AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-09, 11:43   Link #3981
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I am looking into something called Big Bang Age, is it any good?

Elisen I heard is good, but people tell me is really short.

Gadget Trial - is that all robot girls? o_O Not sure what kind of personality the story have.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 13:04   Link #3982
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 33
I've played Big Bang Age a bit, but I don't think I understand it yet.
All the battles I've encountered were pretty easy, unless I left my weakest chars alone to fight a boss.
Every now and then the scope widens. First you fight for the school, then neighbouring schools, then ultimately Japan.
But that happened so fast, I fear I might be halfway through the game already and nothing much happened yet.

Apart from that (and keeping in mind I haven't played it much yet) it's a pretty good game. More about managing your forces, than about battle strategy. Some nice characters.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 16:37   Link #3983
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I'm also playing LxC2 now and doing Hime's route. The budding romance strongly resembles how it went with that red-haired girl's route in LxC1, whose name I can't believe I forgot since she was my favorite girl there. She was adorable when their romance started budding.
__________________
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 17:06   Link #3984
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 28
One route done in Yumeiro Alouette and first off my majojr complaints:
Spoiler for rants and Suzume's route:
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 18:17   Link #3985
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
I'm also playing LxC2 now and doing Hime's route. The budding romance strongly resembles how it went with that red-haired girl's route in LxC1, whose name I can't believe I forgot since she was my favorite girl there. She was adorable when their romance started budding.
What is LxC2?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 18:34   Link #3986
hyl
smile
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Lovely x cation 2
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 19:43   Link #3987
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
I've played Big Bang Age a bit, but I don't think I understand it yet.
All the battles I've encountered were pretty easy, unless I left my weakest chars alone to fight a boss.
Every now and then the scope widens. First you fight for the school, then neighbouring schools, then ultimately Japan.
But that happened so fast, I fear I might be halfway through the game already and nothing much happened yet.

Apart from that (and keeping in mind I haven't played it much yet) it's a pretty good game. More about managing your forces, than about battle strategy. Some nice characters.
What kind of plot is it? is it just school vs school martial art w. magic? Or is a more in-depth plot of some kind?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 20:36   Link #3988
Snuffle
likes cute things
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Searching for more imoutos
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
What kind of plot is it? is it just school vs school martial art w. magic? Or is a more in-depth plot of some kind?
It's pretty much what you said, you're not really going to find anything at Kamidori's level of gameplay, customization and story in any other English translated VN game out there unfortunately. BBA is pretty much like Sengoku Rance, minus all the sexual abuse the MC does to the heroines and other girls. Although, it does have some of it every now and then, depending on your choices, it's done by some random dudes thankfully.

The strategy in the battles are really easy to figure out, so the learning curve isn't too steep. One thing I didn't like though, was that you had to station a large portion of your units around the map just so you can maintain control of the land you've conqured, while very few (your favorite units) will be taking part in most battles. The problem I had with this is that for about 80% of the game, those units are doing nothing besides helping you with your income... They're characters that can fight and talk with, so why am I not using them in battle more??? Sengoku Rance doesn't do this, just conquer, and move on.

Tears of Tiara I felt the same way as you pretty much. I couldn't continue playing that game even though it seems to show a promising customization system, I just couldn't stand the battles, and the characters didn't really click with me.
Gadget Trial I felt was pretty darn awful, the combat was too tedious for me.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 21:10   Link #3989
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Oh, I don't expect Kamdori, but the whole martial art with magic between schools is way too over played these days. To expect good story and good game play is tough.

I am trying Demonbane and G String Maou right now...people claim it is a good VN to rival Tsukihime...so lets see.

Because I am truly gave up expecting a good medieval strat game now.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 00:15   Link #3990
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
I am trying Demonbane and G String Maou right now...people claim it is a good VN to rival Tsukihime...so lets see.
Rival? Not that hard, since Tsukihime is great but not great enough for people to say that something else rivals it and so on. Not trying to put down G Senjou, cause I read lots of praise for it.

If it says it can rival say MuvLuv Alternative, then THAT's an achievement.
__________________
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 10:55   Link #3991
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Rival? Not that hard, since Tsukihime is great but not great enough for people to say that something else rivals it and so on. Not trying to put down G Senjou, cause I read lots of praise for it.

If it says it can rival say MuvLuv Alternative, then THAT's an achievement.
Oh no, Tsukihime/Fate isn't that amazing, but it is a very high Bar for Eroge to cross in term of story writing. I actually got excited reading the story, and like it more for the story than any hentai content.

Not many eroge can match that.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 10:56   Link #3992
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portugal
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
If it says it can rival say MuvLuv Alternative, then THAT's an achievement.
Is MuvLuv Alternative REALLY that good? I've seen a couple people praising it like it's the Jesus of VNs, but I couldn't even get past the school life segment in the first MuvLuv game thanks to how annoying every character is...
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 11:06   Link #3993
hyl
smile
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I think it's very subjective. Some might prefer darker or more complex stories, while others like a good drama, tragedy, comedy or a lighthearted romance.
No matter how well it's written (like Tsukihime and Muv-Luv Alternative), some people don't like certain stories and each person probably has their own "standard" for the best written eroges.

Edit:Come to think of it, I see quite often that people pick the games made by Key and Type moon as their "standard"....

Last edited by hyl; 2013-05-10 at 11:31.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 11:44   Link #3994
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 28
I completed Yumeiro Alouette and looking past the huge flaw called sidecast, as I metnioned already, it was actually enjoyable. There wasn't really that much icha-icha unfortunately. The dramas were no novelty, so only one drama-genre had an actual "impact" to me. Really, I think I have grown extremly tired of non-name classmates trying to "kill" a MC with jealousy or those so-called "private" talks where he gets dragged away, heck in this case they even tried to seriously injure him in one route. And that's where it was definitely no fun, but simply s*umbag behavior. Heck, I skipped most dialogues where it got stupid.
The Alouette route progressed differently than I expected it of which I'm still unsure if it's good or bad The route itself was heavily based on Suzume's route thus a good part could be fast-forwarded. It had one nice surprise, but the huge "revelation" was somehow average.
The choice selection resolved only around whether to click on the pendant when it started to glow or ignore it. Strangely, while it was important for the route selection, it had no direct consequences/changes in the next few lines.
For the non-spoilers, lastly the MC: He was sadly 90 % a major hetare and got pushed around a lot. As I also mentioned in my former post, he's completely useless at school and is only good at home cooking and track & field/running, though he mostly skips training of the latter.

Spoiler for Route comments:


Mahou's favorite route order: Asahi's (to my own surprise) > Mihane = Suzume > Alouette > Yuzuki (mainly due to the - to me -stupid drama)
Personal conclusion: Nice OST, cute characters in Mihane during her route(!), Suzume, Hibari and Yuzuki. A horrible sidecast with their treatment towards Kaname despite him being mostly useless (which didn't help obviously). The premisse of a wish-granting pedant was only in a sober sense true, though.
Trying before buying!
__________________
Diablo 3 Battletag: Mahou#2744 Visual Novel Addict
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 18:47   Link #3995
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I think it's very subjective. Some might prefer darker or more complex stories, while others like a good drama, tragedy, comedy or a lighthearted romance.
No matter how well it's written (like Tsukihime and Muv-Luv Alternative), some people don't like certain stories and each person probably has their own "standard" for the best written eroges.

Edit:Come to think of it, I see quite often that people pick the games made by Key and Type moon as their "standard"....
That is because most Eroge are of the following brand:

1) Just plain pic and click

2) Some kind of mini game then pic and click (SEE: Ace of Spades)

3) A dating sim of dubious value, just up your score until sex

4) Another game of some kind that reward you with sex.

So when type Moon broke the trend and wrote a novel rival Lord of Rings (at least for word count-you can debate quality), where sex is tastefully done or secondary to the plot, that is why it is consider the gold standard.

Is it amazing or godly? Not really. But it is a refreshing change from most eroges that absolutely devoid of plot.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 21:45   Link #3996
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Tsukihime was famous because it was a great story with lots of backstory and lore made by a couple of broke guys and the resulting quality rivaled that of commercial productions.
__________________
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 22:03   Link #3997
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
That is because most Eroge are of the following brand:

1) Just plain pic and click

2) Some kind of mini game then pic and click (SEE: Ace of Spades)

3) A dating sim of dubious value, just up your score until sex

4) Another game of some kind that reward you with sex.

So when type Moon broke the trend and wrote a novel rival Lord of Rings (at least for word count-you can debate quality), where sex is tastefully done or secondary to the plot, that is why it is consider the gold standard.

Is it amazing or godly? Not really. But it is a refreshing change from most eroges that absolutely devoid of plot.
Sorry, I cannot agree with this. There are so many mind-blowing eroge out there that's not just your everyday Nukige
Tsukihime is of course a great game but it's not hard to find something to 'rival' it
Of course, like what hyl said, preferences can be subjective
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 00:27   Link #3998
Kirayuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Sorry, I cannot agree with this. There are so many mind-blowing eroge out there that's not just your everyday Nukige
Tsukihime is of course a great game but it's not hard to find something to 'rival' it
Of course, like what hyl said, preferences can be subjective
I think what he meant is "most eroges before 2000", which is the year before Tsukihime was released. It was arguably hard to find a better work than Tsukihime at that time. Of course preferences may vary too, but I think the complex plot is what caused it getting more attention and arguably better reception than the most. At least during that time, the only other comparable work was probably Urobuchi's Phantom of Inferno which was released in the same year.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:37   Link #3999
hyl
smile
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
I think what he meant is "most eroges before 2000", which is the year before Tsukihime was released. It was arguably hard to find a better work than Tsukihime at that time. Of course preferences may vary too, but I think the complex plot is what caused it getting more attention and arguably better reception than the most. At least during that time, the only other comparable work was probably Urobuchi's Phantom of Inferno which was released in the same year.
Even taking account eroges before 2000, it's still subjective. If you are more a fan of regular romances, you still have games such as Toheart, Kanon, Air (same year as Tsukihime but a few months earlier).
People who wanted to have some kind of rpg elements might have prefered Ikusa Megami or Pastel chime.
Kana imouto, Comic party, Kizuato and One are also among my classics before Tsukhime was released and if we include all ages VN i still have games such as Memories off and Never7 (any of the games in infinity serie were pretty good)

To say that Tsukihime really was the first one who "did things right", is completely exaggerating

edit:
Different subject : Shoujo Shin'iki , Shoujo Tengoku was a bit of a letdown
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 02:07   Link #4000
Kirayuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Even taking account eroges before 2000, it's still subjective. If you are more a fan of regular romances, you still have games such as Toheart, Kanon, Air (same year as Tsukihime but a few months earlier).
People who wanted to have some kind of rpg elements might have prefered Ikusa Megami or Pastel chime.
Kana imouto, Comic party, Kizuato and One are also among my classics before Tsukhime was released and if we include all ages VN i still have games such as Memories off and Never7 (any of the games in infinity serie were pretty good)

To say that Tsukihime really was the first one who "did things right", is completely exaggerating

edit:
Different subject : Shoujo Shin'iki , Shoujo Tengoku was a bit of a letdown
True, it was more about a "Wow" factor at the time. Pardon for being unclear with my last post, I was trying to point out from his previously mentioned criteria(albeit exaggerated) of most eroges at the time that had unusual approach in the story (the reason why I decided to use Phantom there) and well done in the process.

I'm aware of the subjectivity coming into play here so not every person will share that sentiment, wasn't trying to imply only Tsukihime "did things right" at the time. Personally I would choose AIR itself as the better work for that period, but looking from the perspective I mentioned Tsukihime took the cake there.

And I didn't count the all-ages VN because, well, they are not Eroge in my book.

@Shoujo Shin'iki
Haven't really started on it yet, but I only keep hearing bad things about it. Guess I will still give it a try since I do enjoy the art.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo game, ero-game, eroge, visual novel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.