might actively stop seeking more recruits but not refuse anyone asking nicely to be a crewmate.
__________________
deltaxxmintpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-12, 11:52   Link #403
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
I'm asking from an out of story perspective, not an in story one. Luffy would probably be fine with a crew of a few thousand if people really wanted to join. I have no doubts about that.

What I'm asking is, do people think Oda will stop adding people once the crew hits 11 people (Luffy + 10 others)?
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 18:51   Link #404
Lord Uiruu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
I wouldn't know about jealousy, but I bet Robin would have feelings of distrust on Boa Hancock since Robin knows about the shichibukai through Crocodile.
similar to the distrust everyone gave Robin? Which, btw, is over because they risked their lives and waged war on the entire world to save her. This is my top five list of possible crewmembers in order of the likeliness.

1. Hancock. she's probably fired from the Shichibukai.....
2. Ace. Now that he's free. also, Whitebeard is (obviously) very injured and as such I feel it is very likely that the crew will be disbanded until Whitebeard get's better. Well, that's only if WB doesn't die. Ace is probably gonna join... thats why he's the second on my list.
3. Mr. 2 Bon Kurei, a.k.a. his real name Bentham, if he hasn't been killed by Magellan, might be surviving and possibly make a guest appearance at Marineford. He'd be number 1, but there's still the probability that he died. If he is dead, I'd be surprised frankly. It isn't like Oda to kill off such an important main character. (Like when Ace was going to die 3 times but didn't, or Luffy when fighting Lucci, or Buggy after the lightningbolt in Loguetown, I could go on)
4. Buggy/Crocodile. Very small chance. But since they're allies in Marineford........... I don't know. 4 and 5 on this list I sincerly believe will not join, but there is like a 2% chance that they might.
5. Marguerite. Hugely small chance.
Lord Uiruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 20:24   Link #405
striderm
Adusa #1
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I think they'll still get a new Fishman character once the crew finally gets back together and they head down to Fishman Island.

Luffy got the shipwright he wanted. He got the musician he wanted. Then there's the next logical step. Well storywise I guess.
striderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 20:44   Link #406
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Konoha
Age: 24
Spoiler for chapter 572:
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------
(\_/) Copy this bunny to your sigature
(Oo) to help him acheive world domination!
( W)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
yaluckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 21:05   Link #407
striderm
Adusa #1
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The thing is though that Luffy still wants to surpass him. And Ace still really sees Luffy as a rival in the pirate world. So unless things change dramatically I can't really see him joining. There's gonna be a lot of guys from Whitebeard's crew that'll follow Ace.
striderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 23:16   Link #408
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaluckyboy View Post
Spoiler for chapter 572:
It means they're brothers that are used to fighting together. Ace will not be joining. Will not. Ever. Ace is one of the few people Luffy would never accept in his crew.

I'm still hoping for Boa. >_>
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 05:34   Link #409
Tenryuken
Pirate God
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In My Own World.
Age: 28
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by striderm View Post
The thing is though that Luffy still wants to surpass him. And Ace still really sees Luffy as a rival in the pirate world. So unless things change dramatically I can't really see him joining. There's gonna be a lot of guys from Whitebeard's crew that'll follow Ace.
He may join but not permanently.
He will prolly help Luffy retrieve his scattered Nakamas.
__________________
Tenryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 07:57   Link #410
Crimson Reaper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Since Fishman Island has been such a big deal for so long now it's almost a guarantee that it'll be there Luffy picks up a new Mermaid/Fishman crewmember. Although I still think one final female crewmember is on the cards as well, but again that goes with a Mermaid.

All in all it could be said that we've yet to meet the next/last crewmember at all and these ideas planted in our heads about Boa/Buggy/Bon Clay/etc joining is just Oda's way of keeping us on the edge.

Right now my theory is Jinbei will lead Luffy and the rejoined gang to Fishman Island, put them on good terms with the locals and maybe even introduce the new crew mate himself as one of his friends.
Crimson Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 11:36   Link #411
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Konoha
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
It means they're brothers that are used to fighting together. Ace will not be joining. Will not. Ever. Ace is one of the few people Luffy would never accept in his crew.

I'm still hoping for Boa. >_>
I was originally sceptical at the thought of Ace joining, but things in the Manga just keep pushing and pushing to that idea. I mean if Whitebeard dies or disbands the crew (this is becoming more and more likely) then Ace will need a new crew to join and I am sure Luffy would gladly offer a position on his crew.

If this happens, it would deffinately cause many comical situations like the two brothers fighting on what to do next and who is in charge. (not like a mutiny, but the way brothers fight over the smallest details) Or the two of them joining in on ridiculous anttics like they would when they were little kids.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------
(\_/) Copy this bunny to your sigature
(Oo) to help him acheive world domination!
( W)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
yaluckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 12:09   Link #412
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
I'm asking from an out of story perspective, not an in story one. Luffy would probably be fine with a crew of a few thousand if people really wanted to join. I have no doubts about that.

What I'm asking is, do people think Oda will stop adding people once the crew hits 11 people (Luffy + 10 others)?
Juggling 10 + 1 characters is already hard enough, especially since it requires the creation of sufficient character development for each character, as well as new villains that each character can fight during the course of any arc (If the D-Team (Chopper, Nami and Usopp) get reduced to just fighting fodder and not named villains, then I would be very upset). So, I find it hard to believe that Oda would go too far afield of his initial pledge of 10 + 1.

Besides, there are still 2 more spots to be filled before we need to worry about this possibility.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 13:16   Link #413
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
I have an idea. What about a person who is half Merman and half human? With their mixed blood status a person has to be tough to stand up to the constant abuse and mistreatment, and you can easily satisfy the tramatic past requirement as this practically screams for it. As for the dream, how about trying to bring an end to the descrimination? Maybe that's too idealistic for joining the crew.


Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Juggling 10 + 1 characters is already hard enough, especially since it requires the creation of sufficient character development for each character, as well as new villains that each character can fight during the course of any arc (If the D-Team (Chopper, Nami and Usopp) get reduced to just fighting fodder and not named villains, then I would be very upset). So, I find it hard to believe that Oda would go too far afield of his initial pledge of 10 + 1.
I understand that those three are the weakest of the crew, and I too would be upset if they get reduced, but is there a reason why you said D-Team?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 13:26   Link #414
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I understand that those three are the weakest of the crew, and I too would be upset if they get reduced, but is there a reason why you said D-Team?
Well, they are the weakest members of the Strawhat crew...

Based purely on strength
A-Team - Luffy, Sanji and Zoro
B-Team - Franky
C-Team - Brooke, Robin and sometimes Chopper*
D-Team - Nami, Usopp and Chopper

*I am never sure where to place Chopper...

Oda has always been able to cross the "team" lines by having weird battles or having various members help each other in their respective battles. If Oda adds too many crew members, though, this balance could be destroyed.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 14:03   Link #415
Prestige
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Grand Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Well, they are the weakest members of the Strawhat crew...

Based purely on strength
A-Team - Luffy, Sanji and Zoro
B-Team - Franky
C-Team - Brooke, Robin and sometimes Chopper*
D-Team - Nami, Usopp and Chopper

*I am never sure where to place Chopper...

Oda has always been able to cross the "team" lines by having weird battles or having various members help each other in their respective battles. If Oda adds too many crew members, though, this balance could be destroyed.
I really like Strawhat team battles, Oz fight was just super fun. 1 on 1 duels might be epic and show charecters strenght in better detail but I really enjoy when crew fights as team even if its only 2 strawhats fighting together.

I think Oda can handle 10 man crew easily, he just dont have to do it with Enies Lobby style where almost everyone had 1on1 match. He could have some members to have 1on1 matches and give others team battles.
Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 14:17   Link #416
Tenryuken
Pirate God
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In My Own World.
Age: 28
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
A-Team - Luffy, Sanji and Zoro
B-Team - Franky
C-Team - Brooke, Robin and sometimes Chopper*
D-Team - Nami, Usopp and Chopper
Franky > Sanji.
__________________
Tenryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 14:30   Link #417
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenryuken View Post
Franky > Sanji.
Try not to strain your back; because that is an overwhelming amount of BS you are shoveling there.

This is not really the place for such a discussion (not that I would likely take part in such a discussion anyway)...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 14:50   Link #418
Tenryuken
Pirate God
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In My Own World.
Age: 28
It is a fact, notting in the manga proved that Sanji > Francky.
It's just Fanwank.
__________________
Tenryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 14:55   Link #419
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenryuken View Post
It is a fact, notting in the manga proved that Sanji > Francky.
It's just Fanwank.
But, using your logic would also imply that Franky isn't greater than Sanji...which would mean your initial post is BS...

Besides, the manga quite clearly stated the respective power levels (and arguably rankings) of the individual Strawhat crew circa Enies Lobby. Your refusal to accept the specific numbers and fights that Oda presented is your own problem, don't try and drag the rest of us down with you...

I clarified the matter, provided the specific arc that ranked the Strawhat crew, now I am finished. Do what you want, but try not to strain yourself too much...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 15:05   Link #420
Tenryuken
Pirate God
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In My Own World.
Age: 28
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
But, using your logic would also imply that Franky isn't greater than Sanji...which would mean your initial post is BS...
Nope.
Matching what they can individual do, Francky clearly outclasses Sanji.

Quote:
Besides, the manga quite clearly stated the respective power levels (and arguably rankings) of the individual Strawhat crew circa Enies Lobby.
the rankings at that time were:
Base Luffy = Franky
Base Luffy > Sanji
Powerscaling, Franky > Sanji

Quote:
Your refusal to accept the specific numbers and fights that Oda presented is your own problem
Wich fights?

Quote:
don't try and drag the rest of us down with you...
It is hopeless to try to resist the Darkside...

Quote:
I clarified the matter, provided the specific arc that ranked the Strawhat crew, now I am finished. Do what you want, but try not to strain yourself too much...
thx for the info, lol.
__________________
Tenryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.