AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-27, 12:26   Link #21
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

KURAU Phantom Memory - Discussion!

well since the promo has already been subbed and listed, and I have just watched the first episode, I guess I'll start a thread here for the discussion of this series.

So for what I think about the first episode... I think it got a very unique feel... it feels very... "different"... it's hard to describe, but one thing I'm sure is that I LOVE it! Somewhat reminds me of Ghost in the Shell, but still a bit different.

The music is absolutely beautiful, the animation quality is stunning to say the least, very detailed and smooth, and the action is super fluid, the atmosphere is perfect, I hope the later episodes can keep this up. This definitely looks to be turning into an AWESOME series
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 16:05   Link #22
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I'm glad to learn that you liked it, dreamless. I can't wait until episode 1 is subbed. ^_^
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 19:26   Link #23
Secret Squirrel

we're on the case! xD
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 09:22   Link #24
Secca
nya`
*Artist

There is that part that I don't understand, very looking forward when the translation done. The part just after Hakase said "futatsu no hikari" when Rinux explained what she is, I didn't quite catch what she means.

Rinux wa tsui di ikiru - Rinux is a pair/twin life form ?
Old 2004-06-28, 10:18   Link #25
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
There is that part that I don't understand, very looking forward when the translation done. The part just after Hakase said "futatsu no hikari" when Rinux explained what she is, I didn't quite catch what she means.

Rinux wa tsui di ikiru - Rinux is a pair/twin life form ?
Yes.
Spoiler:

This is quite an interesting concept, at least to me. you have the sci-fi plotline of the daughter who suffered an intersting phenomenon, then you have the underlying family tension/drama as well as a future possibility of psychological puzzler.

Professor Amami's torture through the post-Rynax incident was quite real.
Spoiler:

Kurau herself is a curious blend of bland and naughty personalities. A bored facial expression, yet a mischievious cute grin pops up here and there. When deep in thought, a brooding look appears. I would like to think of her as a Spock.

Perked my curiousities enough to follow this series for the moment (plus its original too.... I think... anyone can clarify if original source is a manga or novel?)

Hmm the 'agents' behave more like mercenaries or bounty hunters here...

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-06-28 at 10:31.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 10:37   Link #26
clem-kun
Shi-Fa Staff

Send a message via AIM to clem-kun
We're on it too ^^ Release expected within days

- EDIT -

Nevermind. We just dropped it

Last edited by clem-kun; 2004-06-28 at 12:26.
clem-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-28, 18:27   Link #27
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Someone may already have said this - but did anybody else notice the similarity in premise to Kono Minikuku Utsukushii Sekai? Two lines of light, two alien entities, each inhabiting the body of a human girl? The kicker is that Kurau is voiced by the great Ayako Kawasumi, who just happens to also be the voice of Hikari in Konomini.

Yet the two shows are completely different. I wasn't that happy with Konomini. I am really looking forward to Kurau. I would like them to develop her odd presonality further. She seems to be an uneasy mix of the human and the alien. It's almost as though the human Kurau and the Rynax are taking turns.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 05:30   Link #28
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM
Someone may already have said this - but did anybody else notice the similarity in premise to Kono Minikuku Utsukushii Sekai? Two lines of light, two alien entities, each inhabiting the body of a human girl? The kicker is that Kurau is voiced by the great Ayako Kawasumi, who just happens to also be the voice of Hikari in Konomini.

Yet the two shows are completely different. I wasn't that happy with Konomini. I am really looking forward to Kurau. I would like them to develop her odd presonality further. She seems to be an uneasy mix of the human and the alien. It's almost as though the human Kurau and the Rynax are taking turns.
Yeah I would say the big differnce between the two is that this show doesn't look like it sucks.

I just watched the first episode and its pretty interesting. Looking forward to the next episode.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 06:15   Link #29
Budweineken
Crap

Episode 1 released by Anime-Heaven (Anime-Honbu ?)

http://www.theanimehaven.com/BT/[ah]_kurau_-_01_[AD6231CA].avi.torrent
Budweineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 06:17   Link #30
dreamless

there is an episode 1 fansub released by AnimeHaven already!

EDIT: Umm... Budweineken beat me to it
Old 2004-06-29, 07:08   Link #31
wao
OK.

Okay, so I just watched it...

And WOW.

Dammit, Bones is so good. The first 10 minutes or so had some REALLY good human animation - the part where Kurau's father was running up the stairs, their expressions, it's Ghibli-like quality to me, who the heck is the motion checker for this anime? I was very impressed, stunned and wowed (waoed? ) by the animation quality. And then the character designs are typically Bones style, which I like too... I like their character designs more than any other studio's (most of the time). And when I saw the adult Kurau, I was really really pleased - it's one of the very few times I've seen an adult drawn so well and still looking like the child... how do I say it, well it really looks like the young Kurau's body had really grown up and the adult doesn't look too different or too similar.

And the music too. The piano music was just lovely, and even the ending song had this slightly muffled but I don't know what kind of quality, I just really liked it... It's the kind of song you'd like to hum slightly while trying to sleep. I just really liked it.

The pacing is also interesting. Is it good or bad? Before I knew it the show had ended (leaving me desparately wanting for more), and yet it covered what it needed to without any unnecessary breaks or pauses, yet with some breathing space. What needed to happen happened.

It did seem a bit rushed and sudden though, Kurau just suddenly turning into.. ur... Rinux (What the hell? It sounds exactly like Linux but... HEH O_o??)

Or whatever. But I'm very impressed and left wanting to watch more, so hopefully the rest will come revealed soon. Heh, and cool - this anime started on June 24th, my birthday! \o/ How special. *blush*

animehaven's subbing, imo, was good enough, but it could have been better, I think while some of the lines were fine, it could have done with a little tweaking and maybe QC (but I'm not so anal unlike SOME people about mere spelling errors). The biggest problem I had with it was mostly the typesetting, maybe I'm just totally not used to seeing all-caps as subtitling font... But even if you use all caps maybe the font could be changed, it's just distracting. To me. Then again you can't please everyone... heh
Old 2004-06-29, 07:36   Link #32
dreamless

Yeah, it's supposed to be Rynax, but they say it exactly as Linux... I know the Japanese "r" sounds like "l" (and there's no "l" in Japanese), but still... well, there's the "Square" software company, so I guess "Linux" is not that surprising...

I totally agree that the animation quality is really high for the first episode, especially the facial expressions and that awesome action sequence, they are of OVA/Movie standard! I hope they don't run out of money too soon, it'd be totally amazing if they can keep up this animation quality for the entire series. And music is surely absolutely wonderful for the first episode.
Old 2004-06-29, 08:15   Link #33
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Yeah, it's supposed to be Rynax, but they say it exactly as Linux... I know the Japanese "r" sounds like "l" (and there's no "l" in Japanese), but still... well, there's the "Square" software company, so I guess "Linux" is not that surprising...
Well... the official site for the anime series puts the name of the entity down as "Rynax" in English.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 08:24   Link #34
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Well... the official site for the anime series puts the name of the entity down as "Rynax" in English.
Dangit, and I know some of you out there were hoping for Windows-tan cameos, weren't you? WEREN'T YOU?!

I too hope this won't suffer from the Mezzo DSA-syndrome - where the first two episodes had stunning animation and then it went down the drain.
Old 2004-06-29, 08:37   Link #35
Boxy

Send a message via MSN to Boxy
Here's to hoping that this series keeps up its stunning begining.
Old 2004-06-29, 09:11   Link #36
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Man, the part with the agent just getting up and walking away and saying bye....
a "lol wtf" moment

First episode was too good, so it'll be hard for the rest of the series (how many eps?) to keep up. The biggest fear I have is that the whole series might fall into down into mindless action...
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 09:33   Link #37
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melty Snow
Man, the part with the agent just getting up and walking away and saying bye....
a "lol wtf" moment

First episode was too good, so it'll be hard for the rest of the series (how many eps?) to keep up. The biggest fear I have is that the whole series might fall into down into mindless action...
I think this series has around 13 episodes? heard it's gonna end in September...

I actually fear the series end up without much action in later episode... I mean that action sequence is just so fantastic I can't imagine how much money they burned on it...

BTW great avatar and great user title
Old 2004-06-29, 11:03   Link #38
Kiro
chocolate overdose

woah. just watched ep1 and it's allready on my must watch list. pretty damn good animation, no annoying characters (yet) and they got to the point of the series rather quick (maybe to fast for some. a lot happened in that first episode) while still giving out enough riddles for the viewer.

short version: i like!
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 19:09   Link #39
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
heh, ya ep1 is pretty good... expect a release from us soon... sans A-H's plain typesetting =p
SCR512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 21:00   Link #40
Kai-Lapis
Translator-ish

Smile So... ^^;

I'm glad some people liked Kurau 01.

The series is 20+ episodes long, according to the interview here. I hope it continues to be a good series.

Tags
drama, sci-fi