AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-07, 14:31   Link #1
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Great news Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! fans!

Both Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! wll be released on DVD with the uncut Japanese version with subtitles. It's the first time 4Kids Productions actually did something smart! I'm not sure when the release date is so don't bother asking.
Old 2004-06-07, 14:58   Link #2
White_Line

Send a message via AIM to White_Line
Wink

That would be awesome acutally...

But you just have to think about this though...if 4Kids are having this come out aren't THEY the one that are doing the subtitles?? If that is so, then it's not much difference from the crappy English ones they have...unless somebody else is translating then I probally won't even consider them.

Do you know who's doing the subtitles?
Old 2004-06-07, 15:04   Link #3
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Actually Funimation is releasing them, you can read about it in the article posted on the Gunslinger Girl topic in this forum. Here's the excerpt from the article:

"Funimation also then announced an uncut Shaman King release, which they got through 4Kids. Oct 19. There will be a dub and sub, though the dub will still have the Saturday morning names.

Next up, Funimation then even announced an uncut Yu-gi-oh release. It?s still the first season that 4Kids came out, and it also comes out on Oct 19. Two volumes will be coming out for both Shaman King and Yu-gi-oh, and pricing may be estimated at around 3 episodes at $19.98. The release schedule is dependant on sales"
Old 2004-06-09, 00:35   Link #4
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
3 episodes for $19.98, too much. Why bother buy them when I can see them for free on TV. Yu Gi Oh! is being broadcasted on the WB pretty much daily, and next season of Shamman King will be aired at the end of the summer on FOX. I might as well wait.
Old 2004-06-09, 00:39   Link #5
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I am probably going to get the shaman king dvds when they come out... that show was awesome... though I've never caught the bastardized saturday morning show everyone keeps talking about... if you guys says that dvds will be uncut and have subtitles... then it's all good...
Old 2004-06-09, 01:15   Link #6
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
3 episodes for $19.98, too much. Why bother buy them when I can see them for free on TV. Yu Gi Oh! is being broadcasted on the WB pretty much daily, and next season of Shamman King will be aired at the end of the summer on FOX. I might as well wait.
...20 bucks is CHEAP compared to what some companies (like Viz) charge for 3 episodes
...REMEMBER we still get a good deal on anime compared to the japanese having to spend the equivalant of around $50 for 2-3 episodes
Old 2004-06-09, 01:58   Link #7
White_Line

Send a message via AIM to White_Line
Wink

*nods* 20 bucks is pretty cheap for 3 episodes. Some of the dvds that I bought have 3 episodes on them and they cost 30-40 something bucks usually. I wanna get some of the dvds when they come out then if it's by funimation. ^__^
Old 2004-06-09, 09:06   Link #8
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
That's great, if you like dubs.

I'm really excited for this because I much prefer to see the show in Japanese with subtitles. I hate to admit it, but I'm a pretty big Yu-Gi-Oh! fan and although 4Kids' dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't half as bland and boring as their other dubs (like Sonic X) I still need to see this in it's original form. I'm really glad FUNimation finally got 4Kids to agree to this, and I strongly encourage everyone who's a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King to buy and support these - if they don't sell well, then the chances of 4Kids allowing FUNimation to release One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew in subtitled Japanese form is slim to none. And even if you don't care for One Piece or Tokyo Mew Mew, think about what else 4Kids could snatch... like Naruto or Hunter x Hunter or Prince of Tennis or nearly any other Shonen Jump series...

And for those complaining about the price and number of episodes - it'll be very hard to do it otherwise. It sounds like Shaman King will be released in a billingual format with both the TV English dub (edited) and the original Japanese version (I know they say the English dub is also uncut... but it really doesn't add up when they mention the names). My guess it that this will get the Initial D style of release, with the English version being a seperate video track from the Japanese version... meaning that, in essence, you've got 6 episodes on one disc. It's hard to get much more without lessening the quality and raising the price to Fruits Basket proportions, so a three ep. per disc format makes sense. And at $20, that's not bad by itself, but remember that's just the retail - Best Buy will probably carry the things for around $15, and sites like www.deepdiscountdvd.com will likely have it for around $10 - not to shabby at all.
Closed Thread