AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2004-06-12, 18:33   Link #1
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Wink Kikou Sennyo Rouran - quite interesting

Just watched several episodes of Kikou Sennyo Rouran and find the series quite interesting. To be honest I didn't have any high expectation of it, I expected something along the line of Gravion, but so far I actually quite enjoy it. The chinese mythology based setting is interesting (albeit they do paint a bit too much Taichi graph everywhere), and the story so far seems quite unorthodoxical and original. Also despite it's obviously a low budget series, the animation and effects are nice too, and I think that chinese poem style ED song is good. Oh and the ten minutes a bite episode size keeps the pace nice IMO. Anyone else watching this series? what do you think of it?

Wow! I have to say this series is surprisingly good! I've been watching it non-stop to episode 23 now, the story is really original and very engaging, can't stop watching! I think I'll definitely finish this series in one sit through.

Last edited by xris; 2004-06-13 at 03:40. Reason: Use the edit button, don't double post
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 03:07   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I've been fascinated by this show also. I keep hoping that AW will get back to subbing this show since I feel that they did a far superior job to Miyuki, but mostly I just want more of it. Now that SC+Ani-Kraze are subbing it I ought to check out their sub of it.

The story is so marvelously complicated that it took me quite a while just to figure out who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. The two sides are very intertwined. I find it particularly fascinating the way that the struggle between ASY and the monster controllers began as an internal matter.

After 23 episodes I still don't know exactly what Rouran is or why she has two minds, though I think I'm starting to put the pieces of this story together. I definitely have to rewatch this show!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 04:36   Link #3
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

S-C is comprised of many former AW members, including Tellu54, the original translator of Rouran at AW. He decided to revive the project with S-C after watching all the episodes since he could go back and improve his scripts. So, it's basically the same as AW, except better now that we know what the hell all those obscure references were about! We're just helping him and S-C where needed .
Old 2004-06-14, 14:02   Link #4
dreamless

I guess not many people have seen this? I have to say it's quite a good series, and if you want a mech anime which is "different", it'll be a great series for you! The later episodes are quite dark and have quite some angst too, somewhat like a mix of EVA+Ayashi no Ceres, so it's also nice if you like darker animes

The story is quite unique, I think there are no clear-cut good guys or bad guys. Overall I'd give this series a solid 8.5/10, one of the better series I have seen lately.
Old 2004-06-14, 14:20   Link #5
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Okay...

I watched episode one and the thoughts running through my head were, in almost this order:
  1. "Dear god! Another Eva ripoff! Look, the powerful scientist guy is using his children to pilot/control/command giant mecha!"
  2. "For the love of... Gravity!! And why in the name of god did it transform into something that resembles the Macross?!"
  3. "Oh... something seems Nadesico-ish here. I can't quite place it but its there somewhere..."
  4. "Umm... what idiot is piloting/controlling that monster? Anyone with an IQ above 5 knows that if you put one hole in a bridge you've effectively destroyed it... did he have to shoot it two or three more times? Also, since when does steel explode when stuck by ligthning?!"
  5. "O.o; What? Did the mecha designer mug the mecha designer from FMP and steal his designs?! Less the giant fans on its back it's nearly identical!"
  6. "Wait a minute... Those are fans, so why isn't he flying? Oh... they're a giant beam weapon... WTH?!"
  7. "Well, at least its not another giant mecha with rotating flaming nipples... wait, I retract that thought."
People in the S-C channel have assured me it gets better and is actually quite good. I'll continue watching, but those rampant thoughts are hard to ignore...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 14:34   Link #6
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
the episodes are way to short, and the series seem to be too childish
in a way ..oh well this anime is made for kids :P
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 16:03   Link #7
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
the episodes are way to short, and the series seem to be too childish
in a way ..oh well this anime is made for kids :P
err... childish... nah, definitely not. About as childish as EVA I guess...

Where do you get the "childish" idea? I didn't see anything remotely childish, except maybe the occassional comical relief moments... which are far and between (I actually hoped for more of them, especially towards the end where everything becomes so depressing...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paper
Well, at least its not another giant mecha with rotating flaming nipples... wait, I retract that thought
where did you see the giant mecha with rotating flaming nipples in episode 1? I don't remember it.

well, the scientist using his kid to control mecha is similar to EVA, but that kid is surely far different from Shinji
Old 2004-06-14, 16:19   Link #8
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
where did you see the giant mecha with rotating flaming nipples in episode 1? I don't remember it.

well, the scientist using his kid to control mecha is similar to EVA, but that kid is surely far different from Shinji
I retracted it when the 'beams' of light that came from the 'fans' blasted those perfectly positioned little holes into that monster's chest...

There is one I did forget, it fits in before #1.
* "What's with the hair? Exactly how much hair spray is needed to have your hair stay like that? Wouldn't he get hat head or something like it after wearing the head protector?"

Last edited by Mr_Paper; 2004-06-15 at 11:00. Reason: Curse you TYPO~! *waves a fist*
Old 2004-06-14, 17:12   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Childish? Simple? Perhaps at first you might think that. Then things get... complicated. Very, very complicated.

As far as the hair spray issue goes, all I can say is that at least the hair is much simpler than Stellvia. This is just a standard anime issue. IMHO the worst hair in anime was the main character of Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto. Every time she was on screen I had the urge to grab a pair of scissors.

I'll hope you stick around for this show so that you can see just how complicated it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpsicat
S-C is comprised of many former AW members, including Tellu54, the original translator of Rouran at AW. He decided to revive the project with S-C after watching all the episodes since he could go back and improve his scripts. So, it's basically the same as AW, except better now that we know what the hell all those obscure references were about! We're just helping him and S-C where needed .
This is good to know. I'm definetly going to have to start rewatching this show from the beginning with the S-C+Ani-Kraze version then.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-06-14, 17:37   Link #10
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
As far as the hair spray issue goes, all I can say is that at least the hair is much simpler than Stellvia. This is just a standard anime issue. IMHO the worst hair in anime was the main character of Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto. Every time she was on screen I had the urge to grab a pair of scissors.

I'll hope you stick around for this show so that you can see just how complicated it gets.
I already promised the S-C staff I'd watch at least 10 episodes before I decide not to watch anymore.

Odd... I had this urge to try an pick her up by those curls. Although she did look far btter in those episodes/scenes where she didn't have them. ^^
Old 2004-06-15, 02:36   Link #11
dreamless

I think you'll get interested in episode 2, at least that where I was quite pleased and excited to see
Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-15, 11:02   Link #12
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I think you'll get interested in episode 2, at least that where I was quite pleased and excited to see
Spoiler:
Joy!

Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-15, 17:59   Link #13
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
I hav'nt seen a good senseless mecha anime, with bimbo's, and wild hair, for a while now.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 18:39   Link #14
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts
I hav'nt seen a good senseless mecha anime, with bimbo's, and wild hair, for a while now.
Sorry to disappoint you, but while you can make a case for the other two, this show isn't even vaguely senseless. It's very complicated.

Old 2004-06-16, 09:12   Link #15
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts
well, you won't see it in KSR neither... if you are looking for some pure hot-blooded mecha action you should look up Gravion or Godanner... there are plenty of mecha actions in KSR, but a lot more time are spent for character development and story progression... it has quite a good balanced mix for story and action... though maybe it could be a bit too little action if you are looking for a "senseless mecha anime"...
Old 2006-10-03, 10:02   Link #16
daddygoat

Did anyone ever sub the last 2/3 episodes (the specials) ?
daddygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 02:46   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Unfortunately no. I have some hope that Sugar Cube will... once they've finally finished subbing the last few TV episodes...

Old 2007-02-20, 19:07   Link #18
sivaraj

Talking Miyuki fansub and Animelovers Fansub

hi there....recently.....miyuki fansub released a batch file of the completed series anime called........ ' Kikou Sennyo Rouran ' ........from episode 1-26 but actually this episode contain 28 episode to final....so hopefully miyuki fansub or someone related will help me tell them about the missing last 2 episode...i really enjoy their sub for this anime..its well done....even thought its a 12 minutes per episode but thre story queit interesting.....anyway i couldnt contact them through irc...as im super not good in irc...hehe sorry..... ..... if anyone have the last 2 episode / plz tell me... thank in advance.....hopefully somebody read about this and will reply this
sivaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 20:00   Link #19
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Neither group, MnT nor AL has released anything in over 2 years. It is dubious that either of them still exists, though I would be glad to be proven wrong. That recently posted batch was not done by them so it is not evidence of their existence. (Please don't mention or link the site where that batch exits because it is not allowed on AnimeSuki for several reasons.)

As for the extra 2 episodes --in some places I've heard that they are 3 extra episodes -- they are specials which are not necessary to the series. MnT&AL are not going to sub them. It is possible that Sugar-Cube will sub them if they ever finish the original run of 26.

Old 2007-02-21, 17:13   Link #20
sivaraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Neither group, MnT nor AL has released anything in over 2 years. It is dubious that either of them still exists, though I would be glad to be proven wrong. That recently posted batch was not done by them so it is not evidence of their existence. (Please don't mention or link the site where that batch exits because it is not allowed on AnimeSuki for several reasons.)

As for the extra 2 episodes --in some places I've heard that they are 3 extra episodes -- they are specials which are not necessary to the series. MnT&AL are not going to sub them. It is possible that Sugar-Cube will sub them if they ever finish the original run of 26.
yeap hopefully ....sugar-cube will finish...anyway i checked www.animenewsnetwork.com and it says there 28 episodes....i have watched until episode 26...and the story is not finish..... so its a 28 episode anime
sivaraj is offline   Reply With Quote