AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-07-04, 16:36   Link #81
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
Someone's actually gonna continue to sub this? Hmm, I'm already kinda turned off by this series after ep2. Might snag their ep3 to make a final decision on if I'm gonna end up buying the dvd's of this or not. Still not totally decided yet. Most likely I won't bother buying the dvd's cause if a series makes me question it so strongly in the first two episodes usually has a 1 in 5 chance of making it onto my "must have" purchasing list.
__________________
Visit my new writing website at:
www.realmsofimagination.net
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 16:46   Link #82
Za Paper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Someone's actually gonna continue to sub this? Hmm, I'm already kinda turned off by this series after ep2. Might snag their ep3 to make a final decision on if I'm gonna end up buying the dvd's of this or not. Still not totally decided yet. Most likely I won't bother buying the dvd's cause if a series makes me question it so strongly in the first two episodes usually has a 1 in 5 chance of making it onto my "must have" purchasing list.

I think you're in the minority here. I really liked the first 2 eps and I hope to see more.

Last edited by Za Paper; 2004-07-05 at 23:20.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 05:58   Link #83
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Kurau on DVD might be worth a purchase for me. Not sure yet. It could turn into something special. The last part of the second episode took my breath away. I think Secca put it best.

Also, at the risk of sounding pompous, I think a licensing announcement should be a time for celebration, not condemnation. Some people have gotten so wrapped up in fansubs that they have formed in their minds an incorrect idea. They instinctively feel that a licensing announcement means that fewer people will be able to enjoy a title, instead of more. Of course, in the long run, the opposite is true.

Of course, I have unfair advantages. I can understand Japanese. I live near a place that has a huge selection of anime DVDs for rent. I have enough disposable income to purchase several series' worth of DVDs. For someone who must rely on subtitles to understand content, lives nowhere near a place that rents anime so you can try before you buy, and can't afford more than a very few DVDs, the stopping of a fansub can be upsetting. I think I can see how that person might get angry, especially with ADV, a company that's been known in the past to take a longer-than-average time to get things to market. Not living in Japan or North Amercia might hurt too. But overall, I do not think I am wrong.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 09:32   Link #84
pcjoe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM
Kurau on DVD might be worth a purchase for me. Not sure yet. It could turn into something special. The last part of the second episode took my breath away. I think Secca put it best.
Damn strait ^_^ Kurau is definatly a worthy purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM
Also, at the risk of sounding pompous, I think a licensing announcement should be a time for celebration, not condemnation. Some people have gotten so wrapped up in fansubs that they have formed in their minds an incorrect idea. They instinctively feel that a licensing announcement means that fewer people will be able to enjoy a title, instead of more. Of course, in the long run, the opposite is true.

Of course, I have unfair advantages. I can understand Japanese. I live near a place that has a huge selection of anime DVDs for rent. I have enough disposable income to purchase several series' worth of DVDs. For someone who must rely on subtitles to understand content, lives nowhere near a place that rents anime so you can try before you buy, and can't afford more than a very few DVDs, the stopping of a fansub can be upsetting. I think I can see how that person might get angry, especially with ADV, a company that's been known in the past to take a longer-than-average time to get things to market. Not living in Japan or North Amercia might hurt too. But overall, I do not think I am wrong.
I pretty much summed up most of my feelings about licencing here.
I get what you're trying to say, and you're right. In the long run, this anime will get to more people. That's fine and dandy, but if I'm watching a series now I would really like to finish it.
Like you noted above, I don't understand Japanese and I definatly cant afford to be buying DVD's. I'm attempting to get a job, but I doubt i'll have much spare change once I start paying for car insurance/gas/whatever else I need.
It is very upsetting when you get into a series just to know it got licenced, and you have no chance of seeing that series for the next 6 months (assuming you can afford the DVDs when they come out). If you use the FMA example in my other post, you'll have to wait over a year just to get to the same place the anime is currently at in Japan.
What even makes it more upsetting is that I'm going to be waiting for something I dont want to buy, or support. I don't want to touch the english dubs, I just want english subtitles with Japanese audio.
On the other hand you have the people who understand Japanese, download RAWs, and continue their anime viewing without a problem. It's natural for them not to really care too much.
*sigh* It would be really cool if we had a Japanese network over here that aired anime at the same time with subtitles
pcjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 20:36   Link #85
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
The episode 2 was good. I think that the story will talk about Kurau doing some investigation and later being obligated to protect Christmas against some people who wants to exploit her abilities. Maybe we'll see something about Kurau's mother or something. The "atom" Rynax thing has targated only kurau in the labotary. It could have been in anybody else body. Why her?

Guess i'll have to wait to see ep 3 like everyone else.
Do we really only wait one years to get an anime after it is licensed?
I hate Quebec we always have everything late!

WHY Did they already licensed it
(sorry if i sound stupid and emotional, i'm still in shock)
__________________
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 21:10   Link #86
guest
guess
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
The "atom" Rynax thing has targated only kurau in the labotary. It could have been in anybody else body. Why her?
because Kurau calls out for Rynax. I think it was revealed in the first ep. "Why?" Kurau's father asks, but Rynax doesn't know, either. Guess we will find out when DVD is out.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 21:28   Link #87
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: in a cold puddle
Girrrrrrrr
ADV better do good job dubbing and subbing this. This series needs justice done to it at the very least .
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 23:25   Link #88
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjoe
*sigh* It would be really cool if we had a Japanese network over here that aired anime at the same time with subtitles
It would be VERY COOL to have a network that specialized in broadcasting subtitled anime (maybe with even the option of turning them off by caption or something). I dunno if such a thing would be any bit profitable... but I wish it were.
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 23:32   Link #89
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
there is going to be a good chance that Kurau will be on their AnimeNetwork... Is it possible to use such a service with AnimeNetwork? like the option of having dual audio and subtitles? that would make me subscribe to AnimeNetwork instantly...
__________________
Prince of Chronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 23:54   Link #90
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
I don't know if anyone's still interested, but I just love to ramble in public about a show I like, and I like Kurau. I just saw episode 3 raw. The production values are still high. There's something refreshing about the action scenes in this show. Things happen quickly, at a furious pace. The camera doesn't linger, or show multiple angles, as happens in many anime. Hell, even the pacing of the storyline itself has been much faster than average. A lot has happened in these three episodes.

The show also FEELS light. There's no sense of impending doom that premeated Wolf's Rain. This despite some potentially dark events that are coming to light. I guess that's partly a function of the fast pacing, but it's also a function of Kurau herself. She's just so damn powerful, yet she seems very matter-of-fact about her abilities. It almost feels as if the show is constantly on the verge of spinning out of control, because right now, her abilities seem really unbalanced in relation to others around her. But I'm sure that will change in later episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if the show takes on a much darker tone later on, maybe even as dark as Wolf's Rain. Considering Rynax's powers, there's even a possibility of an end-of-the-world type scenario at some point.

BTW, there's some mention of a list of "Ryna-sapiens." So are there others like Kurau?
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 00:58   Link #91
Secca
nya`
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Yeah, the plot are moving quite fast
Spoiler for ep 3:
__________________
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 11:11   Link #92
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I also have to agree that I'm not excited about episode 3 as I was with episode 2. Maybe they revealed everything too fast in episode 2, now we know what happens, they run from the police etc etc
__________________
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 11:16   Link #93
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Time Warp/Future
well, I heard this series is gonna be only 10 episodes... if it's true then it's a good thing to be a bit fast paced
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 08:42   Link #94
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NYC
I think someone already said that a BONES representative officially stated it is going to be 20+ episodes. BONES has never done a series shorter than 24, so I doubt they would do a 10 ep / 13 ep anyway. At least for now.

Episode 2 was really wonderful. The only thing I'm worried about is that it's going to become really predictable. That is, Christmas gets captured soon and that makes Kurau angry and she breaks into the police base to get her back while they're experimenting, etc. Two recent series that have employed this recently are FMA and Avenger. Avenger pulled it off really really well because it was really necessary for the plot to unfold, and it was done near the end of the series anyway. FMA was okay cause the whole thing took place during only one episode.

What I would like is Kurau getting captured and Christmas having to go save her. That'd be a nice twist
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 06:39   Link #95
thelightandthedark
Ninja Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Just watched #3 .

Sooooooo Goooooood.

This series is probably my favorite at the moment.

Can't wait till the next one.

NOTICE: btw the post of mine deleted above mentioned nothing about subbing a liscened anime.

It merely said that someone (not specified) was doing it and as far as I am aware that is not against animesuki policy. Please let me know if I am wrong.
__________________
Best Manga ever - Nausicaa And the Valley of the Wind


Last edited by thelightandthedark; 2004-07-24 at 08:39.
thelightandthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 08:02   Link #96
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
there is going to be a good chance that Kurau will be on their AnimeNetwork... Is it possible to use such a service with AnimeNetwork? like the option of having dual audio and subtitles? that would make me subscribe to AnimeNetwork instantly...
That technology to have subtitles turn on/off and having dual audio for TV already exist here for over 10 years. Not sure about the dual audio, but the subtitles are done by teletext.

But I don't think that technology is supported with NTSC *shrugs*
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 09:06   Link #97
HydraDragoon
???!!!???!!!?!?!
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Just watched ep 3 myself and it was very good. I like the way the series is developing fast and not sitting around in order to fill episodes. I mean, they could have spent a few eps focusing on childhood flash backs and stuff, but they managed to give us all the info we need in about half an ep.

Spoiler for Episode 3:
__________________
HydraDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 21:30   Link #98
eXistenZ
pls..crac...anime need
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
actually the technology for second audio and teletext is avaiable all over north america. its not pal specific either.

the second audio is called SAP which is second audio program, and teletext is tv caption which is basically the same thing. my tv supports both of these features. if anime on tv could come like that it would be very cool.

episode 3 was awesome too.
__________________
Anime is my Crack. I need therapy
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 23:21   Link #99
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydraDragoon
Just watched ep 3 myself and it was very good. I like the way the series is developing fast and not sitting around in order to fill episodes. I mean, they could have spent a few eps focusing on childhood flash backs and stuff, but they managed to give us all the info we need in about half an ep.

Spoiler for Episode 3:
I just saw episode 4 and I dunno... The music is impressing even more. (When the OST is released, I am SO there!) But the plotline is really going out of control.
Spoiler:

Last edited by RobertM; 2004-07-24 at 23:44.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 03:26   Link #100
Secca
nya`
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I'm confused too on what hapen in the end,
Spoiler for ep 4:
__________________
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, sci-fi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.