AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-13, 13:38   Link #241
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
I just heard that Samurai 7's license was purchased. By what company, I don't know...but it wasn't the company I work for. Anyway, expect to hear an official acquisition announcement at a convention near in the future.
Nooooooo, you lie- I don't think I'll be able to bear losing another excellent looking anime to licensing

I'm going to simply hope that you don't know what the heck you're talking about.

Licensing Season= the suckiest time of the year
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 14:47   Link #242
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
Nooooooo, you lie- I don't think I'll be able to bear losing another excellent looking anime to licensing

I'm going to simply hope that you don't know what the heck you're talking about.

Licensing Season= the suckiest time of the year
Amen! I hope the storm just blows out without any more disruptions!

Old 2004-07-13, 14:57   Link #243
hobbs
nothing 2 do with calvin!

Send a message via AIM to hobbs Send a message via MSN to hobbs Send a message via Yahoo to hobbs
i agree with the pattern of sweetness... hehe
Old 2004-07-13, 15:08   Link #244
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsy
i agree with the pattern of sweetness... hehe

what pattern of "sweetness" ?

you been drinking?
Old 2004-07-13, 17:15   Link #245
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Well, it IS licensed. Whether or not they announce it now or later is what you're going to have to worry about.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 19:29   Link #246
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I would've imagined such a high quality anime to be licensed before it even aired... anyways, it's good it's licensed... but I hope they don't announce it till next year...
Old 2004-07-14, 05:32   Link #247
Operation X
old school subber (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol)ny ]V[al{
which subber is better, Akeep-ANBU or Lunar?
I have the same question, as well.

From watching shows worked on by both ANBU and by other subbers, I've formed a very positive opinion of ANBU's work such that I immediately prefer their version for new shows.

However, I checked out Lunar's episodes 3 and 4 of Samurai 7, and thought that their translation flowed quite well, possibly better than ANBU's. (To me, flow is the next step up from translation accuracy; it is the rendering of the dialogue in a "natural" English, one which the reader can imagine being spoken by the characters of that era.)

AKeep-ANBU's and Lunar's translations are pretty close to each other, at least for episodes 3 and 4. There are some translation differences that I haven't yet decided which I prefer -- Bandit versus No-buseri, for example. But there were a few simple lines which I feel Akeep-ANBU's version was off not in meaning but sheer flow, like at the start of Kanbei and Kyuzo's match where Kyuzo says nu-ke. Lunar renders it simply as draw, while Akeep-ANBU has Kyuzo speaking French with en garde. The meaning is clear, but it seems somehow inappropriate.

I do feel that Lunar completely missed the last, possibly most important line of episode 4, when a smiling Kanbei says (probably to himself) about Kyuzo, hoshii. Lunar renders this as We need him, which I feel doesn't come close to what Kanbei really said. He literally said I want him and that's what AKeep-ANBU has.

Despite this error, I think I'm still leaning towards Lunar's stuff, though I will try to watch both versions, which is hardly a burden because the show's been pretty damn good so far.
Operation X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 05:50   Link #248
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

i prefer Akeep and ANBU for this, i tried out lunar for 3 and 4, but i found the font to be ugly and a few lines didnt flow well (due to bad english), but hey, to each his own

#anime-classic
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 06:33   Link #249
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

For me, its whichever comes out first
Anyways, I like how Lunar uses no-buseri instead of bandits. No-buseri feels more powerful and threatening. I surely would not mess with the no-buseri, I'd rather take my chances with the bandits. Changing mikumari to dowser though was not cool.
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 06:49   Link #250
Mugen-X
BadAss

Akeep ANBU is doing a great job as usual the quality is a little better than Lunar and the font for Lunar i really dont like so i'll stick with Akeep ANBU. As far as the ep goes the robot guy is annoying the hell out of me but the anime is progressing nicely much better than samurai champloo IMO
Old 2004-07-14, 10:36   Link #251
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melty Snow
For me, its whichever comes out first
Anyways, I like how Lunar uses no-buseri instead of bandits. No-buseri feels more powerful and threatening. I surely would not mess with the no-buseri, I'd rather take my chances with the bandits. Changing mikumari to dowser though was not cool.

i preferred Bandits, i watched lunar 3 and was like "What the SHIT are No-Buseri?!? "

#anime-classic
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 21:37   Link #252
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I haven't watch the original movie. Who are the shikimoribito? are they a different faction like the nobuseri?

Last edited by Secca; 2004-07-14 at 21:51.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 05:44   Link #253
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
haiyah~

I dunno how to describe this anime la~

Is not really that bad neither does it good nor is so and so~

Is totally out of this world... i mean well... i dun think they deserve to be called samurai in the 1st place. Why? if you ask me, i'll say that, They are not using a Samurai sword which is the most important thing to their lives than anything else.

Is abit too modern for Samurais to even co-exist, but then again. It has a very strong story base and picture the scenary very nicely. I love the background and story line though...then again i don't like the hero. Why must the hero be an Oyaji??

sigh~ it seems to me that, there won't be any love story around this anime.

I might keep on watching till around ep6 and see whats the outcome. But then again i might give up this series like my other friends had....

I'm Chinese and love to speak a Chinese's Slang...
Hope you get the point in my message... >_<
Yuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 07:05   Link #254
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!

Post samurai 7

Most of u that are posting here have only seen the promo or the first episode. Well I have seen all four that were released and i think this anime is worth a look for those who don't know too much about it. U guys are ridiculous trying to judge this anime because it doesn't relfect the 1950s version of samurai7. I think of this anime as if i where seeing it for the first time and i think it is great.
quikimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 09:24   Link #255
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuun
Is totally out of this world... i mean well... i dun think they deserve to be called samurai in the 1st place. Why? if you ask me, i'll say that, They are not using a Samurai sword which is the most important thing to their lives than anything else.
There is actually no such thing as a samurai sword. It is a term coined by the foreigners to describe the swords commonly seen on the samurais. There is a sword commonly worn by the samurais and it is known as a katana with a paired wakizashi (or another katana). Even then the paired swords are just symbols of his office (samurai). Some samurais actually sucked badly at swordplay. Some are better at a certain weapon than swords.

Samurais are not called samurais just because they use katanas. Ganryu (Kojiro) used a Daikatana (which is not really acknowledged as a katana but a giant sized version) and is still known as a samurai. Gonnosuke uses a bo staff and follows the Way of the Samurai and is acknowledged by many as a samurai. There's even a samurai who uses an iron fan. When the samurais were an organised group, they were expected to be at least proficient in bow, swordsmanship (with any sword) and the basic spear/lance.

The key thing of being a samurai is following the Way of the Samurai. But it had been oversimplified in the end to being a title for any noble/capable warrior who had pledged their allegiance to a lord.

Quote:
Is abit too modern for Samurais to even co-exist, but then again. It has a very strong story base and picture the scenary very nicely. I love the background and story line though...then again i don't like the hero. Why must the hero be an Oyaji??
What does the time period have to do with a samurai? A true samurai follows the Way of the Samurai. As long as the Way exists and is followed, true samurais are still around. By your saying then, knights should not even exist in a mecha setting. But funny enough, an anime in that setting earned a lot of praise (Escaflowne) and was enjoyable. Names and titles from the past are constantly being brought back to be used in the present. Life styles and fashions from the past are continually resurrected and dying in countless cycles. Who can tell if organisations of warriors would not be brought back in the future either.

Quote:
sigh~ it seems to me that, there won't be any love story around this anime.
Does it really matter if there won't be a love story? Not every enjoyable anime had a love story. But anyway
Spoiler:
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 09:54   Link #256
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!

Wink possible love story involved

Yeah ur are yebyosh, if u paided enough attention, Kirara and the whimpy kid who wants to become a samurai seem to be more than just friends between each other.
quikimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 10:29   Link #257
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse
Yeah ur are yebyosh, if u paided enough attention, Kirara and the whimpy kid who wants to become a samurai seem to be more than just friends between each other.

You mean the little brat? maybe the little brat has a roboto fetish, and the robot got a lolitacon?

Well there's your love story for ya....
Old 2004-07-15, 20:33   Link #258
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Spoiler:

^^ Which one of the above Gonzo girls would you fight for? Kirara's the big one with a great set of pins attached. No need big b00bs for mega pervert and wannabe hero to appear

Poor rookie, being told he's not 'Man' enough to be of help must be crushing.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 01:06   Link #259
filipino heat
oro??

to ppl who have seen both the akraze and anbu fansubs, which do u think is better
filipino heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 02:38   Link #260
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse
Most of u that are posting here have only seen the promo or the first episode. Well I have seen all four that were released [...]
Uhh... I think pretty much everyone watched all four episodes released so far.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical