AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-18, 03:58   Link #321
Westlo
Lets be reality

Howard still has the kiss the rim dunk up his sleeve for next year. Was a great performance from Howard, not as awesome as VC from 2000 or JRich from um was he better one in 02 or 03.. I can't remember but still awesome.

Also Howard actually dunked that superman dunk in the practice session for this btw... check it out on youtube.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 20:24   Link #322
ApostleOfGod
^.^

This year's Allstar game was better than last years, because I think the players actually did try to play the game than just simple entertaintment. Of course, Allstar games never have defence but... -_-

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 17:34   Link #323
Tommy
Mr. Prince

The dunk contest was amazing.

Dwight Howard is the man!

But Gerald Green deserves props for that birthday candle dunk.

Here's a video of his 4 dunks. I recommend muting the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUZpKl2j9fs

The first dunk was just incredible, If only he landed it on the first try though.
Superman dunk was just awesome, even though technically he didn't dunk it.
Watching the third dunk in slow motion might be my fav, it's just cool.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 20:28   Link #324
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Pretty great dunks, I agree.

Anyways looks like it's back to Basketball season for some teams.
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 00:14   Link #325
Westlo
Lets be reality

If Chris Paul doesn't win an MVP this season after putting together a more impressive season than any of the 2 Nash won an MVP in I call bullshit. CP3 4 MVP and he has a chance to go down in history as the best small point guard ever ahead of Isiah Thomas.
Old 2008-03-27, 01:58   Link #326
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
If Chris Paul doesn't win an MVP this season after putting together a more impressive season than any of the 2 Nash won an MVP in I call bullshit. CP3 4 MVP and he has a chance to go down in history as the best small point guard ever ahead of Isiah Thomas.
As impressive as he's been this year he won't win it. Nash was fortunate to be a clear standout winner the first time, and I can see why he won it the second time even though it was controversial.

Unfortunately for Paul this is probably one of the craziest seasons the NBA has ever seen, the only prediction that has been on this season is that the Celtics have met all expectations and then some.

I would vote for Kobe personally, even though I don't like him. I mean how can the best basketball player in the world currently have never won an MVP? He's carrying the team right now in the brutal western conf without Gasol or Bynum.

You've also got Garnett who has led the Celtics to the best record in the NBA from what was the worst team last year. Very impressive. However the Celts proved to be a very tough team even without Garnett when he was injured for those few weeks so thats why he doesn't get my vote.

Lebron James is in the mix for obvious reasons, he's a frickin monster! The cavs really are nothing without him, in fact they would probably be lucky to have 20 wins if James wasn't there. He doesn't get my vote though because the team record just isn't good enough.

Then we got CP3, best PG in the game right now who has led the hornets into first place in the insane western conf. which no one saw coming. Hell the Hornets still don't get the respect they deserve and they won't until they prove themselves in the playoffs. If at the end of the season the hornets are in 1st he def has a chance to win it but I still doubt he will.

You could make an argument how taking anyone of these players away from their respective teams would make them implode so where do you pick from their? best record? Well whoever wins this year it will be controversial.
Old 2008-03-28, 10:18   Link #327
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
As impressive as he's been this year he won't win it. Nash was fortunate to be a clear standout winner the first time, and I can see why he won it the second time even though it was controversial.

Unfortunately for Paul this is probably one of the craziest seasons the NBA has ever seen, the only prediction that has been on this season is that the Celtics have met all expectations and then some.

I would vote for Kobe personally, even though I don't like him. I mean how can the best basketball player in the world currently have never won an MVP? He's carrying the team right now in the brutal western conf without Gasol or Bynum.

You've also got Garnett who has led the Celtics to the best record in the NBA from what was the worst team last year. Very impressive. However the Celts proved to be a very tough team even without Garnett when he was injured for those few weeks so thats why he doesn't get my vote.

Lebron James is in the mix for obvious reasons, he's a frickin monster! The cavs really are nothing without him, in fact they would probably be lucky to have 20 wins if James wasn't there. He doesn't get my vote though because the team record just isn't good enough.

Then we got CP3, best PG in the game right now who has led the hornets into first place in the insane western conf. which no one saw coming. Hell the Hornets still don't get the respect they deserve and they won't until they prove themselves in the playoffs. If at the end of the season the hornets are in 1st he def has a chance to win it but I still doubt he will.

You could make an argument how taking anyone of these players away from their respective teams would make them implode so where do you pick from their? best record? Well whoever wins this year it will be controversial.
If I had to narrow it down to two candidates it would be LeBron and Kobe, with apologies to Chris Paul.

From a numbers standpoint, LeBron is obviously the winner, as the league hasn't seen a 31-7-and 7 season since the days of Jordan (I think, don't hold me to that). In addition, the Cavaliers proved LeBron's value to themselves by losing all 6 games that he didn't play in. However, as many are quick to point out, the Cavaliers are playing in the weaker Eastern Conf. and are not even at the top of their division.

Kobe is my personal pick for the MVP. He has lead the Lakers to the top of the cutthroat Western conference and is playing possibly the best all-around ball of his career (28.3 ppg, 5.3 apg, 6.2 rpg is absolutely ridiculously good), and if not for LeBron would run away with the MVP on numbers alone. However, the counterpoint to be made is obviously Kobe's strong supporting cast. With the maturation of Andrew Bynum early in the season, the subsequent arrival of Pau Gasol, and the depth of the Lakers bench, it is clear that Kobe has the best team of all the current MVP candidates. What is not clear is whether Kobe's elevated play has rubbed off on his teammates, or his teammates improvement has padded his stats. I say its a combination of the two, but the Lakers are clearly the best team in the NBA right now, and with the impending return of both Gasol and Bynum, they will only get better.

Chris Paul would win the MVP any other season. Its a shame that Nash was given the award twice in two great seasons, but Paul, who has had a better season than either of Nash's MVP years (and quite possibly the best from a point guard ever, considering how tough the West is will not win it this year. In my mind, he could go down to be a top 5 point guard of all time if he keeps up this pace. Yes, he is THAT good.

I couldn't give Garnett the award with good conscience because he plays alongside two other superstars and in the Atlantic division (yeah, the same one the Knicks play in. Exactly.).

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume

Last edited by mcruz1014; 2008-03-29 at 11:28.
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 17:28   Link #328
CrYsYs
殺害

off topic a bit but laker fans HAVE to watch this for a good laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7_AlZFpsXQ

lol Lakers Rhapsody is hilarious (parody of Bohemian Rhapsody song rofl)

But yeah, as for MVP discussions...it's either going to Kobe or Chris Paul. On TNT Barkley said Hornets are top in the west, CP3 will get it, and if Lakers are on top, KB24 will get it. I sorta have to agree with that he said there, and hornets on top atm :X

I personally wish for Kobe to get it, since I've been a Kobe fan since 1997
CrYsYs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 17:34   Link #329
Westlo
Lets be reality

If Kobe didn't get it when Nash won his second (what a joke) than Lebron won't get it because of his teams poor record. It has to be between CP3 and Kobe and honestly CP3 is having the much better season, if the Hornets are within a game or two of the lakers he should get it. I don't think Garnet should get any first ballot votes period, Piece is just as vital to the team.
Old 2008-03-28, 21:15   Link #330
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

The problem with the Most Valuable Player award is that it has slowly transformed into a popularity contest meshed together with considerations that should not be factored into the granting of the award. What particularly pisses me off is that voters do not want to award it to same person over and over again, even when they undoubtedly deserve it, in order to give someone else a chance. Thus, we are treated to the spectacle of having Charles Barkley win the award in 1993 and Karl Malone in 1997. Mind you, Michael Jordan played both those years, won the championship both those years, and was clearly the best player on the planet both those years. To give an example of how silly this tendency has become, Michael Jordan actually finished a distant third in 1993.

In any case, the MVP year is almost certainly going to go to Kobe Bryant, above all, because he has never won one, and the scribes cannot deal with this fact. I actually think he should have won it for his 2005-06 season when he averaged 35 points a game on a team with one scoring option. That said, I do not think he deserves it this year. He played lackluster the first 15-20 games of the season when he was pouting about not being traded, and even know, there are players in the league playing at a higher level than him.

My own list goes:

1. Chris Paul: 21.6 ppg, 11.4 apg, 3.9 rpg, 2.71 spg, 50 FG%

2. LeBron James: 30.7 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 7.3 apg, 1.83 spg, 49 FG%

3. Kobe Bryant: 28.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 5.3 apg, 1.88 spg, 46 FG%
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 01:01   Link #331
Tommy
Mr. Prince

The reason Kobe didn't win it in 05-06 was obvious though, the lakers were 45-37. Lebron is in the same situation, he's playing like an MVP but the team just won't have a good enough record in the end. In fact I'm guessing their record will end up being almost the same as the 05-06 Lakers. .
Old 2008-03-29, 11:37   Link #332
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Ugh. Lakers lose 2 in a row and fall to 3rd in the West. Thats how brutal it is.

Off topic but, did anyone watch Davidson vs. Wisconsin last night. How about that Stephen Curry?

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
Old 2008-03-29, 11:53   Link #333
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
What I don't understand is, when both Gasol and Kobe are playing good, or replace Gasol with Bynum, it was all about Kobe and the greatness of the bench, or having the deepest bench in the league. When those guys are out, it was only Kobe carrying the team, and suddenly the bench guys are getting ignored...Strange, but true, as I heard this many times. And, if you look at the last few games, we see Kobe effect, losses to Memphis and Charlotte. I don't think he is better than Lebron, and if Gasol would not be there, it is possible for the Lakers to have a quite different record right now.

On the other hand, Paul was the guy who made the other players in his team grow into the players to lead the conference. In that aspect, he is currently more valuable than Kobe. And if Paul does not win the award, in the case New Orleans finishes the first in the western conference, it will be an unfair decision regardless of who gets selected.

(and I hope, it will be Suns, Jazz, or Hornets to win the Western Conference, at the end, showing the greatness of one of the best guards in the league, not the over-hyped Kobe)
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 13:45   Link #334
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Seems like in the past few games the Lakers has just broken down defensively for some unknown reason. However, I am still content to give the MVP to Kobe. Sure, Paul is a great guard (drafted him first in NBA live 08 lol). You would have to consider that the Lakers have been ravaged by injuries the whole season, with key players keep getting injured, and yet they still have this record. New Orleans, on the other hand, did miss some games with some of its stars like West, but in all they were pretty healthy throughout the season. I think it is more impressive to lead a damage ravaged team to this point than having a healthy team and having the best record. Also consider that Kobe is playing hurt, and still plays it at this level (even though the Lakers are not winning), it is a very impressive feat indeed.

That is just my humble opinion.
Old 2008-03-29, 17:04   Link #335
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
I think it is more impressive to lead a damage ravaged team to this point than having a healthy team and having the best record. Also consider that Kobe is playing hurt, and still plays it at this level (even though the Lakers are not winning), it is a very impressive feat indeed.
According to the many critics, Hornets players without Paul are your regular bench or second-string players in Lakers. So, if you are going to compare Hornets to Lakers, you should consider Lakers without Gasol or Bynum, that means excluding the major injury scenarios. In such a scenario, I see Paul to be more effective and more important to his team compared to Kobe.

And I don't remember Lakers performing any worse with Kobe's injury when they were winning with Gasol, overwhelmingly. Anyways, right now, the postseason performance matters the most, so Kobe won't have the excuse of not having Bynum or Gasol, when that time comes. And, let's hope for his fans, that he doesn't perform a post-season Dirk at that time. (I am still annoyed by their meltdown against the Pistons in 2004)
Old 2008-03-30, 09:29   Link #336
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruz1014 View Post
Off topic but, did anyone watch Davidson vs. Wisconsin last night. How about that Stephen Curry?
It's not off topic considering Lebron James was in attendance, and Curry put James to his feet. Twice.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 18:53   Link #337
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
MVP stands for Most Valuable Player right? Now if we think about this sort of economically, what is common is not as valuable as what is rare. Chris Paul is a PG. How many good PG's are there? Kobe Bryant and Lebron James are just overall excellent shooters and defenders and most likely going to the HoF. How many of THOSE guys do you see compared to PG's?

Kobe deserves it though.

As for a closing point, it's really annoying how they can't just get over the fact that people have won an award before and won't give it to them again simply because they won it before. Even if they clearly deserve it, this isn't about who already won it but who SHOULD win this one.
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 19:20   Link #338
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thentus View Post
MVP stands for Most Valuable Player right? Now if we think about this sort of economically, what is common is not as valuable as what is rare. Chris Paul is a PG. How many good PG's are there? Kobe Bryant and Lebron James are just overall excellent shooters and defenders and most likely going to the HoF. How many of THOSE guys do you see compared to PG's?

Kobe deserves it though.

As for a closing point, it's really annoying how they can't just get over the fact that people have won an award before and won't give it to them again simply because they won it before. Even if they clearly deserve it, this isn't about who already won it but who SHOULD win this one.
While Kobe would get my vote for MVP, Chris Paul is far from just a good PG. Anytime you have a player who leads the league in steals (2.70 spg), his team in scoring (21.3 ppg, last time I checked) and averages just over 11 assists per game, all while leading his team to the best record in one of the toughest conferences in NBA history, I think they deserve a little more credit than to be called merely good and definitely qualify as rare.

Old 2008-03-30, 19:28   Link #339
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Yeah, CP has been doing exceptionally well this season. No doubt. But it looks like Lakers are really strong this time. Not that they were bad or anything before, but they are doing exceptionally well too.

All this CP / KB talk, but don't forget East. Celtics probably won't have a MVP candidate this year, but Rockets, I'm not sure.. Raking up 22 win streak, they've definitely put their entire team up there. And Tmac is always an MVP candidate .

Between Kobe and CP though, I want CP to win, but it's probably Kobe.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 21:34   Link #340
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thentus View Post
Chris Paul is currently considered as the best point guard in the league, based on his performance this year. So, if you are going to evaluate players on the extremely good scale, Chris Paul is also there. Second, MVP does not equate to personal statistics, but rather the importance of the player to his team and the impact of that importance - so a combination of him playing on the team and not playing on the team (what the team can do without him compared to with him). In that aspect, Lebron loses, cause him being on the team does not create the best of the results, even though, he is extremely valuable to his team. Kobe's case is also not free of critics here, as for the most part of the season, he had great helping hands. And, the part that is open to discussion is whether those helping hands were great from the beginning, or whether he did make them great.