AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-12-08, 01:28   Link #61
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Age: 27
WoW reviewers have plenty time to go through it. Closed beta, the serveral stress tests, and Open Beta. So i am not surprised if Blizzard was able to kink out the problems.

Quests at first are quite simple. Later it becomes more challenging. So does creatures become more varried. I love the fact its basicaly a world where you can go everywhere as long has you have a few silver.
PVP is rivalery between the Alliance vs the Horde.

Personally i love the game *waits for Christmas*.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 11:10   Link #62
Elat
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
FFXI or WoW

Ive Played FFXI before but i stopped and Im an FF fan.
Ive played warcraft, and I like it. World of Warcraft looks fun.

Should I restart FFXI or start WoW
Elat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 11:22   Link #63
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elat
Ive Played FFXI before but i stopped and Im an FF fan.
Ive played warcraft, and I like it. World of Warcraft looks fun.

Should I restart FFXI or start WoW
I guess that's more of a personal preference. Play the game you liked more and that appears to be able to entertain you for a long long time.

I don't think that people who suggest you to keep playing FFXI or WoW because they like it will help you at all.
__________________
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 14:07   Link #64
Rin-chan
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Downey, CA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Rin-chan Send a message via MSN to Rin-chan
Well FF11 and WoW are on opposite spectrums, FF11 is very highend graphics, very hard (needs lots of effort), Technical in minut, requires partying everywhere you go, lakes instant gratification. On the other hand WoW has more common graphics for MMORPG goes, Very easy to play, Not very tecnical at all(besides talent tree), you can bassical go to lv60 without going in one party (you would want to for the instances tho for rare goodies), and the game has instant gratification. You would think them being so opposite of each other would be easy to choose from but it isnt ^^;, i actually play both ff11 and wow atm.
__________________
Rin-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 15:03   Link #65
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
I just thought I would point out that just because WoW has instant gratification (something that too many MMORPG's lack, imo) does not mean that it doesn't have deep and lasting gameplay.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 17:13   Link #66
deathbygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
From what I've heard about FFXI, it suffers from huge balancing issues and the quality of the game experience is lower than others. I can't personally vouch for that, but it would be one aspect of the game to highly consider. Not to say WoW doesn't have its share of balancing issues either (friends keep on complaining about various WoW tactics, so I'm going to guess certain spells or characters are cheap there as well), but I've heard of considerably less than FFXI.

I think it comes down to whatever you feel more interested in playing. WoW can be an engrossing experience, as I think Blizzard made the transition from a static, ficticious land from one of their RST games into a living, thriving scene for their MMORPG rather well. However, I think the best decision would be playing the game that you have a lot of friends on; many will agree that it's not the game that makes the experience, but who you play the game with. WoW and FFXI will probably be an incredibly fun experience (again) if you've got a group of friends in real life playing alongside your virtual avatar. If you don't have any friends playing WoW or FFXI at the moment, choose whatever compels you the most. Maybe WoW will be fun; they have a free trial for a set amount of time, so I would suggest picking up on one of those codes if you're interested in how the game plays. FFXI, I assume you already have the knowledge to make your own decisions on that front. Either way, long as you're having fun, it's time well invested.
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 19:21   Link #67
KaiserBasara
Bannnned
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I didn't like FFXI for several reasons but I never played WoW

People are totally unresponsive on FFXI. You have to translate what you say whenever you talk to Japanese people on there with a filter

You also have to use things called macros to shortcut your actions. There's no way to move around with the mouse. The gamepad is the only thing that works, and it gets screwy at times

You also need a really good graphics card to play FFXI

Guild Wars is pretty good, though
KaiserBasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:06   Link #68
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserBasara
Guild Wars is pretty good, though
Of course these things are all personal preference, but all Guild Wars did was make me reactivate my WoW account. I just couldn't really get into it very much. Though I did find it to be a vastly superior experience to a lot of other MMORPGs.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:55   Link #69
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I would say WOW over FFXI...
I say that even though i played FFXI for months and only touched upon WOW... Why? because WOW seems to be missing the things that i felt was horrible lame in FFXI.

IMO, the absolute reliance on parties kills FFXI's enjoyment... after level 10, you can't progress(leveling and quests) without have a strong party with you, all you can do is farm(repetive) and camp(boring)... i mean, its alright at first its not to hard to get a party, but then as you get to the 50's it slows down horribly... you need way more exp to level and its way harder to find parties(many hours sitting around waiting)... not to mention the fighting gets a bit repetive... and theres probably also a few parts i could nit-pick on(artifact armor quest = Evil)... it took me 56 levels to realize the game was more of a chore then enjoyment.
FFXI is only worthwhile if you KNOW your gonna have a party/friends waiting for you online

Though for whats its worth, i think FFXI did something interesting by having the subjob system, and i thought the storyline told through the quests and missions was somewhat good... for an mmorpg that is anyway

From what i've seen out WOW, there is only a reliance on parties for stuff like quests... you can solo to level up, meaning you CAN progress without a party... IMO, that makes ALL the difference, since you have someting worthwhile to do while friends are not online. Another plus side is the PvP is much better in WOW... the gameplay and soforth also seems solid... not to mention you can also have as many characters as you want without paying an additional fee
I can't say much else on the pros and cons of WoW, since i don't know enough

but now, if i had to choose between the two, it would be WoW hands down... i may not know much about WoW, but the party reliance in FFXI is one hell of a heavy con, IMO
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 23:35   Link #70
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere in Shigeru Miyamoto's head
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
I played FF XI, but didnt last long. Too boring, Im starting to play WoW, then stopped since no one I know was playing. Eventually, we managed to get like 15 guys to all start together, which happened 2 weeks ago and now we are all playing WoW. I find it more fun than FF XI, hell even a hardcore FF XI that I know switched to WoW to join us.
________
Rhode Island Medical Marijuana

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:41.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:12   Link #71
FrostLich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I would pick WoW, IF you have a highly flexable schedual where you could put in several hours at a time very couple days. For a casual/hardcore player, lvling from 1-60 is a blast in WoW but you will get to 60 FAST weither your a casual or hardocre. At 60, you will be able to run a couple instances, play BG and etc but other then that, the only way to progress is to raid. Raiding requires 20-40 people within your guild and the guild will probably have a schedule. So if your guild raids at 8:00 pm every other day, then you better be able to make it or you'll probably get kicked out. Not saying that you wont enjoy the game if you cant raid because i like the game and i havent raided for 3 months. However, raiding is a major attribute in the 60s that helps you keep interest in the game. Especially since that most updates seem to be geared towards raiders which I find is complete crap cuz majority of players dont raid(pulling statistic out of my ass but i think its obvious).

Edit: Forgot to mention this but the reason why you want to progress is that the servers are quickly getting swamped by well geared players. Now this may seem fair since hardcore should be more well geared against casual players. But the main problem is that casual players almost have no way of gearing up after they get their basic set items. For example, if a hardcore player spent 100 hours within a week and got 3 epic items, dont u think the casual player who spent 100 hours within 3 months should get those same 3 epic items? The hardcore player will still remain ahead because within the time the casual player got his epics, he has already gotton even more epics. However in WoW it does not work this way, casuals no matter how much hours they spend cannot progress without raiding. PPl cant raid for many reasons such as non flexable hours, not being able to play for long periosd of time and etc. This problem is very relavant in battlegrounds where epiced geared players are simply owning casual players. There is of course a skill factor but i think anyone who plays mmorpgs know that time invested > skill. The problem will esculate when new raid dungeons are introduced where epics are becoming stronger and stronger while non raiders remain with their crappy items. The newest raid dungeon, AQ is already promising a lot for raiders and i'll say given half a year, a lot of ppl will have a lot of this stuff.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:48   Link #72
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Is that really any different than any MMORPG though? No offense, I've played a lot of them casually, and the only one that I could actually play casually and feel like I was accomplishing something was WoW. Yeah, it has the problem where you need to play a lot if you want to "compete" at a high level, but it's still fun without having to do so.

I frequently play for hours all by myself because none of my friends are online, and I can complete quests and whatnot while doing so, and I don't have to spend hours to get a feeling of accomplishment. If nothing else, I can usually log in for forty five minutes or so and just work on my trade skills or something.

I guess, to sum up, my experience is WoW has less of this problem than all the other MMORPGs, but it is still a problem because of the genre.

Though, granted, I never played FFXI, but from what everyone else is saying it has a lot of the same problems.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 01:37   Link #73
FrostLich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Is that really any different than any MMORPG though? No offense, I've played a lot of them casually, and the only one that I could actually play casually and feel like I was accomplishing something was WoW. Yeah, it has the problem where you need to play a lot if you want to "compete" at a high level, but it's still fun without having to do so.
Its not so much that you have to play a lot to compete at a high level. Its that no matter how much you play, you can never progress without raiding. This creates problems for people who cannot get into a raiding guild, cannot play at prime time (raiding time), cannot play for several hours in one sitting and the list goes on. The logging on for 30 minute thing and accomplishing something is only relavant pre 60 unless you log on kill a mob and get a epic in 30 minutues or farm to get rep.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:24   Link #74
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere in Shigeru Miyamoto's head
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
FrostLich: Dont forget that the expansion 1.9 of WoW will becoming very soon and there is a 10 lvl cap increase, where the max is now 70....better get started quick...
__________________
"Thank you to my Father, good bye to my Mother, and to the children of the world, congratulations!"
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 11:53   Link #75
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostLich
Its not so much that you have to play a lot to compete at a high level. Its that no matter how much you play, you can never progress without raiding. This creates problems for people who cannot get into a raiding guild, cannot play at prime time (raiding time), cannot play for several hours in one sitting and the list goes on. The logging on for 30 minute thing and accomplishing something is only relavant pre 60 unless you log on kill a mob and get a epic in 30 minutues or farm to get rep.

I guess, but I think you're still missing my point. My point was that WoW is the only MMORPG where I could, at any point in the game, log in for only 30 minutes or so and feel like I'm accomplishing something. Yeah, later on it bogs down, but at least I've seen the later on. I can't count the number of MMORPGs that I've never made it out of the free trial month simply because at the end of a month I was pretty much at the same point I started at. My point was that WoW offers a variety of gameplay experiences, not just for the hardcore gamer, but for the person who just wants to play and have fun.

I guess I was just trying to offer an alternative perspective since it's fairly obvious that you spend a lot of time playing. Some of us can't/won't, and if that's the case, then pretty much the only MMORPG I've ever seen that feels like you get to do something is WoW. Honestly, I (and other players I'm sure) could care less what happens at level 60, since I usually start a new character once I get past level 35 or 40.

Onto another topic, Guild Wars was also reasonably fun to play solo (at least, up until level 17 or so, which was as far as I played), but, IMO, there really wasn't the variety of things to do or places to visit that WoW offers. Again, I can't really speak for FFXI because I've never played it.

EDIT: Of course, a large part of the problem is that we don't know why exactly they stopped playing FFXI to begin with.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 11:20   Link #76
KaiserBasara
Bannnned
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I had a hard time soloing in guild wars and the online version of Neverwinter NIghts. I wish I could solo things easier
KaiserBasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 17:22   Link #77
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Neither of them. MMORPGs suck because they offer repetitive, uninteresting and boring gameplay in the same worlds all over again.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 00:09   Link #78
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
The only MMORPG I truely, truely enjoyed playing was Old-School-Pre-Care-Bear Ultima Online.

It was just...perfect...until they nerfed everything due to complaints by care bears.
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because at 65,726 bytes it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules.
Village Idiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 12:02   Link #79
FrostLich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I guess I was just trying to offer an alternative perspective since it's fairly obvious that you spend a lot of time playing..
I think your missing my point because what im trying to say is that the game isnt as fun unless your hardcore. For anyone whos casual and is willing to only stick to one character, this sucks. I only play on weekends and its fairly obvious that if you started from day 1, you would have at least 2 lvl 60s maxed out in all the possible equipment you could possibly have without raiding. However, i am now in a crossroads because I cant progress my 2 lvl 60s. I spend most my time simply lvling up a new char but after doing the quests over and over again im getting tired.

I reason you feel that you can accomplish something in WoW in a short amount of time is because you constantly switch characters. A lot of people dont do this for various reasons. By lvl 60 which even casual players can get to within 3 months can accomplish nothing within 30 minutues. Thus they have to reroll if they can only spare that amount of time and i hate rerolling. Although i can spare more then half an hour at a time. From experience, u'll have to spare 2.5 hours at a time to accomplissh anything if you include the amount of time to find a party at lvl 60.

This or the fact that your too casual. A lot of ppl who get mmorpgs are willing to spend the time to level. If they wanted to solo and play in short doses, they would get a solo game. Yes, WoW allows this from 1-59 but most people are not aware of this and would not get WoW because they want to solo.
Everyone and their moms have a lvl 60 character if not several. If you do a /who *lvl*, you would notice that the biggest population by far is lvl 60s. And thats not even including the fact that a lot of lvl 60s are probably playing their alt.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 13:22   Link #80
Linkthe1st
L33t Otaku M45t3r
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: in a cave which you never want to venture
Age: 27
simple WoW is addictive and for anyone who wants to have fun on an online only game. It's easy to play simple and has a lot of space for you to move around in i have never felt restriceted when playing it ever. for casual and medicore gammers.

FFXI however is another story. When i beta tested it it was ok, fun, (it was my frst MMORPG) and yes addictive but it was to regualr to other MMORPGs. the clasic binding point death and exp loss system is frustrating for anyone no matter how hard core you are. leveling was a serious pain and the entire time i played i was grinding for exp never having fun just kiling enemy after enemy. It felt empty with no fun.


Maybe it's just me but i think WoW is better since i'm medicore but i won't sell out FFXI it is fun. In the end i think that it depends on what you want. a serious challange and you have no prob with tons of grinding (i know some peple like to do that) FFXI. Fun and just playing to play while still making progress and not focousing on you exp bar WoW. I personally will sitck to Wow and FFXI both since i like them (though not equaly).
Linkthe1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.