AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2004-06-15, 19:35   Link #181
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Ok this is the more recent news I have gotten from abroad.

It seems the 4Kids didn't get the license for all the episodes. Instead they have only received the license for the first 50 episodes (due to their "whining") and if the public response isn't what they expect from such a popular show, they are apparently yanking the license from 4Kids and giving it to Funimation or some other company that are willing to license it.

Not to be technical here, but then isnt it alright for animesuki to post episodes 50>? Just a thought....(hope 4Kids loses it to someone decent...)
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 19:38   Link #182
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

That's usually how it works....
|)arK_Nin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 20:45   Link #183
Kouji
StrykerX

What's 4Kids gotten themselves into. But in other words they would be the laughingstock of the One Piece fans. And the fans would get the last laugh in the end.
Old 2004-06-15, 21:24   Link #184
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Ok this is the more recent news I have gotten from abroad.

It seems the 4Kids didn't get the license for all the episodes. Instead they have only received the license for the first 50 episodes (due to their "whining") and if the public response isn't what they expect from such a popular show, they are apparently yanking the license from 4Kids and giving it to Funimation or some other company that are willing to license it.

Not to be technical here, but then isnt it alright for animesuki to post episodes 50>? Just a thought....(hope 4Kids loses it to someone decent...)
Where did you hear that?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 21:26   Link #185
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

they prolly licensed the show without even watching an episode of it... unfortunately... they never realized that it was such a huge success in Japan cuz it wasn't edited into garbage...

I personally don't think that One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew are gonna be huge marketing successes here... the way I see it... the only way to attract the kids into buying lots of stuff is to have a show that has trading cards or tops as the main characters... time will tell though... as I could be wrong in the fall...
Old 2004-06-15, 23:22   Link #186
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Where did you hear that?
If I remember correctly, I heard it both from the downloadanime forum and the Kaizoku-fansub forums back when it was still functioning....for a sec.
Old 2004-06-15, 23:44   Link #187
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I've heard it as well. Although I think Kage-Bunshin heard it from me first. ^_^;;

But there is a lot of information going around that is saying almost exactly the same thing as Kage-Bunshin and I have said. I think I've seen like 4 sites that I can think of off the top of my head that have mentioned that. I don't know for certain if it's only episode 50 and below that 4kids got or if it's the whole series, but I suspect it's only season 1 that they got. Why? Well, probubly because that's how the licence to every long running anime series has been handed out. DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, you name it. If the company does good and the anime is popular they're given dibs on season 2 on up. If they don't do good, they loose the licence to do any further episodes and the licence goes up for grabs for anyone else wanting it.

From my understanding with OP, since Funi is doing the R1 uncut DVD's with subs, they'll get first dibs if 4kids F's this up and looses the licence. That's how I understand it all so far. Might have interprited a few things wrong, but I'm perty sure I'm right on.
Old 2004-06-15, 23:57   Link #188
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
I've heard it as well. Although I think Kage-Bunshin heard it from me first. ^_^;;
...come to think of it....i think I saw you at one of the forums.....

well anywayz I heard it from more than 1 forum so i think its pretty reliable...i think
Old 2004-06-16, 12:05   Link #189
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

^^ Welcome to a couple days ago.
|)arK_Nin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 12:23   Link #190
~Keitaro~

i know it longer but my last post was deleted
~Keitaro~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 13:08   Link #191
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
so i think its pretty reliable...i think
I think it is too, and it may suck for OP fans, and we may hate it, but I seriously hope that 4kids really mucks this up badly. I mean really badly. So badly to the point that they get their licence yanked in the first 10 episodes. The bonus would be them getting banned from ever doing another single anime ever, ever again.
Old 2004-06-16, 15:58   Link #192
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Keitaro~
i know it longer but my last post was deleted
You should have taken that deletion as a warning not to post such things.

Now you're banned. Hopefully when you return you will know not to post things like that again.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 17:42   Link #193
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Some people still whine about One Piece being licensed, why? I don't whine about licensed anime and I sure don't whine about One Piece. it's not the only anime out there.

One Piece is licensed so get over it and watch Naruto or something.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 17:52   Link #194
Sakura Haruno
Beauty and Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
Rofl, this is getting pathetic.
How the F*ck can this be pathetic? were trying to save an anime from being screwed over to little kids
Sakura Haruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 18:35   Link #195
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell
Some people still whine about One Piece being licensed, why?
Some people whine about other people whining about One Piece being licensed. Why?

Quote:
I don't whine about licensed anime and I sure don't whine about One Piece.
We don't care about the opinions on the matter from someone who obviously does not like or watch the show. In all honestly noone here gives a shit if the One Piece licensing put a grin on your face.

Quote:
it's not the only anime out there.
Thank you for enlightening us by pointing this out again. Everyone is obviously saying One Piece is the only anime out and not talking about the possible changes 4kids will make. God forbid we actually read the thread and see what everyone is talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura Haruno
How the F*ck can this be pathetic? were trying to save an anime from being screwed over to little kids
Go you
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!

Last edited by Lexander; 2004-06-17 at 05:36.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 20:03   Link #196
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Quote:
it's not the only anime out there.
Thank you for enlightening us by pointing this out again. Everyone is obviously saying One Piece is the only anime out and not talking about the possible changes 4kids will make. God forbid we actually read the thread and see what everyone is talking about.
Maybe she/he was trying to console the poor fans who are so "upset" by this licensing announcement by reminding you about other great shows to pass the time?

Anyway, I found this bit of info from the Animation World Magazine's Flash Newsletter:
Quote:
ONE PIECE ADDED TO 4KIDS' FOX BOX.
4Kids Ent. has announced it has added anime series ONE PIECE to its Fox Box
lineup for this fall. ONE PIECE, from Toei Animation Co. Ltd., is one of the
most popular children's animated series in Japan and took 4Kids a year of
negotiating to secure the rights.

Originating as a manga by creator Eiichiro Oda in 1997, the story follows a
young boy who is determined to become the king of the pirates. The property
has spawned five theatrical releases, eight videogames and in excess of $1
billion in retail sales since 1999, including products from more than 70
licensees. ONE PIECE's visibility in the U.S. began with its serialization
in SHONEN JUMP magazine and four graphic novels from Viz LLC.
Most of it we already know. 1 Billion dollars and not yen!!! Talk about a cash cow. OP is a money-making machine in Japan.
Old 2004-06-16, 21:28   Link #197
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Quote:
Most of it we already know. 1 Billion dollars and not yen!!! Talk about a cash cow. OP is a money-making machine in Japan.
I highly doubt One Piece is going to be even widely publicized here as

1) The fansub community will probably refrain from the horrific edit
2) Foxbox is no where near a popular tv station imo
3) 4Kids are shooting for an audience of probably under 9 which means they don't have money. THis is turn means they will have to beg broke parents who are suffering from the bad economy despite the recent improvements in the economy forecast factors.
Old 2004-06-17, 05:43   Link #198
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Maybe she/he was trying to console the poor fans who are so "upset" by this licensing announcement by reminding you about other great shows to pass the time?
yes yes ... it's good to know someone here is looking out for the fans
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 06:02   Link #199
Kyusaku
伝説なアンデッド

Send a message via AIM to Kyusaku
Quote:
Are you kidding? You didn't know? You know One Piece gets the highest ratings in when it comes to Anime in Japan, it has 2-3x times the ratings numbers of what other people might consider popular, like Naruto. And the fact the anime has been running for about 4-5 years now, al the toys and games. Even though the fighting games for consoles suck hard. There's been endless amount of toys, especially Chopper. Chopper is the #1 most popular OP character in Japan, #2 is Luffy.
Old 2004-06-17, 09:06   Link #200
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusaku
Are you kidding? You didn't know? You know One Piece gets the highest ratings in when it comes to Anime in Japan, it has 2-3x times the ratings numbers of what other people might consider popular, like Naruto. And the fact the anime has been running for about 4-5 years now, al the toys and games. Even though the fighting games for consoles suck hard. There's been endless amount of toys, especially Chopper. Chopper is the #1 most popular OP character in Japan, #2 is Luffy.
I know One Piece is freakishly popular and has a gajillion toys/merchandise (hence my first posts about it being mainstream), but I didn't know the exact sales figures. Hearing that figure boggles the mind. I wonder what the heck 4Kids paid for this...

Chopper is #1? Didn't know that.

My guess is that despite the edits or possibly poor dub (kids don't care), OP will still be awesome enough that every kid in America will dress up as Luffy or Nami for Halloween. One Piece could do for anime what Dragonball, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon did: introduce a whole new group to the hobby. Everyone starts somewhere.