AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-06-15, 03:25   Link #1
Yamcahi13

(10060, 'Operation timed out')

My computer was hacked into early last week (destroyed all my anime files) so I got everything reinstalled and upgraded Windows XP service pack from pack 1 to pack 2. Last week I could use bittorrent just fine with high speed downloads and now that I have this new service pack every download I try with bittorrent comes up with "Problem connecting to server - (10060, 'Operation timed out')" I've tried many different fansub groups and I just can't get the download to even start. I can't take down security programs because that would give an opening to the hacker. I've tried older clients and the new one and I've also tried "right click save as" but I still can't get it to start. What can I do to fix this?
~Thank You!
Yamcahi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 10:57   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcahi13
My computer was hacked into early last week (destroyed all my anime files) so I got everything reinstalled and upgraded Windows XP service pack from pack 1 to pack 2. Last week I could use bittorrent just fine with high speed downloads and now that I have this new service pack every download I try with bittorrent comes up with "Problem connecting to server - (10060, 'Operation timed out')" I've tried many different fansub groups and I just can't get the download to even start. I can't take down security programs because that would give an opening to the hacker. I've tried older clients and the new one and I've also tried "right click save as" but I still can't get it to start. What can I do to fix this?
~Thank You!
It seems that the Windows XP firewall blocks the ports which your BT client wants to use. Install a client with which you can see the status of the torrent like Azureus (link see sig) or BitTornado. If the status is yellow all the time, it's most likely a firewall or router issue. Even if you don't have a 3rd party firewall installed or don't have a router, it could still be the built-in firewall of Windows XP which blocks the ports. My advice is to disable the Windows XP firewall and install a 3rd party firewall like Norton Personal Firewall or Zonealarm (freeware - but can't give you support with that one) which can allow ports to be opened by programs you specify.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 03:33   Link #3
Yamcahi13

Thanks for the sugestion but it didn't work. I tried configuring Azureus like you had it on your link but the little ball stayed red and didn't start downloading. I also tried BitTornado but it came up with the same 10060 error message. I would try Norton but that's what was hacked into last time so I can't go back to that and I don't think disabling the firewall would be good because then the computer could be hacked into again or I'd try it. Does anyone know anything about Windows XP professional service pack 2 and configuring the firewall so this 10060 error message doesn't show up?
Yamcahi13 is offline   Reply With Quote